What is best low priced device to measure club head speed only.

Hi guys. First post in this forum.

I'm curious as to what my club head speed is. So am wondering, what is the best, lowest priced device around to do just this? I'm really not interested in launch angle, ball speed, aoa, etc. Just want something I can measure with when I'm out on the course alone. Thanks for any replies.

I just got the blue radar for my birthday and have only been able to use it once at range so far. It will read 5-8mph faster than actual clubhead speed as it will pick up the fastest moving part of clubface which is the toe of the club.

Biggest misconception going...it will NOT read 5-8 MPH faster. Your club's speed is your club's speed. Whatever the radar picks up is what you are. Sometimes it'll default and pick up the ball speed but you'll know because that number will be way higher.

So many high-priced simulators simply Calculate club speed and don't measure it! Understand?

I just got the blue radar for my birthday and have only been able to use it once at range so far. It will read 5-8mph faster than actual clubhead speed as it will pick up the fastest moving part of clubface which is the toe of the club.

Wrong. The speed it picks up will be your clubhead speed. This has been a constant reply that expensive simulator distributors have brainwashed public into believing.

Wrong. The speed it picks up will be your clubhead speed. This has been a constant reply that expensive simulator distributors have brainwashed public into believing.

He's not wrong. The SSRs, tend to pick up toe side speed, which is not the club head speed at the point of impact, which is what matters. Can they be used to reference speeds to one another? Yes because they are fairly consistent. Are they accurate to the point of saying what the true head speed is at the point of impact? No.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

It's an interesting discussion. Would the toe of the club really be 8 mph faster than a point 2" away? I'd have thought perhaps 2-3 mph.

Anyway, what about getting a swing analyser and use that for club speed? Plus you'll get all the other face, path, AoA stuff too.

Exactly! Thanks for posting this comment. You know what happens when you argue with fools?...

It's an interesting discussion. Would the toe of the club really be 8 mph faster than a point 2" away? I'd have thought perhaps 2-3 mph.

Depends a lot on head size, rate of closure, etc. 2-3 would probably be more the norm, could see a little more depending on what part of the head it picks up.

Anyway, what about getting a swing analyser and use that for club speed? Plus you'll get all the other face, path, AoA stuff too.

Speed is dependent upon length, so you are going to get variances depending upon what is actually used vs what the unit thinks you are using. Drivers, as an example, can vary in length from about 43.5" all the way out to 46"+. Face, path, AoA, etc have been shown to be really inaccurate with the units that are out on the market today, so I would not really give them too much credibility in terms of accuracy.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

Depends a lot on head size, rate of closure, etc. 2-3 would probably be more the norm, could see a little more depending on what part of the head it picks up.

Speed is dependent upon length, so you are going to get variances depending upon what is actually used vs what the unit thinks you are using. Drivers, as an example, can vary in length from about 43.5" all the way out to 46"+. Face, path, AoA, etc have been shown to be really inaccurate with the units that are out on the market today, so I would not really give them too much credibility in terms of accuracy.

What a joke? How fast is a Formula1 car? Well depends on spoiler size? Depends on paint color? If you measure speed of door panel crossing finish line it may vary 2-3 depending on this or that...blah blah blah. It's one object. Speed is speed.

What a joke? How fast is a Formula1 car? Well depends on spoiler size? Depends on paint color? If you measure speed of door panel crossing finish line it may vary 2-3 depending on this or that...blah blah blah. It's one object. Speed is speed.

When we are looking at efficiency of contact, a few MPH makes a pretty big difference in the results.

Do everyone in the thread a favor....AND STOP BEING A TROLL!

Spider Tour X3

really, you think that all parts of the club are traveling at the same speed?

Don't most of these devices allow you to input club lengths? I don't think that they just assume a length unless you leave them at default settings.

Don't most of these devices allow you to input club lengths? I don't think that they just assume a length unless you leave them at default settings.

Okay...input a club length. Where doesthe device go? Below the grip? Well, how long is the grip? There are plenty of different lengths. That's just club head speed. How is it supposed to accurately measure all the other parameters when we have lead bending and toe droop taking place at the complete opposite end of where the device is placed?

That's just some of the issues. You can't really expect a device at the opposite end of the golf club to give accurate measurements.

Spider Tour X3

I'm the furthest from a troll. I'm giving cold hard facts to answer the topic question.

Really, what facts do we have to prove that. If you were truly giving cold hard facts then your responses should be including articles from accredited individuals to back up what you are saying. Otherwise, what you write has no more weight than anyone else in this forum. Maybe you should consider dropping the condescending tone with the words you choose to write, or just not respond if you find the conversation too childish for your level of intellect. Just giving the cold hard facts as I see it.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

He's not wrong. The SSRs, tend to pick up toe side speed, which is not the club head speed at the point of impact, which is what matters. Can they be used to reference speeds to one another? Yes because they are fairly consistent. Are they accurate to the point of saying what the true head speed is at the point of impact? No.

My swing speed sticks have no face to them and nothing that rotates to skew the readings.. The Blue club that is the same weight and length of my 915 gives me the exact same speeds every time. I think that 5-8 mph faster comes into play above 135mph with the radar from all the videos I have watched with the long drive guys. So yes I think it can be off 5-8mph but only up above 135 mph. From the 95-125mph range its dead on in my experience.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

My swing speed sticks have no face to them and nothing that rotates to skew the readings.. The Blue club that is the same weight and length of my 915 gives me the exact same speeds every time. I think that 5-8 mph faster comes into play above 135mph with the radar from all the videos I have watched with the long drive guys. So yes I think it can be off 5-8mph but only up above 135 mph. From the 95-125mph range its dead on in my experience.

There are a lot of variables/potentials for error in your test. You are comparing apples to oranges really. I wouldn't exactly call using two different pieces of equipment, with two different head sizes/shapes, a valid test.

Spider Tour X3

There are a lot of variables/potentials for error in your test. You are comparing apples to oranges really. I wouldn't exactly call using two different pieces of equipment, with two different head sizes/shapes, a valid test.

I'm so sick of this debate regarding swing speed and how it's measured/calculates. What moves is what moves. That's what gets measured.

Both clubs are 45", same grip, same weight shaft and both have 200 grams of metal at the end of them.

Both clubs are 45", same grip, same weight shaft and both have 200 grams of metal at the end of them. Now Im a professional Engineer by trade so Its going to take alot of convincing to sway me.

Here is a video I just posted. Jumped off the couch with no warm up. Swing speed stick vs. 915. Im pretty consistent with my speed and can probably tighten the range once I get warmed up.

http://sendvid.com/am2eqvzx

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Both clubs are 45", same grip, same weight shaft and both have 200 grams of metal at the end of them. Now Im a professional Engineer by trade so Its going to take alot of convincing to sway me.

Here is a video I just posted. Jumped off the couch with no warm up. Swing speed stick vs. 915. Im pretty consistent with my speed and can probably tighten the range once I get warmed up.

http://sendvid.com/am2eqvzx

I talking in terms of head size and shape. You are trying to compare two items that are not the same, and give them a side by side comparison. If you were on two different launch monitors with the same head...okay...but not using two different club types on the same one and expecting to get accurate results.

Spider Tour X3

It doesnt matter! Doppler radar uses frequency measurements and is measuring the highest frequency return. Doppler is not measuring the RCS of an object. The theory is and can proved is the extra vector of rolling your wrists will create a faster echo return because the toe is moving the fasteset which will return the highest frequency return. You can cheat the SSR by doing this and it will indeed show faster swing speeds because part of the head is moving faster due to the extra lever arm distance from the hosel. Now swing the club with a hold off cut swing and the speeds will be lower. But with that being said are you not still measuring the club head speed? In my opinion the Swing Speed sticks should produce the most accurate speed readings.

• Like 1

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I don't even understand this thread.

Unless you were on some hard core long term exercise plan to try and increase club head speed, why would you even care?

Unless it's part of a club fitting it's totally unimportant.

Whatever...

You need some form of measurement to track your progress but also, and more importantly, measure speed of each swing... Your mind needs it. Improving swing speed is more mental change than physical.

• Like 1

I don't even understand this thread.

Unless you were on some hard core long term exercise plan to try and increase club head speed, why would you even care?

Unless it's part of a club fitting it's totally unimportant.

Whatever...

You need some form of measurement to track your progress but also, and more importantly, measure speed of each swing... Your mind needs it. Improving swing speed is more mental change than physical.

What???.. You can think yourself into a faster swing speed? Now I know you're just messing around. It's not possible you're serious. Good Night. It's officially too late for this.

• 3 years later...

Just assuming here but I would guess repeatability is probably more important than accuracy. Maybe he is looking to make changes in his swing to increase club head speed and wants some feed back other than watching the ball flight. Why? Maybe he's hitting into a net.

Titleist TSR3 Driver 

Titleist TS2 3-Wood

Titleist TS2 21 Deg Hybrid

Ping I210 4-PW

Wilson Staff Model 52 Wedge

Wilson Staff Hi-Toe 56, 60 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar Putter