Coaches Camp: An Indication of the Direction Golf Instruction is Moving?

Andrew Rice appears to be spearheading a new movement in golf coaching called ' Coaches Camp' in which a panel of esteemed instructors present the latest and most modern information to other golf coaches, professionals, etc. What seems to be the common thread amongst the presenters is they all have strong social media followings and have taken advantage of technological advances to share their information.

The last event included Andrew Rice, Martin Chuck,Dana Dahlquist, and Joseph Mayo and took place over in Europe. Curious if any of you guys attended or plan to attend any future upcoming Coaches Camp events? And how you feel about this new group format in which attendees have the opportunity listen to info and observe instructional techniques from the very best in the industry?

Here's a link someone sent me of footage of the event. Trackman Maestro giving some insight into his background:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting clip from Joe, sat here with popcorn, in before the lock/bitchin starts.

So did you go? I see you're in England. Curious if there was a common instructional theme.

Not a coach, merely a hacker, think mark crossfield was involved in one of the camps in Belgium if I recall correctly?

Edit

I did recall correctly http://www.andrewricegolf.com/belgium/

Andrew Rice appears to be spearheading a new movement in golf coaching called ' Coaches Camp' in which a panel of esteemed instructors present the latest and most modern information to other golf coaches, professionals, etc. What seems to be the common thread amongst the presenters is they all have strong social media followings and have taken advantage of technological advances to share their information.

The last event included Andrew Rice, Martin Chuck,Dana Dahlquist, and Joseph Mayo and took place over in Europe. Curious if any of you guys attended or plan to attend any future upcoming Coaches Camp events? And how you feel about this new group format in which attendees have the opportunity listen to info and observe instructional techniques from the very best in the industry?

Here's a link someone sent me of footage of the event. Trackman Maestro giving some insight into his background:

https://vimeo.com/197194402

The video in the link, that's Trackman Maestro? I'm confused by the timeline of his intro into the game....did I hear it correctly that he was a beginner 2 handicap but teaching lessons on the side after he gave up on the game?

The video in the link, that's Trackman Maestro? I'm confused by the timeline of his intro into the game....did I hear it correctly that he was a beginner 2 handicap but teaching lessons on the side after he gave up on the game?

Was that during the portion where he said his students weren't getting any better during that portion of his teaching career?

Getting to a 2 handicap with no depth perception is no small feat.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Getting to a 2 handicap with no depth perception is no small feat.

I thought when he started posting on here that he said he was a beginner ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

My understanding was that he had spent the entire 90s immersed in the industry and had been teaching since the mid-90s. He appeared to be heavily influenced by Ballard and Flick and he was a 2 when at his best. I think we can put to bed this notion that he was a beginner when he first began posting here.

My understanding was that he had spent the entire 90s immersed in the industry and had been teaching since the mid-90s. He appeared to be heavily influenced by Ballard and Flick and he was a 2 when at his best. I think we can put to bed this notion that he was a beginner when he first began posting here.

Seems like an interesting background....almost as if it's fabricated.....I think the panel of instructors mentioned is an interesting mix. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn and learning from others....but looking at the list....what is one expecting to learn?

Looks like Andrew is changing it up for the next Coach Camp.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/what-is-coach-camp/

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Seems like an interesting background....almost as if it's fabricated.....I think the panel of instructors mentioned is an interesting mix. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn and learning from others....but looking at the list....what is one expecting to learn?

Based on the panelists and their affinity for social media, I assumed the camp was intended to help young aspiring professionals build their brands, personas, reputations from those guys. Almost all the instructors there are heavy into Twitter and Instagram for example. Mayo is most interesting case in that mix given his volume of Twitter followers. Clearly he's been playing and teaching at a high level for quite some time?

I attended something similar but a different mix of instructors that included biomechanist, Mike Adams. The fee was around $1,000 over two days to attend and I have to say was an utter waste of money. It's not like you couldn't get their latest "research" from the internet. It was also a way for these "experts" to pimp the brands that sponsored them, ie. Swing Catalyst, Trackman, and some 3D stuff.

I'm confused. Was the Maestro or wasn't he a pro beach volleyball player?

I'm even more confused....

Wait a minute.....so Mayo actually took lessons from Dahlquist in '09 as a 'beginner'? But just presented on a panel with Dahlquist claiming he had been a teaching professional since the 90s? Thats bizarre....

Wait a minute.....so Mayo actually took lessons from Dahlquist in '09 as a 'beginner'? But just presented on a panel with Dahlquist claiming he had been a teaching professional since the 90s? Thats bizarre....

It would appear so....but surely a room filled with those destined for scholarly accuracy in golf instruction would be able to decipher a fraud or breach of ethical conduct, no? Or could it be that golf instruction is full of unethical charades?

This was from a PGA tour article that seems to clear it up. Seems he was a golfer and then quit for a long time but reading about trackman got him back into it around 2007. So those posts he made were probably accurate in that he was learning to swing again.

"Mayo, who grew up playing baseball, basketball and volleyball, didn’t start paying golf until he was 18. Less than a decade later, however, he quit the game when he saw little improvement despite countless hours of lessons.

Then in 2007 after moving back to Tennessee when his father was diagnosed with cancer, Mayo was reading about an application of Doppler technology that had the capability to measure golf club movement in time and three-dimensional space. He always had an interest in physics and mathematics and the new product proved a perfect marriage to re-kindle his love for the game."

http://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2014/04/30/pat-perez-joe-mayo.html

That picture suggests that this is his post #743. That is a bit strange. Or not?

Whenever that screen was captured, he had 743 posts. Depending on when it was captured, it doesn't mean that post was his 743rd post.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

It would appear so....but surely a room filled with those destined for scholarly accuracy in golf instruction would be able to decipher a fraud or breach of ethical conduct, no? Or could it be that golf instruction is full of unethical charades?

Perhaps a misrepresentation in the past is not as important to those in the know as what he knows now.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Good for them, it's just a little conference, pretty small and I think had the same 4 instructors each time. Not sure they are the best in the insdustry by any means.

These guys are great instructors. Who would you recommend to be there?

they are good but can't really say who's best in industry. Its all preference, some work better for others etc. Alot of really good instructors who aren't on social media.Guys on this forum tend to focus on ones that are popular on social media, which kinda makes sense being this is an online forum.