Odd question: selling gear in Scotland after trip there

I'm going to Scotland for 3 weeks and would like to bring back gifts for myself and others, and my bags would be overweight if I do....

Sooooo.....is there any chance of selling my clubs to a local store at the end of my trip? I'm bringing clubs that duplicate what I've got here, so I don't need them upon my return and thought of just selling them there.

Any ideas?

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Scotland for 3 weeks and would like to bring back gifts for myself and others, and my bags would be overweight if I do....

Sooooo.....is there any chance of selling my clubs to a local store at the end of my trip? I'm bringing clubs that duplicate what I've got here, so I don't need them upon my return and thought of just selling them there.

Any ideas?

Most places are only going to be interested in part exchange, I think, though you might be able to get rid of them in a proshop if you were prepared to accept a real knock down price.

If you are going to be in the West of Scotland, Affordable Golf has stores in Glasgow and East Kilbride.They would certainly buy them.

You might also enquire of Golfbidder (www.golfbidder.co.uk). They would quote and all you would need to do, in theory, would be to get the clubs boxed and dropped of at a UPS pick up point (of which there are many). The logistics might prove difficult though and I'm not sure that they would make payment to your credit card. A cheque made out to you in pounds sterling is going to be complicated to cash in North America.

Only other thing I can think of is using a pawn broker but they are likely to be easily found only in the cities and I've no idea what kind of deal you would get.

Where are you going to visit when you're over here?

I figure it's costing you probably $400-$500 a day, all in, to be in Scotland to play golf. Why blow at least a couple hours and maybe more trying to arrange some sort of used-club sale at a knockdown price? When I'm over there on golf trips I like to enjoy every minute possible.

Easiest way to deal with it is either a) just pay the overweight fee on the return trip or b) carry a spare duffel bag, stuff the excess into it and pay to check it as an extra bag. Whichever of those options is cheaper (keeping in mind it's only one direction) will probably cost you the same or less than you'd be losing by trying to sell your clubs cheap.

[EDIT] Just went and took a quick Google look at prices for a 3rd bag on international trips. Yikes! I guess if you already have golf clubs as one bag and suitcase at the second you'd almost be better off leaving even a set of PXG's behind than paying for a third bag on some airlines...

Any ideas?

I've just spotted your posts on the Driving in Scotland thread. If you are flying out of Glasgow on the way home Affordable Golf would be your best bet I'm sure.

http://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/cash-clubs/

Thanks for your replies....

1st week: Glasgow area, (2 rounds in Ayr) + drive tours south and east, and north through the highlands by Fort William on the way to Aviemore.

2nd weekend: Aviemore, no golf but drive tours to the west coast and around the lakes, but when I leave for Golspie, Monday AM round at Boat of Garten, and and afternoon round at Golspie/Brora

2nd week: Golspie, golf at Golspie/Brora, Tain, + a trip to Durness and a round on the cliffs up there

Heading south to Doune, I plan to play Lossiemouth or another area course on the way.

3rd weekend: Doune, no golf...Jazz/blues festival in Callander (relax time and to get recommendations where to go for music in Edinburgh/Glasgow the next/final week.

3rd week: Doune, rounds at Dundonald, Braid Hills, Aberdour + another perhaps on the east coast

4th weekend: St. Andrews, for a Sunday walk on the Old Course...perhaps a round on a nearby course

Last day, leave from Glasgow.

I may not play all these, as I love traveling, hiking and taking photos....but there seems plenty of time after/before a round to enjoy the area off the course, and of course, a week to enjoy Glasgow/Edinburgh nights.

Again, thanks for your ideas....

TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks for your replies....

1st week: Glasgow area, (2 rounds in Ayr) + drive tours south and east, and north through the highlands by Fort William on the way to Aviemore.

2nd weekend: Aviemore, no golf but drive tours to the west coast and around the lakes, but when I leave for Golspie, Monday AM round at Boat of Garten, and and afternoon round at Golspie/Brora

2nd week: Golspie, golf at Golspie/Brora, Tain, + a trip to Durness and a round on the cliffs up there

Heading south to Doune, I plan to play Lossiemouth or another area course on the way.

3rd weekend: Doune, no golf...Jazz/blues festival in Callander (relax time and to get recommendations where to go for music in Edinburgh/Glasgow the next/final week.

3rd week: Doune, rounds at Dundonald, Braid Hills, Aberdour + another perhaps on the east coast

4th weekend: St. Andrews, for a Sunday walk on the Old Course...perhaps a round on a nearby course

Last day, leave from Glasgow.

I may not play all these, as I love traveling, hiking and taking photos....but there seems plenty of time after/before a round to enjoy the area off the course, and of course, a week to enjoy Glasgow/Edinburgh nights.

Again, thanks for your ideas....

The distances between your various destinations may demand more driving time than you anticipate. We're not talking interstates here. In fact, if you are just drifting, and you might enjoy that, you may find yourself on single track roads with passing places (and sheep as,relatively, immovable obstructions).

But, and here's the point, you can't go to Easter Ross and play Golspie, Tain and Brora, all of which are great and not play Royal Dornoch. It is arguably one of the 5 (or do I mean 3?) best courses in Scotland. I have played all the Scottish Open venues bar Muirfield, as well as Royal Aberdeen, Trump and Cruden Bay (which is hugely over-rated) and I would say without a shadow of a doubt that if I were able to play only one more track in my life it would be Dornoch.

I truly LOVE me some Brora while I'd say my feelings for Royal Dornoch are more like admiration. Given the chance to play either of them just once I'd choose Dornoch every time, though. It is a thoroughly excellent course in almost every way.

One day I'll make it back up to the Highlands (fingers crossed) and I may try to play Brora 3, 4, 5 times if I'm around long enough. But I would definitely play a round or two at Dornoch for sure. It'll beat you up if you're not on your game (or if the wind is howling...gorse everywhere!) but when you string together a few pars in a row with those hard-to-hit, harder-to-hold greens it's exhilarating.

Brora is the opposite. It's an excellent course but after 36 holes there I would have gladly gone around a third time if daylight and my aching feet had allowed. Excellent holes, great routing and just a brilliant spot to spend the day, first time I walked onto the course I felt like I had been waiting to get there for all my life.

P.S. As for Golspie, I enjoyed playing there and if its neighbors were not Royal Dornoch and Brora it would seem like an outstanding course. But it can't quite be ranked with the other two by any means.

Shrink:

I'm not planning on doing anything between Hamilton and Aviemore other than driving. I've used Google maps to estimate drive times, adding an hour or two...I've driven in Japan for years and know what it's like to be on 2-lane roadways for hours....

I can't check in at the BnBs until 6pm-ish and plan on leaving the previous BnB @ 7AM, giving me 11 hours of drive/sightseeing time...or the rounds of golf as indicated.

Okay....I'll give Dornoch (the championship course) serious consideration....thanks....really....that area is of course the home of Donald Ross who has a major road named for him here in Palm Beach County...so it'll be a nice feeling to be there.

TM Spider 72M

Shrink:

I'm not planning on doing anything between Hamilton and Aviemore other than driving. I've used Google maps to estimate drive times, adding an hour or two...I've driven in Japan for years and know what it's like to be on 2-lane roadways for hours....

I can't check in at the BnBs until 6pm-ish and plan on leaving the previous BnB @ 7AM, giving me 11 hours of drive/sightseeing time...or the rounds of golf as indicated.

Okay....I'll give Dornoch (the championship course) serious consideration....thanks....really....that area is of course the home of Donald Ross who has a major road named for him here in Palm Beach County...so it'll be a nice feeling to be there.

Why you in Hamilton? Better places to base yourself. I live in Hamilton, if you need advice, local info etc, just ask.

Thanks Stall....I'm amazed how many Scots are on this board and helpful neighbors to where I'm going....

I like to drive in unknown areas (Japan was really fun) and like a rally car navigator, I plan routes in my head before I get there. I don't mind getting lost but I try to find "base camps" from where I'd have access to the most distant areas.

Just got my Collins Scotland Road Atlas in the mail today!

Why Hamilton....?

Hamilton seemed a good place to avoid traffic to the west coast (A723 to A71 to Prestwick/Troon munis, and Girvan where I think I'll be playing) and to get south on M74 for sightseeing. Hamilton seemed good for easy access to Glasgow and just an hour to Edinburgh's Braid Hills Golf Course. And found a nice AirBnB spot there.

Funny thing....in doing my Google mapping to get there from Paisley, I found a driving range and golf shop (Back Hit) that sells used clubs 5 minutes from the AirBnB, Strathclyde Park Golf Center. I'll stop by Affordable Golf on my way from the airport and then have an idea of prices that Back Hit might offer. I'm not looking for any more than 50% of what they're for in Scotland based on what I see on the web.

Again, thanks for your offered help.

TM Spider 72M

Backhit golf is the internet arm of Strathclyde Park golf range. Its a good range with good quality stuff. Real premium stuff too that you wont get much of in Direct golf.

I dont want to do my town a disservice, its my town after all but its really just a big commuter town 12 miles from glasgow, 4 train services an hour.

My suggestion would be find a guest house/hotel in Ayrshire for those rounds. Spend a few nights in or around both Glasgow and Edinburgh rather than my town.

Also, unless you have relatives/friends in south Scotland, scratch it off. All sights are north. 15miles north of Glasgow you have beautiful loch lomond and trossachs national park and the edge of the Highlands. Spend a night in the Oak Tree Inn Balmaha on banks of loch lomond, proper Scotland feeling a million miles from big cities but only 20 mins drive from Glasgow.

Oh and to get to Prestwick from hamilton, go M77. Much quicker

Thanks Stall...M77 it is then...I'm a long-haul driver and don't mind slow back-roads when on vacation...more to see on 'blue highways'. The Hamilton Airbnb was cheap beCAUSE it's just a 'bedroom' community, and I'm out and about by 7 and so don't need or wish for hotel amenities that only delay/distract from the travels...I've never used AirBnB, and thought I'd give it a try...can't beat the prices at least.

At the very least though, we should get together for a pint at your favorite pub after I flail around Ayr to share my "series of unfortunate events." I am prepared for the weather at least.

The music festival in Callander is just a 9 iron shot from The Trossachs where I'll catch sunrises before settling back to the music, and Aviemore is my base for traveling around the central highlands before heading to Golspie and beyond. From Doune, my last base, I can reach nearly everywhere in central Scotland in 2 hours, east to St. Andrews, west to Oban.

Scratching Scotland south of Girvan from the trip will give me an extra day to head east to golf by day and dine in Edinburgh at night. Getting thirsty just thinking about it.

TM Spider 72M

Layers upon layers....and scotch over ice cream...

TM Spider 72M

• 3 weeks later...

You could try Gumtree to sell your gear on... similar to Craigs List in America. Should get a quick sale. Alternatively there are some good groups on Facebook where a lot of uk guys sell their stuff one in particular is GOLF CLUBS FOR SALE/WANTED UK

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

Thank you Erik.....I'll definitely look into that...and be prepared with photos of the gear on the net ready to post...I'll be based Doune for 10 days and could easily meet someone interested...

TM Spider 72M

Stall....PM sent.

TM Spider 72M