Bandon Dunes...Early November or February?

I've read a whole lot of threads on Bandon Dunes lately and finally have pulled the trigger and rallied the troops to schedule our first trip out to Bandon Dunes. The trouble is, we can't golf in the prime summer months due to work conflicts and baseball schedule. In Wrx'ers experience, which would be the better bet Early November or Early February to catch the best weather and Bandon experience?

Also, we have some connections for some off site housing near Bandon, would it take away from the experience if we did not stay on site? This is probably our only shot at this, as we are all early in marriages and families haven't started yet.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Bio Cell +
TEE XCG7 3 wood
Adams DHY 21
Adams CMB 4-Gw
Vokey SM4 54, 58 deg
Odyssey Tank #7

If it may be your only experience, I would stay on the property. It is nice to be able to take the shuttle everywhere from the practice facilities to the courses and the restaurants/pubs.

I can't personally comment on February since I've never been at that time. Others seem to have great experiences then. I've been in mid November and we had good weather for the most part, just an extra layer of clothing for warmth.

I would call and find out what your best options are with available rounds and lodging between November and February and just go with that.

I'm pretty sure that once you go there, you'll find a way to get back.

If it may be your only experience, I would stay on the property. It is nice to be able to take the shuttle everywhere from the practice facilities to the courses and the restaurants/pubs.

I can't personally comment on February since I've never been at that time. Others seem to have great experiences then. I've been in mid November and we had good weather for the most part, just an extra layer of clothing for warmth.

I would call and find out what your best options are with available rounds and lodging between November and February and just go with that.

I'm pretty sure that once you go there, you'll find a way to get back.

I've had great experiences in February, but a lot of it has come down to luck. How far away is the housing from Bandon that you've been offered? If you plan on playing 36, I'd highly recommend staying on site just to reduce any morning rush or tired drives out at night.

here are the averages for November/February, as you can see, there's not much difference.

November

Daylight Nov. 1: 7:53am – 6:09pm

Daylight Nov. 30: 7:29am – 4:44pm

Average High/Low: 58° / 42°

Average Rainfall: 8.88 inches

Nov. Rates: approx 40-65% off Peak Season

February

Daylight Feb. 1: 7:33am – 5:30pm

Daylight Feb. 28: 6:56am – 6:05pm

Average High/Low: 56° / 39°

Average Rainfall: 7.49 inches

Rates: approx 55% off peak season

• Like 1

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

I've heard there are some exceptions to the 21 day rule but you can't tee off til after 10:00AM. Have you found other restrictions? In Nov or Feb you would have no chance of getting more than 18 holes in. In our case we aren't really golfing more than 18 walking holes that often. I've seen some properties that are so close I can't imagine the experience would be that much different. Can you share the link to the property.

I lived on the Oregon Coast for about 9 winters....I have never seen good weather at the beginning of November...I have frequently played Bandon in February and at least had a few days of gorgeous mixed in with the rain.

Do with this anecdotal evidence whatever you like.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

For 4 out of the past 5 years I have gone in the 1st two weeks of February and I have only had 1 biblical day and more dry days then wet.

As to the second part, I'd stay on sight. Enjoy the hot tub, have a couple extra drinks and play 36 a couple days. Just more of a relaxing trip staying on site plus you get the full Bandon.

We go every year at the end of February. We easily get 36 holes in a day. Last 2 year we have been in short sleeves and pants with 60deg partly sunny and a little bit of wind. If it rained on us it was only for a few holes than cleared up. All the locals say February is the time to go!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Chigolfer2, is that late tee time due to frost? I'd hate to go all that way and only be able to play 18 holes per day.

I'm not exactly sure where the other property is to know exactly distance as its a friend of a friend. The idea of staying on site is rather appealing to get the full experience.

Starting to think maybe we should hold off on this trip until we could all make it in the summer to ensure getting 2 rds in per day...

Bio Cell +
TEE XCG7 3 wood
Adams DHY 21
Adams CMB 4-Gw
Vokey SM4 54, 58 deg
Odyssey Tank #7

Chigolfer2, is that late tee time due to frost? I'd hate to go all that way and only be able to play 18 holes per day.

I'm not exactly sure where the other property is to know exactly distance as its a friend of a friend. The idea of staying on site is rather appealing to get the full experience.

Starting to think maybe we should hold off on this trip until we could all make it in the summer to ensure getting 2 rds in per day...

The late start is due to restrictions on start times to those not staying on-site I believe. No problem getting 36 in that time of year. Most delays are due to fog, not frost.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

I go annually in February. I have had friends who've worked at Bandon and caddies who have told me there February is their favorite too. They always insist there are 7 days with any real rain, with the rest of the month usually being pretty dry. There are usually a handful of outstanding days too.

I've stayed at the resort a handful of times and it's convenient. Nowadays we actually stay offsite in a very nice house on the south end of town. I much prefer it this way, honestly. Especially with a large group. For us, it's actually less expensive to rent the house and significantly more fun.

The downside is for non-Oregon residents staying offsite is getting dinged for higher greens fees.

No frost that close to the coast...

Also Stay on property, the rates for room and golf combined during february are cheaper than if you go offsite and pay the offsite rate. You will have a much much better time staying onsite, and using the free shuttles all over the property.

WITB:

I've only gone at the beginning of November once, but the weather was fine, and 36 a day wasn't tough to do. Like others said, staying onsite is a better option if it's your only trip, you can book early (like now if you want) and get early tee times. I would say that the fact that the resort charges slightly more in November than February for lodging and tee times is the best indicator for when conditions are better. If you're going to the coast in the winter months, it's up to luck anyway.

I've heard that when an offsite property has an arrangement for tee times outside the 21 day window you can't tee off before 10AM. I've been researching a trip in peak time when the offsite rates are considerably less than onsite....The point was made that for Nov / Feb the onsite rates aren't that expensive so the justification for going offsite isn't as compelling. So far it's been difficult to find a definitive policy on this but our trip has been bumped out another year due to Scotland trip so I don't have to deal with this for a while....BTW we've had a Scotland trip and I was overruled on a Bandon trip vs another Scotland trip.....

Just an FYI, when I was there last Feb they said for more than 8 they recommend booking 2 years out or we're booking for 2 years out. Not sure how many you have

Wow I can see that in the summer, but I have never had a problem booking within a month in february. Then again I haven't been for 4 years. so times can change. Damn now that I say that I need to go to bandon Dunes!

WITB:

Just an FYI, when I was there last Feb they said for more than 8 they recommend booking 2 years out or we're booking for 2 years out. Not sure how many you have

Wow I can see that in the summer, but I have never had a problem booking within a month in february. Then again I haven't been for 4 years. so times can change. Damn now that I say that I need to go to bandon Dunes!

I generally go the first 2 weeks of Feb and up until last year I was able to keep an eye on the forecast and pick out a window when it looked good. Last year I got lucky that I called in 5 minutes after a cancellation. They now recommend a few months ahead and that was as a single.

Word has gotten out about February, it used to be mainly Northern California and people from the PNW, not anymore.

February is a better bet, I've been out that way several years around Feb. 10th and had better weather (70* / sunny / calm) than any day in November and often better than summer, too. The averages may pan out for the month and are pretty close to equal, but you have a better chance of an awesome day in February than November.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Sounds like early February it is. Now to figure out the itinerary of what courses to play and when each day. This is the most fun I've had planning and a long time

Bio Cell +
TEE XCG7 3 wood
Adams DHY 21
Adams CMB 4-Gw
Vokey SM4 54, 58 deg
Odyssey Tank #7

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Sounds like early February it is. Now to figure out the itinerary of what courses to play and when each day. This is the most fun I've had planning and a long time

Make sure to book WAY ahead of time to get the right times and enough rounds on each course.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1