2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

UK off the beaten path

I have been tossing the idea around of taking an extended trip to the UK next summer. Kind of a non-structured "golf about."

I am more interested in seeking out low key local courses, instead of going with the more popular approach of booking "the names" through a golf travel agency.

How feasible an undertaking would this be with respect to, "ah, there's an interesting community with a course, think I'll stop for a day, or so, and play."?

Also, I want to plan accordingly weather wise. Best say, stretch of months for play?

In its infancy, but would like to see it hatch by next summer if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Randy

Randy, obviously I've got nothing to contribute. Other than to say your intended approach is absolutely the best way to travel. Unstructured, discovering what the road reveals. Often find that the hidden, off the beaten path places are the most memorable. Big fan of what the Mrs. and I call...."local flavor".

Sure that our UK brethren will supply lots of ideas. Good luck with putting this together. Sounds like great fun.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Randy; sounds a bit like a trip I took some thirty-five years ago as a young college grad -- two plane tickets, a rented car and not much more than a desire to see the countryside. And that's kinda what we did often relying on the locals for direction as to what was worthy to see, places to eat and events to partake. I don't think we saw a single major tourist type attraction on the whole trip, but we did get to experience some lesser known and undiscovered gems. We even had the audacity to call on relatives unannounced or with only an hour's warning by phone to ensure spontaneity. Oh to be a child of the sixties again!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The NW coast of England offers three Open venues but there are plenty of lesser known and lower priced courses within easy distance of Liverpool, Chester and Manchester. Travelling from South to North there are a myriad of courses including Caldy, Heswall, Leasowe, Wallasey, West Lancs, Formby, Southport and Ainsdale, Hillside and all the Blackpool courses.

I would say traveling to the UK your best bet for bang for your buck golf is Scotland as it has lots of little community run courses tucked away. Most of these simply have an honesty box to pay in and no staff other than the groundsman doing his daily thing.

I live in (Cambridgeshire just north of London) and it's not a great spot for golf. Although I believe several of the courses in the area are actually very enjoyable but it has a fairly low reputation for golf compared to other parts of the UK.

Whether wise your best bet is June to August as it's the best chance (that's all the UK offers, not guarantee) of great weather. Personally I say spring around May time and Autumn in September is the most enjoyable as you get to enjoy the changing of seasons so the courses can look very scenic.

Thank you all for your kind replies. Just at a point in my life that this seems about the right time to "hang it up" occupationaly speaking. I have tried to take a day here and a day there when I found myself abroad on business, and have enjoyed not playing the part of "the ugly American." Some of my fondest memories revolve around Buddhist temples in Korera, observing a dig in Mexico, coffee at a cafe in Spain, fish and chips in Scotland, a rugby match in Capetown...all good in their own right, but on the company dime, so I was never fully able to indulge my wanderlust, and rarely able to enjoy a round of golf.

And, my pen has been silent for far too long a time, I feel the nudge of the muse, and I expect this a good way to court her again.

OSR - you could go just about anywhere in Scotland and not be too far from what you say you're looking for, especially if you stick to the coast.

Good golf peters out a bit on the west coast as you head north of the cities although Islay makes for a glorious exception for all sorts of reasons.

If you're not especially chasing the Open rota courses, then there are hundreds of courses around Scotland where you'll be welcome as a visitor turning up to play any weekday.

The best of the weather is often, though sadly not guaranteed, in May/June and September. July and August are much busier with tourists and can be damp if you're unlucky.

Good on ya! For golf, Southport and Blackpool are a joy, you'll love the links courses next to both Birkdale and Lytham st annes (especially hillside, best back 9 in the UK). But the north west has some brilliant courses (including my own) which aren't expensive to turn up and play.

Off golf, a few places you must visit (excluding London) 1. Lake district, it's a stunning place of the world! 2. East Anglia near Norwich, my brother went uni there over 25 years ago and never left.....but it's really stunning especially along the coast (lowestoft) 3. Manchester, I'm biased because it's my home city, but it's a great city and you must have a visit to Old Trafford

4. Try and get to Devon/ Cornwall if you can, like the lakes just a great place to visit......and some of the golf courses are magic (go most years with kids in the summer hols)

But you're best going in spring summer as the weather is just pants in the winter, especially up north!

My very kind regards gentleman on your recommendations.

Birly, I am tied of "chasing" and would rather follow the natural order of things, a day at a time, and weave my own distinct tapestry, without seeming too pretentious, a reclamanation of the soul as it were.

The company I work for has an office in Aberdeen, so I am somewhat familiar with that area, and I have some family ties to Nottingham which will require my attention.

My very kind regards gentleman on your recommendations.

Birly, I am tied of "chasing" and would rather follow the natural order of things, a day at a time, and weave my own distinct tapestry, without seeming too pretentious, a reclamanation of the soul as it were.

The company I work for has an office in Aberdeen, so I am somewhat familiar with that area, and I have some family ties to Nottingham which will require my attention.

Nottingham is a lovely city and its close too other towns/cities which might be worth a visit. It's not too far away from Sutton coalfield (belfry area) and if you get the chance the forest of Arden is a brilliant golf course, the back nine will take your breath away!

All good stuff so far. Fully agree that Scotland is your best bet for hidden gems, friendly informal places where you can just rock up on the day and have a thump, probably more around Fife.

Have played a lot of the places mentioned so far and wouldn't disagree with a word, other than The Forest of Arden as it is not as traditional.

Whatever time of year, it will rain. Other than that, the warm beer and lousy food, should be fun.

The only restriction you should think about it weather. Winter can be horrible. Courses close on mass. Spring/summer can even be hit and miss. Other than that, thousands of courses, dozens everywhere you go, regardless of where you go. Use the usual discount sites (GN, Teeoftimes) for last minute discounts.

Others have recommended Wales, Scotland and England. As you can see the whole of the UK is covered. There are greats and hidden gems in all parts

Totally agree with earlier posts.....there is some magnificent (and cheap) golf to be found in both Scotland and Wales. More local to me, however, are two little gems, Cleeve Hill Golf Course near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, originally designed by David Brown (former Open champion) in the late 1890's, real old-fashioned golf, fences around the greens to keep the sheep off! Secondly, Lilley Brook GC, also near Cheltenham, which was designed by Dr. Alister Mackenzie (Augusta National etc).

Photo shows Cleeve Hill, complete with sheep!

'The Lake District'.....an absolute must. You've not seen England till you've been there. 'The Old England' hotel on the banks of Windermere, with a lake view room is great. Langdale - great! Going to be busy in Summer but that's 'par for the course' (see what i did there)!

The Norfolk Broads....rent a boat from one of the many yards (either a day or if your really adventurous a few days and sleep on it). Another superb part of the country and a lovely way to see it.

If your in London or a train journey away, the Museums (Science, Natural History, British) will keep you busy. Not forgetting 'Tate Modern' if your feeling arty.

Weather....As many have stated totally unpredictable - if you have the sun shining on the day you play golf, thank the Gods and enjoy every second of it. And that's in England. In Wales and Scotland it rains 364 days of the year (has a day off for Christmas, but then it snows) but the grass is very green!! Nah, jokin.

Enjoy! You'll have a great time.

NW England can be pricy and hard to get on without letters of intro etc. Best value Blackpool non marquee tracks are St Annes Old Links and Fleetwood (oldest golfing venue in England).

Bendens post about the Lake District is spot-on but doesn't go into the golf courses. Best Links....Silloth-on-Solway (my fav.) and Seascale, best inland with fenced greens, sheep and quality....Appleby-in-Westmoreland (top hickory venue) and Cockermouth.

'The Lake District'.....an absolute must. You've not seen England till you've been there. 'The Old England' hotel on the banks of Windermere, with a lake view room is great. Langdale - great! Going to be busy in Summer but that's 'par for the course' (see what i did there)!

The Norfolk Broads....rent a boat from one of the many yards (either a day or if your really adventurous a few days and sleep on it). Another superb part of the country and a lovely way to see it.

If your in London or a train journey away, the Museums (Science, Natural History, British) will keep you busy. Not forgetting 'Tate Modern' if your feeling arty.

Weather....As many have stated totally unpredictable - if you have the sun shining on the day you play golf, thank the Gods and enjoy every second of it. And that's in England. In Wales and Scotland it rains 364 days of the year (has a day off for Christmas, but then it snows) but the grass is very green!! Nah, jokin.

Enjoy! You'll have a great time.

Go the lakes (bowness) each April for wife's birthday.....I just love the place. Handy for me as I'm there in just over an hour.

And you're right about the Norfolk broads, stunning place as I live visiting me brother down there in lowestoft

NW England can be pricy and hard to get on without letters of intro etc. Best value Blackpool non marquee tracks are St Annes Old Links and Fleetwood (oldest golfing venue in England).

Bendens post about the Lake District is spot-on but doesn't go into the golf courses. Best Links....Silloth-on-Solway (my fav.) and Seascale, best inland with fenced greens, sheep and quality....Appleby-in-Westmoreland (top hickory venue) and Cockermouth.

Lived in Blackpool for 5 years, and st Anne's old links is one of my favourite.....the 9th (par 3) is a picture perfect links golf hole. Fleetwood is a cracking course, but a challenge when windy!!!

Norfolk is indeed gorgeous. Royal West Norfolk is the most traditional links you'll ever play. Hunstanton is great as is Aldeburgh a bit down the coast.

Likewise Rye and Deal down south. Great non-Open English links. Littlestone is nice too. Pullborough a bit less well known, but nice heathy stuff.

Hardly off the beaten track in golfing terms though...

If your wanting 'off the beaten track' and your in the Hertfordshire area or close....

http://rickmansworthgolfclub.co.uk/

Short, very short. BUT cheap and some of the most spectacular holes you'll see - look at the 3rd hole via google images!! Harry Colt design at the same time as it's neighbour, Moor Park.

It's super, super fun that'll put a smile on your face.

As an edit..... http://www.stanmoregolfclub.co.uk/

A course of my youth - click the link, see the pics.

7th hole at Stanmore.

I agree the Hunstanton is a great course. I've played Rickmansworth also and agree that while very short on a sunny summers day it is spectacular. Oundle Golf club is very much of the same ilk in that while not long it is creative with some breathtaking views and holes.

i'd say go for yorkshire, linconshire, Notts Midland and east coast. You'll find great course's like Oakdale in Harrogate or Stoke Rochford in South Lincs or Sherwood in Notts and so on, you'll not have too much cost or trouble getting on a lot of the courses. Also don't get tied up on links as i've been a club pro for 17 years and played links only half a dozen times.

Hollinwell or as its officially known notts golf club would imo be a much better bet that the forest of arden or the belfry.

Dont rule out Wales, some great cheap links courses to be had :)

Portmadog springs to mind......what a course that is!

I concur plus Royal St. David's and Aberdovey are both stunning.