2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

competing with vintage gear

I miss shell's wwg. I watch episodes on YouTube all the time. My favorite golf to watch is match golf. I heard they are having a modern day version before the us open this year. Nothing beats watching those old episodes. The players they had going at it. It was like a major and I think at one point paid out like one too.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss shell's wwg. I watch episodes on YouTube all the time. My favorite golf to watch is match golf. I heard they are having a modern day version before the us open this year. Nothing beats watching those old episodes. The players they had going at it. It was like a major and I think at one point paid out like one too.

Actually in those days those made for TV golf matches paid more than a tour event except the majors.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

At this point in my life, I'd hate to go into any competition with any type of two or three iron in the bag, vintage or otherwise.

And since hybrids aren't an option with vintage gear, I'm going to be looking for vintage 6 woods, 7 woods, Bafflers, Gintys, etc.

They're out there, even though the 5 wood wasn't part of many standard sets of woods until Ray Floyd's Masters win in 1976. I can remember the coverage from back then. "Floyd wins with ladies club."

Floyd's 5 Wood was made by Bert Dargie in Memphis, the same fellow who made Trevino's first 6 Wood.

Most of them probably aren't going to be persimmon, but that doesn't bother me. At this point, a long iron is useless for anything that doesn't involve a tee, but I can hit those lofted woods from a variety of lies.

A few years back I saw Gary Player being interviewed and he was shilling for Callaway's lofted woods like the 9 and 11. He said something along the line of if he would have had such clubs in his prime he'd have won the Masters a couple of more times.

Well "Laddie," they were available. But most guys of that day wouldn't have been caught dead with anything more lofted than a 4 wood.

Peer pressure is big in this game. I was at a Senior Tour event in the mid 80s watching Palmer on the range. He was trying what must have been his first graphite shafted metal fairway wood.

Miller Barber walks up to him and crows "I can't believe my hero is thinking about using a Fly Iron." I guess he meant Iron for the metal wood head and Fly for the shaft resembling something one might find in a fly rod.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I never let peer pressure persuade me as to what I carried in my bag. I had a crazy set up in the 70s and 80s. I carried a Ping Karsten One 1 iron a Power Bilt 5 wood and a Northwestern 6 wood. I learned the little 6 wood trick from a friend of my Dad's who was a pro from Florida. He could do some stuff with that thing. I watched and learned. I immediately ordered one from the Northwestern catalog. Looking back I think I honed the skills that serve me today with my 7&9 woods. As far as someone talking crap about the 5 wood it is hard to talk crap to a guy who hit a persimmon 5 wood and balata ball about 235 or so. The 6 wood I could hit a real high cut about 190 to 200 with in fact at the time it was the only club in the bag besides the wedges that I could cut

What I love is that the explicit intent of the groove rule was to restore groove volumes to what we would all recognise as "traditional" or old fashioned v-groove profiles. And yet, we have a situation whereby clubs that were designed to those specs first time around are not formally approved.

I do still hope that before 2024 comes around, the governing bodies will junk the implementation of the rule for any level of play below the professional tours and possibly the very highest level of amateur competition.

It would be a tragedy, as well as a farce, if classic irons were legislated out of play.

Well if the PGA Tour would have had any balls they would have followed up on their earlier consideration of ignoring the anchored putter ban. It is not hard to imagine. The Asian Tour has it's own equipment rules. A lot of grooves and Driver MOI are not R&A or USGA legal. All the major companies make equipment seperately for the Asian market. The whole groove thing has complicated things for a lot of folks. But I see in the future a lot of organizations getting away from the USGA. Good example a lot of men's club associations here have voted to dis allow the anchoring ban in club and league comps. A lot of these members are older guys with back problems or nerve problems and the anchor putter makes sense and otherwise helps keep them in the game. And really what is the self professed all mighty ( In their eyes) USGA gonna do? Shoot Ronnie Retiree down with a drone on the 13th green because he used a anchored putting stroke while playing with his buddies on their DAILY round? Yep they can try to grow their pocketbook uggh I mean the game but without my yearly $20.

All the anchoring ban proves is that the governing bodies don't give a rat's arse about the club golfer and yet they expect him/her to cough up $20 every year. All the club operators and teaching pros need to keep that in mind as the rounds played every year continues to drop. Just who is working for who here?

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

At this point in my life, I'd hate to go into any competition with any type of two or three iron in the bag, vintage or otherwise.

And since hybrids aren't an option with vintage gear, I'm going to be looking for vintage 6 woods, 7 woods, Bafflers, Gintys, etc.

They're out there, even though the 5 wood wasn't part of many standard sets of woods until Ray Floyd's Masters win in 1976. I can remember the coverage from back then. "Floyd wins with ladies club."

Floyd's 5 Wood was made by Bert Dargie in Memphis, the same fellow who made Trevino's first 6 Wood.

Most of them probably aren't going to be persimmon, but that doesn't bother me. At this point, a long iron is useless for anything that doesn't involve a tee, but I can hit those lofted woods from a variety of lies.

A few years back I saw Gary Player being interviewed and he was shilling for Callaway's lofted woods like the 9 and 11. He said something along the line of if he would have had such clubs in his prime he'd have won the Masters a couple of more times.

Well "Laddie," they were available. But most guys of that day wouldn't have been caught dead with anything more lofted than a 4 wood.

Peer pressure is big in this game. I was at a Senior Tour event in the mid 80s watching Palmer on the range. He was trying what must have been his first graphite shafted metal fairway wood.

Miller Barber walks up to him and crows "I can't believe my hero is thinking about using a Fly Iron." I guess he meant Iron for the metal wood head and Fly for the shaft resembling something one might find in a fly rod.

There's only peer pressure if you're a follower. I like to lead. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.