2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ASK QUESTIONS: Live Q&A with Srixon Golf Balls!

At various times in the past year, I have played the Z-Star, the Q-Star, and the Soft Feel. Of the three, the Q-Star was the least responsive for me. I'm interested in trying the new Q-Star Tour. What changes should I expect to see from prior versions of the Q-Star that would differentiate this ball from its predecessors?

From JB:

Great question because we want to make sure people understand that this Q-STAR TOUR is significantly different than the Q-STAR. They are both in the Q- family, which means they are likely best for average swing speed players (as opposed to the Z- family, for higher swing speeds). The major difference is the new Q-STAR TOUR ball has a urethane cover, whereas the Q-STAR has an ionomer cover. The urethane cover is a softer, tour-caliber cover, which means that ball will have a lot more spin around the greens and on approach shots as compared to the Q-STAR.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the Q-STAR Tour be available in Tour Yellow? A lot of the people that will play this ball will have slower (than tour) swing speeds and would benefit from using a yellow ball.

From DB:

The Q-STAR Tour will not be available in Tour Yellow in this first generation. We do appreciate that feedback and are definitely going to take it into account, thank you!

I played a loved the ad333. The qstar was solid, but for some reason was never quite the same. I can't pinpoint why-but could you compare the new qstar tour to the ad333 of old and the regular qstar? Big srixon/Cleveland fan here.

From JB:

Good question. The TOUR balls have urethane covers, whereas the AD333 and Q-STAR have ionomer covers. Thanks!

For someone who swings the driver between 95-103, would the Q Star Tour be a better fit vs the Z Star? Also, would playing the driver at different lofts (9.5 vs 10.5) make any performance difference?

From DB:

It’s not simply head-speed driven. As a 95-103 mph swing speed you’re looking in the right place considering Z-STAR and Q-STAR TOUR. What you’ll want to consider is whether ball speed or spin/launch will give you the most distance and control. If you generate a lot of spin than the Q-STAR TOUR will knock down more of that spin giving you longer carry and straighter drivers. If your spin and launch angle are squared away then a little extra ball speed can be gained with the slightly firmer Z-STAR. Similar with the different lofts. At a particular head speed there are ball speed, launch angles, and spin rates that will lead to the longest carry. Which loft gets you to those parameters naturally is the one you should play, and requires a launch monitor and fitting. Good chance at your swing speeds you probably have no problem getting the ball in the air and get decent ball speed but likely generate too much spin, in which case a Q-STAR TOUR with a lower lofted driver may be worth a try.

Very interested to try the ball. Usually play ProV1 for the greenside spin, but I would like a little softer ball that flies a little longer. I don't really understand why most other urethane covered softer balls (RX for example) do not seem to spin as well on shorter shots. Could you explain why that is generally (softer= less spin), and what you have done to address that in the Q-Star Tour? Or am I just imaging that phenomenon? I would think a softer bal would spin more, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry if these are dumb questions

- but I look forward to trying the ball.

From JB:

No, these are great questions. This stuff is confusing because people use the term “soft” differently. There are soft covers and soft balls (low compression). The greenside spin is really most dependent on the soft covers, but compression matters a bit too. The Q-STAR TOUR is very competitive in greenside spin with the Tour balls like ProV1 and Z-STAR, but it’s not quite as high for those reasons you mention. We’ve shown this data on our website using independent testing. For most average players, the difference is basically negligible, but each player should test and compare for their own game. For the cost difference, the Q-STAR TOUR is a pretty compelling alternative.

As a high spin player I often fight keeping my wedges with correct ball flight on full swings. I live in windy Oklahoma and probably should try some different golf balls this year. I see you advertise Q-Star Tour for moderate swing speeds. Just curious what Srixon believes is moderate swing speed vs. high swing speed? Thanks.

From MR:

Moderate swing speed as we look at it, and based on our Launch Squad testing over the last 12 or so years, would be between 75mph and 95mph. High swing speed would be anything above that given range.

Will any of your staffers put this ball in play? Will it come close to the XV Performance-wise for high speed players? Thanks!

From JB:

With the Q-STAR TOUR being designed for average swing speed players, you won’t be seeing it in play on the PGA Tour. However, a number of Champions Tour players are still testing and evaluating it, so if anywhere, that’s where it’s most likely to show up. It is also being tested by some LPGA players. It’s a pretty different animal compared to the XV – both balls spin around the greens very well, but they are designed for significantly different swing speeds.

Hey guys,

Thanks for doing this. I currently use the Z Star XV and am a big fan, especially in the wind. My question is, was Q Star Tour developed to fill a gap in terms of the different balls you offer, or is it more of an evolution of your recent offerings? It seems to be very versatile in that it could work well for a larger segment of golfers and in different conditions. Thanks a bunch.

I have played the Q Star on and off since I found them back in 2012. Two seasons straight the ball was my go to ball and in my bag, as I loved the just right spin level, trajectory and the distance. In 2014, the ball seemed to fly a little shorter for me and from what I could tell it seemed to spin more. Perhaps my swing changed slightly, but I attributed it to a change in the ball. I was recently fit for new irons and I was told to get a ball that wasn't super high spin. If I were to put the Q Star's back into play, which of the new offerings would be a mid flight lower spin option? Do you have demo days anywhere? Thank you in advance.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Very interested to try the ball. Usually play ProV1 for the greenside spin, but I would like a little softer ball that flies a little longer. I don't really understand why most other urethane covered softer balls (RX for example) do not seem to spin as well on shorter shots. Could you explain why that is generally (softer= less spin), and what you have done to address that in the Q-Star Tour? Or am I just imaging that phenomenon? I would think a softer bal would spin more, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry if these are dumb questions

- but I look forward to trying the ball.

One other thing!

A big benefit for the Q-STAR TOUR compared to these urethane cover golf balls is the overall value proposition -- at $29.99/dozen, it is at least $10 less per box than the tour-style models out there!

Between the Qstar line and the Zstar lines, how much less will the Qstar line spin vs the Zstar line??

I prefer a lower spin ball with my steep angle of attack and hate when I spin wedges off of greens.

Thanks in advance!!

From DB:

The Q-STAR TOUR does have less greenside spin than our Z-STAR lineup. However it is extremely competitive compared to premium golf balls, in the same ballpark. So if you want to knock off significant amounts of greenside spin (which isn’t the normal request) then you can give Q-STAR TOUR a try, but it may not be enough. I would also warn you that unless you’re hitting all fairways you’ll likely want to keep that maximum greenside spin out of the rough, so maybe consider what you wish for!

Thank you to Srixon for doing this! I am interested in the design of the ball compared to the z star. Both are three-piece, urethane cover balls, so how is the q-star tour composed differently (in mantle and core, etc.) to make it better for slower swing speeds?

From MR:

Good question. The Q-STAR TOUR is manufactured using the same process as our Z-Star series balls but the main different is with the core – It’s a lower-compression core, which means it will compress easier for golfers with slower swing speeds. That means that these golfers will be able to optimize launch conditions and flight performance better than they would with a higher-compression Z-STAR or XV. This will provide them with more distance on full swings. This is the main difference. With this ball, we wanted to ensure that the feel was excellent, the greenside spin control was excellent but the ball was easier to compress so more golfers could achieve better distance off the tee and especially with their irons. This ball is very long off the irons.

I switched over to the Z Star several years ago and have not found ANY premium ball that will outperform this ball in the last 3 years period. I always encourage others in my group playinh a premium ball to give one a try. If I wanted to point players in the direction of the new Q Star or Q Star Tour, what is the "player profile" that you think will benefit most from this new generation Q Star? Thanks for this chat opportunity and great concept on the 6-pack trial packaging this year, especially at such a modest price point, that enabled people to try both the Z and Q product lines.

From JB:

Glad to hear you’re spreading the good word about the best balls in golf! The player profile: average swing speed, wants great greenside spin, or someone who fights slices and hooks and would benefit from a more “forgiving” low-dispersion ball.

With the recent addition of adding a urethane cover to the Qstar, how much of a difference can we come to expect in spin rate comparisons between the Qstar and the Zstar/xv?

Urethane alone typically adds a lot of extra bite translating into spin, so how much of a role do the extra Zstar layers play in the balls spin rates?

From DB:

The Q-STAR TOUR with a urethane cover and Spin Skin technology will have nearly the same greenside spin as the Z-STAR and Z-STAR XV. The design of all of the layers and properties are what allow golf balls to be new year after year. All layers play an effect and different combinations of layer properties lead to different results. The cover layer and coating technology most correlate to greenside control whereas the core most relates to ball speed and driver spin. But it’s not really that simple!

thanks for another Q&A! i've had great success with the zstar XV so far this year (especially in the wind!), but i like the price point of the QStar. i'm a bit of an outlier, as the XV spins just fine for me and my non-tour-esque swing speed. the regular zstar ended up being to mushy for me - had a hard time getting putts to the hole.

what is the QStar's "mushy" factor? if it's softer than the zstar, then it's unfortunately not going to work out.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Great ball. I imagine it takes an extreme effort to stay relevant in the top tier of golf ball manufactures.

I was wondering, in your opinion, what do you think of Hidecki's chances of winning a major this year?

From JB:

If you didn’t know, there’s only one other brand of golf ball in the world that has won as many global professional tournaments as Srixon in the last three years. Consider that fact, as well as the fact that it has been accomplished with a relatively small Tour staff. Hideki looks like his chances are better than ever this year – played great Sunday at Augusta and hopefully rides that momentum into coming months!

When designing a ball like the Q Star (or Z Star for that matter), do you have a pretty good idea of how the ball will perform based on the design/materials before you even go into prototyping? How long are the lead times from original design idea to prototyping and testing to prove out?

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us today!!! This is too cool.

- ZZ (Z Star matches my initials perfectly!)

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

I wanted to say thank you for doing the 6-packs. What a great thing for the consumer (including me!!) Do you have plans to continue doing this in the future?

From MR:

Thanks for noticing, and we appreciate your support.

Yes, we plan to continue the 6-pack program with every new ball launch. It’s a great way to seed the ball and give golfers a chance to play a decent quantity of the golf balls prior to launch, develop a qualified opinion of the product and determine if they want to start using that ball as their regular gamer.

I wanted to say thank you for doing the 6-packs. What a great thing for the consumer (including me!!) Do you have plans to continue doing this in the future?

From MR:

Thanks for noticing, and we appreciate your support.

Yes, we plan to continue the 6-pack program with every new ball launch. It’s a great way to seed the ball and give golfers a chance to play a decent quantity of the golf balls prior to launch, develop a qualified opinion of the product and determine if they want to start using that ball as their regular gamer.

Thank you for this! This makes it so much easier to test a new ball... its MUCH better than trying to find a buddy to split a box with!

Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

Where are the biggest differences between this new ball and the Z-Star line? What golfer are these balls aimed at specifically? Are there any shared technologies between the Z star and this line?

I am a huge fan of the Z Star line, and am excited to try this out at some point! Thanks for taking the time to chat today.

From DB:

The Q-STAR TOUR in many ways is a softer version of the Z-STAR. It’s a three-piece ball with a urethane cover, EGG technology, Spin Skin technology, and premium dimple patterns. Thus with the softer core we’re looking to target the players looking for premium golf balls who don’t have tour swing speeds.

Very interested to try this ball as I love the Z-star XV, even though compression may be a bit low for my swing speed. Could be a perfect spring/fall ball.

I understand the impact of multiple layers on the cost of a golf ball, but I never understood cover materials driving costs as much as they do. It seems that Srixon was able to find a compromise. Are there unique processes that need to be used to manufacture a ball with a urethane cover as compared to an ionomer cover?

From JB:

Yes, layers and cover material do impact the cost of a golf ball. Manufacturing a thin and soft urethane cover is more difficult and intensive than making an ionomer cover. However, the reason the Q-STAR TOUR is priced so low is more of a business decision than a manufacturing breakthrough. Golfers with average swing speeds are a huge group of players in the market, and we want this golf ball to have mass appeal from a pricing standpoint. It’s a serious value proposition.

Where are the biggest differences between this new ball and the Z-Star line? What golfer are these balls aimed at specifically? Are there any shared technologies between the Z star and this line?

I am a huge fan of the Z Star line, and am excited to try this out at some point! Thanks for taking the time to chat today.

From DB:

The Q-STAR TOUR in many ways is a softer version of the Z-STAR. It’s a three-piece ball with a urethane cover, EGG technology, Spin Skin technology, and premium dimple patterns. Thus with the softer core we’re looking to target the players looking for premium golf balls who don’t have tour swing speeds.

Awesome to hear! I have exclusively switched to playing Srixon because of how much I love the new Z star... keep up the great work, guys!

Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

I played a round with a sleeve of the old AD333 this weekend and felt like I was still leaving some distance on the table. How does the Q-Star compare to the Soft Feel in terms of compression and transferring into ball speed for slow swing speed players like myself?

From DB:

The Q-STAR TOUR has higher compression than our SOFT FEEL and will generate faster ball speeds. The Q-STAR TOUR also has a urethane cover versus SOFT FEEL having an ionomer cover. So you’ll also get more greenside spin which benefits all swing speed players!

Long time z-star user here with a slower swing speed that tops out at around 105. Understanding that the urethane cover will lead to similar performance between the z and q tour models around the greens, what are the primary differences that I might experience on full shots in terms of flight (dimple related?) and distance (compression related)? How would those same differences apply to someone with a swing speed of around 90?

From JB:

105mph is not that slow – give yourself some credit! The lower compression ball is going to end up launching higher and spinning less on full shots. The benefit would be longer distance on full shots for a lot of average swing speed golfers, even though lower compression balls tend to have slightly lower ball speed. One trade-off of that higher launch/lower spin on full shots is that it doesn’t hold greens as well on those 6-iron, 5-iron or longer shots. A Z-STAR player with your swing speed might prefer to stick with the Z-STAR for that reason. For a lot of average swing speed players who struggle with accuracy and distance, the Q-STAR TOUR is clearly the better option.

With the Q-Star Tour coming out and your previous successful models, there seems to be more balls than ever to choose from for the everyday golfer. Where do see the ball fitting opportunities going in the future to truly get golfers into the right model and becoming loyal customers? It seems many things have been tried to sample packs, online fittings and charts and graphs. I wonder if there are more personal opportunities to improve upon this.

From MR:

Very true. There is, with some manufacturers, genuine interest in taking the experience further and really trying to help inform people and fit people in the correct ball for their game. For 2017 we have a new Field Service program that is happening across the country in which our field service reps, in conjunction with our sales force, are conducting ball fittings at golf courses everywhere. The goal is to elevate that person-to-person relationship with golfers and hopefully help them achieve some clarity on ball performance and better understand what ball performance aspects are important for them and can help them improve their game. I think the best opportunities will still come from personal interaction with golfers and our ability to understand that every golfer is different and not all golfers are looking for the same things in a golf ball as it relates to their individual game. Identifying how golfers can improve through their ball choice is critical.

How do the spin characteristics of the Q Star Tour, Q Star, and Soft Feel compare to each other?

From JB:

The Soft Feel and Q-STAR are both ionomer cover balls which will spin significantly less around the greens as compared to the Q-STAR Tour with its urethane cover. Off the tee, the Soft Feel is the lowest spinning.

Hey guys,

Thanks for doing this. I currently use the Z Star XV and am a big fan, especially in the wind. My question is, was Q Star Tour developed to fill a gap in terms of the different balls you offer, or is it more of an evolution of your recent offerings? It seems to be very versatile in that it could work well for a larger segment of golfers and in different conditions. Thanks a bunch.

From DB:

You’re pretty spot on! The Q-STAR TOUR is a versatile ball that bridges a gap between premium tour level balls and two piece ionomer balls. The price point allows for players not interested in paying for tour golf balls with premium greenside spin to have an option and the lower compression makes the ball play better for the average player that is, but really shouldn’t be, playing tour golf balls.

Long time z-star user here with a slower swing speed that tops out at around 105. Understanding that the urethane cover will lead to similar performance between the z and q tour models around the greens, what are the primary differences that I might experience on full shots in terms of flight (dimple related?) and distance (compression related)? How would those same differences apply to someone with a swing speed of around 90?

From JB:

105mph is not that slow – give yourself some credit! The lower compression ball is going to end up launching higher and spinning less on full shots. The benefit would be longer distance on full shots for a lot of average swing speed golfers, even though lower compression balls tend to have slightly lower ball speed. One trade-off of that higher launch/lower spin on full shots is that it doesn’t hold greens as well on those 6-iron, 5-iron or longer shots. A Z-STAR player with your swing speed might prefer to stick with the Z-STAR for that reason. For a lot of average swing speed players who struggle with accuracy and distance, the Q-STAR TOUR is clearly the better option.

Thanks guys, great Q&A here. I average closer to 100 so it sounds like I could go either way, looking forward to testing this weekend. Side note, 765 irons are the best in golf, keep up the great work Srixon/Cleveland!

I have played the Q Star on and off since I found them back in 2012. Two seasons straight the ball was my go to ball and in my bag, as I loved the just right spin level, trajectory and the distance. In 2014, the ball seemed to fly a little shorter for me and from what I could tell it seemed to spin more. Perhaps my swing changed slightly, but I attributed it to a change in the ball. I was recently fit for new irons and I was told to get a ball that wasn't super high spin. If I were to put the Q Star's back into play, which of the new offerings would be a mid flight lower spin option? Do you have demo days anywhere? Thank you in advance.

From MR:

Good question. I highly recommend that you give the Q-STAR TOUR a try. Although the Q-STAR is a fairly low-spinning ball, the Q-STAR TOUR has even lower driver and full shot spin. That’s why it goes so far off the tee and off the irons. I think you will be very pleased with the results and how it helps your ball flight.

You can find out where and when our demo days/ball fittings are happening by accessing the following link:

http://www.srixon.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Srixon-Site/en_US/Events-Find