Ping Eye 2s, a golf oddity

Those old Ping shafts aren't that stiff. I think that rumor is an urban legend. Most people don't load shafts, any shaft, enough to generate dynamic loft at impact anyway.

Here is some food for thought look at any eye2 you will notice the hosel length it is longer than most and that can lead to a stiffer tip

I regripped a lot of ZZ Lite Pings back in the day, and there was always green magic marker (X-flex) under the tape. Karsten probably soft stepped them, but they left the True Temper factory as X flex shafts.

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those old Ping shafts aren't that stiff. I think that rumor is an urban legend. Most people don't load shafts, any shaft, enough to generate dynamic loft at impact anyway.

Here is some food for thought look at any eye2 you will notice the hosel length it is longer than most and that can lead to a stiffer tip

It would take a rather large increase in insertion depth to affect the flex properties of the shaft.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Could be true, in my now twilight years I have gone to reg flex shafts in my woods. Was hitting stiff Legend 4 shafts in Hogan Apexes. Went back to my Eye 2 becu and can generate more "controlled" speed. Stiff or not karsten had some great engineering ideas.

My father basically gave me his set of PingEye2s back in the late 80s and those were my clubs for years. I ended up buying a PingEye2 Plus black dot set in the late 00s for $150 and gave them back to him, thanking him of course. These are my "modern" clubs as I haven't decided (read: haven't AFFORDED) on what kind of modern, forged-type blade I'd like to replace them with. So I've been playing with vintage, thrift store-found forged blades on the cheap and playing so well with them I can't really justify buying expensive new iron sets to "better" my experience from the old Pings. Sure I'd love some brand new Mizunos, but they're just so damn pricey.

So to your topic, I think it depends on the type of irons you use before you make the switch to the PingEye2. I've been hitting persimmon drivers from the 60s and 70s and blades like the MacGregor DX2s lately as primary equipment for practice and play, and when I grab the "modern" bag with the PingEye2s and a Cleveland Classic 290 with the 460cc driver head, it's like I've lifted weights and I hit the Pings even better, hit the drives freakishly farther.

I still like the Eye2s and to me they're part nostalgia mixed with decent performance. Since I've discovered the vintage blades to work just was well or better, I'm definitely not going to say I don't drink ANY Ping Kool-Aid anymore, but I drool on Ping products less than when I was 12-years-old, that's for sure. I think they're still relevant and fun. Bonus if you have the weird metal variants, BeCu or the nickel. In terms of aesthetics, I love the clean, industrial-design look w/o plastic ferrules, the no paint fill on the face. They age well.

Here's something you don't see every day with the Eye 2. Chrome with Project X Shaft. On sale in Austin on Cragslist:

14kdunl.jpg

nlszt4.jpg

Craigslist Link: http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/5678087485.html

Guy says they have never been hit... something else that's interesting...

Nice to look at. I played Hogan's for quite a few years so I am used to the chrome finish, but I think the Pings look better with a Guyson finish.

I don't know, but those look pretty good to me, but I bet the guy wants a ****load for those so they're probably out of the running. Mind you, I turned tail on a set of Karsten I's for $60 so they'd need to be cheap no matter what the model! Late to the party has always been my byline...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here's something you don't see every day with the Eye 2. Chrome with Project X Shaft. On sale in Austin on Cragslist:

14kdunl.jpg

nlszt4.jpg

Craigslist Link: http://austin.craigs...5678087485.html

Nice to look at. I played Hogan's for quite a few years so I am used to the chrome finish, but I think the Pings look better with a Guyson finish.

Interesting post - yes someone likes polishing.

Personally, I like the dull cast finish on the original Eye2s - it is a purpose-designed industrial looking club, deserving an industrial finish. Polishing it up is kind of like putting chrome on a Sherman tank.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

14kdunl.jpg

nlszt4.jpg

Craigslist Link: http://austin.craigs...5678087485.html

Interesting post - yes someone likes polishing.

Personally, I like the dull cast finish on the original Eye2s - it is a purpose-designed industrial looking club, deserving an industrial finish. Polishing it up is kind of like putting chrome on a Sherman tank.

+1 Ooh, shiny! My eyes! Yeah, no thanks on the gloss. I like the matte style best on these clubs better too. That kind of fresh out of the tumbler look is killer and unique, again, the raw industrial design look without the plastic ferrules is great, very clean and minimal.

I don't know, but those look pretty good to me, but I bet the guy wants a ****load for those so they're probably out of the running. Mind you, I turned tail on a set of Karsten I's for $60 so they'd need to be cheap no matter what the model! Late to the party has always been my byline...

Oh he does... $450...

You may want to look at Play It Again Sports. I found two sets of Eye 2s last weekend. Blue Dot 1-SW Steel for $39 and Orange Dot + 5-SW Lady Graphite $49 for my daughter.

A little elbow grease and re-inking has these looking almost new...

Man - that was a steal!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Man - that was a steal!

Yes it was... wasn't even there looking for clubs but I wasn't passing them up. Just had bought my daughter a set of Nike Irons that morning. When she saw the Eye 2's she wanted them immediately instead... and they were MUCH cheaper so I returned the Nikes. I also got a Series 4 Ping bag for $10 and a stainless Anser 4 for $12. Pretty good haul and my garage can always use two more sets of clubs... lol

I ooze jealousy that I do not live in such a cornucopia of used golf goodness.

11 clubs for $40 is a thrift-store-like $3.63/club.

My word!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I ooze jealousy that I do not live in such a cornucopia of used golf goodness.

11 clubs for $40 is a thrift-store-like $3.63/club.

My word!

Pretty crazy... especially for a club of that quality, even though it is older. The grips were in excellent shape as well, but two were different so I'm gonna change them all to what I normally play.

I've noticed here in Austin that the Play It Again South Store is MUCH more reasonable on clubs than the North store. They had a a set of Eye 2 at the North store that looked like they were used to chop a cord of wood for $129...

In the day when they were new and every man and his dog had a set of eye 2's I never got on the train. I was very happy gaming Cobra Tour Model II and Ram Tour Grinds. The Pings never appealed to me so there was never any thought of getting any.

Many years later and may sets later I got onto a set of BeCu Eye 2+'s to see what all the fuss is about. Gamed them for a heap of games and chopped it up with no consistency. They just didn't work at all for me. During this same faze of gming old classics I shot great rounds with my Cobra Tour Model Ii's, Cobra Mild Steels and 1985 Titleist Tour Models. While doing some tinkering in the club cave I got the urge to put a heap of my sets on my swing weight scales.

The BeCU's were near 3 swing weights lighter than all my other sets I strike it well and consistent with so that may just explain why I couldn't get them to work for me. At some stage I'll have a play and get the weight up and see how they go.

In the day when they were new and every man and his dog had a set of eye 2's I never got on the train. I was very happy gaming Cobra Tour Model II and Ram Tour Grinds. The Pings never appealed to me so there was never any thought of getting any.

Many years later and may sets later I got onto a set of BeCu Eye 2+'s to see what all the fuss is about. Gamed them for a heap of games and chopped it up with no consistency. They just didn't work at all for me. During this same faze of gming old classics I shot great rounds with my Cobra Tour Model Ii's, Cobra Mild Steels and 1985 Titleist Tour Models. While doing some tinkering in the club cave I got the urge to put a heap of my sets on my swing weight scales.

The BeCU's were near 3 swing weights lighter than all my other sets I strike it well and consistent with so that may just explain why I couldn't get them to work for me. At some stage I'll have a play and get the weight up and see how they go.

I know what you mean about tinkering, I love tinkering with clubs. At present time the eye 2s I just found and bought are gripless (had horrid lampkin coastline on yuck!), and I found out they are an inch longer than standard so that's getting sorted out in my garage! But I love reading the old faldo stories about his tinkering of clubs, it's proper old school classic golf!

I know what you mean about tinkering, I love tinkering with clubs. At present time the eye 2s I just found and bought are gripless (had horrid lampkin coastline on yuck!), and I found out they are an inch longer than standard so that's getting sorted out in my garage! But I love reading the old faldo stories about his tinkering of clubs, it's proper old school classic golf!

??

Figured why not try them for $50! I offered him $50 and he took it for 9 shafts. 3-SW. I'll see how they pan out.

Man - that was a steal!

Yes it was... wasn't even there looking for clubs but I wasn't passing them up. Just had bought my daughter a set of Nike Irons that morning. When she saw the Eye 2's she wanted them immediately instead... and they were MUCH cheaper so I returned the Nikes. I also got a Series 4 Ping bag for $10 and a stainless Anser 4 for $12. Pretty good haul and my garage can always use two more sets of clubs... lol

So after cleaning these up, I re-grooved them, re-inked them and re-gripped them. Took my daughter out to the local par 3 to hit them. REALLY impressed...

Never been hit? Classic eye 2,s lol

Maybe he means never been hit since the refirb. It appears they have been polished on a buffing wheel and the cavity bead blasted. They do look pretty sharp though. I saw some becu ones done up like that. They looked too perdy to hit. Lol

You are probably right. I polished up a set for a guy about 10 years ago with red jewler's rouge and a fabric wheel mounted on a bench grinder. He paid me $15 per club to do them. they looked as good as those. Never figured that guy out I think he had them in some tour player's bag in his man cave.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I bought a new set of Eye 2, BeCu when they came out. I played them until 1998 when I sold them to a close friend who wanted them really bad. The were the most consistent irons I have ever owned (and I have owned very many). I played with some other irons for a few years and then decided to get another set of Eye 2, BeCu, I went through several sets but they never measured up to the originals. I was going to buy the original set but my friend died of cancer and I didn't have the heart to ask his son to sell them back.