UK off the beaten path

Scruff,

You enjoy the holiday with your loved ones. It's nice to remember just how majestic a place the earth can be.

Ta.....Just knackered now from all the walking! Trying to watch the footy in the hotel room but I keep falling asleep.....but that might be because the game is dire! It's wash and food at pub time soon!

It's OK to post a non golfing photo on here, where did you get to today? Looked great from the other side of Morecambe Bay. (The Lake District is immediately to the north of the Bay).

The unfortunate one, i.e. me, spent the day oiling the decking.

I'm only round corner! Went to south lakes safari zoo as the kids love it there. It's a great view of Morecambe from the top end of the zoo......going to bowness tomorrow either brookholes centre or a boat trip to ambleside to that great pub on the lake for lunch (just see what the weather does).

Come each year at this time as its mine and wife's birthday, and we just love the lakes. Live right next to junction 27 m6, so we're here in 1hr 20 minutes. I would post some pictures but they are of animals and kids til tomorrow.....but the jaguar up close was stunning!

It's OK to post a non golfing photo on here, where did you get to today? Looked great from the other side of Morecambe Bay. (The Lake District is immediately to the north of the Bay).

I'm only round corner! Went to south lakes safari zoo as the kids love it there. It's a great view of Morecambe from the top end of the zoo......going to bowness tomorrow either brookholes centre or a boat trip to ambleside to that great pub on the lake for lunch (just see what the weather does).

Come each year at this time as its mine and wife's birthday, and we just love the lakes. Live right next to junction 27 m6, so we're here in 1hr 20 minutes. I would post some pictures but they are of animals and kids til tomorrow.....but the jaguar up close was stunning!

If your in Cumbria, have you played this course?? Looks good!

http://www.bramptongolfclub.com/

They have nearly finished the link road to Heysham, to be known as The Bay Link, off J34, means I can hit the M6 in 5 minutes. My favorite area is off the Shap exit, thru Bampton and on to the N. side of Haweswater. Magic and my piece of heaven!

OSR----may I suggest Buxton in Derbyshire is an excellent place to visit as Dr. Alistair McKenzie designed and built Cavendish Golf Course there and his Augusta National course is largely copied from it. However, it is shorter at just under 6,000 yards and is inexpensive at about 30 to 50 dollars per round. There is also Buxton and High Peak course nearby, built in 1889. The town of Buxton is an old Roman spa and has several beautiful buildings including the largest unsupported dome in Europe at the University of Derby (used to be the Devonshire Royal Hospital, and before that was the Duke of Devonshire's Riding School). Nearby there are several stately homes such as Chatsworth House (the seat of the Duke of Devonshire) and Haddon Hall (which was involved in the English Civil War of the 17th century), both of which are open to the public for a small fee.

Manchester is not far away (25 miles) and there are more golf courses within a 25 mile radius of the city centre than any other city in the world. Many of these are superb, quiet and inexpensive, such as Mere, Delamere Forest, Reddish Vale (another Alistair McKenzie creation), Sandiway, and many, many others.

Late summer or early autumn best for weather.

I hope you enjoy your trip wherever you decide to visit. You can be sure of a warm welcome.

OSR----may I suggest Buxton in Derbyshire is an excellent place to visit as Dr. Alistair McKenzie designed and built Cavendish Golf Course there and his Augusta National course is largely copied from it. However, it is shorter at just under 6,000 yards and is inexpensive at about 30 to 50 dollars per round. There is also Buxton and High Peak course nearby, built in 1889. The town of Buxton is an old Roman spa and has several beautiful buildings including the largest unsupported dome in Europe at the University of Derby (used to be the Devonshire Royal Hospital, and before that was the Duke of Devonshire's Riding School). Nearby there are several stately homes such as Chatsworth House (the seat of the Duke of Devonshire) and Haddon Hall (which was involved in the English Civil War of the 17th century), both of which are open to the public for a small fee.

Manchester is not far away (25 miles) and there are more golf courses within a 25 mile radius of the city centre than any other city in the world. Many of these are superb, quiet and inexpensive, such as Mere, Delamere Forest, Reddish Vale (another Alistair McKenzie creation), Sandiway, and many, many others.

I hope you enjoy your trip wherever you decide to visit. You can be sure of a warm welcome.

Mere is an absolute cracker of a course! Didn't know about that about Manchester, and I live there!

Mere is an absolute cracker of a course! Didn't know about that about Manchester, and I live there!

Hi, scruffynick

I am an expat Scot who lived in Manchester for many years---yes, it is true! There are indeed more courses within 25 miles radius of Piccadilly than any other city in the world. I agree, Mere is a good one, especially with its floating practice balls which you hit into the mere---not to be missed. But there are so many superb courses like Hopwood (The Manchester GC), North Manchester, Northenden, Didsbury, Delamere Forest, Warrington (Appleton), Stockport, Bramhall, Bolton Old Links, Bolton, Ringway, Wilmslow, Pleasington and so many others.

Cavendish is a course Dr, Alistair McKenzie designed and built in 1924 and used many of its design features at Augusta a few years later---indeed there is an article in this month's "Today's Golfer" comparing the various holes at each. It is well worth a visit, it really is.

Best wishes-!!

Hi, scruffynick

I am an expat Scot who lived in Manchester for many years---yes, it is true! There are indeed more courses within 25 miles radius of Piccadilly than any other city in the world. I agree, Mere is a good one, especially with its floating practice balls which you hit into the mere---not to be missed. But there are so many superb courses like Hopwood (The Manchester GC), North Manchester, Northenden, Didsbury, Delamere Forest, Warrington (Appleton), Stockport, Bramhall, Bolton Old Links, Bolton, Ringway, Wilmslow, Pleasington and so many others.

Cavendish is a course Dr, Alistair McKenzie designed and built in 1924 and used many of its design features at Augusta a few years later---indeed there is an article in this month's "Today's Golfer" comparing the various holes at each. It is well worth a visit, it really is.

Best wishes-!!

Pleasington.....love that course, the par 3 with the railway bridge behind it is stunning! Not been for years now. Lostock next to Bolton old links is another good course and you mention delamere forest....playing there for the first time on 23rd April in a charity event. So looking forward to that, just hope the weather improves and stops raining!

Cavendish does look really cool :)

After I couldn't get on Formby last Sept, it was between Cavendish and Beau Desert for my Sat round and I'm still thinking I should have picked Cavendish, but I wanted avoid weekend Peak District traffic.

As you point out HLaird, plenty of great classic courses in that neck of the woods!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yorkshire, England's largest county, has over 100 18 hole layouts including three former Ryder Cup venues - Lindrick, Moortown and Ganton - and several lower profile former championship courses including Fulford and Alwoodley. Also, in the unlikely event that you like RTJ Snr courses, Moor Allerton's 27 hole layout is the only uk course designed by him. If you need any recommendations let me know.

^Ganton is awesome! I'd like to think - that with the exception of fancy views - nobody needs more golf than what is on offer at Ganton :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

OSR - you have given birth to a wonderful thread here !

Not just for yourself, but also for me personally there is loads of useful info for planning my future UK golf breaks :)

The biggest of BZs to you !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 2 weeks later...

Try the south west loads of people go Scotland but never give Somerset and Cornwall a visit got burnham and berrow. Saunton east and west st enedoc Bovey castle and for culture you have The city of Bath or Salisbury ie stone henge.

If you find yourself in Devon during the weeks leading up to the British and Seniors Open, you may bump in to a certain Mr T. Watson there for links practice.......I can't remember which one his chum works at - either St Enodoc or Trevose.

St Enodoc, is an absolute cracker of a course again keep saying it but a must if you are down that way. Never played Trevose but heard that is pretty good. Did play Ilfracombe one upon a time but it was blowing a hoolie and very little fun, and as a result my memory has been tarnished.....

Brampton is a classic. Opens with a great par 3. One or two holes you would benefit from having played before or local knowledge is useful. Strong finish ......and of course, great views. Is next to Talkin Tarn, local beauty spot.

Love this course, funnily enough i missed these posts because I was in Cumbria on holiday and played the course for a 4th time.

Brampton GC is fabulously quirky. Blind shots, interesting short par 4s, uphill and down hill drives to challenge distance perception and in beautiful scenery. The view from the par three 14th tee over Talkin Tarn and a full 360 view of the area is stunning.

If anyone is on hols in the Lake District on nearby I'd recommend paying a visit and taking a half set of clubs with you. Old fashioned fun golf.

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

One theme that I find enlightening to me, on my side of the pond, is that you gents seem more appreciative of the courses you play, than we generally do. Perhaps quiet reverence is more the term I am looking for. The land, the day, the simplicity, or complexity of how the fabric of the course is woven into its surroundings, with respect to the social and economic historical context of a particular area. A bit of rambling on my part this morning, but I will clean my muddled thoughts up and write more on this later.

I am enjoying this thread immensely.

OSR, think 'Golf in the Kingdom' and you have a handle on the almost spiritual dimension that golf has over here. It explains the unreproduceable cameradie the Ryder Cup team has and the quality of golf writers and broadcasters we have here.

Imitators remind me of The Hedgehog Song.....'he knew all of the words and all of the notes, but never understood the song she sang!'

Have a fine weekend

It's an interesting point. It's my impression that golf seems to be more of a business in the U.S., and that the turnover of courses seems pretty high compared to the UK.

I think there was a discussion here where someone was talking about an "old-fashioned" course from maybe the 1960s.

By comparison, anything built in the 1960s onwards in the UK would be considered fairly modern. I grew up on the Ayrshire coast and I can think of one new course that's been built in that area in the last 40 years. I'm on the east coast now and there's been a bit more building there, but still I think most people are playing most of their golf on courses that have been there for at least decades. As such, I think golf course architecture and design is less of a commodity over here. You take the course as you find it.

The weather is probably more of a hazard than any architectural feature anyway.

One theme that I find enlightening to me, on my side of the pond, is that you gents seem more appreciative of the courses you play, than we generally do. Perhaps quiet reverence is more the term I am looking for. The land, the day, the simplicity, or complexity of how the fabric of the course is woven into its surroundings, with respect to the social and economic historical context of a particular area. A bit of rambling on my part this morning, but I will clean my muddled thoughts up and write more on this later.

Really ???

As an Englishman i'm intrigued by this.

From my own perspective though, your 'spot on' with how i see a course.

Nicely written! Thanks.

I forgot to mention a stunning course on the lleyn peninsula, north Wales called Nefyn. 2 holes in particular are just well, wow!! Google it and have a look, not much room for error and one hell of a hole when windy. But this part of Wales has some brilliant courses but the local walks and scenery are truely breathtaking!

I forgot to mention a stunning course on the lleyn peninsula, north Wales called Nefyn. 2 holes in particular are just well, wow!! Google it and have a look, not much room for error and one hell of a hole when windy. But this part of Wales has some brilliant courses but the local walks and scenery are truely breathtaking!

And not expensive either. This is where the Irish boys come when they are priced out of their links.

Really ???

As an Englishman i'm intrigued by this.

From my own perspective though, your 'spot on' with how i see a course.

Nicely written! Thanks.

From my POV, the way that North America's high-end private clubs are intertwined with commerce, influence, social class, and exclusion (by definition) is the starker contrast, as opposed to levels of appreciation of the courses themselves.

The interested golfers here on the west coast that I play with, have an appreciation of the courses, their condition, and being able to be out and play. The key difference as has been noted, the courses lack the history and cachet value, to add that to the list of things to be interested in. With the exception of the beat to sh1te Sharp Park in Pacifica and Harding Park in SF, I play zero courses on a regular basis with anything you would consider pedigree.

One course I play regularly tries to attach 9 of its holes to Mackenzie, but it's always been in question, and their are a couple other courses from around the war period, but the vast majority are from the 80s or newer. I am lucky to have a lot of quality courses (that are cheap, thank you overbuilding in the 90s!) to choose from, but there isn't a lot of interest in dwelling over the fact we're playing on top of an old garbage dump ;)

F.T.

Funnily enough I am playing Nefyn in two weeks time ... in a Golf Pairs tournament that is sponsored by Mizuno.

Three courses - one per day ... Nefyn & District is first, then Royal St David's and finally Aberdovey ... would love to play hickory or classic kit, but alas this event is "R&A conforming" ... should be a good crack though !

Here's the money shot of Nefyn :

And the scorecard for that nine:

I think part of the appreciation of the course comes from walking ... I think you miss out on alot of that in the USA where so many courses mandate that you take a golf buggy ...

Funnily enough I am playing Nefyn in two weeks time ... in a Golf Pairs tournament that is sponsored by Mizuno.

Three courses - one per day ... Nefyn & District is first, then Royal St David's and finally Aberdovey ... would love to play hickory or classic kit, but alas this event is "R&A conforming" ... should be a good crack though !

I think part of the appreciation of the course comes from walking ... I think you miss out on alot of that in the USA where so many courses mandate that you take a golf buggy ...

Nefyn has the pretty views but Harlech and Aberdovey are proper golf courses. Enjoy.

Yep that's the hole!

Nefyn has the pretty views but Harlech and Aberdovey are proper golf courses. Enjoy.

Yes indeed ! Am really looking forward to Harlech (that's Royal St David's for the USA crew) as not played that before, but Aberdovey will be third time overall and second this year :)

I have a hefty Tom Stewart Mashie Niblick stamped Maitland J Walker R St D GC Harlech ... always wanted to "take it home" for a round ...