Best courses in Twin Cities, MN

rlheiman

I'll throw a total screwball here, but Pebble Creek up in Becker is pretty solid, especially for the $$. There are 3 nines, one of them sucks but the other two are nice.

Never played it, but I've heard good things about Willingers down in Northfield.

I am from Woodbury, so I am partial to Stone Ridge and Prestwick (although for the $$ Prestwick is not worth it anymore)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw a total screwball here, but Pebble Creek up in Becker is pretty solid, especially for the $$. There are 3 nines, one of them sucks but the other two are nice.

Never played it, but I've heard good things about Willingers down in Northfield.

I am from Woodbury, so I am partial to Stone Ridge and Prestwick (although for the $$ Prestwick is not worth it anymore)

I've been meaning to play Pebble Creek. Which 9 is the one to avoid?

Willingers is on the to-do list for me too. Kind of a trek. (Northeast side here as well.)

Right now, I'd settle for playing in a corn field. Melt snow!!!

i live literally 5 minutes from the chaska town course so I play there quite frequently and it is a great course..... 18 is probably my least favorite hole on that golf course!! our coaches try and get us to go like 6 iron-6-iron-6iron. I think I have only birdied it once.....Also if you are looking for some good values..Dahlgreen Golf Club is a classic as well Deer Run Golf Course that is a nice one. One of my personal favorites is Baker National which is out in the middle of nowhere.

That 18th got me on my tee ball. Had such a good driving day going too! Reminded me a LOT of the 18th at Rush Creek.

How were the conditions out at Baker last year? Never played it, and have heard mixed reviews on the conditions. Kind of a haul for me, so I don't want to make the journey if it isn't really nice like the Town Course was.

I've been meaning to play Pebble Creek. Which 9 is the one to avoid?

Willingers is on the to-do list for me too. Kind of a trek. (Northeast side here as well.)

Right now, I'd settle for playing in a corn field. Melt snow!!!

The red and white 9 are usually played as 18, those are the good 9's. I would avoid the blue nine.

if any of u guys are up for a drive.... giants ridge is AWESOME-best course I have ever played honestly it is built out of a quarry IMO but it is really cool

I've heard wonderful things. Plus, the son of TexPort, who is a great member here, is the head golf professional!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Well, looks like this weekend might be (gulp) the "Last one." I made a tee time as a single for the Links at NorthFork on Sunday at 12:36PM. Their tee sheet is pretty open, and the other 3 slots for my tee time are open. Open invitation to anyone that would like to get in 18 on Sunday! Can book tee times on their web site:

http://www.golfthelinks.com/

Come on out if you can make it!

-Mike

Dang it, thats my home course. That was right when I moved to AZ otherwise I'd have played with you.

How did you like the links? First time there?

i live literally 5 minutes from the chaska town course so I play there quite frequently and it is a great course..... 18 is probably my least favorite hole on that golf course!! our coaches try and get us to go like 6 iron-6-iron-6iron. I think I have only birdied it once.....Also if you are looking for some good values..Dahlgreen Golf Club is a classic as well Deer Run Golf Course that is a nice one. One of my personal favorites is Baker National which is out in the middle of nowhere.

That 18th got me on my tee ball. Had such a good driving day going too! Reminded me a LOT of the 18th at Rush Creek.

How were the conditions out at Baker last year? Never played it, and have heard mixed reviews on the conditions. Kind of a haul for me, so I don't want to make the journey if it isn't really nice like the Town Course was.

The 18th got me there also. The only time I ever broke a shaft in anger. Snapped it twice into the drink off the tee, slammed my shaft against me bag and it cracked. ;)

I'm not a fan of Baker National. It's O.K. Nothing special.

if any of u guys are up for a drive.... giants ridge is AWESOME-best course I have ever played honestly it is built out of a quarry IMO but it is really cool

Early last June, my buddy rlheiman and I took a one day road trip up to Giant's Ridge from the Cities. Left at 6AM and played The Quarry at 10 AM. Awesome course, had a blast. Got done about 2:30 (long round) and high-tailed it over to The Legend for 18. I think we teed off about 3:15 there and got done around 7:15. Some dinner and we hit the road again. Home by midnight. Man, was that fun, but not sure I could handle it again all in one day. What a marathon! Two of the best courses I have played. I liked the challenge of the Quarry, and there were a few holes at The Legend that were really scenic.

Well, looks like this weekend might be (gulp) the "Last one." I made a tee time as a single for the Links at NorthFork on Sunday at 12:36PM. Their tee sheet is pretty open, and the other 3 slots for my tee time are open. Open invitation to anyone that would like to get in 18 on Sunday! Can book tee times on their web site:

-Mike

Dang it, thats my home course. That was right when I moved to AZ otherwise I'd have played with you.

I like it. I play there a fair amount. At least 6 times each summer. Sometimes more. For the price its a great course. It used to be in a little better shape. Sometimes the pace of play can get brutal too on the weekend. Fun when the wind blows though!

-Mike

I like it. I play there a fair amount. At least 6 times each summer. Sometimes more. For the price its a great course. It used to be in a little better shape. Sometimes the pace of play can get brutal too on the weekend. Fun when the wind blows though!

Yeah, the wind is almost always blowing. They say 15-20 mph and it's like a gail out there. Makes you play shots though which is fun. Controlling your trajectory is needed to play well. Plus bent tee to green which I really like. I hear what you say about the conditions, use to have superfast greens years ago. Still not bad though at all IMO. All of corporate tourneys really beat up the course. ;) It would be nice if they would let it dry out so you could bump and run shots too.

The Links at Northfork is my home course also. At least according to my ghin card. I've noticed that the rough hasn't been as thick the last couple years. Mainly due to lack of rain the past summers. The wind is always blowing and I think the course plays pretty long, especially the front nine. What do you think hole 15? that one eats me up.

-Mike

Yeah, the wind is almost always blowing. They say 15-20 mph and it's like a gail out there. Makes you play shots though which is fun. Controlling your trajectory is needed to play well. Plus bent tee to green which I really like. I hear what you say about the conditions, use to have superfast greens years ago. Still not bad though at all IMO. All of corporate tourneys really beat up the course. ;) It would be nice if they would let it dry out so you could bump and run shots too.

I always thought that too. It would really play more like a "links" course then. Of course, rounds could get really long too if too many people were skulling shots across every green. The green speeds are still OK, but the rough is gone and everything is just a tad on the "shaggy" side now. I think less golf= less money for upkeep. Logger's Trail, Saw Mill, Big Fish, The Jewel, and Northfork have all combined to offer an all-in-one membership deal for '08. The common trait: they all seem to be hurting for business. Only nice thing is that the tee sheet at Northfork is pretty open these days, but how long can that last?

The Links at Northfork is my home course also. At least according to my ghin card. I've noticed that the rough hasn't been as thick the last couple years. Mainly due to lack of rain the past summers. The wind is always blowing and I think the course plays pretty long, especially the front nine. What do you think hole 15? that one eats me up.

That hole is a pain in the posterior. I've had really good tee shots the last few times, right at that 150 pole, but the wind always seems to be in your face going up that hill into the green. I seem to like that trap front right. I always feel I've made a birdie with a par on that hole.

I tend to play 16 poorly a lot too. That's quite a hike up that hill after the 15th green and I tend to hook my tee shot OB then on 16. That hole just doesn't fit my eye on the tee box. It's a good hole really. 18 is a brute into the wind too. Come to think of it, many good rounds there through 14. If you can escape with pars coming down the stretch, you've played those holes very well.

• 1 month later...

One of the best places to go that nobody has heard of is def a "gem". Its called the Jewel created by Hale Irwin. I'm not about to read through all of this if this was already posted, but WOW is this one amazing course! I've played everywhere and this is up there with some high end courses.

If you can ever get the chance play Spring Hill CC, Hazeltine, or my favorite, Northland Country Club in Duluth. Best views you will ever see!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not from MN, but I'll be spending a lot of time in Minneapolis this summer. Can anyone recommend a great practice facility fairly close to Minneapolis? I'm looking for a nice grass range and good putting/chipping area(s). Pitching and sand areas would be a plus.

Thanks in advance.

Braemer Golf Course in Edina has a decent range and practice area....it is about 10 mins southwest of Minneapolis. They also have 27 holes of golf and a par 3 course.

I've been told that the Les Bolsted U of M Course has a nice new range and practice facility as well.

Great to see some fellow Mn golfers on this great golf message board. After a long winter I finally got my first round in of the spring and am excited for another golf season.

A few personal thoughts on MN golf tracks:

I live in the west metro (Hopkins) and somehow have not made it to Chaska TC. From all accounts it is a great course and good value and i will be playing there soon. As far as courses west of the river Braemer Golf Course in Edina is decent and a good price. Deer Run in Victoria is also a fun track. I highly recommend Willingers in Northfield - a little drive south but beautiful, fun course.

As previously stated there are some great privates over here but I have no connections so the closest I'll get to Interlachen (about 2 mins from my house) is when i volunteer at the US Womens Open in June! I did take a lesson out at Windsong Farm last year and used the practice facility and the course looked absolutely amazing.

I actually do a lot of my golf in the east metro as my wife's family is over there. Play quite a bit at Stillwater Country Club which is a nice old course with tons of trees. Only like $2,000 a year for dues and there is approx a 15 year waiting list to get on. Absolutely love Stoneridge and Troy Burne - a bit pricey but well worth the fall/spring rates. Have also played quite a bit at Hudson CC. Shorter course but awesome greens - probably the best i have ever putted on. If you can get on this course definitely do so. Only thing i don't like is it is a bit hilly so very difficult to walk.

Sorry for the long post just thought i'd throw out my two cents. If any MN golfers are interested in a round shoot me a PM or respond to this message...I'm always looking for more golf partners.

I also have great things to say about Willingers in Northfield. The course is really fun and it was in great shape the two times I made the drive out there last summer. I live in Saint Paul so I do not go west much but I spend alot of time in the eastern suburbs and I do drive into Hudson to play White Eagle at least once every two weeks. White eagle is really fun, and it is always in pretty darn good shape. It is as expensive as Troy Burne but you get electric cart with gps included in the price so it is nice for the days that you are in a hurry. Plus White Eagle isn't as busy as Troy Burne, so on days like yesterday when it isn't as busy you can get around in 2 hours and 10 minutes like myself. I like W.E. because there are not as many homes on the course and you play amongst the trees and woods rather than McMansions. Troy Burne is beautiful and it will give you all trouble you can handle, especially when the wind is blowing, which seems to be all the time. The greens were pretty nice and the grass was immaculate when I played there a few times last summer. The staff in the clubhouse were extremely rude to me on two of the occasions I was there but the bag boys and the younger girl outside of the clubhouse were much nicer. Loggers Trail is a decent little course but they don't have a clubhouse and the sandwiches you can get at the turn taste like 8 day old leftover dung. Keller is a decent muni and it is lined with trees so you can whine about being at a muni all day long but you still have to hit golf shots so unless you are tearing it up and playing well, shut your mouth and focus on what's in front of you. I typically play 2 -3 times a week so if anybody needs an 11 handicap to fill out a fourth sometime then let me know.

I agree that White Eagle is a nice little course and you can often find a pretty good deal on www.lastminutegolfer.com if you are willing to be flexible with when you tee it up.

Just booked a trip up to Wilderness at Fortune Bay and Giants Ridge (Quarry) for June 1 and 2. I have been meaning to get up there for several years now so looking forward to finally playing these courses.

I agree that White Eagle is a nice little course and you can often find a pretty good deal on www.lastminutegolfer.com if you are willing to be flexible with when you tee it up.

Just booked a trip up to Wilderness at Fortune Bay and Giants Ridge (Quarry) for June 1 and 2. I have been meaning to get up there for several years now so looking forward to finally playing these courses.

I played the Quarry for the first time last year about the same time of year. Great course! I thought the Legend had nicer views overall/more scenic, but the Quarry was a very good test of golf. You'll enjoy it!

Wanted to play the Wilderness too, as it is reputed to be the nicest conditions, but alas, it was a one day trip up and back from the Cities. What a marathon day that was! Yikes!

White Eagle is beautiful. Love the scenery. You'd have to play it a few times to be comfortable out there though. Some holes, with all the elevation changes, can be tricky to club for. Otherwise, it has a really nice "up north" feel to it without the drive. Conditions are usually pretty good as well.

I played the Quarry for the first time last year about the same time of year. Great course! I thought the Legend had nicer views overall/more scenic, but the Quarry was a very good test of golf. You'll enjoy it!

Wanted to play the Wilderness too, as it is reputed to be the nicest conditions, but alas, it was a one day trip up and back from the Cities. What a marathon day that was! Yikes!

White Eagle is beautiful. Love the scenery. You'd have to play it a few times to be comfortable out there though. Some holes, with all the elevation changes, can be tricky to club for. Otherwise, it has a really nice "up north" feel to it without the drive. Conditions are usually pretty good as well.

Mike, if you're heading to Tower sometime this year, I hope I get a call. :) .

Awesome track. One of MY favorites!!! :clapping:

Wake up this morning and Minneapolis has an inch of snow on the ground! What is this!!!

Tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

LOL. If you back a page or 2, there was something mentioned about

global warming. LOL. We're having the times of our lives aren't we?

I think it's above freezing here. WOOOPEEEEE!! :) :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Rochester and get around the area. Here are some comments:

1. I would not walk across the street to play the Rochester C.C. I have played it many, many times. It is a beautiful golf course, always in superb condition, and that is worth something in itself. However, it is hilly and there are too many blind shots and I do not appreciate the design much. If the slope is still 138 or so, it's degree of difficulty is also overrated by a lot, in my opinion - I would put it at about 125. How did a relatively short course that has wide fairways (albeit tree lined) and no water on it ever get such a high slope rating?

2. Somerby, 10 miles west of Rocheseter in Byron, is very high quality, immaculate and more demanding. Not an easy course.

3. Anybody from the Twin Cities who is considering driving to Red Wing to play Mississippi National should just keep driving, in my opinion - to Lake City and The Jewel. Mississippi National is fine, but the Jewel is in a different league. I would say that it and Somerby are as good as golf gets in Southeast MN.

4. I really like Willinger's in Northfield. It is quality. I would put it a close third to The Jewel and Somerby.

5. I like the Cannon Golf Club - A LOT. It is an old fashioned 9, expanded to 18 and not all the holes are well conceived. But a lot of them are, and the people who run the place keep it in near perfect condition and are *always* working to improve it - this is a well loved golf course by those who keep it. Par 3 #13 is an absolutely beautiful hole over water, and alone is worth the price of admission. Par 3 #7 is 225 yards long from the back tees, over marshland, and also very picturesque - what a beast of a hole from the back tees. This is really a gorgeous golf course, folks.

6. I like The Summit but we don't play it much because the back nine is so terribly hard to walk. Also, there is a stretch of three holes on the back that I don't care for. But it is a very nice track, if you ask me.

7. I like the Austin Country Club and the Owatonna Country Club quite a lot. The Owatanna Country Club is an easy drive from the Twin Cities and you can stop by Cabellas for all your hunting camoflage needs.

8. Brooktree in Owatonna is a sleeper muni that is beautifully kept. The front and back nine are very different - old/new - and from the back tees you will score less well here than at the Rochester Country Club, even though the slope is under 130. It is a tough course.

9. In the Twin Cities area, I agree that Bunker Hills and the Chaska Town Course are outstanding tracks that are open to the public. I prefer the East-West at Bunker, as it incorporates more of the original holes. I like Hazeltine a lot. Of course. I think the TPC Twin Cities is nice, but I prefer Bunker and the Chaska Town Course and think it is nowhere near the test of Hazeltine.

Ditto the folks who have observed that MN is blessed with an large array of reasonably priced, accessible, high quality golf courses.