Best courses in Twin Cities, MN

rlheiman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played both The Wilds & Troy Burne this weekend. The Wilds was nice, great shape and some interesting holes...still not sure if its worth the money. They have a pay the temperature in both the spring & fall. I would try and play the course during those periods. Lots of houses as well, doesnt sway me one way or the other.

Troy Burne is amazing. I played it for the first time, like the Wilds, and just blew it out of the water. Very challenging and the individual has to make some great shots and play some smart golf. It was in nice shape, and with the Spring Special you only pay $57.....now I have to wait until Fall to play it again. Highly recommend this course and is now my new favorite in / near the cities.

I also am an advocate of MS Dunes, great course and love the elevated and difficult greens. Need your short game to be on to score well here.

Whoever said that about Rochester Golf & Country Club has no appreciation for the history of the game. It is a classic Tillinghast course...

Kevin

I live in Rochester and get around the area. Here are some comments:

1. I would not walk across the street to play the Rochester C.C. I have played it many, many times. It is a beautiful golf course, always in superb condition, and that is worth something in itself. However, it is hilly and there are too many blind shots and I do not appreciate the design much. If the slope is still 138 or so, it's degree of difficulty is also overrated by a lot, in my opinion - I would put it at about 125. How did a relatively short course that has wide fairways (albeit tree lined) and no water on it ever get such a high slope rating?

2. Somerby, 10 miles west of Rocheseter in Byron, is very high quality, immaculate and more demanding. Not an easy course.

3. Anybody from the Twin Cities who is considering driving to Red Wing to play Mississippi National should just keep driving, in my opinion - to Lake City and The Jewel. Mississippi National is fine, but the Jewel is in a different league. I would say that it and Somerby are as good as golf gets in Southeast MN.

4. I really like Willinger's in Northfield. It is quality. I would put it a close third to The Jewel and Somerby.

5. I like the Cannon Golf Club - A LOT. It is an old fashioned 9, expanded to 18 and not all the holes are well conceived. But a lot of them are, and the people who run the place keep it in near perfect condition and are *always* working to improve it - this is a well loved golf course by those who keep it. Par 3 #13 is an absolutely beautiful hole over water, and alone is worth the price of admission. Par 3 #7 is 225 yards long from the back tees, over marshland, and also very picturesque - what a beast of a hole from the back tees. This is really a gorgeous golf course, folks.

6. I like The Summit but we don't play it much because the back nine is so terribly hard to walk. Also, there is a stretch of three holes on the back that I don't care for. But it is a very nice track, if you ask me.

7. I like the Austin Country Club and the Owatonna Country Club quite a lot. The Owatanna Country Club is an easy drive from the Twin Cities and you can stop by Cabellas for all your hunting camoflage needs.

8. Brooktree in Owatonna is a sleeper muni that is beautifully kept. The front and back nine are very different - old/new - and from the back tees you will score less well here than at the Rochester Country Club, even though the slope is under 130. It is a tough course.

9. In the Twin Cities area, I agree that Bunker Hills and the Chaska Town Course are outstanding tracks that are open to the public. I prefer the East-West at Bunker, as it incorporates more of the original holes. I like Hazeltine a lot. Of course. I think the TPC Twin Cities is nice, but I prefer Bunker and the Chaska Town Course and think it is nowhere near the test of Hazeltine.

Ditto the folks who have observed that MN is blessed with an large array of reasonably priced, accessible, high quality golf courses.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I'll be visiting Minneapolis on business the first week of August and am hoping to squeeze in two rounds before I leave. My two favorite courses that I've played in the area are Troy Burne and Stone Ridge. I'd like to play different courses of comparable "quality". I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Willingers

Legends

Chaska

Wilds

Rush Creek

Bunker Hills

I'd appreciate comments and perhaps ranking the ones you've played in the order that you would recommend them. I'm a 14 index and like to play scenic courses that have a good variety of holes.

Thanks

Those are all great courses but if i had to pick two of them it would be Chaska and Willingers with Legends a close third. Rush Creek and Wilds are great but a bit overpriced IMO. Bunker Creek is also a fun course but if you are looking for good scenic views i wouldn't recommend it (at least over the other courses listed).

Good call on Troy Burne and Stoneridge..two awesome courses. I live in the western burbs but try to get over to the eastside to play them each at least once a year.

Those are all great courses but if i had to pick two of them it would be Chaska and Willingers with Legends a close third. Rush Creek and Wilds are great but a bit overpriced IMO. Bunker Creek is also a fun course but if you are looking for good scenic views i wouldn't recommend it (at least over the other courses listed).

Good call on Troy Burne and Stoneridge..two awesome courses. I live in the western burbs but try to get over to the eastside to play them each at least once a year.

Thanks for the advice. Is it difficult for a non-resident to get a tee time on the Chaska course? If you'd be inetersted in playing let me know and I'll e-mail you when I know the exact dates. It wuld be a weekday in early August

I'll be visiting Minneapolis on business the first week of August and am hoping to squeeze in two rounds before I leave. My two favorite courses that I've played in the area are Troy Burne and Stone Ridge. I'd like to play different courses of comparable "quality". I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Willingers

Legends

Chaska

Wilds

Rush Creek

Bunker Hills

I'd appreciate comments and perhaps ranking the ones you've played in the order that you would recommend them. I'm a 14 index and like to play scenic courses that have a good variety of holes.

Thanks

Bunker Hills is OK, but its a muni and gets a lot of play. Rounds can be pretty slow. Lots of trees, parkland style, but not overly "scenic" per se.

Chaska is a darn good course. I'd play it all the time if I lived on that side of town.

Rush Creek is pretty good. Fairly scenic. They just re-did the greens I understand (they had temp greens in place last Fall I believe.) Might want to ask some questions before committing to play there. It was a great course though (although too much money.)

Those are the only ones on your list I've played. I understand the Wilds is a good course, but that there are quite a few homes lining the holes.

Wow, really good thread about MN courses!! I will be in downtown Minneapolis next week and will be looking at playing on June 3rd or 4th. So far from what I read, it seems that Legends or Stone Ridge would be the best choice and easiest to get to from Downtown.

If anyone is available and interested in hooking up for a round, definitely PM me. I always enjoy playing with fellow WRXers!!

Thanks!

At the moment, I would say stray away from the Chaska Town Course. They have recently aereated and the greens are some of the worst in the area. Although, it is very well designed its just the problem of putting.

If I were you, I would play Legends (I just played there last weekend and it is in great shape)

and I would play Stonebrooke in Shakopee, personally it is my favorite course in the state. #7 and #8 are two of the best water holes in the state. A great value as well..........

I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Willingers

Legends

Chaska

Wilds

Rush Creek

Bunker Hills

I've played 4 of the 6 and would rank them as follows:

1. Willingers

2. Chaska

3. Wilds

4. Rush Creek

Willingers is solidly in my top five favorite MN courses. It has a very nice variety of holes and is plenty challenging. It is also a very good value. I haven't played Chaska in several years but liked it when I did. I'm not down on any of the four, really, though I find it hard to justify the fees at RC or the Wilds.

Willingers

Legends

Chaska

Wilds

Rush Creek

Bunker Hills

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Is it difficult for a non-resident to get a tee time on the Chaska course? If you'd be inetersted in playing let me know and I'll e-mail you when I know the exact dates. It wuld be a weekday in early August

Another course you may want to consider if your looking for scenery is White Eagle just north of Hudson, Wi. They don't have a nice clubhouse yet, but once you get out on course you'd swear you were in northern Wisconsin.

• 2 months later...

I just got back from my trip to the twin cities. I only had time for two rounds and ended up playing the Chaska Town course and the Wilds. I really enjoyed them both. They are in my top ten of Mpls area courses and I would say that they are in the same league as Troy Burne and Stone Ridge. Both courses were in good shape and had a lot of interesting holes with good variety of long and short, tight and wide etc. The Wilds has a lot more big elevation changes with at leat 4 pretty steep uphill tee shots and as many down hill. I putted much better at the Wilds. I had a hard time figuring out the speed of the greens at Chaska. Don't know if it was grain or just me having a bad putting day. Chaska was a great bargain at $35 to walk in the PM. The Wilds was $100 to ride in the AM and was woth it IMO. That is not too expensive by comparison to NY, although I realize there are better bargains in the Mpls area. Here is a link to my photos of the two courses.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/565253157FMxigY

• 3 months later...

Anybody ever play or have a membership to Brackett's Crossing? I have driven by a bunch of times and it looks decent, I just don't hear much about. I live in the south metro and still don't hear much. Not sure if this is an exclusive club or a wannabe exclusive club...

FWIW

Windsong is my new favorite course in the metro. Long with the truest greens I have ever putted on. If you have any connections, I would highly recomend getting out there. I played in early October, so the trees were just starting to turn... really nice scenery.

If you are up for a drive, Crow River CC in Hutchinson is a nice course especially for the money. Pretty long, small greens that are playing better than ever now that they started rolling them. Basically you need to drive the ball well and be able to get up and down, because unless your irons are on you will miss greens.

Hi. Thanks for your fabulous photos. It seemed that there were more houses around The Wilds than Chaska. Was that your opinion or did more just get into the photos of The Wilds?? Can't wait to go through all your other albums. Thanks again.

Hi Golftragic - You are correct. There was housing around the Wilds and not at Chaska. The Wilds is part of a large and nice residentialm development. The photos pretty accurately reflect the amount thaqt the housing gest into the view at the Wilds. It didn't detract significantly from the experience at the Wilds, but my preference generally is for courses without housing

Crussogolf,

I have played Brackett's a few times. It's all right, but not one of my absolute favorites.

Where in the south metro do you live? Depending on where you're at, I might have a better option for the same money.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

• 1 month later...

I live in Apple Valley, and usually end up playing Valleywood because it is so close and cheap. I like The Legends, but usually only play there a couple times a summer. Other courses in the south metro I have played include:

Southern Hills (not my favorite)

Heritage Links (lots of blind shots and played only once, so I still reserve judgement)

Inverwood (decent I guess, personally not worth the longer drive over Valleywood)

Stonebrooke (pace of play seems to be a major issue there, but decent if you can get past that)

Willingers (further south, but a great course)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Fellow Minnesotans,

Anyone have any comments on Majestic Oaks?

Not a bad course at all. Not spectacular, but good conditions overall last time I played it (2 seasons ago.) It's not a very long course. Has a few nice holes and some so-so ones. Houses aren't too close or in play, which is nice. I've enjoyed it when I've played there. Nice course to walk. Some hills but easily walkable. Keep an eye on your bag there according to my clubfitter who's played the men's club there for years. Thefts have been known to occur. My dad had his clubs stolen there 25 years ago, so I guess some things never change... ha ha..

• 2 weeks later...

I still think the best bargain out there is Breamar for the price and pace of play. I live right in MPLS and I don't want to drive all the way out some where and have a 4.5 hr round. I think anything over $50 is dumb when you are trying to play a lot. I like to walk and I play alone a lot which is great at a course that plays fast. I either play at 6 am or about 1-2 pm after hitting on the range for an hr. I think the Wilds is way over priced. Chaska is nice, just say you are a resident, they never ask for ID. However the people that golf there are your typical 40 somethings that smoke cigars and drink about 6 beers per 9 holes. Generally, I stay away from these types as they aren't out there to play golf and relax but rather get away from their wives.

Stonebrooke is ok but is over priced in the morning, too many houses but the twilight rate is great.

I really like Loggers Trail, not a bad drive, links style so you can let it fly, I played there more and more as the year went along. You can get great rates and walking is pretty fun. It has great views around sunset, some of the best. I like it the most out of any course for the price and scenery.

I have played Springhill about 30x and it is the best hands down, just it takes 250k to belong. I think Denny Hecker will vacat a spot there soon. My best friend is the youngest member there, lucky for me, but since you could buy a vacation house somewhere warm for the price, I will never join out of principle.

Dahlgreen and Deer Run, fun, and not too busy, hope to get out there more.

BTW has anyone heard of Burl Oaks Golf Club, they could be a place I would join but have heard nothing of it.

I still think the best bargain out there is Breamar for the price and pace of play. I live right in MPLS and I don't want to drive all the way out some where and have a 4.5 hr round. I think anything over $50 is dumb when you are trying to play a lot. I like to walk and I play alone a lot which is great at a course that plays fast. I either play at 6 am or about 1-2 pm after hitting on the range for an hr. I think the Wilds is way over priced. Chaska is nice, just say you are a resident, they never ask for ID. However the people that golf there are your typical 40 somethings that smoke cigars and drink about 6 beers per 9 holes. Generally, I stay away from these types as they aren't out there to play golf and relax but rather get away from their wives.

Stonebrooke is ok but is over priced in the morning, too many houses but the twilight rate is great.

I really like Loggers Trail, not a bad drive, links style so you can let it fly, I played there more and more as the year went along. You can get great rates and walking is pretty fun. It has great views around sunset, some of the best. I like it the most out of any course for the price and scenery.

I have played Springhill about 30x and it is the best hands down, just it takes 250k to belong. I think Denny Hecker will vacat a spot there soon. My best friend is the youngest member there, lucky for me, but since you could buy a vacation house somewhere warm for the price, I will never join out of principle.

BTW has anyone heard of Burl Oaks Golf Club, they could be a place I would join but have heard nothing of it.

I have played Burl Oaks many times and know a couple of members, It is a fun course, usually well maintained, A good layout and they have a good driving range, practice area. The restaurant and pro shop are very nice as well. Hope this helps, I'd look into it if I were you

I have played Burl Oaks many times and know a couple of members, It is a fun course, usually well maintained, A good layout and they have a good driving range, practice area. The restaurant and pro shop are very nice as well. Hope this helps, I'd look into it if I were you

Thanks I will have to look into it. Also, what course would you compare it to? What are the people like and how busy is it?

• 1 month later...

The advice in this thread is pretty good. For what it is worth, if I am looking to play a public course in the Twin Cities I would probably look at courses in the following order:

1. Bunker Hills

2. Chaska Town Course

3. Stoneridge

4. Troy Burne

5. Willingers

6. Links at Northfork

7. Edinburgh

8. Northfield CC

9. Gross

10 Inverwood

This list is heavily influenced by price and ease of obtaining tee times. I can be perfectly happy playing many others such as Keller, Purple Hawk, Prestwick, Pioneer Creek, White Eagle and New Richmond.

I avoid the following courses:

1. Rush Creek - terrific par threes but poor soil and nothing too memorable for over $100

2. Legends - opinions vary on this course but in my view better options exist for the price

3. The Wilds - I like the course a lot but am not willing to pay the fee

4. Braemar - I am not a fan of the layout pretty boring for the original 18, goofy for the third nine.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion the two best deals can be had at MS Dunes and Edinburgh. If you don't mind walking, play Edinburgh after 3pm on the weekends for only $32. This is a great course that has much more character than the standard run of the mill course. I believe you can make t-times up to 4 days in advance for the weekends. MS Dunes has a a buy one get one offer (look at local stores for a coupon card) - but it's I believe $38 w/ a cart. Willingers is another course that offers great deals if you are willing to play on non-peak times. In my opinion there is no reason to play municipal courses / standard courses and pay only a few dollars less (sometimes not even the case) - that is if you don't mind making a sacrafice and play during special hours.

Timing is the key to playing some really nice Twin Cities area courses at a discount. An example is going to the legends club after 1:00 on Sundays, or White Eagle in Wi is 50 bucks for all the golf you can play, cart, and range balls after 1:00 Sundays. Golfsmith, Dicks, and GG all have the little cards with discounts on them as well. Those allow you to play 18 at stoneridge for the 9 hole price. The other thing I would recommend is signing up for E updates from your favorite courses. They email you once a week or so with coupons and specials.