Pre-Shot Routine - Do Instructors Teach This?

zzilb

The Post-Shot Routine is as important as the PSR and depending on one's personality, more important. Where as a quality PSR is built around a consistent reproducible routine, one's Post-Shot Routine is based more off of one's reaction to the outcome of their last shot.

If one just hit a poor shot, they must quickly analyze why they had the outcome that they had and then forget the shot and outcome. This is easier said than done however it MUST be done to be able to move forward in the right frame of mind to attempt the next shot successfully. They must then picture the shot that they visualized during their PSR and that is the last picture that should be in their mind. They should then forget that shot and clear their mind.

If one has just hit a great shot and their adrenaline is spiked and they are excited, they must use their Post-Shot Routine to first, give themselves a mental kudo and then replay the shot to further ingrain it in their mental movie projector and then they must get back to the present, control their breathing, adrenaline and focus and clear their mind and move on.

My Post-Shot Routine was done after my follow through with my club still in my hand. If my shot went as planned, I would replay that shot all the way to the ball stopping at the target and if it did not go as planned,I would quickly ascertain why not, making the mental notes necessary to hit the appropriate shot the next time and then forget the swing & outcome of my last shot.

The most critical factor in formulating one's own Post-Shot Routine is in accounting for all of the possible emotions and coming up with a strategy to deal with them and prepare you for the next shot.

Regarding my PSR, and I tried different points to flip my "on/off" switch, however I found that when I started my PSR when I pulled my club from my bag while standing behind the bag, I would initially visualize the shot needed and then my required swing, the ball flight/path and the desired outcome.

I would then step into address, perform my waggles with my only thoughts being of the target and then let 'er fly.

As I've said in other threads, while Pete introduced the PSR to me, he left the particulars up to me, only speaking of his and Sam's. I experimented with a few variations and settled on the one described here because it allowed me to visualize my swing and successful outcome early, when I was behind my bag and before address in the event that I had any negative thoughts or feelings and thus plenty of time(though my PSR took 32-36 seconds) to put my club back in the bag and begin again if my FEELINGS or VISION were "off." Also, once I stepped into address,I did not look at the target, only visualizing it from my prior look and visualization. If for any reason that vision was cloudy, unclear or I had a negative feeling, I would step off, put the club back in the bag and begin again.

One other thing is that I would go through my PSR and Post-Shot Routine on every single ball when I was either practicing on course or doing a "competitive" practice routine on the line. If I was doing a "mechanical" practice routine on the line, while I would obviously analyze every shot, I did not go through my PSR or Post-SR. I also would practice both my PSR and Post-SR, myriad times a day when I was alone and had a few minutes. For my Post-SR, I would visualize both successful shots and s**** shots from the past. I initially would get just as pissed standing in an elevator visualing a greenside bunker dump as I did that day on the course, lol.

Well, I hope that this helps. Like everything in this game, the PSR and Post-Shot Routine are an individual thing though hopefully this gives those working on theirs a template to work with.

Whether it's your PSR and/or your Post-Shot Routine, the bottom line and goal is to prepare yourself and give yourself the best chance to successfully hit your next shot.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

First off...hope you and Maddie had a great Thanksgiving with family et al....secondly, hope treatments are going well.

Want to second your comment that a PSR was introduced to you, but not dictated to you.

I did the same for my students, especially in a group environment. I would explain the purpose, and then go through mine, pointing particularly the amount of time it took me. Any longer than 8 seconds from the time I started my routine, or shorter than 8 seconds...I could predictably expect a less than stellar shot.

And, of course, like you have pointed out....the pre-shot routine only started after the evaluation of lie, wind, etc. The post shot routine (evaluation) equally important, was always discussed as well. but never did I instruct anyone to do what I did, but encouraged each student to create his/her own way to get ready to pull the trigger...the same way, every time, to create a path to a steadier, less-prone-to-pressure swing.

For years I did the same, just teaching the general idea, and telling students, "just create your own routine that works for you".

I stopped telling them this about eight years ago for the following reason: every time I would do a lesson with the student - guess what? They were using a totally different "routine"!!

If you keep changing your "routine" - it is NOT a routine....

Now I teach a very precise routine with Five Stages, the last being the Swing Trigger Ritual, which itself has seven steps. It includes two waggles, head rotation and fixation of your vision on a precise spot in front of the ball, and "arm stretch" as the actual trigger to start your swing.

This is very true as most golfers don't swing the same way twice, don't have the same pre-swing or post-swing thoughts two shots in a row so how in the hell are they going to have a consistent Pre or Post Shot routine and know what it should include lol??

I should have maybe mentioned this though how Pete taught or Maddie teaches is irrelevant to anyone in here so I didn't bring it up, they basically have two ways of approaching their students.

I should probably let Maddie speak to this however she is always speakin for me though I pulled a pair of my big boi pants on today so I'm feelin good, LMAO.

Pete(and Maddie) would initially ask a new Student to hit some balls for them and to go through their on-course routine, from approaching their bag and pulling their club through completion of the shot. If the guy or gal looked at em like they've got three eyes then they would first explain the concept of a PSR then A Post-SR, giving them a more rigid template than I gave, telling them what they should incorporate into it.

Obviously it depended on the student in front of them. If it was a Player, they usually had one as ya don't get to Plus under pressure without one, if not both, though I do know a few Players that sort of fly by the seat of their pants Post Shot and they're fine as long as they're hitting the ball well though if they start goin sideways, they get too much techy and mechanical s*** goin on mentally and can't just reign it in and get it in the hole as painlessly as possible, lol. One is actually Elite with a State Am under his belt.

Basicsly most follow the Ladie's five step as I and most Players have been doin that since lonnnnng before they even swung a club as lil girls and they were still playin in sand boxes, lol.

Also, just as I didn't look to the target once I stepped into adress, be it fairway or green, I never took practice swings/strokes, so if you do the same, just eliminate that step from whatever ya adapt. It all comes down to what gives you the best opportunity to hit the best shot possible.

Anyhoo, great post Jim!

Have a nice weekend :)

Oh, and Sweetheart, I was just joshin, I'm takin my BB pants off now. Lovingly, Me :)

To the rest of Ya, All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a time frame that is ideal or is it s personal preference?

Are you speaking to length of routine time frame or when to begin in context to the swing?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The Post-Shot Routine is as important as the PSR and depending on one's personality, more important. Where as a quality PSR is built around a consistent reproducible routine, one's Post-Shot Routine is based more off of one's reaction to the outcome of their last shot.

If one just hit a poor shot, they must quickly analyze why they had the outcome that they had and then forget the shot and outcome. This is easier said than done however it MUST be done to be able to move forward in the right frame of mind to attempt the next shot successfully. They must then picture the shot that they visualized during their PSR and that is the last picture that should be in their mind. They should then forget that shot and clear their mind.

If one has just hit a great shot and their adrenaline is spiked and they are excited, they must use their Post-Shot Routine to first, give themselves a mental kudo and then replay the shot to further ingrain it in their mental movie projector and then they must get back to the present, control their breathing, adrenaline and focus and clear their mind and move on.

My Post-Shot Routine was done after my follow through with my club still in my hand. If my shot went as planned, I would replay that shot all the way to the ball stopping at the target and if it did not go as planned,I would quickly ascertain why not, making the mental notes necessary to hit the appropriate shot the next time and then forget the swing & outcome of my last shot.

The most critical factor in formulating one's own Post-Shot Routine is in accounting for all of the possible emotions and coming up with a strategy to deal with them and prepare you for the next shot.

Regarding my PSR, and I tried different points to flip my "on/off" switch, however I found that when I started my PSR when I pulled my club from my bag while standing behind the bag, I would initially visualize the shot needed and then my required swing, the ball flight/path and the desired outcome.

I would then step into address, perform my waggles with my only thoughts being of the target and then let 'er fly.

As I've said in other threads, while Pete introduced the PSR to me, he left the particulars up to me, only speaking of his and Sam's. I experimented with a few variations and settled on the one described here because it allowed me to visualize my swing and successful outcome early, when I was behind my bag and before address in the event that I had any negative thoughts or feelings and thus plenty of time(though my PSR took 32-36 seconds) to put my club back in the bag and begin again if my FEELINGS or VISION were "off." Also, once I stepped into address,I did not look at the target, only visualizing it from my prior look and visualization. If for any reason that vision was cloudy, unclear or I had a negative feeling, I would step off, put the club back in the bag and begin again.

One other thing is that I would go through my PSR and Post-Shot Routine on every single ball when I was either practicing on course or doing a "competitive" practice routine on the line. If I was doing a "mechanical" practice routine on the line, while I would obviously analyze every shot, I did not go through my PSR or Post-SR. I also would practice both my PSR and Post-SR, myriad times a day when I was alone and had a few minutes. For my Post-SR, I would visualize both successful shots and s**** shots from the past. I initially would get just as pissed standing in an elevator visualing a greenside bunker dump as I did that day on the course, lol.

Well, I hope that this helps. Like everything in this game, the PSR and Post-Shot Routine are an individual thing though hopefully this gives those working on theirs a template to work with.

Whether it's your PSR and/or your Post-Shot Routine, the bottom line and goal is to prepare yourself and give yourself the best chance to successfully hit your next shot.

RP

First off...hope you and Maddie had a great Thanksgiving with family et al....secondly, hope treatments are going well.

Thanks much for the thoughts Bro :)

I got to go home if I promised to follow this list that they gave Maddie, cuz they figured if they gave it to me it wouldn't make it home. It was nice to fall asleep on the floor with Ava, lol. Hopefully the treatments finish up in January if I steer clear of any set backs.

This was Thursday and little Grace Loves Maddie but me, not so much, lol

She loves playing "nose" with Madison and when I tried it she let out this blood curdling scream, lol.

I can't swing a club and I've lost my touch with the girls, haha

Gettin old sorta sucks but I ain't dead yet :)

Thanks again for the thoughts and wishes!!

I hope that you and yours had a Happy & Blessed Day :)

RP

Thanks much for the thoughts Bro :)

I got to go home if I promised to follow this list that they gave Maddie, cuz they figured if they gave it to me it wouldn't make it home. It was nice to fall asleep on the floor with Ava, lol. Hopefully the treatments finish up in January if I steer clear of any set backs.

This was Thursday and little Grace Loves Maddie but me, not so much, lol

She loves playing "nose" with Madison and when I tried it she let out this blood curdling scream, lol.

I can't swing a club and I've lost my touch with the girls, haha

Gettin old sorta sucks but I ain't dead yet :)

Thanks again for the thoughts and wishes!!

I hope that you and yours had a Happy & Blessed Day :)

Oops, don't know what happened - see post below!

The happiest of Thanksgivng to you and Maddie and girls!

January isn't that far away!

Whatever touch I had with the ladies hasn't been needed for 28 years, since I got married. Now I "preside" over a wife, two daughters, a female dog and a neutered dog and I think they all humor me by making me think I have any "touch" whatsoever. Don't worry, they'll keep you feeling studly!

The happiest of Thanksgivng to you and Maddie and girls!

January isn't that far away!

Whatever touch I had with the ladies hasn't been needed for 28 years, since I got married. Now I "preside" over a wife, two daughters, a female dog and a neutered dog and I think they all humor me by making me think I have any "touch" whatsoever. Don't worry, they'll keep you feeling studly!

Thank you very much Hawk!! Richard has not been around Grace much because she was not allowed on his wing of the hospital due to her age so it will just take a little time for her to get used to him, lol. On the other hand, my son-in-law(Grace's father) tried to lay on the couch with Ava and she got up, took her pillow and kitten and told him that only "my daddy sleeps with me," lol. His feelings were hurt also. Boys and their egos, lol. We hope that you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving :) Fondly, Maddie

Are you speaking to length of routine time frame or when to begin in context to the swing?

All the Best,

RP

Length of routine

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

All the Best,

RP

Length of routine

This is really an individual thing as it just depends on what you're comfortable with. I had a quick pace on the course, though my 24:8 Tempo isn't that quick, really average by Players' times. I was usually 32-36 seconds from the time that I pulled my club to start my PSR to lettin 'er fly and unlike a lot of Players, my putting window was the same, 32-36 seconds. A lot of guys/gals will take 5-10 seconds more for their putter however I didn't need that extra time. Extra time in my PSR was like extra time in my backswing, it left room for error and indecision. Maddie could tell if I had doubts or indecision about something if my time hit 40+ seconds, lol. Maddie was at 40~45 seconds, with Nathan Smith at 35-40 seconds and Bob Ford(Oakmont/Seminole HP) came in at 30-35 seconds. Maddie was about 5 seconds more on the putter and I don't know on the others though I'd say Nathan was about the same with his putter. He doesn't dick around, lol.

It just depends on you so there is no "right" time, only that which allows you to go through your PSR with a clear picture and feel for the upcoming shot.

Whatever your time is, it should be consistently in a 3-5 second window every time.

This is a nice article....

http://www.bendbulletin.com/newsroomstafflist/4050994-151/golfers-try-to-shorten-pre-shot-routines

I hope that this helps :)

Stay well My Friend,

RP

I think of pre-shot routines like shooting a free throw. The best free-throw shooters look like robots in the repetitiveness of their routines, yet to them, it's still reactionary. They aren't really thinking of the routine, but rather the target. That being said, they've spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours in the practice gym doing that exact same free throw routine. They don't catch the bounce pass from the ref and try to shoot it as fast as possible, or if there's more pressure, look at the rim for an extra 10 seconds.

The only thing I really think about in my pre-shot routine anymore is a quick, half-swing clip of the turf right before stepping into the ball, simulating ball-first contact. I'm hitting the ball within 5 seconds of that. My whole routine, however, probably never varies by more than a couple seconds, much like Richard stated. I've never timed it, but I know that I'd get uncomfortable if I was approaching the shot differently than normal. My whole routine is mostly spent assessing the shot and determining what to hit and how to hit it. I spend very little time over the ball. Probably looks like I'm trying to hit it before a squirrel comes and steals my ball.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I think of pre-shot routines like shooting a free throw. The best free-throw shooters look like robots in the repetitiveness of their routines, yet to them, it's still reactionary. They aren't really thinking of the routine, but rather the target. That being said, they've spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours in the practice gym doing that exact same free throw routine. They don't catch the bounce pass from the ref and try to shoot it as fast as possible, or if there's more pressure, look at the rim for an extra 10 seconds.

The only thing I really think about in my pre-shot routine anymore is a quick, half-swing clip of the turf right before stepping into the ball, simulating ball-first contact. I'm hitting the ball within 5 seconds of that. My whole routine, however, probably never varies by more than a couple seconds, much like Richard stated. I've never timed it, but I know that I'd get uncomfortable if I was approaching the shot differently than normal. My whole routine is mostly spent assessing the shot and determining what to hit and how to hit it. I spend very little time over the ball. Probably looks like I'm trying to hit it before a squirrel comes and steals my ball.

Good post.

A pre-shot routine goes way beyond simply locking you in on a target. It's about "selective attention" which you can see an example of in this video...

[media=]

[/media]

So, not only does a pre-shot routine allow you to consistently get setup correctly and make decisions, going through the process of the routine literally blocks out harmful distractions. That's why you see professional golfers say that they focus on their routines and the process during the heat of a tournament.