2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan power thrust irons

spezza11

Where would you guys rank the original power thrust irons with the ))))))))))))) design on the head. I know these older hogans are getting harder and found a set overall not bad would want to reshaft and grip with s300 to game (no way I could have these in the house and just look at them) so not worried at all about shafts the heads have rust more so in the 7-e but looks like some long term rust with likely a good chunk of surface rust that could be cleaned off

I use the 69 bounce sole reshafted with s300 and love them the heavier weight looks etc

How would the power thrusts compare to these for those that have hit both sets

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled across this a while ago. It maybe of some help.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The head shapes are similar, but the power thrusts are heavier. Good, hefty clubs. My only complaint is the blade length is too long IMO.... but I feel that way about a lot of the hogan irons.

I have a set of power thrust irons, but I always end up playing my Wilson's because they have more compact heads.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

The head shapes are similar, but the power thrusts are heavier. Good, hefty clubs. My only complaint is the blade length is too long IMO.... but I feel that way about a lot of the hogan irons.

I have a set of power thrust irons, but I always end up playing my Wilson's because they have more compact heads.

Interesting any interest selling the power thrusts?

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Anybody have wHat the specs of the 62 power thrust irons where?

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

I have a set of the '62 PT's. They're probably heavier than your 69's but they're lighter than my '57 Precisions. They're also more compact, but less so than my set of '62 Wilson Turfriders.

The PT's are not my favorite set. They are fantastic for practice clubs, as they force you to find the heelside sweet spot because anything out toward the toe is dead in the water. But for playing a round I much prefer the Precisions as I find them to be more forgiving.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I have a set of the '62 PT's. They're probably heavier than your 69's but they're lighter than my '57 Precisions. They're also more compact, but less so than my set of '62 Wilson Turfriders.

The PT's are not my favorite set. They are fantastic for practice clubs, as they force you to find the heelside sweet spot because anything out toward the toe is dead in the water. But for playing a round I much prefer the Precisions as I find them to be more forgiving.

thanks for the feedback I have a set of heads coming from another member on here and I will be reshafting them with Apex 4 out of my 99 apex set with Lamkin 3 gen with white cap midsize

I do have to say that after playing a full summer with the 69 bounce soles and their weight I much prefer to current sets coming in at d0-d1

Can't wait to get these heads installed and to a simulator. Canada here so no golf until a few weeks after the masters for us

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

OP, I can't add much to the Power Thrust discussion as I don't own that model.

I notice though that you have the Cabot Links logo in your avatar ... and am interested to know if you have played there, and if so, what's it like ?

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

these heads are all most at my door tracking says they will be here tomorrow. I will take some pics and post as well as pics from any progress i make on them. Looking to try to finish the restore the owner started. He got a lot done by the looks of the pics he sent me. Regardless I am going to game these so they don't need to be perfect but I do want them as good as possible from an amateur club restorer perspective. cant wait to get started on these bad boys.

I found the original scheme for the 62's is dark navy blue on "power thrust" and the "hash marks" and the club number on the sole. Gold on the "ben hogan signature and sunburst" and red on the "+" does this sound right.

I have seen other paint scheme here on wrx posted when Hogan irons where coming back there was an article that talked about old clubs and for the PT they had all gold with Black BH signature. I know you can put them to whatever you like but I do want to make sure these are original as possible.

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

these heads are all most at my door tracking says they will be here tomorrow. I will take some pics and post as well as pics from any progress i make on them. Looking to try to finish the restore the owner started. He got a lot done by the looks of the pics he sent me. Regardless I am going to game these so they don't need to be perfect but I do want them as good as possible from an amateur club restorer perspective. cant wait to get started on these bad boys.

I found the original scheme for the 62's is dark navy blue on "power thrust" and the "hash marks" and the club number on the sole. Gold on the "ben hogan signature and sunburst" and red on the "+" does this sound right.

I have seen other paint scheme here on wrx posted when Hogan irons where coming back there was an article that talked about old clubs and for the PT they had all gold with Black BH signature. I know you can put them to whatever you like but I do want to make sure these are original as possible.

Here a the 2 paint schemes I've found

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Sort of what I saw while doing a google search of '62 PT irons. Both the red and black BH script. The blue in the second pic seems to be the predominate scheme for the those areas. Nothing conclusive as to original color scheme near as I can tell. FWIW, like the color scheme of the first pic the best, maybe with a black number and red +. My .02.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

found these in last haul, they were so dirty I did not realize they had been re chromed and reshafted with stiff shafts, no bands but are almost xstiff on defection board, 8 iron is only head with much wear

Nice find! How long ago was this find and I may throw up asking but what did you get these for $$??

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

OP, I can't add much to the Power Thrust discussion as I don't own that model.

I notice though that you have the Cabot Links logo in your avatar ... and am interested to know if you have played there, and if so, what's it like ?

Hey sorry just realized I bypassed your question my bad.....

Yes I did play Cabot both Cabot links and Cabot cliffs (the new course) in short without getting to long winded which I can do talking about Cabot it is absolutely an experience! The courses are unique in their on way with cliffs being a truly amazing course and I am surprised they only came in where they did in the world top courses by golf digest. Likely due to the fact they where still in preview pay I would guess.

Feel free to pm me and I can give more details to any questions you have regarding lodging etc. a little teaser photo in case you haven't seen enough online hahahaha

18th tee with my tools in the pic hahaha

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

My Power Thrusts & their original paint (one more in the "gold signature" column):

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

My Power thrusts & their original pant:
nice and in great shape and with the paint scheme most popular

Thanks for the pic

My Power Thrusts & their original paint (one more in the "gold signature" column):
do you game these?

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Thanks for the pic

do you game these?

The next bag I put together will be a "classic" bag, and these PT 62s are going in it.

I am the very fortunate 2nd owner of these out-of-the-time-capsule beauties. There are more pics in this Hogan iron thread I started & need to get back to:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/791581-rackmageddon-a-hogan-iron-story/page__hl__%20rackmageddon

FWIW, as a high handicapper, I love the way they feel; couldn't be easier to tell good from bad strikes!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Thanks for the pic

do you game these?

The next bag I put together will be a "classic" bag, and these PT 62s are going in it.

I am the very fortunate 2nd owner of these out-of-the-time-capsule beauties. There are more pics in this Hogan iron thread I started & need to get back to:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/791581-rackmageddon-a-hogan-iron-story/page__hl__%20rackmageddon

FWIW, as a high handicapper, I love the way they feel; couldn't be easier to tell good from bad strikes!

Thanks for the pic

do you game these?

Great old post with awesome pics

Thanks for the pic

do you game these?

Great old post with awesome pics

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

well the Thursts have come in. they were painted over on by the previous owner but from what i can tell as some paint has chipped off these heads are the first paint scheme without the navy and mostly gold and black and I do see hints of red for the BH initials as well so this is the scheme I am re doing......time to get at it tonight!!!!!

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

well the Thursts have come in. they were painted over on by the previous owner but from what i can tell as some paint has chipped off these heads are the first paint scheme without the navy and mostly gold and black and I do see hints of red for the BH initials as well so this is the scheme I am re doing......time to get at it tonight!!!!!

one more item on this with that paint scheme would all sole number and the "+" sign be red or the number black and + in red?

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

found these in last haul, they were so dirty I did not realize they had been re chromed and reshafted with stiff shafts, no bands but are almost xstiff on defection board, 8 iron is only head with much wear

played a few holes with these last night , really felt great, gorgeous look at address, low penetrating ball flight

Nice I agree they look awesome from address with s nice weight to them

What are the shafts you have in these? you mentioned stiff

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Hahahaha

I'm putting in a set of apex 4 royal precision out of my 99 apex set that I sold the heads from

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Got the heads acetone and repainted here is the before and after

I only took a pic of the 4 iron but still need to reshaft so will take pics as I go and post though beat up a but still sharp looking

Mans best friend looking in also hahaha

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

I have to revise this opinion after pulling out the PT's and comparing to the Precisions last night. They're actually pretty identical in size when held side by side. Funny, since my impression was that they were much smaller. It must be that shaved toe of the PT's that makes them seem to play like a smaller head.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I have to revise this opinion after pulling out the PT's and comparing to the Precisions last night. They're actually pretty identical in size when held side by side. Funny, since my impression was that they were much smaller. It must be that shaved toe of the PT's that makes them seem to play like a smaller head.

Lol

Your right the shaved toe looking at the sole etc is deceiving but in address I feel they a pretty large face for a pure blade

I compared to my bounce soles last night and again comparable

They look really good from address

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Update

I got the heads reshafted. Those hogan pins they fought hard I cursed and fought harder got into a groove and popped those sob's out. They are currently curing so will take pics tomorrow.

Last step lofts and lies adjusted

These bad boys are beat and dinged but at the end of the day I have a set of 62' power thrusts and not something like the pic Below. No offense to anyone that has these lol Pin seeking lets go!

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20