2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Which Garmin should I get?

Just got the Approach S1 yesterday as a birthday present. I know it's a discontinued model, but I'm trying to decide if I should keep it and use it or upgrade it to a newer model.

Any reviews, suggestions, advice?

This past summer I used the "SwingxSwing" app on my iPhone so it will be nice to not use my phone during the round, but I also know the Garmin doesn't keep score, etc...

The new S20 looks nice, but it doesn't have color or touchscreen, not sure if that's needed or not...

Also, I don't need any of the tempo, etc...just want GPS and to see hazards, doglegs, maybe keep score, etc..

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe S1 only shows yardage to front/middle/back of the green. Need to go up to the s2 to get dogleg yardages (but no hazard info).

If that's all you need and like simple, it's a good choice. Main negative would be the battery lift is not great compared to some of the other options.

Can't help you there. Might want to start a new thread, someone familiar with that might not even look in a thread that has a title only asking about the garmin.

Also might want to search the forum archives, might already be some posts on it.

Thanks! I'll probably skip the Apple watch, but might want to upgrade this to a newer Garmin...with more options.

Friends have the S1, it's solid and simple. Gives yardage to near, center, far green based on your approach angle--- that's it. Only knock is battery life. You may want to leave it on in golf mode and see how long it lasts before needing recharge. You aren't going to get hazards or doglegs with the S1. S2 is going to give you doglegs but no hazards as another poster said--- probably not worth it.

The S20 deserves a real serious look. There is another thread about that one but the main focus has been criticism of the Auto Shot feature, which to me is mostly an unimportant gimmick. The S20 gives true near, center, far green distance, moveable pin with green shape and full hazard detail. Plus an activity tracker, so no need for Vivofit or Fitbit. It also has (I believe) the best battery life of any GPS watch on the market at 15 hours, besting Bushnell's Neo line of 12 hours.

As for color screen--- don't need it. Only adds cost and makes it harder to see in the sun--- think about the info it presents and color just doesn't enhance it. Better off without a touch screen since a frequent complaint with those is accidental contact or being finicky or tough to touch accurately.

Friends have the S1, it's solid and simple. Gives yardage to near, center, far green based on your approach angle--- that's it. Only knock is battery life. You may want to leave it on in golf mode and see how long it lasts before needing recharge. You aren't going to get hazards or doglegs with the S1. S2 is going to give you doglegs but no hazards as another poster said--- probably not worth it.

The S20 deserves a real serious look. There is another thread about that one but the main focus has been criticism of the Auto Shot feature, which to me is mostly an unimportant gimmick. The S20 gives true near, center, far green distance, moveable pin with green shape and full hazard detail. Plus an activity tracker, so no need for Vivofit or Fitbit. It also has (I believe) the best battery life of any GPS watch on the market at 15 hours, besting Bushnell's Neo line of 12 hours.

As for color screen--- don't need it. Only adds cost and makes it harder to see in the sun--- think about the info it presents and color just doesn't enhance it. Better off without a touch screen since a frequent complaint with those is accidental contact or being finicky or tough to touch accurately.

Thanks! i wonder if it's worth it for me to get the s20 or if a lot of it will go unused. I only play a couple times a month and was leaning towards the s2, but has also considered a Fitbit charge HR so this could kill two birds...

I have no idea what a Fitbit charge HR does, so can't comment on that, but a buddy has a Garmin "fitness" watch and I have the S20. It seems he has a lot more fitness features on his than I do, but that is to be expected since the S20 is primarily a "golf watch". The S20 has a pedometer, tracks your sleep habits, allows you to set "goals", and beeps throughout the day if you aren't hitting them.

As far as golf, I echo everything Andy L has to say. Software is still a bit glitchy, but gives accurate F/M/B yardages from any angle, has scorekeeping, moveable pin location (I have used this feature twice in 4 rounds, and that was just to see what happened), hazard details, and probably the best battery life of any wearable. I charge mine overnight on Sunday, by Monday morning it's 100% and last all week with a few rounds of golf thrown in.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I have no idea what a Fitbit charge HR does, so can't comment on that, but a buddy has a Garmin "fitness" watch and I have the S20. It seems he has a lot more fitness features on his than I do, but that is to be expected since the S20 is primarily a "golf watch". The S20 has a pedometer, tracks your sleep habits, allows you to set "goals", and beeps throughout the day if you aren't hitting them.

As far as golf, I echo everything Andy L has to say. Software is still a bit glitchy, but gives accurate F/M/B yardages from any angle, has scorekeeping, moveable pin location (I have used this feature twice in 4 rounds, and that was just to see what happened), hazard details, and probably the best battery life of any wearable. I charge mine overnight on Sunday, by Monday morning it's 100% and last all week with a few rounds of golf thrown in.

The Fitbit Charge HR is one of their fitness trackers. I most likely would not use most (if any) of the fitness features, as I'm mainly just looking for a golf GPS. I think that's why I'd either keep the S1 that I got, or possible move to the S2 or another model...

If I look at these correctly, the S1 will show me the FMB distance from wherever I'm standing with my ball, right? So the only thing I can't do is see how far a corner is on a dogleg, etc. Or how far the creek is from where I am, and similar situations. But for just FMB distance for a shot, it seems to be good. (and no score keeper)

Having owned both the S1 and S3, I'd say that the S1 does 95% of what you need in a GPS watch. The S3's main trick is being able to place the pin somewhere on the green so you can get a more exact read. But you're estimating where the pin is on the green at that point anyway, and if the game is getting that good, probably best to just get a laser.

Hm, decisions decisions...

I like the S20, but not sure I want to spend $200. And if I did, is it then worth it to look for a used Apple Watch and then use a golf app...

In my opinion you're always better off with a dedicated device. The apple watch doesn't have a gps in it so it measures distance from phone. I've heard using an app through the watch is slower than a dedicated device-- still sounds a bit quirky and perhaps distracting. Plus you've said yourself you don't prefer using the phone and app.

If the $199 for s20 is a hang up then another option is the bushnell neo-xs, it provides up to 4 hazards per hole. It is less than $150. I have the older neo-x that provides two hazards per hole and only check hazards on blind shots on unfamiliar courses. Frankly in the odd event I need more hazard info on a particular hole I just fire up a phone app.

I'm still contemplating replacing my neo-x because of the more comprehensive hazard detail and my justification is that I want a vivofit/fitbit anyway, so why not just get the s20 for a bit more $.

Hm, decisions decisions...

I like the S20, but not sure I want to spend $200. And if I did, is it then worth it to look for a used Apple Watch and then use a golf app...

In my opinion you're always better off with a dedicated device. The apple watch doesn't have a gps in it so it measures distance from phone. I've heard using an app through the watch is slower than a dedicated device-- still sounds a bit quirky and perhaps distracting. Plus you've said yourself you don't prefer using the phone and app.

If the $199 for s20 is a hang up then another option is the bushnell neo-xs, it provides up to 4 hazards per hole. It is less than $150. I have the older neo-x that provides two hazards per hole and only check hazards on blind shots on unfamiliar courses. Frankly in the odd event I need more hazard info on a particular hole I just fire up a phone app.

You're right about the dedicated service, plus you have to have the iPhone nearby anyway when using the watch....

It's not necessarily the $199 that's holding me back I guess. I got the S1 refurb as a gift, so I'll get about $90 back in credit for that...I can get the S2 for about $130-$140, keep the S1, get an S3-6, or the s20....

I like the S2 over the 1 also because you can replace the strap if needed, but is that worth the extra money, or if I'm going to upgrade over the S1 should I go higher anyway...

I'm using a fitbit charge HR for fitness and I would never use it as a golf gps. I didn't realize you can use it as a golf gps, but the screen is tiny! I do have an old Callaway upro go and a Leupold rangefinder. I just prefer a dedicated golf device.

If this is your first gps, I think the S1 would be more than fine. It's a proven design, use it until the latest and greatest is too good to resist and by then, you'll know exactly what features you like most in a gps...or maybe you'll go rangefinder. :taunt: I have an idea of what my next gps and what features I would like to have, but the Callaway is still going strong.

I'm using a fitbit charge HR for fitness and I would never use it as a golf gps. I didn't realize you can use it as a golf gps, but the screen is tiny! I do have an old Callaway upro go and a Leupold rangefinder. I just prefer a dedicated golf device.

If this is your first gps, I think the S1 would be more than fine. It's a proven design, use it until the latest and greatest is too good to resist and by then, you'll know exactly what features you like most in a gps...or maybe you'll go rangefinder. :taunt: I have an idea of what my next gps and what features I would like to have, but the Callaway is still going strong.

The Fitbit doesn't have a golf tracker, I was saying that if I got the S20 that I could use that as my fitness tracker and not get the Fitbit.

ok, thanks for the clarification. I was getting a little bit excited about the Fibit as a possible golf gps alternative. Off topic, I picked the Fitbit based on rankings and reviews of a consumer magazine, the HR monitor is off when I do interval training and the battery charge last me about 3 days, not the advertised 5. I've had it for a month now, but it's phone and desktop apps are very good.

Otherwise, I don't know how the fitness functions of a S20 would compare to a Fitbit, but I liked the Fitbit functions over a Garmin vivofit.

ok, thanks for the clarification. I was getting a little bit excited about the Fibit as a possible golf gps alternative. Off topic, I picked the Fitbit based on rankings and reviews of a consumer magazine, the HR monitor is off when I do interval training and the battery charge last me about 3 days, not the advertised 5. I've had it for a month now, but it's phone and desktop apps are very good.

Otherwise, I don't know how the fitness functions of a S20 would compare to a Fitbit, but I liked the Fitbit functions over a Garmin vivofit.

Thanks. Also, I'm starting to think that you're right. Since it's my first GPS I should stick with the S1 or S2 and can always upgrade later on....

Thanks. Also, I'm starting to think that you're right. Since it's my first GPS I should stick with the S1 or S2 and can always upgrade later on....

My friend has the S2 and I think it doesn't do dog leg measurement, the only option is distance to 100 yd layup or distance to 150yd layup (basically centre green distance - 100 yds or - 150). I think you may be able to customise the 100/150 number to your favourite layup amount.

S4 has been good for me. You can save up to five spots on each hole as well. Might be a water hazard, bunker, tree or end of fairway. That sort of thing. You get to decide which markers to save. Great if you play the same courses a lot. You can also keep stats on it. Fairways hit as well as left or right miss. Greens in regulation and number of putts as well.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

S4 has been good for me. You can save up to five spots on each hole as well. Might be a water hazard, bunker, tree or end of fairway. That sort of thing. You get to decide which markers to save. Great if you play the same courses a lot. You can also keep stats on it. Fairways hit as well as left or right miss. Greens in regulation and number of putts as well.

But for ~$20 more wouldn't you be better off with the new s20 that has all hazards preloaded?

Nothing wrong with s1 so long as you understand it offers no hazards or other frills. I would just test it in gps mode and make sure the battery lasts for the duration you find acceptable.

Like you said you can always upgrade later or even add an inexpensive laser like I did. Best of both worlds.

Its a shame the s20 doesn't do regular watch functions, beyond alarm clock.

^^^^+1000!^^^^ The alarm won't wake up the lightest of sleepers, and how much more difficult would it have been to add a countdown timer/stopwatch (which have been around since the Eighties!).

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

S1 works just fine if all you need is front/center/back yardages.

and the layups,dogleg,etc

but yea dude you don't need to upgrade too the new one, it's really noteworthy it unless you really want a color screen.

i have the s4 right now and i jus strap it too my standbag. shows me the distance from front center back, keeps score, shows map of the green and move the pin around.

and that's all i really need. oh yea and it track your distance of your shots but other then that i'm fine with out all that swing tempo and other stuff.

Its a shame the s20 doesn't do regular watch functions, beyond alarm clock.

^^^^+1000!^^^^ The alarm won't wake up the lightest of sleepers, and how much more difficult would it have been to add a countdown timer/stopwatch (which have been around since the Eighties!).

my s4 has a timer on it. tracks how long my rounds were. i really don't use it. only thing i really use is jus the distance to see how far i drove the ball and the map of the greens so i can move the pin around. my alarm clock on the watch wakes me up jus fine. after while the battery jus starts to suck and won't stay on like how it says on the box but i jus strap out to my stand bag and turn it on when i need it and turn it off when i don't. i got that Omega for my regular watch stuff