3:1 Tempo

Matt J

I agree with you guys, not anticipating the tones is hard.

Same.

Edit: I e-mailed John the question regarding how they train students to continue to react to the beats, rather than simply "matching" them. I gave him the URL for this thread, so maybe he'll post!

As I think about it the first beat ("swing") is always anticipated.

The last beat ("through") is kind of tough to do anything but attempt to match

It's really just the "set" that can be "cheated."

I think the good news in all this is that the overall time to make each swing (24/8, 27/9, etc.) is maintained.

Yes, he knows about the thread :)

The thing about anticipating and I've already spent more time here adressing it than I did thinking about it and that is for me, instead of thinking about and focusing on the negative, "don't anticipate, don't anticipate, don't anticipate, etc," I focus and visualize in the FEEL of 3:1 and 24/8 and I and Maddie recommend that the individual focus on whatever their target number is.

If you initially focus on anticipating,and if it helps you improve your Tempo, go with it and use it like training wheels on a bike and wean yourself off if it.

Everyone is different however I have never ever focused on the negative whether it be "don't anticipate" or "don't go left."

I put all of my energy and focus into what I want to do.

Regarding John coming on, he's probably gonna pass. He's busier than hell, and while he answers every email himself, there's not enough hours in the day for him.

And my .03 worth was that While all the guys that have posted here have been great(and you too Sweetie :) ), I wouldn't do it.

Have a Great week Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that tempo and rhythm are extremely important fundamentals but way under-appreciated by most players and most teachers. The 3:1 ratio is real.

My only critique of TT is that it tends to create the mistaken notion that the forward swing starts right after the club pauses at the Top. In reality, it starts when you still have about 10-15 degrees of shoulder girdle coil to finish, as your Core fires in a tight circle to the left and as your tailbone/hip girdle shift laterally left. When you factor that in, it changes the ratio to 2:1. About 6/8 second backswing and 3/8 second forward swing to impact.

Hey Jim, I hope that you're well :)

Out of curiosity, where in the TT literature, articles or videos did John imply that the forward swing began after a pause at the top?

The reason that I ask is that he knows, as does anyone who knows anything about the swing that there is no actual pause as the transition/downswing commences prior to the club reaching the "top," with the "chain" being as you described.

This is one of the best things about an individual successfully integrating the 3:1 tempo into their swing because how many mid/high caps do we all see who actually STOP/PAUSEs the top?

I have never ever seen a successful Player, Pro or Am, who did, and John claims that he's seen exactly 2 out of the tens of thousands of swings that he's seen.

This is me talking now, not John, however I would classify a definitive pause/stopat the top as a "death move" to an athletic swing.

I wish you the very best this season and just read your mental material in your book for about the umpteenth time, HaHa

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My view is that tempo and rhythm are extremely important fundamentals but way under-appreciated by most players and most teachers. The 3:1 ratio is real.

My only critique of TT is that it tends to create the mistaken notion that the forward swing starts right after the club pauses at the Top. In reality, it starts when you still have about 10-15 degrees of shoulder girdle coil to finish, as your Core fires in a tight circle to the left and as your tailbone/hip girdle shift laterally left. When you factor that in, it changes the ratio to 2:1. About 6/8 second backswing and 3/8 second forward swing to impact.

Out of curiosity, where in the TT literature, articles or videos did John imply that the forward swing began after a pause at the top?

The reason that I ask is that he knows, as does anyone who knows anything about the swing that there is no actual pause as the transition/downswing commences prior to the club reaching the "top," with the "chain" being as you described.

This is one of the best things about an individual successfully integrating the 3:1 tempo into their swing because how many mid/high caps do we all see who actually STOP/PAUSEs the top?

I have never ever seen a successful Player, Pro or Am, who did, and John claims that he's seen exactly 2 out of the tens of thousands of swings that he's seen.

This is me talking now, not John, however I would classify a definitive pause/stopat the top as a "death move" to an athletic swing.

I wish you the very best this season and just read your mental material in your book for about the umpteenth time, HaHa

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

I was referring to the change of direction of the clubhead at the Top - not the body pausing - and at least in his original book my understanding was that his premise was that forward swing started from when club started its journey forward, not the body. And he is 100% right that most tour pros show a 3:1 ratio of backswing to forward swing to impact when defined in that way. When working with students who were using TT, I was seeing a lot of issues crop up, because the students were trying to actually sense the tiny moment in time when the club stopped before changing direction. Perhaps the students just did not correctly understand the TT material? Or perhaps John improved his theory since first book came out? Or maybe my own understanding is flawed? I thought the second tone was supposed to happen at the completion of the backswing when shoulder girdle achieves full coil and club has paused for a fraction of a second?

Hope you are well, my friend!

If you'll allow I can give my interpretation after using this just a few days.

I made sure to wait to start the takeaway until the first tone. I made sure to wait to start my downswing after I heard the second tone. It became apparent that I sped up my backswing and got to the top before the second tone. At that point it felt I waited for the second tone. It felt like a pause but wasn't because I was actually in transition and my body was setting for the downswing and the second tone was triggering my shoulders/arms to fire. The hips were already changing direction. Felt like a pause but there was no stopping just a change of direction. I had to fire fast to get to impact and was set to do so.

In conclusion, I'd say fast backswing, slow transition, fast downswing. This is how it felt. The interval between the first and second tone is backswing and transition. The interval between the second and third tone is when the arms fire to impact.

This TT is not a fault fixer. It will give you external focus. If your head is clogged with swing thoughts this may help. IMO too many internal thoughts slow you down and destroy rhythm.

Now RP, I did the drills but I didn't spend a lot of time on them. I started with wedge when I went to the full swing and went through the bag including driver. That was the selling point for me. Success happened when I convinced myself to just wait for the tones. 24:8 is where I was most successful.

That's my personal experience/review with limited use. I like it and will spend more time on the drills to help ingrain it.

Hope this was on topic and helpful.

MC

Just to let everyone know that John replied to my inquiry, yesterday. (Maybe two hours after I e-mailed him.) Unfortunately, he replied there is no band-aid for anticipating the beeps, and you just have to do your best to react to them.

On a different note, those who read Tour Tempo I, might remember the Weems kids who were John's students.

John reports Josh, the middle brother, is now 25 and quit his job to make a run at the tour! Clubhead speed of 125 mph!

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

I was referring to the change of direction of the clubhead at the Top - not the body pausing - and at least in his original book my understanding was that his premise was that forward swing started from when club started its journey forward, not the body. And he is 100% right that most tour pros show a 3:1 ratio of backswing to forward swing to impact when defined in that way. When working with students who were using TT, I was seeing a lot of issues crop up, because the students were trying to actually sense the tiny moment in time when the club stopped before changing direction. Perhaps the students just did not correctly understand the TT material? Or perhaps John improved his theory since first book came out? Or maybe my own understanding is flawed? I thought the second tone was supposed to happen at the completion of the backswing when shoulder girdle achieves full coil and club has paused for a fraction of a second?

Good morning Jim & Gents :)

Let me say first that I have never not will I ever speak "for" John. I will only speak from my interpretation of his words and thoughts and if I have any question, and I'm Talking ANY question, I speak to him and clear whatever that question may be up.

I also am speaking as a student of John's and TT. A little background-

It was 2011 and I was around 1.5~ and 2.2~. However I had been trending upwards and was very frustrated because except for a period following my second shoulder recon I had not been above Plus since I was 25yo, in 1985.

I had been through 6 Teachers since Pete passed(04/11/2006), with three of them of national renown and ironically it was one of the other three that I clicked with, however he left the Burgh for a position at Pebble, leaving me searching again.

I'm not the easiest student. I don't say that trying to be funny however being an excellent athlete and Player along with being successful competitively and a Type A, I'm not the easiest student. I am very skeptical of bulls*** and my bar is extremely high as to who I will listen to. Ironically, it has nothing to do with accolades or reputation, as the kid that I clicked with was a 1st asst that noone outside of our club, Oakmont and Pebble(They both offered him positions) had heard of. I make my choice initially as do I click with you as a person. If I don't, I don't care if you're nationally or internationally renowned(two were), I'm not gonna learn from you cuz I've gotta be "all in," and if I am, I'll follow you over a cliff and trust that you've got our landing taken care of.

So I was on the computer looking under "tempo" and I came across the TT stuff. I saw the clinical stuff however having spent the past 25+ years in surgical suites all over this country and reading, disseminating and teaching surgeons procedures and protocols, I have read every orthopedic study published regarding joint replacement(hip/knee) and one thing I know is, blind, double blind yada, yada yada, that as long as the human being is in the chain, I take ALL studies with a grain of salt, as do your best surgeons, regardless of specialty. If you get a surgeon that hangs on a study to support his medical/surgical decision with you, RUN, not walk, RUN the hell out of his office.

So you can imagine how I felt about some golf "study," LMAO.

I felt no need to read it nor did I until I was out of the game in late 2013, when I was trapped in a bed and bored, lol.

John's stuff made sense, and Pete was huge on Tempo, though he obviously never put a number on it, and even more so, He was worse than Sam regarding "KISS." I saw him dismiss two assts. from interviews, one who flew in from IL to try to work under him, because they couldn't give a lesson without video. The guy who flew in from IL was pissed, hahaha. What a Putz, lol. So I bought the App, the frame counter and off I went. Long story short, I followed his instructions and we started talking and I sent him video and he and his son made a few suggestions and I basically turned back the clock to my mid 90's performances, as Maddie and I kicked A** in BB tourneys and I ended up winning the W Pa Inter-Club MP Championship in my last singles tourney, against a +4.5 former 3-Time Club Champ from Oakmont. Sure, I got lucky and he Played meh and I Played well, however I can still visualize/hear the TT 24/8 music in my head as I walked between shots. I tend to get "quick" when I go sideways. That music kept me front & centered and even keeled.

That is how I came to hear about, try and successfully integrate TT into my swing and John as my Teacher.

It was quite simple-

Just like Tour Tempo.

Yes, the forward swing actually starts with the hips shifting before the club head(hands) starts forward however the hands/club head are much much easier to measure and thus control and change the tempo if necessary. This is why the measurement is the way it is.

I have observed Maddie with a few students, and it is a few, because most do not get into irrelevant esoteric minutia of trying to "sense" or "feel" the EXACT moment when the club stops and changes direction.

WHO GIVES A S***?????

Jim, THIS IS IN NO WAY DIRECTED AT YOU, however, it's like I said to one of Madison's students when he kept circling back to this point, and I'd heard enough and I stood, and asked "Dude, who gives a s***??" seriously, what in God's name does that have to do with applying TT to one's golf swing and swinging to the tones?" Please don't tell me this is how some people learn because I know of no athlete, and I'll include football here, whereby someone had to know something so irrelevant as that "point" at the top, to perform. THIS is why most Ams suck. They get caught up in all this intellectual fat and lose sight of the simple fact that the object is to pick a target, pick a club, swing that club and put the ball on target. That's it.

Ya listen to the tones.

Ya swing to the tones.

It's simple and it works.

The second tone does indeed signal the end of the back swing at which point one should be into their down swing.

I have never gotten into where my body is at any point in my swing, ie., hips, chest, shoulders, arms, hands, and if any of it was out of synch, then I would look at my ball flight divot and if need be, I'd have John take a look at a few videos, though I never had to do that. As far as me thinking about it? Never. I just burnt that 24/8 tempo into my brain and swung to that.

I don't care whereITF my back swing ends, my transition begins or anything in between.

Knowing that has never helped me hit a golf ball.

You tell me what to do, if I believe in you, I do it, I do it a lot, more that 99% do it and I get as good as my ability allows.

It's pretty damn simple to me :)

Again Jim, when I make these statements or ask questions, they are not directed at you. When I'm able to swing again, You and I are going to talk if you'll have me. I really really like your mental approach and I like you as a person. and I'd love to work with you on my mental side because I've got a serious mountain to climb to Play again.

Regarding students having problems with TT, and Maddie can speak to this however it is when they think too much, try to make issues where there are none, and they make it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more complicated than it need be.

It's like some people cannot just do something and NOT THINK ABOUT IT.

JUST DO IT.

And please people, don't tell me that some people are have to learn this way, because if they do indeed have to learn this way, then I'll tell ya two things that you can take to the bank-

1) Their swing and game sucks

2) Their swing and game will ALWAYS suck

I'm not an idiot. Two BSc in Chemistry/Biology and a MSc in Business Administration however my intellect has had very very little to do with my ability to either Play football or hit a golf ball. I found people that I trusted, I listened to them, did what they said the way that they said and worked my a** off(reps).

Most the guys I know that are good at anything, regardless of the arena, did the same thing.

Hey, if someone thinks that John's full of s*** and TT doesn't work, no problems, keep on movin down the road, no blood no foul.

I'm sure that there's a theory/method out there to help ya with your game, lol.

Michael, great post!!

The very best to ya Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

Just to let everyone know that John replied to my inquiry, yesterday. (Maybe two hours after I e-mailed him.) Unfortunately, he replied there is no band-aid for anticipating the beeps, and you just have to do your best to react to them.

On a different note, those who read Tour Tempo I, might remember the Weems kids who were John's students.

John reports Josh, the middle brother, is now 25 and quit his job to make a run at the tour! Clubhead speed of 125 mph!

Good luck to Josh!

games, there may not be a band-aid for anticipating the tones but it's a good idea for people to read the 'info' section of the app. It states in that section that human reaction time of about one-fifth of a second is built in to the first two tones. This is huge from a psychological standpoint knowing you have the time built in to react and there's no need to anticipate.

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

Let me say first that I have never not will I ever speak "for" John. I will only speak from my interpretation of his words and thoughts and if I have any qurstion, and I'm Talking ANY question, I speak to him and clear whatever that question may be up.

It was 2011 and I was around 1.5~ and 2.2~. However I had been trending upwards and was very frustrated because except for a period following my second shoulder recon I had not been above Plus since I was 25yo, in 1985.

I had been through 6 Teachers since Pete passed(04/11/2006), with three of them of national renown and ironically it was one of the other three that I clicked with, however he left the Burgh for a position at Pebble, leaving me searching again.

I'm not the easiest student. I don't say that trying to be funny however being an excellent athlete and Player along with being successful competitively and a Type A, I'm not the easiest student. I am very skeptical of bulls*** and my bar is extremely high as to who I will listen to. Ironically, it has nothing to do with accolades or reputation, as the kid that I clicked with was a 1st asst that noone outside of our club, Oakmont and Pebble(They both offered him positions) had heard of. I make my choice initially as do I click with you as a person. If I don't, I don't care if you're nationally or internationally renowned(two were), I'm not gonna learn from you cuz I've gotta be "all in," and if I am, I'll follow you over a cliff and trust that you've got our landing taken care of.

****I have to go to MRI/CT's so I'll be back, I didn't mean to hit "post."

I'm such an A**h****, lmao

Later Gents :)

My Best,

Richard

No worries, mate! I am a big fan of the Tour Tempo concept and recommend it often to my students, but I do have that one concern about how one actually achieves the video framing 3:1 ratio.

Let me see if I can make my comment a bit more clear. If the 30 frames per second research shows about 3/4 or 6/8 second or 21 frames from start of backswing to the Top, and Top defined as the slight pause that occurs when shoulder girdle reaches maximum coil and clubhead stops going back and pauses for a fraction of a second, and from there to impact is roughly 7 frames or 1/4 second or 2/8 a second, then there is indeed a true 3:1 ratio, ie 6/8 vs 2/8 seconds. But if you define the start of the forward swing as when the Core fires to the left followed by the tailbone/hip girdle lateral shift, that happens when the shoulder girdle has another roughly 1/8 second to finish arriving at the Top, then you have a 5/8 second backswing and a 3/8 or a bit less time interval from that moment of Core firing to impact. Much closer to a 2:1 ratio. So my question is this - are the tones set for a true 3:1 ratio or a 2:1 ratio?

Time delay is another factor as was mentioned. Tones would have to be set to sound even a bit earlier so that body could react. It would be great if John could chime in and help us achieve a better understanding.

One reason I made my comment is that probably 90% of my average skill level students do in fact think that "everything stops together" at the Top, and then "everything starts down together" on Transition - a common mis-perception.

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

Let me say first that I have never not will I ever speak "for" John. I will only speak from my interpretation of his words and thoughts and if I have any qurstion, and I'm Talking ANY question, I speak to him and clear whatever that question may be up.

****I have to go to MRI/CT's so I'll be back, I didn't mean to hit "post."

I'm such an A**h****, lmao

Later Gents :)

My Best,

Richard

No worries, mate! I am a big fan of the Tour Tempo concept and recommend it often to my students, but I do have that one concern about how one actually achieves the video framing 3:1 ratio.

Let me see if I can make my comment a bit more clear. If the 30 frames per second research shows about 3/4 or 6/8 second or 21 frames from start of backswing to the Top, and Top defined as the slight pause that occurs when shoulder girdle reaches maximum coil and clubhead stops going back and pauses for a fraction of a second, and from there to impact is roughly 7 frames or 1/4 second or 2/8 a second, then there is indeed a true 3:1 ratio, ie 6/8 vs 2/8 seconds. But if you define the start of the forward swing as when the Core fires to the left followed by the tailbone/hip girdle lateral shift, that happens when the shoulder girdle has another roughly 1/8 second to finish arriving at the Top, then you have a 5/8 second backswing and a 3/8 or a bit less time interval from that moment of Core firing to impact. Much closer to a 2:1 ratio. So my question is this - are the tones set for a true 3:1 ratio or a 2:1 ratio?

Time delay is another factor as was mentioned. Tones would have to be set to sound even a bit earlier so that body could react. It would be great if John could chime in and help us achieve a better understanding.

One reason I made my comment is that probably 90% of my average skill level students do in fact think that "everything stops together" at the Top, and then "everything starts down together" on Transition - a common mis-perception.

Wouldn't the brain be aware of when the beep is going to happen after listening to it a few times ? For example I have slow reaction times but can hit a drum on the beat when I have the rhythm internalised ?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Jim, I'm not sure if this helps. Listening to the tones, there's definitely a bigger gap between the first and second tones compared to the second and third.

I can establish a four count rhythm to the tones. The tones sound - one, ,three, four.

Now, this is on the app with the reaction times built in which, I agree, would need to sound early to establish a 3:1 ratio. John would surely provide much more insight.

Jim, I'm not sure if this helps. Listening to the tones, there's definitely a bigger gap between the first and second tones compared to the second and third.

I can establish a four count rhythm to the tones. The tones sound - one, ,three, four.

Now, this is on the app with the reaction times built in which, I agree, would need to sound early to establish a 3:1 ratio. John would surely provide much more insight.

Yes - first segment needs to be much longer than second segment by definition, by a factor of 3 in terms of what the video 30 frames per second shows. My query was should that first segment in fact be timed out at only twice as long as the second segment, due to the fact that your Transition Trigger to start the forward swing needs to happen before you finish the backswing shoulder girdle coil, ie in fact, using common definitions, before you finish the backswing, by about 1/8 of a second. The tones are meant to be your mind/body trigger device as to when to start the forward swing, so in order to actually achieve a tour pro like tempo of 3:1 ratio, you would have to set the tones at a 2:1 ratio.

Its a fascinating topic which I will be covering in depth in Module Eight on Tempo, Rhythm, Timing and Sequencing in my Great Shot! video swing instruction series.

Yes - first segment needs to be much longer than second segment by definition, by a factor of 3 in terms of what the video 30 frames per second shows. My query was should that first segment in fact be timed out at only twice as long as the second segment, due to the fact that your Transition Trigger to start the forward swing needs to happen before you finish the backswing shoulder girdle coil, ie in fact, using common definitions, before you finish the backswing, by about 1/8 of a second. The tones are meant to be your mind/body trigger device as to when to start the forward swing, so in order to actually achieve a tour pro like tempo of 3:1 ratio, you would have to set the tones at a 2:1 ratio.

Its a fascinating topic which I will be covering in depth in Module Eight on Tempo, Rhythm, Timing and Sequencing in my Great Shot! video swing instruction series.

Lol. Took me second. My internal metronome wanted to establish a four count creating 3 intervals. With the count of two obviously omitted, would make a 2:1. Very insightful as always, sir.

I think it's been covered before, but I'll reiterate, my understanding is that there is a .2 second delay in both the first and second beeps. The idea is that you shouldn't have to anticipate or rush when you hear the beep, but rather use it as a reminder.

I hit a couple hundred balls to it this morning alternating between listening to the beeps and taking my headphones off. First, I would say I found that I hit more poor shots with the beeps going. There's a certain urgency and then discombobulation when you get out of sync, and I think that encourages your sequencing to go afoul. I think it's important to simply try and ingrain the good swings and work through why you're getting out of tempo. As I've said before, again I found that it brings some of my typical misses out of the woodwork, but that doesn't surprise me.

Some of you may remember me mentioning that I felt I had to speed up the takeaway dramatically. That is pretty ingrained and now I feel I can really slow through transition and actually through the ball a little.

Part of why I was really turned on to the TT app is that I had an epiphany about my takeaway around the same time I go into this thing with tempo and it's pretty much just like the "y" drill. So, if I use the "y" and "L" drills and really focus on getting through the ball with the right speed I seem to hold a perfect amount of lag through the ball and not flip.

I'd guess I'm probably 2 weeks out from it being second nature and really grooved. Probably next week I'll shot a video and try and lay the tempo track over it in real time to see where I am at the moment.

The 2:1 is still working wonders for my speed control with the putter, too. Reaffirmed on the putting green in between the range buckets.

Exceptional stuff!!!

My Best,

Richard

Let me say first that I have never not will I ever speak "for" John. I will only speak from my interpretation of his words and thoughts and if I have any question, and I'm Talking ANY question, I speak to him and clear whatever that question may be up.

So I was on the computer looking under "tempo" and I came across the TT stuff. I saw the clinical stuff however having spent the past 25+ years in surgical suites all over this country and reading, disseminating and teaching surgeons procedures and protocols, I have read every orthopedic study published regarding joint replacement(hip/knee) and one thing I know is, blind, double blind yada, yada yada, that as long as the human being is in the chain, I take ALL studies with a grain of salt, as do your best surgeons, regardless of specialty. If you get a surgeon that hangs on a study to support his medical/surgical decision with you, RUN, not walk, RUN the hell out of his office.

So you can imagine how I felt about some golf "study," LMAO.

I felt no need to read it nor did I until I was out of the game in late 2013, when I was trapped in a bed and bored, lol.

John's stuff made sense, and Pete was huge on Tempo, though he obviously never put a number on it, and even more so, He was worse than Sam regarding "KISS." I saw him dismiss two assts. from interviews, one who flew in from IL to try to work under him, because they couldn't give a lesson without video. The guy who flew in from IL was pissed, hahaha. What a Putz, lol. So I bought the App, the frame counter and off I went. Long story short, I followed his instructions and we started talking and I sent him video and he and his son made a few suggestions and I basically turned back the clock to my mid 90's performances, as Maddie and I kicked A** in BB tourneys and I ended up winning the W Pa Inter-Club MP Championship in my last singles tourney, against a +4.5 former 3-Time Club Champ from Oakmont. Sure, I got lucky and he Played meh and I Played well, however I can still visualize/hear the TT 24/8 music in my head as I walked between shots. I tend to get "quick" when I go sideways. That music kept me front & centered and even keeled.

That is how I came to hear about, try and successfully integrate TT into my swing and John as my Teacher.

It was quite simple-

Just like Tour Tempo.

Yes, the forward swing actually starts with the hips shifting before the club head(hands) starts forward however the hands/club head are much much easier to measure and thus control and change the tempo if necessary. This is why the measurement is the way it is.

I have observed Maddie with a few students, and it is a few, because most do not get into irrelevant esoteric minutia of trying to "sense" or "feel" the EXACT moment when the club stops and changes direction.

WHO GIVES A S***?????

Jim, THIS IS IN NO WAY DIRECTED AT YOU, however, it's like I said to one of Madison's students when he kept circling back to this point, and I'd heard enough and I stood, and asked "Dude, who gives a s***??" seriously, what in God's name does that have to do with applying TT to one's golf swing and swinging to the tones?" Please don't tell me this is how some people learn because I know of no athlete, and I'll include football here, whereby someone had to know something so irrelevant as that "point" at the top, to perform. THIS is why most Ams suck. They get caught up in all this intellectual fat and lose sight of the simple fact that the object is to pick a target, pick a club, swing that club and put the ball on target. That's it.

Ya listen to the tones.

Ya swing to the tones.

It's simple and it works.

The second tone does indeed signal the end of the back swing at which point one should be into their down swing.

I have never gotten into where my body is at any point in my swing, ie., hips, chest, shoulders, arms, hands, and if any of it was out of synch, then I would look at my ball flight divot and if need be, I'd have John take a look at a few videos, though I never had to do that. As far as me thinking about it? Never. I just burnt that 24/8 tempo into my brain and swung to that.

I don't care whereITF my back swing ends, my transition begins or anything in between.

Knowing that has never helped me hit a golf ball.

You tell me what to do, if I believe in you, I do it, I do it a lot, more that 99% do it and I get as good as my ability allows.

It's pretty damn simple to me :)

Again Jim, when I make these statements or ask questions, they are not directed at you. When I'm able to swing again, You and I are going to talk if you'll have me. I really really like your mental approach and I like you as a person. and I'd love to work with you on my mental side because I've got a serious mountain to climb to Play again.

Regarding students having problems with TT, and Maddie can speak to this however it is when they think too much, try to make issues where there are none, and they make it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more complicated than it need be.

It's like some people cannot just do something and NOT THINK ABOUT IT.

JUST DO IT.

And please people, don't tell me that some people are have to learn this way, because if they do indeed have to learn this way, then I'll tell ya two things that you can take to the bank-

1) Their swing and game sucks

2) Their swing and game will ALWAYS suck

I'm not an idiot. Two BSc in Chemistry/Biology and a MSc in Business Administration however my intellect has had very very little to do with my ability to either Play football or hit a golf ball. I found people that I trusted, I listened to them, did what they said the way that they said and worked my a** off(reps).

Most the guys I know that are good at anything, regardless of the arena, did the same thing.

Hey, if someone thinks that John's full of s*** and TT doesn't work, no problems, keep on movin down the road, no blood no foul.

I'm sure that there's a theory/method out there to help ya with your game, lol.

Michael, great post!!

The very best to ya Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

Thanks, Richard for that really great clarification! I agree, a lot of golfers get way too caught up in the technical details. And that the most important piece of any golf instruction is if it actually works, ie helps golfers hit it better. In fact, it might be why John designed the second tone to sound when it does, so that you can use it as a marker and to be a beat "early" ie as you said, already into your forward swing. That would make a lot of sense.

Yes, get well soon and lets talk when you feel up for it.

Cheers,

Jim

Based on this thread, I purchased the app. I am in an office with a wedge, and thus no live ball.

My preliminary experience is that 27/9 feels the most comfortable to me, with 24/8 a little fast. I find that my back swing and transition were pretty much spot on the 27/9 tones, but I had to swing faster to "hit" the third tone. In and of itself, this is probably good for me, because I suffer from lack of aggressiveness through the ball and years of the swing slow mantra have adversely affected me. Getting me to speed up (in balance) is a good thing.

On a side note, I do think the app is over-priced. I do recognize the work that went into it, and I bought it without regrets, but more content for $24.99 would be a good. It is essentially three or four tones in different formats. Of course, if it helps a golf game, it is priceless.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Based on this thread, I purchased the app. I am in an office with a wedge, and thus no live ball.

My preliminary experience is that 27/9 feels the most comfortable to me, with 24/8 a little fast. I find that my back swing and transition were pretty much spot on the 27/9 tones, but I had to swing faster to "hit" the third tone. In and of itself, this is probably good for me, because I suffer from lack of aggressiveness through the ball and years of the swing slow mantra have adversely affected me. Getting me to speed up (in balance) is a good thing.

On a side note, I do think the app is over-priced. I do recognize the work that went into it, and I bought it without regrets, but more content for $24.99 would be a good. It is essentially three or four tones in different formats. Of course, if it helps a golf game, it is priceless.

Hey hankmoody - welcome to the thread!

I've always enjoyed your posts and the tv series' character that I'm assuming is your namesake ;)

I felt a little jaded about the price, too. I think in the early threads I voiced an interest in seeing if there was something else that was simply a 3:1 metronome. As the thread progressed and I realized Mr. Novosel's investment in the process and in making the tones jive with how we process and swing, I have felt better about the investment.

I think the package was a better value with the book, as that's how it was originally packaged. I found a used copy of the book for about 7 bucks although I'm still waiting for it. It would be an improvement if perhaps they let you download the app and then if you wanted to submit a mailing address from a menu button on the app and get a copy of the book.

Anyways, please keep us in the loop as to how it's going. One thing from personal experience I would suggest is to keep trying the different tempos as you work on one. I started off feeling like I needed the slowest tempo in both the full swing and short game tones. Eventually I've landed on the 24:8 in full swing and the 18:9 in the short game. I think for me, I was trying to match my takeaway with the tempo, but it was simply too slow. Then after speeding it up so that it was "on the chart" sort of speak, then I found that my downswing dictated 24:8 as I couldn't slow it down enough to stay in the 27:9. It's pretty intuitive but I think it's important to be willing to change to what feels better.

Probably over did it in pure quantity today. Once again I was alternating between listening to the tones and taking the ear phone out of my ear. Today, I also changed clubs frequently trying to find the right groove throughout the bag. I did get stubborn with an 8 iron for about a hundred balls. :)

I'm much closer to restoring my previous control over ball flight all within the confines of the 3:1 tempo. I can correct most of the mishits on the next swing, but I'm still not where I want to be as far as walking up the ball and hitting the shot I want.

The quality of the best strikes are better IMO. Especially 3 wood of the deck. It was one of those that got me my third eagle lifetime last Friday. So, hopefully I'm headed in the right direction.

Okay-

I played 9 this afternoon, after about 20 minutes of swinging inside no ball. I also listened to the tempo tracks song in the car for about 20 minutes. I think this helps set your internal metronome to the beat. (I'm a musician so I have a learned sense of a pulse and beat.)

Results wise, I played excellently. Now quite possibly I just played well--it was a "lucky" 9--one drive carried a tough FW bunker (on another day it could be in) and yet another stopped 3 feet short of another FW bunker. Stuff like that.

However, I believe there is something to this--for all the reasons stated in this thread. Not the least of which is the positive effect it has on the mental side of things by clearing the mind of chatter/complicated swing thoughts and negativity.

Matt J is spot on; I originally felt the 27/9 was the easiest but I realized that 24/8 was good also, and I'm going with that tempo.

I played by myself and thus the round did not count for USGA purposes, so I was able to play some tempos on a couple of walks up to the ball. As I mentioned above, I guess the first 2/3 of my swing has pretty good tempo (I am often complimented "nice tempo" "smooth swing" etc.) because I am able to hit tones 1 & 2 easily and naturally. I have to zip it to hit tone 3. I believe this is the element that is helping me--both mentally and in accelerating into the ball.

I agree with Richard--anyone trying this should not over complicate it. Swing to the tones naturally and feel the flow.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Matt and Hank, excellent posts!!

Question-

As I've only purchased four items that are on my phone, John's "Total Game" App, which I believe is the one that you guys got, for $24 or $25, and I think that there is a less expensive one with just the tones for like $10-11 and then I got the frame counter for either $1.99 or $2.99, I forget, and then I bought 2 books, John's TT2, the short game putting book and I also got Jim's e-book. The books were phenomenal books that I would highly recommend and I thought the Total Game App is great with the included videos also.

However I haven't purchased anything end so my frame of reference is lacking.

Do you guys consider the "Total Game" App overpriced at $25?

I'm just asking because as I said, I haven't bought enough to say anything. I bemefitted greatly from it and I spent that for 15 minutes time evaluating a Teacher however that is not enyerone's benchmark.

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

The best with the system and I hope that ya both have great seasons :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard

I think it just seems expensive because we're all used to free and/or inexpensive apps for the phone.

When I was headed down this road, I thought that having an auditory signal made the most sense for working on tempo, checked out the app, and thought that 25 bucks seems steep for a metronome in 3:1 time. After realizing the work that went into it I don't mind paying 25 bucks for the app. And, yes, I have the "Tour Tempo."

I'm eagerly awaiting the book I ordered!

I wasn't really interested in looking at this thread until I saw Richard had replied several times. Glad he did, because I was able to update the TT app on my phone from a previous purchase for "free". Looking forward to using it again. Glad to hear it's working for others as well.

Now you know to just look for any thread started by me.

Just kidding. Cool you already have the app. Report back to us after playing around with it, if you don't mind.

I wasn't really interested in looking at this thread until I saw Richard had replied several times. Glad he did, because I was able to update the TT app on my phone from a previous purchase for "free". Looking forward to using it again. Glad to hear it's working for others as well.

Just kidding. Cool you already have the app. Report back to us after playing around with it, if you don't mind.

I haven't touched a club since the 26th and I'm playing a tournament Saturday. Good or bad, I'm not blaming results on TT...but if I ever get a chance to actually practice, I'll definitely try to post back.

I forgot I purchased the app before (years ago, I'm guessing) and I was able to "update it" for "free", so now I have this new version. I like it, but that was sitting on the couch while my toddler ran around the living room and I listened to the tones for a bit. I'm sure it'll be even more useful with a club in my hands.

I haven't touched a club since the 26th and I'm playing a tournament Saturday. Good or bad, I'm not blaming results on TT...but if I ever get a chance to actually practice, I'll definitely try to post back.

I forgot I purchased the app before (years ago, I'm guessing) and I was able to "update it" for "free", so now I have this new version. I like it, but that was sitting on the couch while my toddler ran around the living room and I listened to the tones for a bit. I'm sure it'll be even more useful with a club in my hands.

Hey Sad Trombone: Is there any material covered in the app (or the app update) not in the "Total Game" mp3 download?

LMAO, no Bro, he just knows that I'm a friggin train wreck lookin for a sharp bend, lol.

Have a great day Guys :)

They're letting me go home today so I can bother Maddie on a regular basis.

Hey Sweetie, how bout tonight when ya get in you throw together that chicken penne pasta dish that I love :)

Have a Great day All :)

My Best,

Richard

LMAO, no Bro, he just knows that I'm a friggin train wreck lookin for a sharp bend, lol.

Have a great day Guys :)

They're letting me go hole today so I can bother Maddie on a regular basis.

Hey Sweetie, how bout tonight when ya get in you throw together that chicken penne pasta dish that I love :)

Have a Great day All :)

My Best,

Richard

I'm on my way...

Hey Sad Trombone: Is there any material covered in the app (or the app update) not in the "Total Game" mp3 download?

Wish I could answer that. Right now I'm just listening to the 21/7 voice over and over. I put it on last night at bedtime and have it on again now.

I suppose I should check out the rest of the app... I'll try to check it out today when my boy gets his nap and report back.