Southwest Ireland

Scooter321

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather in Ireland is very temperamental. One moment its warm and sunny then you will have a torrential downpour with a huge temperature drop only to have it be a very nice evening you could golf in. That being said, September may be the best kept secret. I spent 4 months in the North of Ireland last summer and the weather was abysmal. I left in August and they said September was by far the nicest weather of the year. The nicer weather has started happening later and later in the year.

Course conditions are going to be great all summer long. As all the links courses are fescue they are in great shape all summer. The inland courses, say the K Club, can deal with crazy rainfall and still be in great shape. Book a trip and just pray for great weather. It will be the greatest trip every though. Ireland is amazing. If you have any questions about golfing further north in Ireland let me know. I would be glad to help.

September.

Definitely correct but anytime May-September is pretty solid. I've been in all of those mo the and it isn't too different.

Went to summer school in Dublin. First three days in mid June were 80 degrees. Rainy, cold and windy every single day for the next two plus months. Every day.

Have been back several times since, to visit friends, at various times of the year, and have never seen more than two days in a row where you didn't get wet.

September is your best bet, but it's still a total crapshoot. Invest in some good rain gear and bring extra shoes.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I live in southwest Ireland where the weather can change hourly

Last few years I've found April and May to be good weather wise

Sept and October also

Some great golf in mid west if you fly into Shannon airport

Lahinch balybunion Tralee Waterville Dooks are all less than three hours away from Shannon

I will have time to play 5 courses while I am there, was planning on the first 4 on your list and Doongbeg (instead of Dooks). What are your thoughts?

I liked Doonbeg a lot more before it became Trump International because the whole place just feels too touristy now. It "nice" and all but it feels over the top in a lot of ways. We stayed there for a week last year but I had played it many times before Trump took over. The new par 3 is a very good holes but is is a shame they couldn't keep the one built into the dunes. That one was wonderful. The golf course is good, not great.

Have been twice, with the last week of September. Of the 20 or so days I was there, really only had one day that was a complete wash out. Had a few rounds of rain and wind thru 6 holes, sun the next 6 and back to rain and wind to finish....seriously. I don't blink once at the thought of rain. After all, its part of the mystique of golfing in Ireland. Like others have said, if you get a nice set of rain gear, it really isn't that big of a deal.

On our SW trip, we flew into Dublin, arrived early, played The European Club and drove to Waterford for the night. Woke up early drove to Kinsale and played Old Head and drove to Killarney. Played Waterville and drove to Killarney (great little town) for two nights and played Tralee and Ballybunion before heading to Lahinch. Stayed a night and back to Dublin, stayed at Portmarnock Hotel (very nice) and played their course in the morning and Portmarnock Links in afternoon. Great trip.

Have been twice, with the last week of September. Of the 20 or so days I was there, really only had one day that was a complete wash out. Had a few rounds of rain and wind thru 6 holes, sun the next 6 and back to rain and wind to finish....seriously. I don't blink once at the thought of rain. After all, its part of the mystique of golfing in Ireland. Like others have said, if you get a nice set of rain gear, it really isn't that big of a deal.

On our SW trip, we flew into Dublin, arrived early, played The European Club and drove to Waterford for the night. Woke up early drove to Kinsale and played Old Head and drove to Killarney. Played Waterville and drove to Killarney (great little town) for two nights and played Tralee and Ballybunion before heading to Lahinch. Stayed a night and back to Dublin, stayed at Portmarnock Hotel (very nice) and played their course in the morning and Portmarnock Links in afternoon. Great trip.

Other than your recommendation to play Portmonarck, I could have written the exact same words! End of September, same courses and Killarney is a great little city.

echo everyones comments.

I have family who live on Inch beach, have had some great lads trips to Ireland, friendliest people around!

Whats Trump doing to Doonbeg? We loved it before he took over not been since, condition wise it went worse year on year, but views and drama its class.

Tralee is my favourite of the lot, stumps Ballybunion imo, but all depends on your weather really. Killarny is a beautiful city, lots going on, esp in the summer months. We're going in May this year.

Further north Malahide is a great spot near Dublin, Gibneys pub in particular and play the Island tight but class and, Portmanock if you can,

Tm M1 Hzdrus 9.5
Titleist 915 Fd Tour Ad Di 7 s
Titleist 712 U 2 Iron
TM 3-PW PSI Project x 6.0
TM Tour Preffered 52, 58 KBS S
Odyssey 7 Standard
TM Flextech Lite Stand
Any Ball

Anyone who's been, or thinking about an Irish golf trip should read A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne. Without giving it away, he walks the country and plays every links course.

One recommendation about planning a Southwest Ireland trip. In my experience, if you use an agent to book/plan your trip, they always schedule a round at Killarney. It's a nice course, but not a links. I've always felt I'd rather played a links instead.

Re trip to Dooks or doonbeg

Trump is in process of digging up doonbeg

Doing 9 holes this year 9 next year

Dooks is a fab track doesn't look like a beast but if wind blows it's a very strong track

Nice people work in Dooks very friendly

Gussie what does that mean in terms of the playability of the course with all the changes they are making. Are they doing it in the offseason so it will not impact playability?

Also, do you think I should consider replacing Doonbeg with Old Head? Is Old Head a much stronger course?

Thanks again.

Part of the reason I considered leaving out Old Head was the mantra that I was hearing that it was an average course on an amazing piece of property plus the additional drive. I think the 4 courses are locked in (Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee). The question is what is the fifth and it seems to be between Old Head and Doonbeg.

Part of the reason I considered leaving out Old Head was the mantra that I was hearing that it was an average course on an amazing piece of property plus the additional drive. I think the 4 courses are locked in (Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee). The question is what is the fifth and it seems to be between Old Head and Doonbeg.

If you have a whole day, do yourself a favor and drive to Royal County Down. You'll thank me when you get home.

If you have a whole day, do yourself a favor and drive to Royal County Down. You'll thank me when you get home.

Even with a full day it looks like a 4.5 hour drive from Shannon, thats 9 hours of driving. Probably not doable. That is on my list for another trip I think. Wish I had the time to combine them.

Even with a full day it looks like a 4.5 hour drive from Shannon, thats 9 hours of driving. Probably not doable. That is on my list for another trip I think. Wish I had the time to combine them.

Helicopter?

http://heligolf.ie/

I played your four plus Old Head. It is memorable and well worth it.

I've played all of the courses on your list at least 10 times each (some way more) over the last 15 years of regular trips to Ireland and I will say the following:

Old Head is not a great golf course from a layout perspective but it is absolutely one of my favorite places in the world to play golf. I've played in 28 countries and at over 600 different courses over the last 20 years and if I only had one round left to play in my life it might be there. It is a magical place on a sunny day. RCD is a much, much better course but the setting can't be beat at Old Head. Also, Kinsale is a wonderful town and I love spending time there.

If I am ranking the courses on your list based on course alone:

Lahinch

Waterville

Ballybunion Old (Cashen is terrible with some pretty views)

Tralee

Old Head

Doonbeg

I've played all of the courses on your list at least 10 times each (some way more) over the last 15 years of regular trips to Ireland and I will say the following:

Old Head is not a great golf course from a layout perspective but it is absolutely one of my favorite places in the world to play golf. I've played in 28 countries and at over 600 different courses over the last 20 years and if I only had one round left to play in my life it might be there. It is a magical place on a sunny day. RCD is a much, much better course but the setting can't be beat at Old Head. Also, Kinsale is a wonderful town and I love spending time there.

If I am ranking the courses on your list based on course alone:

Lahinch

Waterville

Ballybunion Old (Cashen is terrible with some pretty views)

Tralee

Old Head

Doonbeg

I agree with everything you posted. While I agree the Cashen Course doesn't belong in the same discussion as any of the others, I think it's ridiculously hard in spots and the greens are stupid, I had fun playing it. I think I had 8 or 9 pars and a birdie or two and I shot close to 95. I probably lost 6 balls. On one short par three, I hit the green and made an 8. My put rolled off into a pot bunker that I couldn't get out of.

I second that .....our 7 day trip last year in August was highlighted by RCD, shorts and no jacket too.

Another recommendation...This trip is alot of driving. We hired a driver with a large bus. We had 12 golfers so it wasn't that much more than 3 minivans. Driving can be stressful on some of those county roads. Our driver would drop us off at the course and then check us in at the hotel..he knew everyone at the courses and hotels..He would pick us up after 18 and we would have a few beers on the way back to the hotel.

I have played all on your list (though I am very jealous of the guy above who's played them all 10+ times, VERY jealous).

You will like Dooks, Doonbeg, or Old Head - I guarantee. You really can't go wrong here.

Assuming Doonbeg is under construction and therefore off the list, and this is a one in a life time or once in a long time trip - I'd add Old Head. It will be much more of a drive and cost a lot more than Dooks - but its a course you want to play at least one. Old Head is like Pebble, but better. Pictures don't do it justice. Conditions will be immaculate (edit, at least they were for me, ymmv). Similar to Pebble, it has some inland holes that are ho hum for sure - but I think you kind of have to play it at least once.

I was lucky to get 70 degrees, sunshine, and a light breeze when I played Old Head. It was awesome experience. But I haven't been back - it is expensive and once you have seen/done the views and the oceanside holes, there are better 18 holes of golf to be had in Ireland.

Tough call though, especially if you are not getting a driver.

Where are you staying? Old Head might require adding a night in Kinsale to make the drive worth it. Kinsale is pretty cool also.