2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Is anyone using the Vivoactive HR?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't help much about the HR but i use the original vivoactive as a workout/golf watch and think its great.

Battery lasts really well, screen easy to read in all conditions and good catalogue of courses supported. The gps information is a pretty simple front/middle/back plus some layups and doglegs but if you have the course guide in your pocket then thats all you need.

• 4 months later...

So I picked up one of these recently from Craigslist. It's exactly what I wanted from a watch. Just enough info I need on the course, and plenty of other great features. Here's a recap from my weekend using it.

So, there are 3-4 screens you can swipe through while playing. The first face is just the hole number, par for the hole, and distances to Front, Center, and Back of the green. Pretty standard stuff, and basically the only thing I need 90% of the time.

JU0dyfyl.jpg

The second screen shows you layups to main distances. 200, 150, 100, etc. Also lets you know distances to doglegs. This screen I didn't really care too much about. I don't play smart. I hit the ball as far as I can every time. If I'm on a par 5, I hit as much club as I have. I never layup to specific distances.

Rp4lGWbl.jpg

The 3rd screen shows you how many steps you've taken, how many miles you've walked, and an ongoing timer so you know what pace you're playing at. I didn't take a photo of this, but it's pretty cool info.

The 4th, and final screen is an overhead view of the green shape. Really not TOO informational. It shows you the shape, as well as the points it measure the front/back distances from. I also didn't take a photo of that screen.

There are a few other things you can do while playing. You can keep score. I've seen reviews and videos of people saying it takes too much time and it's too difficult, but I couldn't disagree more. It's super easy. When you turn on the scorekeeping, the watch automatically knows when you're on the green and will switch over to allow you to enter your score. No extra buttons needed, it just happens on it's own.

Vh3Ltu8l.jpg

Hole number, par, and then plus and minus to adjust your score. It's that simple.

It also calculates distance for shots...err...kinda. Basically when you hit a shot, you can press a button to start recording distance. Then you walk/ride to your ball, and it updates and calculates distance as you go.

EWN7XZz.gif

The distances seem pretty darn accurate. I recently also purchased Golfshot Pro, and the distances were very close. My ball was right at the 150 marker in the fairway.

rLWJxu4l.jpg

AGbFzSWl.png

It was very easy to view in all types of lighting. Indoor, sunlight, cloud cover. The battery lasts pretty long too. I started the round off at 63% battery, and when I ended I was at 29%. So a 34% drain, while walking a 4 hour, 15 minute round? Not to mention the display never shuts off. It's constantly on, and constantly updating in live time. It even pushes notifications from my phone to it, so I can still read any texts coming through.

Once off the course, you can set the watch up to display your most recent round as one of it's widgets. Two screens, one displays the name of the course, your score, etc. The other shows you amounts of birdies/pars/bogies/doubles.

Pretty bad round for myself, but it was my first time on the course and the greens were still rock hard from cold temperatures.

BoUUHYAl.jpg

There is an app for your phone that pairs with the watch, and has lots of info. This is what the golf section looks like.

QVCVnXcl.jpg

So yeah! I absolutely love this watch. I'm a very small guy, and this doesn't feel too big or bulky on my wrist. Not even with long sleeves and a glove. It's battery is great, and there are so many functions outside of golfing it can do. The ONE gripe I have, is that I wish it would display distances to hazards. Let me know how far to reach and carry traps and water. Then it would be a 100% perfect watch.

Here's a few pictures. I didn't have a quarter to use for scale, so I used a nickel.

Eu4Bo1r.jpg

Z7yMzTo.jpg

A7vyPB3.jpg

The specs via Garmin's website says the display is: 0.80" x 1.13" (20.7mm x 28.mm)

@North Butte, I'm not seeing a G20 from Garmin. I'm seeing the S20 watch, and the G10 handheld. The S20 watch is 0.9"x0.9" (23 x 23mm) and the G10 handheld is the same. So this Vivoactive is narrower but taller.

jacobEDGE

Thanks for the info/pics. Been wondering about this watch too. Am also looking for a simple GPS (even looking a the Bushnell Neo Ghost) for golf & running like the OP states. I'm not a watch person, but nothing will stop me from just attaching it to a bag I guess.

Titleist 910D2 Kali'i Stiff 10.5
4-Wood: TM Superfast 2.0 Stiff 16.5 deg
Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual Reg 19 & 23
Ping G25 5-U KBS Tour Reg
Wedges: 588 forged 56 & 60
Odyssey 2ball SRT (from Costco

jacobEDGE

Thanks for the info/pics. Been wondering about this watch too. Am also looking for a simple GPS (even looking a the Bushnell Neo Ghost) for golf & running like the OP states. I'm not a watch person, but nothing will stop me from just attaching it to a bag I guess.

If you're going to want something for running, aren't you going to need it for your wrist? You're not going to get good activity data for running with it in your pocket (if that's what you were thinking.) If you want a dual device for golf and fitness, then you have to give the Garmin X40 a look.

jacobEDGE

If you're going to want something for running, aren't you going to need it for your wrist? You're not going to get good activity data for running with it in your pocket (if that's what you were thinking.) If you want a dual device for golf and fitness, then you have to give the Garmin X40 a look.

Sorry for confusion, but yeah, Neo Ghost if I just decided to go for golf-only GPS. Thanks for tip on X40. Initially thought it only was a step/HR tracker, but I *think* syncing it to smartphone may give more info for running (eg pace). I like that it appears smaller than the VivosmartHR. Thanks again for heads-up, as I'll be looking into this in addition to the Vivosmart now.

Titleist 910D2 Kali'i Stiff 10.5
4-Wood: TM Superfast 2.0 Stiff 16.5 deg
Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual Reg 19 & 23
Ping G25 5-U KBS Tour Reg
Wedges: 588 forged 56 & 60
Odyssey 2ball SRT (from Costco

I just got one. I got for $153 at Target. What a watch for that $$. I played 9 with it and used my laser v2 with it. Very accurate. Great battery. Also text notifications on watch so I never have to check phone during round for texts from wife. Not to mention it is a great training watch. This thing is loaded with features. Also completely waterproof. I never take it off.

Ping Hoofer bag
Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
Adams V4 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
Pro V1x

• 8 months later...

So I hadn't thought about updating this thread with what's been going on with my vivoactive HR, but I thought I should. A couple of months ago it started having trouble loading courses and the GPS adjusting to my location. It just stay on tee shot distances the whole entire hole.

The running GPS works fine. So I deleted all my courses and reloaded them. Still had the problem. Ended contacting Garmin and they recommended a factory reset to the device.

It still has issues loading the course to the watch from my phone, it seems to work fine if I only have one course on my phone at a time. So I'll see how it works from here.

So I hadn't thought about updating this thread with what's been going on with my vivoactive HR, but I thought I should. A couple of months ago it started having trouble loading courses and the GPS adjusting to my location. It just stay on tee shot distances the whole entire hole.

The running GPS works fine. So I deleted all my courses and reloaded them. Still had the problem. Ended contacting Garmin and they recommended a factory reset to the device.

It still has issues loading the course to the watch from my phone, it seems to work fine if I only have one course on my phone at a time. So I'll see how it works from here.

Why not ask Garmin to replace it? 1 year warranty.