2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I'm a 26 year old father/husband who still gets an Easter Basket from his Mommy

that0neguy

I'm a 26, almost 27, year old father to an 18 month old and husband too and my mommy still gets me an Easter basket (and my wife/daughter).

She has asked what I want this year and it has to be tangible, no gift cards (her new rule). I have no idea what to ask for, I have 2000 tees I just stocked up on along with golf balls, some gloves, etc. We're trying to get my wife to become a SAHM, so we don't spend a lot on golf.

I'm wanting to hear some ideas of things to ask for (related to golf), under $100/piece. I was thinking some UA apparel, maybe a couple new hats, more golf balls? I have no idea where to go from there. The problem is I'm a frugal man and I don't like to pay full retail on anything, so I generally like sale ideas.

If there is a better sub-forum for this topic, please move it Mods, thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nice way I'd ask that:

1. The Easter basket just starts going to your daughter (her granddaughter) only...

2. The decision on whether or not your wife (her daughter-in-law) becomes a SAHM is not something 'we' try to get your wife to become... (I assume you mean you and your Mommy)

I say those things in a kind way, but it's time now to cut the cord, or at some point, these types of things may lead to other issues...

1. The Easter basket just starts going to your daughter (her granddaughter) only...

2. The decision on whether or not your wife (her daughter-in-law) becomes a SAHM is not something 'we' try to get your wife to become... (I assume you mean you and your Mommy)

I say those things in a kind way, but it's time now to cut the cord, or at some point, these types of things may lead to other issues...

I'm pretty sure that the "we" he referred to was he and his wife, not he and his Mom. That's why he followed up with the comment that "we (he and his wife) don't spend a lot on golf."

What in the world is this "cut the cord" business? The guy came on here for some < $100 gift suggestions and he has to put up with this?

If a Mother wants to give her son an Easter basket, Valentines Day gift and a green shirt for St. Patrick's Day every year, for as long as she lives, then she should be able to do so without hesitation.

This is not something that he is asking his Mom for... It is something a Mother enjoys doing for her Son, and that should be respected.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nature Valley granola bars, Nuun electrolyte tablets, sunscreen, insect repellent, replacement spikes, Sharpies, socks, and batteries for your rangefinder.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Geez, the guy asked a sImple question in a light hearted way and he's getting blasted. I guarantee my wife will be sending Valentine's Day and Easter gifts to our kids as long as she's alive. She loves to do it (incidentally, our son is almost 29, so similar situation).

OP, I love the idea of a tee time to a course you wouldn't normally pony up,the $$$ to play. It's pretty specific, so at least a little different from a gift card.

If a Mother wants to give her son an Easter basket, Valentines Day gift and a green shirt for St. Patrick's Day every year, for as long as she lives, then she should be able to do so without hesitation.

This is not something that he is asking his Mom for... It is something a Mother enjoys doing for her Son, and that should be respected.

At some point the adult son probably should say "hey mom, I appreciate the easter basket that you've been giving me since I was 2 years old, but how about this year I take you to an Easter Brunch instead so you can see your grandchild?"

At some point the adult son probably should say "hey mom, I appreciate the easter basket that you've been giving me since I was 2 years old, but how about this year I take you to an Easter Brunch instead so you can see your grandchild?"

I'm guessing what makes Mom happy is still doing the Easter basket thing.

I'm guessing what makes Mom happy is still doing the Easter basket thing.

+1

And I highly doubt that the gifting of Easter baskets is the beginning and end of their family's holiday celebration.

The lack of perspective in this thread is astounding.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Maybe some big boy pants? ;-)

LMAO, now my pants are feelin pretty damn good, lol

Onesy, you've got some great ideas here!!

Happy Easter to you and yours Bro :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm pretty sure that the "we" he referred to was he and his wife, not he and his Mom. That's why he followed up with the comment that "we (he and his wife) don't spend a lot on golf."

What in the world is this "cut the cord" business? The guy came on here for some < $100 gift suggestions and he has to put up with this?

Deadsolid-

So you said

Geez, the guy asked a sImple question in a light hearted way and he's getting blasted. I guarantee my wife will be sending Valentine's Day and Easter gifts to our kids as long as she's alive. She loves to do it (incidentally, our son is almost 29, so similar situation).

I understand what you are saying... We have 3 grown adult kids of our own. They are adults now, and have their own children. I'm very happy for 'ThatOne' if his Mommy still wants to send him an Easter basket at 27, perhaps it's a tradition that his kids can carry on as well. For us, we send cards too, and we prefer to spend time with our kids, and buy the gifts for our grandchildren, always with the parents approval. The Easter basket to a 27 year old seemed to be a bit too much, and I apologize to 'Thatone' and to you. Also as an English major in college with a minor in communication sometimes I become too picky. When I saw "we're trying to get my wife to become" I didn't see it as "my wife is trying to become", my bad. At 65 I should try to catch up on today's phrasing :)

"Cutting the cord" isn't really a business as much as it is removing the parent dependent relationship at marriage, emotionally, financially, and in many other ways, and learning to depend on each other. So in this case, you're probably right, 'ThatOne' is just having a good memory that may carry on which he can share now with his current family. Some people though just can't seem to make that split, and it can affect a marriage in a negative way.

Maybe I should have worded it differently rather than starting out with "In a nice way" and ending with "I say those things in a kind way"

You're right, perhaps his situation is different than some where the Mom seems to take over a marriage and becomes very dominant.

I say this in "an apologetic way" not knowing (for ThatOneguy) "your situation" in "relation to many I've seen over many years".. I "wish you and your family a very happy Easter" "including your Mom who means well"... "It's very nice of her to think of all of you". There, no blast such as 'In a nice way' and 'In a kind way'.

How about some new golf shoes? You can find some pretty good deals for under $100 if you look around.

I'm 38. Single. Borderline womanizer. Blue collar union tradesman who some in a certain clique here might think is a little too "uncouth" for WRX.....

Every Easter Sunday from the time I can remember hollering "mommy am I three yet??" --(1980)-- until present day, my dear sweet mama has had the same little wicker basket complete with fake grass, a plastic golfer rabbit, and a baby Jesus, waiting for me in the same spot. On the oak table across from the fireplace of their sitting room. For at least the last 25 years it's contained the same things:

(2) dyed hard boiled eggs

(2) Cadbury cream eggs

(2) Resse's peanut butter cup 2 packs

(2) packages of Swedish Fish .... best candy ever

(1) chocolate bunny .... solid, not those cheesed**k Chinese hollow things for smuggling dope. Although when I worked in field operat....nevermind.

(2) Cuties .... those are miniature oranges for those who don't get out much.

(1) surprise trinket. Hot Wheels car, gift card, little gearhead dust collector, gag gift, etc.

(handfuls) of various loose bulk candy.

I eat that sh!t up. Pun MF'n intended.

She's my mom. It makes her happy. If she died tomorrow, I'd miss that damn basket.

Doesn't mean my cord ain't been cut, or my mom is an overbearing control freak. It means she's cool.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I'm a 26, almost 27, year old father to an 18 month old and husband too and my mommy still gets me an Easter basket (and my wife/daughter).

She has asked what I want this year and it has to be tangible, no gift cards (her new rule). I have no idea what to ask for, I have 2000 tees I just stocked up on along with golf balls, some gloves, etc. We're trying to get my wife to become a SAHM, so we don't spend a lot on golf.

I'm wanting to hear some ideas of things to ask for (related to golf), under $100/piece. I was thinking some UA apparel, maybe a couple new hats, more golf balls? I have no idea where to go from there. The problem is I'm a frugal man and I don't like to pay full retail on anything, so I generally like sale ideas.

If there is a better sub-forum for this topic, please move it Mods, thanks.

Seamus Golf has some cool ball marker "coins", pitch mark tools, and various other little things that are kinda cool and well under $100.

Build instant heirloom sentimental value to your golf kit.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Deadsolid-

So you said

I understand what you are saying... We have 3 grown adult kids of our own. They are adults now, and have their own children. I'm very happy for 'ThatOne' if his Mommy still wants to send him an Easter basket at 27, perhaps it's a tradition that his kids can carry on as well. For us, we send cards too, and we prefer to spend time with our kids, and buy the gifts for our grandchildren, always with the parents approval. The Easter basket to a 27 year old seemed to be a bit too much, and I apologize to 'Thatone' and to you. Also as an English major in college with a minor in communication sometimes I become too picky. When I saw "we're trying to get my wife to become" I didn't see it as "my wife is trying to become", my bad. At 65 I should try to catch up on today's phrasing :)

"Cutting the cord" isn't really a business as much as it is removing the parent dependent relationship at marriage, emotionally, financially, and in many other ways, and learning to depend on each other. So in this case, you're probably right, 'ThatOne' is just having a good memory that may carry on which he can share now with his current family. Some people though just can't seem to make that split, and it can affect a marriage in a negative way.

Maybe I should have worded it differently rather than starting out with "In a nice way" and ending with "I say those things in a kind way"

You're right, perhaps his situation is different than some where the Mom seems to take over a marriage and becomes very dominant.

I say this in "an apologetic way" not knowing (for ThatOneguy) "your situation" in "relation to many I've seen over many years".. I "wish you and your family a very happy Easter" "including your Mom who means well"... "It's very nice of her to think of all of you". There, no blast such as 'In a nice way' and 'In a kind way'.

How about some new golf shoes? You can find some pretty good deals for under $100 if you look around.

Hey 60,

It's all good. I did read the OP has an attempt at a little levity with the "mommy" usage, but I can also see where someone could interpret it differently. And what you wrote makes a lot of sense just based on how much seriousness someone read into the post.

Sounds typical of generation - me.

Sounds typical of generation--"get off my lawn"

Which is kind of ironic since our next door neighbors have three young boys and the people who just moved in accros the street have four. I don't much care about my lawn, but I do wish they'd quit leaving stuff in my driveway.

OP, same here buddy. I'm 27 with an 20 MO. Old and another due this month. My mom still does the same thing. As others have said, ask for some accessory that will have some sentimental value, ball marker, etc. It'll mean a lot at some point in your life.

As for the rest of you, if his mom is anything like my mom, lifetime homemaker who's youngest is out of college, these kinds of things mean a lot to her. HER. It makes her feel super close to me and my brother and sister again. Who am I or you to tell her to stop doing something she loves or makes her feel good? Trust me, there were some embarrassing mornings in college getting mom's Easter basket and I've told her she didn't have to, but SHE loves it and it makes her happy.

OP, same here buddy. I'm 27 with an 20 MO. Old and another due this month. My mom still does the same thing. As others have said, ask for some accessory that will have some sentimental value, ball marker, etc. It'll mean a lot at some point in your life.

As for the rest of you, if his mom is anything like my mom, lifetime homemaker who's youngest is out of college, these kinds of things mean a lot to her. HER. It makes her feel super close to me and my brother and sister again. Who am I or you to tell her to stop doing something she loves or makes her feel good? Trust me, there were some embarrassing mornings in college getting mom's Easter basket and I've told her she didn't have to, but SHE loves it and it makes her happy.

Exactly. Maybe all the "cord cutters" are just envious.