I'm a 26 year old father/husband who still gets an Easter Basket from his Mommy

that0neguy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best golf related gift I ever got was a custom ball mark repair tool with magnetic ball markers. Got it from my daughter (my golfing buddy). The ball markers were customized with a picture of our family and the other had a picture of just her and me. Pretty cool, everytime I mark a ball, I think of our family.

(Except, last fall, I gave it to her to use on the final day of the State Championships - as I was going to be out of town that day. Now, it is nowhere to be found. There is panic throughout the house!)

And, to the OP - no apologies needed. For Christmas, my Mom gives us adult kids things from our past. Maybe its an old picture, maybe its an old knife from our father that passed away, or those Hot Wheels I collected. First of all, she is cleaning out her attic, but more importantly, she is passing on the family heirlooms and memories. So, just an idea...the gifts don't necessarily need to be purchased.

I'm a 26, almost 27, year old father to an 18 month old and husband too and my mommy still gets me an Easter basket (and my wife/daughter).

She has asked what I want this year and it has to be tangible, no gift cards (her new rule). I have no idea what to ask for, I have 2000 tees I just stocked up on along with golf balls, some gloves, etc. We're trying to get my wife to become a SAHM, so we don't spend a lot on golf.

I'm wanting to hear some ideas of things to ask for (related to golf), under $100/piece. I was thinking some UA apparel, maybe a couple new hats, more golf balls? I have no idea where to go from there. The problem is I'm a frugal man and I don't like to pay full retail on anything, so I generally like sale ideas.

If there is a better sub-forum for this topic, please move it Mods, thanks.

Don't feel ashamed to get an Easter basket from Mommy. My late Mom had a sister, my Aunt Mildred, who married but never had children. Aunt Mildred was always buying me presents as a kid, so my Mom let her give me presents. Instead of my parents giving me presents, all my presents came from Aunt Mildred. Weird, I agree.

Aunt Mildred gave me Easter baskets every year, until she passed in 2006, at age 83. I was 53 when I got my last basket, filled with candies. Sometimes, she gave a basket a week late, when candy was 50-70% off.

Let your Mommy give you an Easter basket, and be happy. Someday, you'll be an orphan, and wish she were here.

I'm 38. Single. Borderline womanizer. Blue collar union tradesman who some in a certain clique here might think is a little too "uncouth" for WRX.....

Every Easter Sunday from the time I can remember hollering "mommy am I three yet??" --(1980)-- until present day, my dear sweet mama has had the same little wicker basket complete with fake grass, a plastic golfer rabbit, and a baby Jesus, waiting for me in the same spot. On the oak table across from the fireplace of their sitting room. For at least the last 25 years it's contained the same things:

(2) dyed hard boiled eggs

(2) Cadbury cream eggs

(2) Resse's peanut butter cup 2 packs

(2) packages of Swedish Fish .... best candy ever

(1) chocolate bunny .... solid, not those cheesed**k Chinese hollow things for smuggling dope. Although when I worked in field operat....nevermind.

(2) Cuties .... those are miniature oranges for those who don't get out much.

(1) surprise trinket. Hot Wheels car, gift card, little gearhead dust collector, gag gift, etc.

(handfuls) of various loose bulk candy.

I eat that sh!t up. Pun MF'n intended.

She's my mom. It makes her happy. If she died tomorrow, I'd miss that damn basket.

Doesn't mean my cord ain't been cut, or my mom is an overbearing control freak. It means she's cool.

Pal, you said it all.

Didn't mean to start such an argument! Using the term "Mommy" was meant to be tongue-in-cheek at my own expense.... :stink: The sententious attitudes are strong in this thread!

As for the ideas, I appreciate them! Me & my new toy truck!! ---> :to_become_senile:

Thank you - rarely get a chance to expand my vocab on this site - had to look up sententious. Much appreciated - and, well used.

Good luck with the fam damily. You are 7 behind me. Get going!

I still get Easter baskets from my mom and gifts from Santa on Christmas, albeit I don't refer to her as mommy. But in all seriousness, it's the little things that count in life. One day, when they are gone you will miss them. I think I appreciate these things more so in my life now than ever as my mom currently has terminal lung cancer. I know she doesn't have much time left, so every Easter basket I get, or one more gift from Santa I get, just means that much more to me. Life is too short to care about such frivolous things such as I am too old for this. I also have 2 boys, 6 and 7, and often think about how fast they are growing up and how hard it will be to let go. I just hope that my children are as accepting and appreciative of me as I am of my mom when they are my age.

Geez, thatOneguy. You really blew it. This is GolfWRX.

You shouldn't have said "Easter," because not everyone celebrates Easter. You should have said this is for your birthday.

And you shouldn't say this if from your Mommy, 'cause not everyone has a good relationship with his mother. And "mommy" sounds oedipal. You should have said this is from your wife.

And you shouldn't have mentioned how long this has been going on. 26 is waaaay too old to maintain family traditions. You should have said this is a one-time thing. (Why'd you wait so long to start a family anyway?)

And you shouldn't have mentioned the dollar amount, because it just makes you sounds like the elitist, entitled golfer you probably are. You should have kept this under $5.

And who are you to tell someone what they should get you--regardless of them asking for suggestions--anyway? You should be thinking of others, not yourself.

So, enjoy your birthday. Hopefully your wife gets you something cheap and utilitarian that is easily returned.

Didn't mean to start such an argument! Using the term "Mommy" was meant to be tongue-in-cheek at my own expense.... :stink: The sententious attitudes are strong in this thread!

As for the ideas, I appreciate them! Me & my new toy truck!! ---> :to_become_senile:

Thank you - rarely get a chance to expand my vocab on this site - had to look up sententious. Much appreciated - and, well used.

Good luck with the fam damily. You are 7 behind me. Get going!

Are you raising a family? Or fielding an expansion MLB team?

So much respect for parents with families that large -- my goal is 3 unless there is no boy yet!

some in a certain clique here might think is a little too "uncouth" for WRX

Me too Bro :)

Madison's ex said that very statement to Pete regarding me and it was only the second time in his adult life that he punched a man in the face first, LMAO

I think it was one of those things whereby Pete could say stuff about me but others, especially those that he couldn't stand, would he best served to tread lightly, lol

Eff em~

I treat cliques like wheaties in that cliche and instead of rain I ........

Happy Easter to You and Yours :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm 38. Single. Borderline womanizer. Blue collar union tradesman who some in a certain clique here might think is a little too "uncouth" for WRX.....

Every Easter Sunday from the time I can remember hollering "mommy am I three yet??" --(1980)-- until present day, my dear sweet mama has had the same little wicker basket complete with fake grass, a plastic golfer rabbit, and a baby Jesus, waiting for me in the same spot. On the oak table across from the fireplace of their sitting room. For at least the last 25 years it's contained the same things:

(2) dyed hard boiled eggs

(2) Cadbury cream eggs

(2) Resse's peanut butter cup 2 packs

(2) packages of Swedish Fish .... best candy ever

(1) chocolate bunny .... solid, not those cheesed**k Chinese hollow things for smuggling dope. Although when I worked in field operat....nevermind.

(2) Cuties .... those are miniature oranges for those who don't get out much.

(1) surprise trinket. Hot Wheels car, gift card, little gearhead dust collector, gag gift, etc.

(handfuls) of various loose bulk candy.

I eat that sh!t up. Pun MF'n intended.

She's my mom. It makes her happy. If she died tomorrow, I'd miss that damn basket.

Doesn't mean my cord ain't been cut, or my mom is an overbearing control fdreak. It means she's cool.

I do the same for all of my children and one is married with a newborn and I get my son-in-law a basket/Christmas stocking also. Richard's mother does this also for all four of her children(all adults, lol) and grandchildren. It is so refreshing to see men who are comfortable with themselves that they can put others in front of themselves, and if it brings joy to their mother, which it does for me and Richard's mother, they allow us that. I have always gotten age appropriate baskets/stockings and it's all in fun. And Dan, FWIW, you have always been one of my favorite to follow because you are comfortable with yourself, and as Richard would say, you're not afraid to separate from the herd when necessary. That is a very attractive feature in a man because the vast majority are sheep, lol. Happy Easter :) Maddie

some in a certain clique here might think is a little too "uncouth" for WRX

Me too Bro :)

Madison's ex said that very statement to Pete regarding me and it was only the second time in his adult life that he punched a man in the face first, LMAO

I think it was one of those things whereby Pete could say stuff about me but others, especially those that he couldn't stand, would he best served to tread lightly, lol

Eff em~

I treat cliques like wheaties in that cliche and instead of rain I ........

Happy Easter to You and Yours :)

My Best,

RP

The funny thing(well not at the time. At the time I was pissed at both Pete and Richard as they should have known better and ignored him. He was a putz) was that the next day Richard went up him at the range and just dropped him. As he lay there he looked up and said that he had that coming for what he had said and Richard said no, he could care less what he said however that was for upsetting Pete, lol. Pete then got pissed at Richard and made him pick up balls at closing riding in the "cage." They had a very peculiar relationship, lol :) M

The debate about wether your mother should get you a gift or not aside....

I suggest:

• A Scorecard holder - in nice leather so you have it for life
  • A high headcover of your choosing
  • A belt buckle like 59 makes (if that is your style)
  • tickets to a sporting event
  • Round of golf

Now to jump into the debate. I am of the view that once you are an adult, there is nothing wrong with your parents doing nice things for you. But since you are now an adult you should be doing nice things for them. In the balance of life, I tend to think things should shift from them taking care of you to gradually over time you taking care of them.

I am an "old guy" by wrx standards. I have kids in their teens and parents nearly 70 and I am happily doing 'nice things' for both.

So my view at the OP age, I have no issue the his Mom giving him a gift on easter, but if they have an adult relationship he should be doing things for her as well when appropriate. It should not to be one sided.

Didn't mean to start such an argument!

HaHa, Bro you've been around long enough to know that you could post "Golf is a great game" and you'll get a a page full of guys(yea, this is a guy thing, the Ladies on this sight are the Best) not only saying that "golf sucks" but so do you, lol :)

Nice thread, nice post and you sound like a great guy and I'll be thinkin of you when I get my basket on Easter Sunday :)

Stay Well My Friend & Have a Blessed Easter :)

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I suggest:

• Round of golf

Now to jump into the debate. I am of the view that once you are an adult, there is nothing wrong with your parents doing nice things for you. But since you are now an adult you should be doing nice things for them. In the balance of life, I tend to think things should shift from them taking care of you to gradually over time you taking care of them.

I am an "old guy" by wrx standards. I have kids in their teens and parents nearly 70 and I am happily doing 'nice things' for both.

So my view at the OP age, I have no issue the his Mom giving him a gift on easter, but if they have an adult relationship he should be doing things for as well when appropriate. It should to be one sided.

You're assuming a lot here....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I suggest:

• Round of golf

So my view is at the OP's age, I have no issue the his Mom giving him a gift on easter, but if they have an adult relationship he should be doing things for as well, when appropriate. It should not be one sided.

Sorry I was not meaning to, but I could see how it could be read that way. I am not saying the OP has a one sided relationship. Just saying that if he (or any 'adult' child does,) in my view there is an issue.

I suggest:

• Round of golf

So my view is at the OP's age, I have no issue the his Mom giving him a gift on easter, but if they have an adult relationship he should be doing things for as well, when appropriate. It should not be one sided.

Sorry I was not meaning to, but I could see how it could be read that way. I am not saying the OP has one sided relationship. Just saying that if he (r any 'adult' child does, in my view there is an issue.

Fair enough. I agree with your thoughts on that, for the record.

When parents, or other family members enter their twilight, a good family dynamic would see the children and the other younger members of said family stepping up to assist.

In my case, I have not worked in my real career much since last July helping my elderly parents (late 70 - early 80s) through their medical issues. Chief, cook, bottle washer, medical transportation, lawn mower, wood chopper, oil changer, vacuumer(?), duster, launderer (clothes...ok, maybe money too mind your own biznez)...etc.

They've more than earned it for helping me develop into a semi-high functioning sort-of-adult. I'm an only child (insert spoiled rotten jokes here) and there are days when having a brother or sister to fall back on would be nice, but....I'm a big guy, it'll work out.

Still can't wait 'til the Easter basket shows up. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I suggest:

• Round of golf

Sorry I was not meaning to, but I could see how it could be read that way. I am not saying the OP has one sided relationship. Just saying that if he (r any 'adult' child does, in my view there is an issue.

Fair enough. I agree with your thoughts on that, for the record.

When parents, or other family members enter their twilight, a good family dynamic would see the children and the other younger members of said family stepping up to assist.

In my case, I have not worked in my real career much since last July helping my elderly parents (late 70 - early 80s) through their medical issues. Chief, cook, bottle washer, medical transportation, lawn mower, wood chopper, oil changer, vacuumer(?), duster, launderer (clothes...ok, maybe money too mind your own biznez)...etc.

They've more than earned it for helping me develop into a semi-high functioning sort-of-adult. I'm an only child (insert spoiled rotten jokes here) and there are days when having a brother or sister to fall back on would be nice, but....I'm a big guy, it'll work out.

Still can't wait 'til the Easter basket shows up. :)

For what it's worth, sometimes adult children don't take care of their aging parents. I was an only child, I was always around for my parents and the widowed aunt mentioned above.. My father got sick in 1998 with heart problems, etc. with my mother and aunt following. At that time, I had a growing one man tax practice. My father and mother passed in 2005, (age 85 and 87) two months apart, and my aunt passed in 2006 (age 83). In the eight years of care giving, my tax practice withered to nothing, my clients retired and died, and none to replace. My care giving duties took precedent over everything else.

People who have never given this type of care to others have no idea how time consuming it can be. I recall people telling me "That's nothing." Others people marveled how great a son I was. My wife was an only child of seven, took care of her Mom until she passed in 2014 (age 91). Very little assistance from her siblings. That's just the way it is.

I don't regret my duties as a son. It's not for everyone, though.