Slazenger Ben Hogans 1+ ? any info

bazinoz

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1+ started when the Hogan company started using the Apex shafts, they promoted the shafts as thin wall composition allowing the shaft to be lighter, hence you got 1+ club out of your set, 9 iron going 8 iron etc.distance since weight was lighter you got more distance

Pretty sure they added 1/2 inch to length of all irons also

Like Teevons says, plus the fact that Hogan is often credited with kicking off the loft creep movement. The '72 Apex lofts were close to a club stronger than industry averages for the time, and I suspect the late '60s clubs would have been similar.

Those look really nice BTW. Can you tell whether they're fitted with Apex shafts? That would be a nice bonus!

It was my understanding that Slazenger were the European version.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

The 1+ started when the Hogan company started using the Apex shafts, they promoted the shafts as thin wall composition allowing the shaft to be lighter, hence you got 1+ club out of your set, 9 iron going 8 iron etc.distance since weight was lighter you got more distance

Pretty sure they added 1/2 inch to length of all irons also

Like Teevons says, plus the fact that Hogan is often credited with kicking off the loft creep movement. The '72 Apex lofts were close to a club stronger than industry averages for the time, and I suspect the late '60s clubs would have been similar.

Those look really nice BTW. Can you tell whether they're fitted with Apex shafts? That would be a nice bonus!

It was my understanding that Slazenger were the European version.

Thanks for the info guys.

Don't know if they have Apex shafts. I'll be taking a look at them today.

European? or possibly Australian / Asian? I'm in Oz.

Nice to hear they are de-lofted / stronger and possibly longer. I'll need all the length I can get if I play them :)

As for looking nice, should these have any value over and above a regular old set? The set apparently has 3-SW plus Ben Hogan woods (I'm hoping from the original set). Don't want to pay overs, but hoping as well that they have some sort of 'value'.

Finally, how old? I figure early 70's? Are they going to be very hard to play?

Thanks everyone.

I have a set of 1970 bounce sole +1 irons 1-9

Reshafted with x100 dg

If your used to hitting blades or a reasonable ballstriker , you should have no issue at all

I find mine very playable .forging is hogan awesomeness

The faces are longer and taller than most classic blades, built in forgiveness right there

These were the first set of hogans I bought .

I'd grab them if you can get them at a decent price

I have a set of 1970 bounce sole +1 irons 1-9

Reshafted with x100 dg

If your used to hitting blades or a reasonable ballstriker , you should have no issue at all

I find mine very playable .forging is hogan awesomeness

The faces are longer and taller than most classic blades, built in forgiveness right there

These were the first set of hogans I bought .

I'd grab them if you can get them at a decent price

Well, I picked them up today at a real reasonable price (I thought).

Set is 3-Wedge (it's a "dual wedge"? Apparently used as both a P & S according to the old guy i got them off).

I'd never call myself a "ball-striker" or used to blades. So they might only see the light of day on "classic bag" outings.

Also 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 4 woods, Slazenger Ben Hogan as well. They have "Poly-Miracle Moulded Power" on the toe.

Came with a nice Spalding TPM #6 putter. Already got a #4, so starting a collection there without realising :)

The shafts have a red band with Ben Hogan written on them. Can't find anything else. Does this make them Apex shafts or not?

The grips are original and quite shiny. Just about playable which will do me for the use they will get.

I'll try to get some pics in the next day or 2.

Nice one. For age, I would guess no later than 1971. Apex branded heads came out in 72, unless slazenger was a bit behind. If you measure the length of the first step and the step pattern we might be able to identify the shafts.

Birly, the first step is 12" from where the shaft goes into the clubhead. Then steps are every 3" up the shaft.

Another thing I've noticed with the heads. The 3 - 7 are very angular with a straight top line so the club heads are quite triangular in shape. The 8 - W are curved at the top making the heads more pear-shaped in appearance.

Oh, and the set was rounded out with a Northwestern Dorado 1 iron and a Slazenger Nicklaus Golden Bear MkIII 2 iron.

Baz - I'll have a look when I get the chance to compare those measurements with what I have. Should be able to do that over the weekend. I've got some Apex shafts for reference, but also some '60s Slazenger Hogans which I think have a red Slazenger Hogan label but which aren't Apex.

Which club did you measure the 12" first step on? That distance should get shorter as the club gets shorter, and vice versa.

Baz - I'll have a look when I get the chance to compare those measurements with what I have. Should be able to do that over the weekend. I've got some Apex shafts for reference, but also some '60s Slazenger Hogans which I think have a red Slazenger Hogan label but which aren't Apex.

Which club did you measure the 12" first step on? That distance should get shorter as the club gets shorter, and vice versa.

They are all the same mate (as near as I can measure).

The woods seem to have the same shafts, but they are a little under 16" to the first step, then 3" steps after that going up the shaft.

Slazenger were also the distributor in Canada for the Hogan line, hence the ID stamp.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

The woods seem to have the same shafts, but they are a little under 16" to the first step, then 3" steps after that going up the shaft.

Sorry Baz, 3" steps doesn't match either the Apex shafts or the Slazenger Hogan label shafts (which I think are probably rebadged Pro Fits) that I have here. Maybe someone else can help - but I don't think I've ever seen a shaft with steps as widely spaced as 3". I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has seen a set of clubs all with the same length first step - that's surely unusual.

Sorry Baz, 3" steps doesn't match either the Apex shafts or the Slazenger Hogan label shafts (which I think are probably rebadged Pro Fits) that I have here. Maybe someone else can help - but I don't think I've ever seen a shaft with steps as widely spaced as 3". I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has seen a set of clubs all with the same length first step - that's surely unusual.

Mate, thanks for taking the time to check for me though. Appreciated.

Just about to send a few pics of the set. And actually, the woods I think are the best part of the deal. Real nice condition for 40+ year old classic woods.

Here's some pics of the irons 3 - W. Need a bit of a scrub up, but overall not bad for 46 year old clubs. I'll post some of the woods later.

I've included a pic of the shafts & bands. And the last pic shows the difference in head shape from the long irons to the short.

IMG_4634_zps8v6pvqfq.jpg

IMG_4633_zpshmnoziq7.jpg

IMG_4632_zps9rxlajje.jpg

IMG_4631_zpslnvaio3y.jpg

IMG_4635_zpsvjus8zlo.jpg

Another thought. Is it worth doing a paint strip & re-fill? Even if just for practice? Or leave them as they have worn? Maybe even strip and leave them "naked".

I put these pics on the Ben Hogan thread already. Thought I'd better post them here as well.

Slazenger Hogan 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 4 woods that came with the 1+ set.

In great condition. The grips would need replacing, but the soles of them look great and faces excellent.

They have "Poly-Miracle Moulded Power" printed out on the toe of each club.

IMG_4637_zpsijsyzaui.jpg

IMG_4639_zpsivm8bktt.jpg

IMG_4638_zps1lhxdzg2.jpg?t=1481926850

These are like the Macgregor Constantwoods that were Poly , plastic composite, Spalding made some also. There was a guy on Ebay trying to sell a set of Spalding Poly woods as persimmon for some outrageous price like 3k. I dont know how many times I told Ebay he was selling plastic heads as persimmon

Ha! I have a set of the Spaldings like this. You can tell they're a composite, don't see anyone being fooled and buying them.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the irons 3 - W. Need a bit of a scrub up, but overall not bad for 46 year old clubs. I'll post some of the woods later.

I've included a pic of the shafts & bands. And the last pic shows the difference in head shape from the long irons to the short.

IMG_4634_zps8v6pvqfq.jpg

IMG_4633_zpshmnoziq7.jpg

IMG_4632_zps9rxlajje.jpg

IMG_4631_zpslnvaio3y.jpg

IMG_4635_zpsvjus8zlo.jpg

Another thought. Is it worth doing a paint strip & re-fill? Even if just for practice? Or leave them as they have worn? Maybe even strip and leave them "naked".

I'm thinking of strip and repainting a set I have.