2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UK off the beaten path

Northern Ireland and maybe more specifically the wild west coast of Donegal (Ireland) are often overlooked and boast courses such as Ballyliffin, Dunfanaghy, Rossapenna. Magazines will call these places hidden gems, true links fans call them places of worship.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Magazines will call these places hidden gems, true links fans call them places of worship.

Speaking of which .. everyone should go to Church at least once in their life ... :)

http://www.st-enodoc.co.uk/the-club/church-course.html

• Like 1

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Magazines will call these places hidden gems, true links fans call them places of worship.

Speaking of which .. everyone should go to Church at least once in their life ... :)

http://www.st-enodoc.co.uk/the-club/church-course.html

Wow, a childhood memory! Played St enodoc many moons ago with my dad while we had a summer hol in Rock. Can't remember much of the course now so it's worth another visit if I'm down there

Northern Ireland and maybe more specifically the wild west coast of Donegal (Ireland) are often overlooked and boast courses such as Ballyliffin, Dunfanaghy, Rossapenna. Magazines will call these places hidden gems, true links fans call them places of worship.

Between this and last year I played all the ranked links courses from Carne up to Ballyliffin. There are some truly spectacular golfing to be had in North/Northwestern Ireland, and for a fraction of the cost of the "prestige courses" in other parts of the British Isles, especially with 50% off on the greenfee from the golfhaftet.com card.

Highly recommended!

Between this and last year I played all the ranked links courses from Carne up to Ballyliffin. There are some truly spectacular golfing to be had in North/Northwestern Ireland, and for a fraction of the cost of the "prestige courses" in other parts of the British Isles, especially with 50% off on the greenfee from the golfhaftet.com card.

Highly recommended!

I'll look into that as with my daughter highly interested in golf now, I'm going to be playing alot more courses with my camping gear!

Highly recommended!

I hope to go to Donegal and southward, and play some while the missus researches genealogy in the region.... people speak well of these>>Narin/Portoo, Dunfanaghy, Rossa Penna, Cruit Isle, Murvagh, Portsalon, Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill. What are other favs?

Highly recommended!

I hope to go to Donegal and southward, and play some while the missus researches genealogy in the region.... people speak well of these>>Narin/Portoo, Dunfanaghy, Rossa Penna, Cruit Isle, Murvagh, Portsalon, Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill. What are other favs?

You covered most of them, Rosse's Point is a bit more expensive but I loved it. Ballyliffin you can't go wrong with, right up there with Saunton as the best 36 hole club in the isles.

Of the ones you listed my favourites are Carne, Portsalon and Murvagh, although I've yet to play Dunfanaghy and Cruit Isle.

I made a pretty extensive google spreadsheet with all of the links and heath-land courses in the UK and Ireland I'd like to play (not listing the most famous/expensive tracks, focusing on the lesser known), currently 186 listed... Do take a look at the sheet and the related maps!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uouIZUr4rTMdzqJu-edx1YbVQg3F_f6gYeiCFKIxuDc

• Like 1

The turn at Dunfanaghy GC. In view are 7th tee, 8th hole, 9th tee over bay, and 10th tee over beach.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

The North East of England has had few comments in this golfing travelogue.

Goswick has been referred to in glowing terms for those near the Borders at Berwick on Tweed, and quite rightly.

However further South near Hartlepool are Hartlepool GC itself, a Braid concoction in the dunes, but far better is the excellent Championship course of Seaton Carew with it's Alister McKenzie/ Frank Pennick pedigree. The locals are really friendly and access from transport hubs is easy.

I played both this weekend.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

> @rich13 said:

> Totally agree with earlier posts.....there is some magnificent (and cheap) golf to be found in both Scotland and Wales. More local to me, however, are two little gems, Cleeve Hill Golf Course near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, originally designed by David Brown (former Open champion) in the late 1890's, real old-fashioned golf, fences around the greens to keep the sheep off! Secondly, Lilley Brook GC, also near Cheltenham, which was designed by Dr. Alister Mackenzie (Augusta National etc).

>

> Photo shows Cleeve Hill, complete with sheep!

Well I am going to Cotswolds in June, and wondering if these 2: Cleeve Hill and Lilley Brook remain on the recommended list? The missus might let me have an afternoon off to pursue some classic golf.

> @mocokid said:

> Well I am going to Cotswolds in June, and wondering if these 2: Cleeve Hill and Lilley Brook remain on the recommended list? The missus might let me have an afternoon off to pursue some classic golf.

Not played either, but I find this site is quite informative :smile:

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/gloucestershire?page=1

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Glad this thread has been rekindled, I bought a 5 man tent about 3 years ago and I've taken the family camping all over. Kids love it and I've found some wonderful places in the uk. For OSR I'd certainly maintain the lakes as a must, but I love Anglesey and parts of North Wales.... It's stunning with some of the best links courses you'll ever play. Porthmadog being my absolute favourite... What a golf course.

Then add the North East Coast, what a stunning coastline. Watch some Vera's on TV and just look at the stunning landscape... A must for me for a UK visit

> @mocokid said:

> > @rich13 said:

> > Totally agree with earlier posts.....there is some magnificent (and cheap) golf to be found in both Scotland and Wales. More local to me, however, are two little gems, Cleeve Hill Golf Course near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, originally designed by David Brown (former Open champion) in the late 1890's, real old-fashioned golf, fences around the greens to keep the sheep off! Secondly, Lilley Brook GC, also near Cheltenham, which was designed by Dr. Alister Mackenzie (Augusta National etc).

> >

> > Photo shows Cleeve Hill, complete with sheep!

>

> Well I am going to Cotswolds in June, and wondering if these 2: Cleeve Hill and Lilley Brook remain on the recommended list? The missus might let me have an afternoon off to pursue some classic golf.

Definitely! Also add to your list: Painswick GC, Stinchcombe Hill GC, and Minchinhampton Old Course. There's no sheep on these, but Minchinhampton Old on Rodborough Common has another distraction..... Cows!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pembrokeshire is stunning, pitty the weather has been a real mixed bag. At present time it's thunderstorm city, apparently the power is off all over and I'm in a tent in the Welsh valleys. But I've loved this part of Wales, the scenery is breathtaking. Went to the caves today and its worth a look, utterly stunning and good when the weather if iffy

Played Northamptonshire County recently. Some superb holes, in fabulous condition. Members friendly, food and drink very reasonable for a high class club. Only downside was the arrogant assistant. Well worth a visit and they are doing four balls for under £200. Friend just played Brancpeth Castle in County Durham. I know it well. A very fine parkland and the par 3s are exceptional. Goswick very underrated. Add in Hexham if you want a very good value course.

• 1 year later...

While I'm in lockdown part 3, I've been watching all sorts on netflixs and I thought of this thread from OSR..... And I've been watching safe house with Christopher Eccleston, and boy the location filmed is stunning. Somewhere in lakes/Cumbria and if you ever come to the UK, you must come to the lakes District its absolutely stunning. 

Also, in August I took the family to the north east and stayed in Durham..... Another wonderful place, the coast line is spectacular. Only decent thing 2020, is make me realise how beautiful the English countryside is 

• Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 9:39 PM, scruffynick said:

Glad this thread has been rekindled, I bought a 5 man tent about 3 years ago and I've taken the family camping all over. Kids love it and I've found some wonderful places in the uk. For OSR I'd certainly maintain the lakes as a must, but I love Anglesey and parts of North Wales.... It's stunning with some of the best links courses you'll ever play. Porthmadog being my absolute favourite... What a golf course.

Then add the North East Coast, what a stunning coastline. Watch some Vera's on TV and just look at the stunning landscape... A must for me for a UK visit

Just started re-watching Vera (daughter has been reading original books so it’s a given) and reminded me of some great rounds at Dunstanburgh Castle and Bamburgh Castle. Probably 2 of the most picturesque courses I’ve played.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

3 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Was Seascale an omission or don't you like it?

Seascale is an excellent links track.

One of the joys of living in this area is that the views from many of these courses are absolutley stunning.

Silloth is also one of the best courses in the whole of the UK and the green fee for visitors is an absolute steal for a course of this quality.

Too true, Silloth is one of my all time favorites. Along with Seascale and Furness they are the best of seaside Cumbrian golf imo. I like Carlisle, which is a good test and Appleby-in-Westmorland is not to be missed. I'm not a lover of Penrith, bit too quirky in the middle and Ulverston is great for views, but that's about it apart from acouple of par 3s.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, elwhippy said:

Problem with the Lake District courses is they are not very good. Try Carlisle, Penrith and Ulverston for Parkland, Silloth and Furness for Links and Appleby for Moorland. 

Thought windermere was decent, not long can be very wet but the scenery is breathtaking.... Didn't think kendal was too bad either, the other I've played is Silloth which is a brilliant links course 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, scruffynick said:

While I'm in lockdown part 3, I've been watching all sorts on netflixs and I thought of this thread from OSR..... And I've been watching safe house with Christopher Eccleston, and boy the location filmed is stunning. Somewhere in lakes/Cumbria and if you ever come to the UK, you must come to the lakes District its absolutely stunning. 

Also, in August I took the family to the north east and stayed in Durham..... Another wonderful place, the coast line is spectacular. Only decent thing 2020, is make me realise how beautiful the English countryside is 

I can't remember where I saw the photos first, perhaps from a friend who had been there and was an avid walker, but once I laid eyes on Derwentwater and the surrounding fen including Catbells I was hooked.  The entire area became a bucket list target.

I've been to the UK 4 times now and never spent anymore time in the Lake District than to stop for petrol and a pub lunch as we were making our way rather hastily to Scotland along the M1.  Tragic really when I became aware of the scenery, but somewhat understandable with relatives to call on in the south as well as Scotland.

Some day once the world returns to normal again, whatever normal may entail.  I may even be persuaded to bring along a set of clubs... 😉

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thursday is 'Escape to the Country' omnibus night - don't judge - and is my poor mitigation technique for not getting over in 2020 or 2021 😉

In regards to the Lakes, Silloth is indeed fantastic and Seascale is good fun. Playing those two while in the area, is in no way just making do with what's nearby, but well worth playing in their own right.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

I can't remember where I saw the photos first, perhaps from a friend who had been there and was an avid walker, but once I laid eyes on Derwentwater and the surrounding fen including Catbells I was hooked.  The entire area became a bucket list target.

I've been to the UK 4 times now and never spent anymore time in the Lake District than to stop for petrol and a pub lunch as we were making our way rather hastily to Scotland along the M1.  Tragic really when I became aware of the scenery, but somewhat understandable with relatives to call on in the south as well as Scotland.

Some day once the world returns to normal again, whatever normal may entail.  I may even be persuaded to bring along a set of clubs... 😉

If you get to the Lakes, try the Herdwick Lamb. Best lamb I've ever had, better even than salthmarsh lamb in my opinion.

If you're a vegetarian, ignore my advice😁

• Like 1

Never been a fan of Seascale's course. Some weak holes and some plain weird. 9th and 18th are hard without being good. It never plays particularly linksy and in 30 plus years of visiting I can never recall the greens being quick. It is however and excellent members club and they keep a superb pint in the clubhouse. 

Castletown is an absolute belter of a course and real test in anything more than a breeze.