AP2? Psi tours? MP5's? Opinion, reviews?

Ti-Cip

I have been testing these 3 sets of clubs and am still just so confused with which set I should commit too. briefly, the 716 AP2 have DG AMT TI s400, the Psi tours have Nippon modus tour 130 and the MP 5 have s300's.

I have not been on any sort of launch monitors so I can't figure out if one set is longer than the other, or any other pertinent data exists between them.

so I am asking here if anybody can add their experience.

thx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mp5 weaker lofts flatter lie

Ap2 stronger lofts more upright

Psi stronger lofts more upright hotter faces

Are you asking for suggestions?

What loft wedges do you play? What are the set make ups? 3-pw? What loft hybrids or woods do you play and yardage of most lofted wood or hybrid and distance of least lofted wedge?

Jdm sldr Matrix 3 wood shaft
Jdm slur 3 wood speeder 661

Ping isi beni 1 iron

Mizuno mp5 3-9

cleveland rtx 2.0 50 54 60

Ping Scottsdale beni putter

I've played all three. I loved the mp5s but traded them for z945s.

Ap2 716 is nothing special over the 714.

The psi tours are surprisingly awesome. I hadn't bagged tms since the 05 tp but I really do love these. Not quite the green stick of the mp5s, but easily comparable, and better imo, than the 716.

I hit the ap2 and mp5 in the bay the other day, and just liked the mp5 better- I had better results all around and the feel is superb. I picked up a set of mp5s off BST last week and have 2 rounds with them. Best iron play I've had this year, very surprising.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I've played all three. I loved the mp5s but traded them for z945s.

Ap2 716 is nothing special over the 714.

The psi tours are surprisingly awesome. I hadn't bagged tms since the 05 tp but I really do love these. Not quite the green stick of the mp5s, but easily comparable, and better imo, than the 716.

i am leaning towards agreeing with you on your assessment.

okay so I jumped the gun on lofts still the mp5's are slightly shorter shaft length and flatter lie stock the rsi have hotter faces for more distance the ap2's have extreme heel and toe weighting for there spin on players forgiveness.

If it matters I put an order in for mp5's and think they are the sexiest irons on the market.

Jdm sldr Matrix 3 wood shaft
Jdm slur 3 wood speeder 661

Ping isi beni 1 iron

Mizuno mp5 3-9

cleveland rtx 2.0 50 54 60

Ping Scottsdale beni putter

I have been testing these 3 sets of clubs and am just so confused with which set I should commit too. briefly, the 716 AP2 have DG AMT TI s400, the Psi tours have Nippon modus tour 130 and the MP 5 have s300's.

I have not been on any sort of launch monitors so I can't figure out if one set is longer than the other, or any other pertinent data exists between them.

thx

never played any of these irons so I've not gonna blab on and on about each of them (they are all excellent BTW).

never been a believer that 'longer' takes top priority and believe 'launch monitor data' is merely good for originally demonstrating clubs. bottom line, there comes a point when it's time to just play golf....

so I'll answer a question with a question... which set are you hitting the most shots with right on the number you're trying to achieve and with the most accuracy?

Get RSI TPS and save a couple hundred.

had rss top's last year and felt they were awful in feel.. just god awful!!!!!

Are the PSI an improvement in feel? I agree there is a bit of a thud to the RSI but outside of that they perform very well for me.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

I have been testing these 3 sets of clubs and am still just so confused with which set I should commit too. briefly, the 716 AP2 have DG AMT TI s400, the Psi tours have Nippon modus tour 130 and the MP 5 have s300's.

thx

They will all go the same distance if fit similarly. Distance should not be your concern. It should be which head can you comfortably hit and still like the looks of. If you've never played blades i'd suggest staying away from the 5's. Once you select the head then get fit for the shaft. Any of these can be ordered with the shaft that best fits your swing. If you hit the ball high i'd look at s300s. If you hit it low i'd consider a KBS tour or project x flighted.

If you thought the rsi tp felt awful, you may not like the feel of the psi then. It is very similar (I've only hit rsi tp off mats though). Considering the mp5 is the most beautiful iron ever made, and they have that intoxicating feel, I think you have your answer. The mp5s felt better than the psi tours, no question. It really depends on what you want, the lofts on the psi tours are players lofts, i.e 34 degree 7 iron, 46 degree pw, etc...

If I were you, I'd either buy a set of 714 ap2s, or just buy the mp5 and spend the next 2 weeks staring at them. You comment about the rsi tp makes me believe you won't like the psi tours.

Ps-don't be afraid of the mp5. Its probably the easiest blade to hit since the vip 1025 (I say blade but it's not....it's a channel back)

Regarding shafts....I'm going to capitalize this in the hope that you understand...GET FIT BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY R DOING.

It won't matter what head you choose if your shaft isn't right. You will not believe the impact the correct shaft has on everything pertaining to your game. Obviously, most people can make a shaft work, but it sounds like u really want a set that fits you and that you've put thought into, spend the same time you've thought about which head you want on what shaft you'll play....it'll pay dividends for years

If you thought the rsi tp felt awful, you may not like the feel of the psi then. It is very similar (I've only hit rsi tp off mats though). Considering the mp5 is the most beautiful iron ever made, and they have that intoxicating feel, I think you have your answer. The mp5s felt better than the psi tours, no question. It really depends on what you want, the lofts on the psi tours are players lofts, i.e 34 degree 7 iron, 46 degree pw, etc...

If I were you, I'd either buy a set of 714 ap2s, or just buy the mp5 and spend the next 2 weeks staring at them. You comment about the rsi tp makes me believe you won't like the psi tours.

Ps-don't be afraid of the mp5. Its probably the easiest blade to hit since the vip 1025 (I say blade but it's not....it's a channel back)

I second the comments on the Rsi TPs horrid feel. Actually traded my Rsi tps today for a mint set of 2014 ap2s. We met at a grass driving range and i was able to hit the ap2s against my mp5/ie1s/ z745s/ Fourteen tc-910s/ Mp MP63s. Cobra s3 pro cbs. I keep all the clubs in the trunk and just pull out a few at a time to not look like to much of an idiot. . I have had a few sets of the 2014 ap2s and these with the s300s were very accurate. Its funny how the same heads can play different depending on the shaft choice.

Back is a little tight so was mostly hitting all the wedges then all the 9s then all the 8s of all the sets listed above , today the 2014 ap2s had the tightest dispersion, nice high ball flight and fairly soft feel. I love the look of the 2014 ap2s,very classy iron. I hit a few balls with the 567 as well i'm no Jordon spieth but hit a few good shots. Time for some course testing.

Sir Edward is bang on about the MP-5s easier to hit than they look.

i agree about getting fit to some degree. for me though , i've tried A LOT!! so , i don't think there a magical shaft out there i haven't tried that is gonna make a night and day difference. i do have the mp5's with dgs300, and really no problem using them, yes out of the 3 sets, they are the least forgiving, but i still shoot the same scores pretty much with all 3. ( i.e., 74-79) the apps are the most forgiving for sure!! i really like the nippon shafts in the psi tours. so i think i may just order some nippon shafts and resift the mp5's to them

If I were you, I'd save some money and go with the Mizuno MP-4's. Cleanest looking blade on the market still!

[font=georgia,serif][size=3][font=times new roman,times,serif]​TaylorMade R9 460 (8.75) Diamana 'ahina 70X
TaylorMade R9 (16) Aldila RIP Alpha 70X
Mizuno MP-30 (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S300
Callaway MD2 (52S/58C) Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland Classic #6 (34in/350g) Winn AVS[/font][/size][/font]