Harbor Town golf - Hilton Head SC

I played HT a few weekends ago. Pete Dye is not my favorite but the conditions are impeccable. Also, in HH everything is resort style, and HT does a good job being playable while obviously still very tight.

It's not very long, so you can shoot a score. Pro shop and locker room are amazing. I tried loading some pics but it didn't work...sorry.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][b]Titleist[/b] 915 D3 8.5* w/Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
[b]Taylormade[/b] R9 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD BB7
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 2 Iron w/[color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Graphite Design Tour AD Utility Driving Iron 95g[/background][/size][/color]
[b]Titleist[/b] 712 AP2 3-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Vokey SM5 58* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist[/b] Vokey SM6 50/54* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback No. 1
[b]Titelist[/b] Prov1x[/font]

The recently redesigned Atlantic Dunes is getting a lot of good reviews from people who's opinion I respect. I don't know what it costs to play there, so you will have to make that call on your own. Harbour Town it a great course - and it was voted the second most popular course by PGA Tour Pros. (Augusta was #1).

I live in Hilton Head. While on vacation, you can't go wrong playing any of the 3 public courses in Sea Pines. The newly designed Atlantic Dunes (used to be the Ocean Course) is nice but a few greens are still a little firm.

The 3 courses in Palmetto Dunes are decent tracks. There are also 4 courses in Hilton Head Plantation that are all worth playing (Oyster Reef, CC of Hilton Head, Bear Creek, and Dolphin Head.....Bear Creek and Dolphin Head used to be private), 1 public course in Indigo Run (Golden bear) that is a decent layout, and 2 courses in Palmetto Hall that are decent. Personally, I would stay clear of the courses in Shipyard and Port Royal Plantation.

If you belong to a private Club at home you can ask your Head Pro to call some of the private tracks here to get on. The public courses here are decent, but the true gems are hidden behind the gates in private communities. If you want a list of the best private Clubs here (if you can get on them) just let me know. There isn't a course here that I haven't played, and most I've played several times.

Have a fun trip!

Edit........Since you're coming in May, the one thing I would suggest to you when calling the Pro Shop for a tee time is to make sure you ask them what condition the course is in and if they have punched yet. Some courses here punch in May. Nothing worse than paying good money to play golf and then you get there and their greens suck.

I live in Hilton Head. While on vacation, you can't go wrong playing any of the 3 public courses in Sea Pines. The newly designed Atlantic Dunes (used to be the Ocean Course) is nice but a few greens are still a little firm.

The 3 courses in Palmetto Dunes are decent tracks. There are also 4 courses in Hilton Head Plantation that are all worth playing (Oyster Reef, CC of Hilton Head, Bear Creek, and Dolphin Head.....Bear Creek and Dolphin Head used to be private), 1 public course in Indigo Run (Golden bear) that is a decent layout, and 2 courses in Palmetto Hall that are decent. Personally, I would stay clear of the courses in Shipyard and Port Royal Plantation.

If you belong to a private Club at home you can ask your Head Pro to call some of the private tracks here to get on. The public courses here are decent, but the true gems are hidden behind the gates in private communities. If you want a list of the best private Clubs here (if you can get on them) just let me know. There isn't a course here that I haven't played, and most I've played several times.

Have a fun trip!

Edit........Since you're coming in May, the one thing I would suggest to you when calling the Pro Shop for a tee time is to make sure you ask them what condition the course is in and if they have punched yet. Some courses here punch in May. Nothing worse than paying good money to play golf and then you get there and their greens suck.

Thank you for the reply. A list would be great. I'll get my pro to call.

Have a fun trip!

Right there in Sea Pines is a nice little private track called Sea Pines CC. It's short and tight, usually in great shape, and fun to play. Just outside the SP gate and down the road is Long Cove. Pete Dye design and probably my favorite course on the island and always in good condition (except when they've punched). Next door to them is Wexford. Another good track but after Arnie came out a few years ago and redid the greens I don't like it as much (way too big and hilly - the only thing missing is the windmill or you'd swear you were at a putt-putt). Indigo Run has a decent private course as well but it's probably my least favorite on island.

If you want to travel off-island, that's where the fun really gets going. Along Rt 278 (on the way to the island) you will pass 3 gated Plantations. 1st will be Berkeley Hall. They have 36 holes of Fazio designed golf and the best practice facility on the east coast. A couple of PGA guys have homes in there just because of the practice facility. Down the street a bit is Belfair. Another 36 holes of Fazio design in terrific condition. Jason Day's caddy lives there and will be seen from time to time (had a welcome home ceremony for him when Jason won the PGA over Spieth). Down the road from there is Colleton River. 18 holes of Pete Dye and another 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus Signature golf. Bagger Vance was filmed there and both courses offer some of the best golf around. Just before the bridge is Moss Creek. 18 holes of George Fazio and another 18 holes of Tom Fazio. One course is short and very tight while the other is a little more open and scenic. Always in great shape. A little farther out (down Rt 46) in the middle of nowhere is a place called Palmetto Bluff. Inside is the May River GC of 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus Signature golf and one of the best courses (condition and layout) that I've ever played. If you head north on Rt 170 there is Oldfield. Greg Norman signature track and very nice. Farther north (towards Beaufort) are a couple of islands called Callawassie and Spring Island. Callawassie has 27 holes of fun to play and very well manicured Fazio golf. On Spring Island is a course called Old Tabby designed by Arnold Palmer. I'm normally not a fan of Palmer courses but this is one of my favorite track around here. It's tucked away in the middle of woods and water, it's usually in fantastic condition and very fun to play. Right in the same area is a little gem called Secession Golf Club. It was designed by Bruce Devlin and is located on some of the finest property in the Low Country. Beautiful course, immaculate conditioning, and it's walking / caddy only. If you like to walk, that's your track. I have a few more I could name but they are getting a little too far away from HHI. However, if you belong to an excellent Club and your Head Pro or GM has some pull, you could ask them to call a Club called Cherokee Plantation which is in Yemassee. It's by far the most exclusive Club I've ever played at, and in 15 years of living here I've only been there twice (and I have a good friend who is buddies with the Pro there but it's still hard to get on). Initiation fee there is a cool $1 million with yearly dues in the $90k range. Last I knew, they only had about a dozen members, but they really don't want or need any more than that. While you're playing, they will detail your car for you (if you want them to) and the food is unbelievable. Beer cart? Nah.........we had wine instead.

The only problem with playing there is, if one of the members shows up, you have to leave the course. I haven't had it happen to me or my group, but I've heard that someone will come out in a cart and get you if a member wants to play. Doesn't matter if you're teeing off on the 16th tee and nobody can see you, if you're not a member and a member shows up, you have to leave. Just the rules.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck and have fun. :)

T-Mac, you live on Hilton head? I want to live on Hilton Head, but my wife keeps mumbling something about humidity making her hair frizz. No humidity in the Texas Panhandle. Sorry, but now I have to hate you.

Yeah, have been here pretty much full time for about 15 years now. My inlaws have owned property here since the early 90's so we vacationed here a lot. One year, my wife and I decided to look for property before heading back home, and it snowballed from there. Still have a place in Chicago (Naperville) but we're hardly there anymore. I'm a General Contractor and business is much better in Hilton Head right now than it is in Chicago.

Sure, it gets hot and humid here in July and Aug but the winters make up for it. We also have the ocean to cool us off when we want. My sister is in San Antonio. Now THAT'S HOT.

Playing Secession, Harbourtown, Chechesse Creek and Berkeley Hall this weekend(Saturday-Monday). Its been ages since I've been to Hilton Head - really looking forward to some great golf and weather.

All great tracks right there. You must either have a connection, a Head Pro at your Club that is willing to make a bunch of calls, or you're a Pro yourself. :)

Have fun!

I played palmetto dunes courses and Harbour Town on a trip. No excitement. Good but not great. Harbour town was bullxxxx. Hit the fairway and have no shot because a tree is in your path. s*** little course.

The Jones Palmetto track is fun. Hills course completely tricked up. Fazio a dog track.

I agree HT was a bit gimmicky, but it's resort golf. I found it much more enjoyable than any of the Palmetto tracks.

RTJ is a must play, if you play it tipped out, I think it's harder than harbor town. I do think HT is totally worth the coin though

I agree RTJ from the tips was tough as hell! Especially when the entire back 9 was into the wind...

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][b]Titleist[/b] 915 D3 8.5* w/Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
[b]Taylormade[/b] R9 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD BB7
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 2 Iron w/[color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Graphite Design Tour AD Utility Driving Iron 95g[/background][/size][/color]
[b]Titleist[/b] 712 AP2 3-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Vokey SM5 58* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist[/b] Vokey SM6 50/54* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback No. 1
[b]Titelist[/b] Prov1x[/font]

Have a fun trip!

Long Cove Club would be at the top for me.

Great breakdown. Any idea what the guest fees are at may river or any other of those you listed?

Just curious. I'll have my pro call

To be honest, I'm not sure what the guest fees are at most of the Clubs here - except my own. Most of the private Clubs here all participate in a great reciprocal program where we can play eachother's courses at a reduced rate that, in most cases, is much less than their normal "guest rate". I would guess that most guest rates are in the 75.00 to 140.00 range. I know May River is pretty pricey. Their normal rates are around 300.00 "in season" and around 200.00 in the off season. A call from your Pro should get a better rate though.

Good luck!

Have a fun trip!

I have never played Long Cove, do they reciprocate with other clubs much?

Have a fun trip!

I have never played Long Cove, do they reciprocate with other clubs much?

They do with other local Clubs. Not sure about anywhere else. I know people from out of town have gotten on there though. Just have your Head Pro call and you'll probably get on for the guest rate as long as they aren't busy.

Beautiful course though. It's my favorite course on the Island. They just had a girls college tournament there with multiple schools participating. Course is usually in fantastic condition and very fun to play. Some nice scenic holes too.

Playing Secession, Harbourtown, Chechesse Creek and Berkeley Hall this weekend(Saturday-Monday). Its been ages since I've been to Hilton Head - really looking forward to some great golf and weather.

All great tracks right there. You must either have a connection, a Head Pro at your Club that is willing to make a bunch of calls, or you're a Pro yourself. :)

Have fun!

I'm coming to play in the Secession Cup this weekend. We're going to play Chechesse Creek & Belfair before. How are those tracks?

Have fun!

I'm coming to play in the Secession Cup this weekend. We're going to play Chechesse Creek & Belfair before. How are those tracks?

Chechesse reminds me a lot of Secession as far as the course and the property. Chechesse is a short track (but some long Par 3's!) but you need good placement of your drives. I haven't been there in a couple years but I remember the greens as being pretty grainy so you have to be aware of which way the grain in flowing. It's usually in great condition and I think you'll really enjoy yourself there. Belfair has 2 Fazio courses, both usually kept in excellent condition. Except for a few holes here and there the courses are pretty straight forward. What you see is what you get...........and what you see is pretty nice. ;)

As far a neighborhoods and golf, I put Belfair on par with Berkeley Hall, with Colleton River maybe a notch above both of them. Just don't tell the homeowners that. ;)

Have fun!

Chechesse reminds me a lot of Secession as far as the course and the property. Chechesse is a short track (but some long Par 3's!) but you need good placement of your drives. I haven't been there in a couple years but I remember the greens as being pretty grainy so you have to be aware of which way the grain in flowing. It's usually in great condition and I think you'll really enjoy yourself there. Belfair has 2 Fazio courses, both usually kept in excellent condition. Except for a few holes here and there the courses are pretty straight forward. What you see is what you get...........and what you see is pretty nice. ;)

As far a neighborhoods and golf, I put Belfair on par with Berkeley Hall, with Colleton River maybe a notch above both of them. Just don't tell the homeowners that. ;)

I use to work at Colleton River, do not get my started on the members there.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Have fun!

I use to work at Colleton River, do not get my started on the members there.

Oh do share!! We are nearing retirement and have looked at Berkeley Hall, Belfair and CR. One thing kind of freaked me out a bit at BH. My son and I were playing the North course and after we finsh we ask if we can go play a few holes on the south course to see how that one is different from the North (LOVE the north course by the way). The kid gets a concerned look on his face and suggests maybe we can play one and nine. He says if we play, tomorrow a member will come to find out who was out on the course. WTF? The members check the freaking tee sheets? That seemed really unfriendly to me and spooked us a bit

h do share!! We are nearing retirement and have looked at Berkeley Hall, Belfair and CR. One thing kind of freaked me out a bit at BH. My son and I were playing the North course and after we finsh we ask if we can go play a few holes on the south course to see how that one is different from the North (LOVE the north course by the way). The kid gets a concerned look on his face and suggests maybe we can play one and nine. He says if we play, tomorrow a member will come to find out who was out on the course. WTF? The members check the freaking tee sheets? That seemed really unfriendly to me and spooked us a bit

You have a handful of a-holes at any private club. I know the folks at BH and they are, almost without exception, really great folks.

I'm a General Contractor and do work in all of these Plantations / neighborhoods (in fact, I'm doing work in Berkeley Hall right now). I would say that the majority of the people in all 3 of those communities are terrific folks. As mentioned, when you're talking about a private Club you're going to have your share of a-holes and people who think their $hit doesn't stink - especially at Clubs of that caliber. But then again, these folks are paying some pretty significant POA / Club fees, so I can't say that I blame them for being a little snooty and wanting to make sure their course(s) stay in top condition. I play golf at all of the Clubs here and I have never had any issues with the members at any of them. Not only do I play courses through our reciprocal program, but I also know a lot of guys in the golf business and will play with them, totally comped, and I don't get razzed by the Clubs or the members at all. Of course, they know that I always take care of their cart guy after the round, so that may help. ;)

Happy to hear that. The weather was a little blustery the day we played so we didn't meet a lot of members but loved the vibe at the clubhouse pub room etc. I just found it so odd that a member would come out the next morning to see who was on the course. We belong to a nice club up here and I just can't imagine that ever happening.

We have owned a place down there for 22 years now and have never run into any jerks. Something about the low country vibe that works for us.

The biggest question is going to be do we want to be on the island or the mainland. If its the island, it would most likely be Long Cove. Off island, BH or CR with Oldfield as a longshot.