2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Drewtaylor21's Golf Journey (Swing Changes, WITB, Results)

drewtaylor21

This driving strategy tutorial is pretty awesome.

The resume of players using his method is pretty impressive; I wonder how strictly they are following it.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update time!

So I'm currently STILL waiting on my fitting to fill out the TaylorMade bag. Headed to Club Champion this coming Thursday, so I'm really looking forward to that. Once I have my specs, I'll be sending them to TMAG and hopefully will have some new sticks coming my way soon! In the meantime, the Directed Force has been sold and the Daddy Long Legs is back in the bag (until the Spider Platinum arrives). Already much more comfortable over the ball and while I didn't putt great in my round yesterday, it was a noticeable improvement over any round with the DF, especially on distance control.

The driver fit is still a work in progress, but I'm getting close! I've played 3 rounds now with the M2 D-type, and one of those rounds (yesterday), I put my old UST VTS shaft back in. I was actually getting the best numbers with the D-type and my old shaft at the Kingdom, so that was the recommendation. However, they didn't have that shaft, so they gave me the UST Elements Chrome Platinum shaft. I never actually hit that shaft at the kingdom or saw numbers with it though, so while it felt solid during our round in San Diego, I'm still not sure if it'll be the gamer. I've been back and forth between the two UST shafts the last couple weeks and would say my old UST VTS is coming out ahead based on the on-course results. To make things a little more interesting though, I just pulled the trigger on an Accra FX-260 that I was fit into at Cool Clubs after finding it for a steal on the bay. Once I get it trimmed and gripped up, I'll be having a good old fashioned driver (shaft) shootout. I got really, really good results with the Accra at Cool Clubs on both occasions I was there, so I'm thinking it should win out. Might be the last driver shaft I need for a long while, it felt that good!

I'm also going to have my local club shop trim down the UST Elements, as it is a half inch longer than my gamer shaft for some reason. Seems to have been an oversight at TaylorMade. All 3 shafts will be at the same length, which according to Cool Clubs is a playing length of 44.75" (please forgive the dog hair....this is the norm when living with a German Shepherd!)

My game is starting to make some progress in the right direction again too, which is nice. Truthfully, most of my results the last couple months have been pretty abysmal, but I chalk that up to not having nearly enough practice time. I was able to put a little bit of work in over the last two weeks and while I still wasn't sharp from 30 yards in, my ballstriking was closer to where I want it, and I shot a pretty solid 74 yesterday playing with RobRey85 and PepsiDuck (Kelvin), who was in town from Monterrey. Very pleased to report that I hit 15 GIR, highlighted by two birdie tap-ins and a made 6 footer for birdie on par 4's, then a lipped-out 10 foot eagle (two putt bird) on a par 5 on the back. Unfortunately I mixed in two doubles on the back 9 as well, and failed to get up and down for birdie from within 30 yards on the other 3 par 5's, but those are areas that I'll be able to tighten up once I'm able to practice short game even semi-consistently.

Hoping to have the driver shootout within the next 2 weeks, maybe over Masters weekend, so stay tuned :)

You hit 15 GIRs?! :swoon:

I clearly had too much wine, lol.

[media=]

[/media]

The resume of players using his method is pretty impressive; I wonder how strictly they are following it.

I feel the same way. I watched it last Friday after Andrew mentioned it and felt like it was the best thing I've read about in awhile.

Or he didn't have enough from the friendship bottle...

I feel the same way. I watched it last Friday after Andrew mentioned it and felt like it was the best thing I've read about in awhile.

This video is useless since it doesn't address #housesinplay.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

It totally does though, assuming houses in play are within 65 yards hazard to hazard (across). :beruo: It basically says to pull a Kelvin and grab the 4i or the shortest club in the bag until #housesarenotinplay. :rofl:

sounds like you're in good shape just need to get the short game sharp, often the case after a winter of not being able to practice! I know mine was very rusty yesterday.

question, why do you put your grips on wonky?

Yeah I was swinging well, short game definitely needs reps! It's a case of winter + baby + very busy at work :)

The grips are wonky because both were installed in a different setting than I currently play them. I think both were "fit" at a degree lower and I've gotten better performance at the standard loft setting, which makes the grip sideways lol. It's funny that you picked that up from the picture, I never even think about it!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[media=]

[/media]

Yeah I want to try that driving strategy next time I play and see what it tells me. I have a feeling I'll be pretty close, as he seems to recommend a pretty aggressive driving strategy, and I hit a lot of drivers off tees. I've always been more confident with driver than FW or even hybrid, so unless I'm going to run out of fairway into a hazard or something, I'm taking driver.

I think he mentioned somewhere (maybe twitter) that guys score better when they remain consistent, as the content stays fresh in your mind...but that may also be a sales pitch haha. Like I mentioned to you, I think the bulk of the improvements would probably come in the first 6 months as you learn and apply this strategy to your course management, the rest would be maintenance and perhaps some slight changes as your game evolves. That's my guess anyway! Hoping to explore this over the summer. If you pull the trigger before then, please keep us all posted in your thread!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Haha definitely not enough from the friendship bottle! That was some delicious gatorade....

And the 15 GIR is the strict measure, I was 1 foot off the green on the fringe on #4 and "hit" another green after a penalty on #13 but didn't count either. The only one I REALLY missed was that stupid 230 yard par 3, #12....One of my better iron days in a while, which makes me happy! The fact that I shot 74 from that kind of a ballstriking day is pretty atrocious though....lol

GOOD NEWS! I just got an email from Club Champion, they have the full line of MG wedges from TaylorMade as of today, so I'll get to test and fit all those as well. Pumped!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Hope you're fitting isn't holding up Schnee and the gang. I could see Schnee leading an angry mob with pitchforks and torches outside your place shortly if Schnee doesn't get his sticks.

LOL! No drew isn't holding us up. I may get mine last because of some options I picked. I'm in no rush.

Haha yeah I was feeling bad holding them up the first time around! I feel much better now that the ball is in TaylorMade's court.

Schnee, we'll see, I still have my eye on a combo set, so you and I might be fighting for last place!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I should also give accolades where they're due. Rob took our money! After some discussion in the previous week, we opted for a very strange $5 Nassau using Stableford scoring lol. Because we're high rollers, an additional dollar went to the winner of long drive on the par 5's, closest to the pin on par 3's, and longest putt made all day. Kelvin took home the longest putt, with a sweet ~22 footer on #15 (for birdie?), and Rob snagged two KP's, one with an exquisite approach to the 230 yard 12th hole that he put to ~15 feet. After a little scoring debacle, it turned out that Rob and I tied on the front 9 (I thought I was one up haha). We reached the 18th and I needed to make birdie and needed Rob to make double or worse to tie. I smoked one up the left side of the fairway, and Rob stepped up and put it right in my shadow! I even tried to get in his head before he tee'd off, mentioning the houses and water in play up the right side :rofl: He busted it though. Things got VERY interesting however, as he bladed his approach from 100 yards over the green into the desert scrub! The door was open for me....95 yards to a back pin....hit an almost perfect knock down sand wedge but it came off a touch hot. Landed in the rough just behind the green and hopped/spun back onto the green to 16' above the hole. Rob dropped in the FW and hit his 4th onto the green, 20-25 feet below the hole and 2-putted for double. I needed to make mine to tie....and.....just flat pulled it. UGH! haha had it read correctly, just did not hit a good putt. I think we had a blast out there though, and it's always fun when Kelvin is in town! Though Sunday was a struggle, I still expect good things from his golf game this year - there are definitely good signs showing up!

PS, does anyone know why closest to the pin is traditionally called a KP? We were all wondering why it isn't CP....

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I should also give accolades where they're due. Rob took our money! After some discussion in the previous week, we opted for a very strange $5 Nassau using Stableford scoring lol. Because we're high rollers, an additional dollar went to the winner of long drive on the par 5's, closest to the pin on par 3's, and longest putt made all day. Kelvin took home the longest putt, with a sweet ~22 footer on #15 (for birdie?), and Rob snagged two KP's, one with an exquisite approach to the 230 yard 12th hole that he put to ~15 feet. After a little scoring debacle, it turned out that Rob and I tied on the front 9 (I thought I was one up haha). We reached the 18th and I needed to make birdie and needed Rob to make double or worse to tie. I smoked one up the left side of the fairway, and Rob stepped up and put it right in my shadow! I even tried to get in his head before he tee'd off, mentioning the houses and water in play up the right side :rofl: He busted it though. Things got VERY interesting however, as he bladed his approach from 100 yards over the green into the desert scrub! The door was open for me....95 yards to a back pin....hit an almost perfect knock down sand wedge but it came off a touch hot. Landed in the rough just behind the green and hopped/spun back onto the green to 16' above the hole. Rob dropped in the FW and hit his 4th onto the green, 20-25 feet below the hole and 2-putted for double. I needed to make mine to tie....and.....just flat pulled it. UGH! haha had it read correctly, just did not hit a good putt. I think we had a blast out there though, and it's always fun when Kelvin is in town! Though Sunday was a struggle, I still expect good things from his golf game this year - there are definitely good signs showing up!

PS, does anyone know why closest to the pin is traditionally called a KP? We were all wondering why it isn't CP....

You almost had me and if I'm being 100% honest, I even surprised myself putting that tee shot in the fairway! :cheesy: I thought your approach was closer than it was and was like, "MOTHERF-!" By this time I had pretty much less than half a glass left of my wine bottle and was trying to talk myself off the ledge after that bladed 58° wedge. I had 92 to the pin and estimated it to about 86 yards with the wind and was debating between a three quarter 54 or a full 58. I thought the 54 for safety reasons (see my second shot) but I thought the 58 would put my closer, clearly, it didn't work out, lol. If I could do it again, I would hit the 54 with no doubt.

I'd like to also thanks drewtaylor21and PepsiDuck for contributing to my TP5x purchase I made today, lolol. :tongue:

You almost had me and if I'm being 100% honest, I even surprised myself putting that tee shot in the fairway! :cheesy: I thought your approach was closer than it was and was like, "MOTHERF-!" By this time I had pretty much less than half a glass left of my wine bottle and was trying to talk myself off the ledge after that bladed 58° wedge. I had 92 to the pin and estimated it to about 86 yards with the wind and was debating between a three quarter 54 or a full 58. I thought the 54 for safety reasons (see my second shot) but I thought the 58 would put my closer, clearly, it didn't work out, lol. If I could do it again, I would hit the 54 with no doubt.

I'd like to also thanks drewtaylor21and PepsiDuck for contributing to my TP5x purchase I made today, lolol. :tongue:

Yes, you all read that correctly, Rob brought a bottle of wine :rofl:

Haha he has his reasons, which are legit, but Rob I'm never going to stop giving you grief about that!!

Has anyone seen this?

https://twitter.com/...655524305649666

I have mixed feelings about Elk, but I thought this was kind of a fascinating approach to aiming a putter

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Haha he has his reasons, which are legit, but Rob I'm never going to stop giving you grief about that!!

Has anyone seen this?

I have mixed feelings about Elk, but I thought this was kind of a fascinating approach to aiming a putter

I think it could work. I'm not a fan of describing your aim "how many clicks" but it's a solid idea if you're confident you're aiming into the center of the cup. Although, half a degree right or left from 20' is going to be like trying to guess how many tees are in a jar. You might on occasion, guess right. I think if you're playing the guessing game, might as well envision where the invisible line is or pick a spot and try to hit your spot. I prefer the Chubbs Peterson method, pick a spot six inches from the ball and roll your ball over the spot. Contrary to my awful putting, I think it works well with a good stroke, lol.

Has anyone seen this?

I think it could work. I'm not a fan of describing your aim "how many clicks" but it's a solid idea if you're confident you're aiming into the center of the cup. Although, half a degree right or left from 20' is going to be like trying to guess how many tees are in a jar. You might on occasion, guess right. I think if you're playing the guessing game, might as well envision where the invisible line is or pick a spot and try to hit your spot. I prefer the Chubbs Peterson method, pick a spot six inches from the ball and roll your ball over the spot. Contrary to my awful putting, I think it works well with a good stroke, lol.

Yeah I'm thinking only from like 6 feet and in, beyond that it gets a little crazy, like you said. I have trouble aiming at the edges of cups for some reason though, so I might experiment with this on the shorties.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Has anyone seen this?

Yeah I'm thinking only from like 6 feet and in, beyond that it gets a little crazy, like you said. I have trouble aiming at the edges of cups for some reason though, so I might experiment with this on the shorties.

We need to get out for a short game practice day sometime soon.

Thank you for referring to my round Sunday simply as "a struggle." :cheesy:

And that putt was for birdie, believe it or not. It must have been because I hit 4 iron off the tee rather than a driver or 3W. Even hybrid off the tee freaked me out.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

And that putt was for birdie, believe it or not. It must have been because I hit 4 iron off the tee rather than a driver or 3W. Even hybrid off the tee freaked me out.

I thought that was for bird! lol

To be fair, hybrids off the tee freak me out too....

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

For those following who are interested in Dana Dahlquist's ideas, I thought this was an solid podcast and he explained a few of his key concepts pretty nicely! It always sounds more complicated than it really is, but there's some good stuff in here. Some of the highlights included discussion on early extension and power generation (feat. Rory McIlroy's swing). Enjoy! (it's the most recent episode here)

http://www.pgatour.com/radio/on-the-mark.html

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I watched the whole hole ensue for Kelvin and even "gave him" that 22 footer because I had what the wise man calls, "faith", in his abilities. :cheesy:

[media=]

[/media]

I was just re-watching this and taking some notes and I must have missed it the first time through, but at the end (33:47) he describes a really wacky par 4 where he hit 7 iron, 3 iron and 2-putted for par while his FC's hit driver.

"They were looking at me like I was crazy walking up to the tee with a 7 iron, but I made par and they made a 7 and an 8, it was awesome." Hahaha!

One thing I'm curious about is once you have the 65-yard wide grid, are you aiming right down the middle of that triangle, or favoring your typical shot shape? He definitely says to favor one side if it's away from a hazard, but it's more like you're just adjusting where the center of the triangle-grid is and aiming right down the middle of it. The assumption is that most people are going to miss equally on both sides, but at least for me, if I miss left it's a pull or pull-fade that didn't fade much, the ball is almost never going left to left. Definitely interested in learning more!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

[media=]

[/media]

Yeah I want to try that driving strategy next time I play and see what it tells me. I have a feeling I'll be pretty close, as he seems to recommend a pretty aggressive driving strategy, and I hit a lot of drivers off tees. I've always been more confident with driver than FW or even hybrid, so unless I'm going to run out of fairway into a hazard or something, I'm taking driver.

I think he mentioned somewhere (maybe twitter) that guys score better when they remain consistent, as the content stays fresh in your mind...but that may also be a sales pitch haha. Like I mentioned to you, I think the bulk of the improvements would probably come in the first 6 months as you learn and apply this strategy to your course management, the rest would be maintenance and perhaps some slight changes as your game evolves. That's my guess anyway! Hoping to explore this over the summer. If you pull the trigger before then, please keep us all posted in your thread!

+1 on keeping us posted if you decide to give it a go.

For those following who are interested in Dana Dahlquist's ideas, I thought this was an solid podcast and he explained a few of his key concepts pretty nicely! It always sounds more complicated than it really is, but there's some good stuff in here. Some of the highlights included discussion on early extension and power generation (feat. Rory McIlroy's swing). Enjoy! (it's the most recent episode here)

http://www.pgatour.c...n-the-mark.html

thanks, always interested to listen to Dana talk golf, will give this a watch later

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

the first 4 and half minutes was terrible haha! after that (when dana came on) was awesome. Thanks for sharing

I was just re-watching this and taking some notes and I must have missed it the first time through, but at the end (33:47) he describes a really wacky par 4 where he hit 7 iron, 3 iron and 2-putted for par while his FC's hit driver.

"They were looking at me like I was crazy walking up to the tee with a 7 iron, but I made par and they made a 7 and an 8, it was awesome." Hahaha!

One thing I'm curious about is once you have the 65-yard wide grid, are you aiming right down the middle of that triangle, or favoring your typical shot shape? He definitely says to favor one side if it's away from a hazard, but it's more like you're just adjusting where the center of the triangle-grid is and aiming right down the middle of it. The assumption is that most people are going to miss equally on both sides, but at least for me, if I miss left it's a pull or pull-fade that didn't fade much, the ball is almost never going left to left. Definitely interested in learning more!

Great video and find by Q!

I've played that funky par 4 (#16 at Firewheel Golf Park - The Bridges) several times in tournaments and casual rounds and it does indeed leave players shaking their heads. Most pars I've seen made were probably due in part to getting a bit lucky because you stand on that tee box and are clueless about what the proper play is (so you end up being uncommitted as well). Scott's strategy of 7i-3i makes total sense to me (now) but I don't think most players consider that as an option as it's so "out of the box".

Anxious to try and put Fawcett's approach into play in my next event.

I actually talked to Scott on Twitter about this. The middle of your grid is your "target." But depending on your normal shot shape, your "start line" may be left or right of that.

C2jBgMgUUAAW_yq.jpg

Q: While the "target" may be the middle of that dispersion, would it be accurate to say your "intended start line" may be just a little L [if hitting normal cut]? Allows the "hot pull" and flare in the dispersion and target is middle of that dispersion.

A: exactly

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

sounds like you're in good shape just need to get the short game sharp, often the case after a winter of not being able to practice! I know mine was very rusty yesterday.

question, why do you put your grips on wonky?

Yeah I was swinging well, short game definitely needs reps! It's a case of winter + baby + very busy at work :)

The grips are wonky because both were installed in a different setting than I currently play them. I think both were "fit" at a degree lower and I've gotten better performance at the standard loft setting, which makes the grip sideways lol. It's funny that you picked that up from the picture, I never even think about it!

didn't think about the shaft adapters! I can't stand grips being wonky, its why I use tour velvet and fit them logo side down. thankfully I have changed my loft on my driver and with it being logo side down I never even noticed, would've driven my crazy otherwise!

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I actually talked to Scott on Twitter about this. The middle of your grid is your "target." But depending on your normal shot shape, your "start line" may be left or right of that.

C2jBgMgUUAAW_yq.jpg

Q: While the "target" may be the middle of that dispersion, would it be accurate to say your "intended start line" may be just a little L [if hitting normal cut]? Allows the "hot pull" and flare in the dispersion and target is middle of that dispersion.

A: exactly

Thanks for sharing Q, the approach definitely makes more sense to me this way!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

thanks, always interested to listen to Dana talk golf, will give this a watch later

Dana has been teasing an online academy for a few months, it will be interesting to see how what he teaches compares to what George teaches. Hopefully it's soon, it's been coming very soon since November lol

Dana has been teasing an online academy for a few months, it will be interesting to see how what he teaches compares to what George teaches. Hopefully it's soon, it's been coming very soon since November lol

Haha yeah I was excited the first time I heard about the online academy too. Still waiting....

Hopefully he is just putting content together and making sure it's all done correctly. Early launch with lots of bugs is a disaster, and he doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in half-assing anything.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x