2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

BREAKING NEWS - Michelle Wie

Gdmichael

Michelle Wie withdraws from the John Deere
Wie pulls out of the 2007 John Deere

Michelle Wie is still teeing it up in the U.S. Women's Open next week but will pass on playing against the men next month in Illinois

sirak_webcolumn.gif

GolfDigest.com
June 19, 2007

Common sense is exactly that. It's the sense that comes from the activities we all have in common. Real knowledge comes from such experience. Everything else is merely information. And the experiences Michelle Wie has had on the golf course for nearly a year now have been so humiliating, and the reaction to her withdrawal at the Ginn Tribute and then so overwhelmingly negative, that the Wie camp has realized the sensible thing to do is to stop playing against the men -- at least for now.

Wie, who returns to competition next week at the U.S. Women's Open at the Pine Needles Resort in North Carolina, announced Tuesday she has decided not to play in the John Deere Classic on the PGA Tour next month. She had already been extended and accepted a sponsor's invitation into the Deere for the third consecutive year. In 2005, she missed making the cut by two strokes. Last year, she withdrew after 27 holes because of heat exhaustion while well out of contention for playing the weekend. It's the wisest decision to come out of the Wie camp in a long time.

Michelle says her injured left wrist is still not back to full strength and says it would be unwise to take on the best players in the world while not at 100 percent. That might not be a bad thought for her to hold onto for a little while even after her strength returns. She is so young and has so much talent it seems to be so unwise to continue to let her pile up bad memories -- bad experiences -- that are clearly eroding her confidence.

Wie had a perfect storm going on during those two dreadful weeks on the LPGA Tour. She was hit with the triple whammy: She was injured, her swing was so out of whack it was hard to imagine Tom Lehman once called her the Big Wiesy for her Ernie Els-like tempo, and emotionally her gas tank was clearly on empty. Her withdrawal with two holes to play in the first round at the Ginn -- citing injury -- angered players who felt she pulled out to avoid disqualification for the year in LPGA Tour events for failing to break 88 in a tournament round.

That anger -- which was roiling even before the Ginn tournament started because Wie had been at the RiverTowne Country Club course for a week preparing, something LPGA members are barred by rule from doing but she is not because she has not joined the tour, was compounded when the players found out two days after Wie withdrew she was beating balls at Bulle Rock -- site of the McDonald's -- while everyone else was grinding it out in the Ginn. When Wie then said she felt she had nothing to apologize for, her political capital was pretty well spent. The players, public and media who had once regarded her as a 14-year-old darling turned on a dime and viewed her as an ungrateful, underperforming kid with $20 million in endorsement deals.

Pulling out of the Deere was the best thing the Wies could do, public-relations-wise. The decision not only spares Michelle the potential embarrassment of posting a large number on the 7,200-yard TPC Deere Run course -- she shot an 83 in the third round of the McDonald's on a course 700 yards shorter -- but it also lets the tournament sponsors and the PGA Tour out of the politically difficult situation of having to explain why Wie continues to get invitations when she has averaged 78.6 in her last five men's events.

A defense of giving Wie a free pass into the Deere becomes especially difficult for the PGA Tour when it is hyping the first year of the FedEx Cup, and its points race, and then denies a spot in a tour event to a potential qualifier for the playoffs in favor of a 17-year-old girl who is out of her league against the best players in the world. It may be too conspiratorial to think the tour and Deere were working behind the scenes to get Wie to pull out -- no doubt offering an invitation somewhere down the road -- but there is no question both the tour and the tractor-makers are breathing a sigh of relief.

The Wie saga began its downward spiral midway through the final round of the 2006 Evian Masters in France. Michelle stepped onto the 12th tee with two-stroke lead and appeared on the way to her first LPGA victory -- and only win since the 2003 Women's Public Links. But Karrie Webb, playing with Wie, laid three birdies on the kid in six holes to take the title, giving a common-sense lesson on what it takes to close out a tournament. Michelle has not broken par in any competitive event since then -- a total of eight events and 21 rounds.

Wie enters Stanford University in September, and it seems like attending such a demanding college gives the Wie family a chance to put its strategy of playing against the men on the back burner until after college, when Michelle will still only be 21 years old. Stanford provides a graceful exit strategy that alters the game plan without admitted the plan didn't work -- and worse, one that was apparently detrimental to the development of Wie's game.

Unfortunately, this exchange during an interview with Michelle after the McDonald's tournament -- where she finished 35 strokes behind winner Suzann Pettersen and 10 strokes out of next to the last place, was not encouraging.

Q. How much do you look forward to college?
MICHELLE WIE: A lot actually. I think it's going to be so much fun. High school is more like a mandatory thing. You have to go to high school. I have to wake up at 7:30. But college, you know, you can make your own schedule. You can learn whatever you want. You know I'm just really excited. I'm going to be dorming next year, so I just turned in my housing application on Friday. So I'm just really excited.

Q. Will you scale back your playing once you start school?
MICHELLE WIE: No. I think that high school was a full time thing for me and I think college like I said high school is more of a mandatory education system where I had to be there. I was only allowed to miss two weeks a semester. College is, I'm paying my money to go there, and I think that I'm just going to study a lot in my off season and play a lot of golf. I think hopefully it will be a good balance. We'll see when I get there. But I'm definitely not taking more time off. I'm going to play more.
Makes you wonder exactly how the admissions folks at Stanford felt when they learned it was going to be easier to compete while attending their prestigious institution that is was while Wie was in high school. If memory serves, college is harder than high school -- if you want to stay in college. But that is one of those things you only learn by experience. It is common sense, something that has been in short supply in the Wie camp recently. The decision to pull out of the John Deere Classic is the first glimmer of hope that some better decisions will be made down the road.

Ron Sirak is the Executive Editor of Golf World magazine

Do you have a question or comment for Ron? Send your inquiries to [email protected] with the word "Sirak" in the subject

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally.

However, worrying attitude about being free to do what she wants at Stanford because she's paying to be there.

She should can William Morris and get IMG on board asap.

"College is, I'm paying my money to go there, and I think that I'm just going to study a lot in my off season and play a lot of golf".

I saw that and I thought "oh, oh..."

She is going to last a semester at college - her professors are not going to see eye to eye with her on this point.

I'm just hoping that the staff at Stanford don't coddle her like the LPGA/PGA/Sports Media have.

Truth be told, up to this point, the media and tour have been Wei's enablers in this foray into golf mediocrity, they've helped to bloat her ego years ago without any real proof she was the second coming, and then her parents ran with this hoping to get her a big pay day.

In the end, I don't blame Michelle in this, she has immense natural talent and is probably a great kid, but her parents and media handlers put her in such a rough spot, that nothing less than 2 major wins in 1 year and making the cut against the men, would satisfy the expectations.

If Earl Woods (who wasn't always perfect) is the example of how to properly handle a young phenom, BJ Wei is the Anti-Earl Woods, an example of how to destroy a young talent and any good image she may of had.

The smart move for Michelle at this point would be to withdraw from the public eye for a bit, show some humility, apologize to Annika and the Tour for her actions at The Ginn, and just not play for a season to let the world forget about her and try to regain her health and confidence, and remember what made golf so much fun. That would be the smart move, but I doubt her parents or her handlers would let this happen.

Michelle tells it all if you look into what she is saying:

I registered for housing, I am going to be dorming it: Ok, this confirms to me that she is not going to be there a whole bunch. I can not see a 20 million dollar professional athelete staying in the dorms! She'll blend right in! and before you guys start with the she'll be just like the other rich kids stuff, na, she earned it, not her parents cash, they live off campus, in 3 bedroom condos. WTF, now that I think of it, most of the big names did not want to stay on campus, actually could not, and we were all on scholarship :D

I can make my own schedule, I am paying for it, It not like high school where i have to be at school, I am playing more golf; Translation Yes I "going to Standford" , but I'll be taking 3-6 credit hours, so I can play more golf. This is because, I can't be come a memeber of the LPGA, I have already set the expectation of of playing against the men, I can not meet these expectations, so I need to find a way to save face (Brand Identity) while I get my game in order. As soon as the LPGA says I can play full time........Schools out for recess :) :cheesy:

IMO, She should have learned to win as an amateur against amateurs.

I registered for housing, I am going to be dorming it: Ok, this confirms to me that she is not going to be there a whole bunch. I can not see a 20 million dollar professional athelete staying in the dorms! She'll blend right in! and before you guys start with the she'll be just like the other rich kids stuff, na, she earned it, not her parents cash, they live off campus, in 3 bedroom condos. WTF, now that I think of it, most of the big names did not want to stay on campus, actually could not, and we were all on scholarship :D

I can make my own schedule, I am paying for it, It not like high school where i have to be at school, I am playing more golf; Translation Yes I "going to Standford" , but I'll be taking 3-6 credit hours, so I can play more golf. This is because, I can't be come a memeber of the LPGA, I have already set the expectation of of playing against the men, I can not meet these expectations, so I need to find a way to save face (Brand Identity) while I get my game in order. As soon as the LPGA says I can play full time........Schools out for recess :) :cheesy:

Actually, some of the housing at Stanford is quite nice.

Plus most colleges require out of state students to stay in the dorms for their first year or two.

I'm going to say this as politely as I can, but first I want to make it clear that it is in NO WAY intended to disparage Ms. Wie. Rather, it is just an observation about a 17 year old girl who has clearly be kept under lock-and-key by her father.

Does anyone else think that one of the reasons Michelle Wie is so excited about staying in the dorm is because she desperately wants to do things like drink lots of beer and have . . . boyfriends? In other words, a social life of which she has been deprived for her entire life? And, as anyone who has gone to college can tell you, the dorms are where those things happen. A lot.

I'm a little worried about Capriati syndrome.

I'm going to say this as politely as I can, but first I want to make it clear that it is in NO WAY intended to disparage Ms. Wie. Rather, it is just an observation about a 17 year old girl who has clearly be kept under lock-and-key by her father.

Does anyone else think that one of the reasons Michelle Wie is so excited about staying in the dorm is because she desperately wants to do things like drink lots of beer and have . . . boyfriends? In other words, a social life of which she has been deprived for her entire life? And, as anyone who has gone to college can tell you, the dorms are where those things happen. A lot.

Mental note- Sneak into stanford dorms. Sugar Mama!

Yes.

I mentioned this in an earlier thread and got the crap kicked out of me, metaphorically.

Ms. Wie has not had the opportunity to develop emotionally. Think princess locked in a tower - how well adjusted do you think she'll be?

Her comment about "paying" for college is pretty telling too, and no, I doubt her professors will cut her too much slack. Bumble Butt U might place a greater value on her being a student than academic standards, but Stanford and most prestigious colleges will not sacrifice too much to have her there.

I think, if she and her handlers are not very careful, that Ms. Wie may be in deep trouble and we may not hear much from her after this summer. If college become a failure on top of her recent golf experiences, we may see her working at McDonald's as soon as she has exhausted her bankroll on Ding Dongs, glow-in-the-dark condoms and keggers. Metaphorically speaking of course. Her caretakers certainly do not appear to have given her the moral fortitude to deal with repeated failure - or the word "no" - very well.

Mental note- Sneak into stanford dorms. Sugar Mama!

:D

Just wish I were still 19.......

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Finally.

However, worrying attitude about being free to do what she wants at Stanford because she's paying to be there.

She should can William Morris and get IMG on board asap.

"College is, I'm paying my money to go there, and I think that I'm just going to study a lot in my off season and play a lot of golf".

I saw that and I thought "oh, oh..."

She is going to last a semester at college - her professors are not going to see eye to eye with her on this point.

I definitely agree with this...in fact 1 semester may be generous. If she actually does show up for classes I don't know if it will last more than a month.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I disagree. I think she will end up concentrating more on school than golf. I personally think her performance decline is the result of burn-out. I bet she does well in school.

She's not dumb (she just needs public speaking lessons.)

It isn't her intellect that concerns me.

In a nutshell, my concern is that she has been totally controlled with none of the adults in her life preparing her to be responsible for herself. I also think she has a very unrealistic view of college. Put an individual like that in an environment that requires self control and responsibility and as often as not, they go off the deep end. I also think her sponsors will have a thing or two to say about her concentrating on school over golf.

I could be wrong, but nothing she has said or done demonstrates anything else.

I disagree. I think she will end up concentrating more on school than golf. I personally think her performance decline is the result of burn-out. I bet she does well in school.

She's not dumb (she just needs public speaking lessons.)

It isn't her intellect that concerns me.

In a nutshell, my concern is that she has been totally controlled with none of the adults in her life preparing her to be responsible for herself. I also think she has a very unrealistic view of college. Put an individual like that in an environment that requires self control and responsibility and as often as not, they go off the deep end. I also think her sponsors will have a thing or two to say about her concentrating on school over golf.

I could be wrong, but nothing she has said or done demonstrates anything else.

I can't argue with that.

Plus most colleges require out of state students to stay in the dorms for their first year or two.

Translation: Baller doesn't even know what he's talking about.

I can make my own schedule, I am paying for it, It not like high school where i have to be at school, I am playing more golf; Translation Yes I "going to Standford" , but I'll be taking 3-6 credit hours, so I can play more golf. This is because, I can't be come a memeber of the LPGA, I have already set the expectation of of playing against the men, I can not meet these expectations, so I need to find a way to save face (Brand Identity) while I get my game in order. As soon as the LPGA says I can play full time........Schools out for recess :cheesy: :aikido:

Translation: Baller doesn't even know what he's talking about.

You may be right! Seeing how 20 mil of Nike's is in MW's pocket and they are actually excited about her attending Standford, as a full time student, living in Standford Housing, which is quite nice i might add, plus be required to stay in that quite nice housing for two years none the less! With Nike just giving away free money these days, hell who needs a job! She'll be a full time student, just drinking, getting turned out, and going to classes like all the other 20 Mil Nike endorsed freshmen. Oh about that golf thing, naw don't worry about it, you can just pay us back later! Yeah you may just be right on this one. :)

You may be right! Seeing how 20 mil of Nike's is in MW's pocket and they are actually excited about her attending Standford, as a full time student, living in Standford Housing, which is quite nice i might add, plus be required to stay in that quite nice housing for two years none the less! With Nike just giving away free money these days, hell who needs a job! She'll be a full time student, just drinking, getting turned out, and going to classes like all the other 20 Mil Nike endorsed freshmen. Oh about that golf thing, naw don't worry about it, you can just pay us back later! Yeah you may just be right on this one. :D

I know its subtle, but I think Baller's post might have a hint of sarcasm in it.

:)

This is a tough bunch!

Agreed but I think (hope) that deep down, everyone just wants her to do well with her education and with her golfing future. With the talent that she has (and I don't think anyone can argue that), I just hope that she realises her full potential.

She's 17! She'll make mistakes as we all have. She's been thrown in at the deep end. We could argue forever as to whether that's due to her managment team, her parents or even Michelle herself.

Either way, she now has a celebrity status that comes with being heavily endorsed. If she chose not to go with Nike/Sony/Omega then we probably wouldn't be making a fuss. The fact that she gets more endorsment money than most PGA tour players to play a game that we all pay a fortune to play because we love it, almost gives us the right to say what we want (positive and negative).

Having said that, I wish Michelle the best with her education and hope that she can deliver what was intially expected of her in the future.

You may be right! Seeing how 20 mil of Nike's is in MW's pocket and they are actually excited about her attending Standford, as a full time student, living in Standford Housing, which is quite nice i might add, plus be required to stay in that quite nice housing for two years none the less! With Nike just giving away free money these days, hell who needs a job! She'll be a full time student, just drinking, getting turned out, and going to classes like all the other 20 Mil Nike endorsed freshmen. Oh about that golf thing, naw don't worry about it, you can just pay us back later! Yeah you may just be right on this one. :D

I know its subtle, but I think Baller's post might have a hint of sarcasm in it.

:)

Now that i've read it a few times, I can just about see it.

Good spot Charlie!