2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

September Scotland Trip Aberdeen Area

So last year we did the St Andrews and Muirfield trips Which was fantastic.

This year we are flying into Aberdeen.

We are doing the following:

1) Panmure

2) Carnoustie Championship staying two nights at the hotel at Carnoustie

3) Murcar Links

4) Royal Aberdeen

5) Cruden Bay or Trump Links.

All have played Cruden and loved it. 2 of us want to do Cruden the other 2 Trump. But after watching "You've been trumped", it sickens 2 of us to give that club any money after watching what they did and are still doing to their neighbours.

We are doing the Heathlands next year, any other suggestions near Aberdeen or within 1:30 someone would recommend???

Regards

Andre

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two sides to every story and the vast majority of locals were/are in favour of Trump and what he brought/is bringing to the area in terms of jobs, investment and money.

Trump Aberdeen should be on your agenda regardless of your opinion of the man.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I like to keep my politics and my 3 putt bogeys separate. Cruden is a fantastic layout but Trump is a cut above for a modern links course, I play it every single time I get the chance. Royal Dornoch would be another bucket list course but it probably busts your 90 minute rule. Great line up, you won't be disappointed.

My University Team has their residence at Panmure GC, and Hogan once said that the 6th hole there was one of the best in the country. The pot bunker still has his name. Have a great time.

Panmure:

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I would play the Trump as well. Not been there myself but good friends whose opinion I would trust say it is amazing although tough.

As I always post in these type of threads, I would play Moray Old if anywhere inside 90 minutes from it. My favourite course here in Scotland. Beautiful design with a nice mix of easy and challenging holes.

I agree with the other post as well, Monifieth and Montrose are very nice as well and a great challenge if breezy.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

I agree Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch over Carnoustie and Panmure. I hate to blow up your trip.

Carnoustie is very good and if it is windy you won't find a tougher course anywhere.

I am not all that keen on Panmure myself but others do like it and the twice I was there I played bad so that can sometimes fudge your view of a course.

Castle Stuart is great but expensive.

As regards Trump, well stopping short of anything political, I'm a strong believer that our human principals in life are what defines us as humans, and whether you are right or wrong, they are what defines you. So, I would say hold true to those principals, as what other peoples opinion of right or wrong, is entirely irrelevant to those held principals.

A round of Golf can never be allowed to influence those principals. However, you wouldn't want to ruin your travel partners desire to Play Trump Links either, so obviously that is the delicate issue. But no harm in them going off to play Trump Links and you and the other travel partner go off and play Cruden.

I do agree that Montrose and Monifieth Medal are worth the trip, in fact I enjoy Monifieth more than Panmure for some reason and yet they are located on the same piece of land and are very similar of nature. Maybe Monifieth has been allowed in my psyche to fit my eye better, who knows.

And just to throw another in the mix, I would suggest Fraserburgh GC, I've only played there once, but for the money, it's a cracker, and the welcome I had there was superb. Really good track.

As regards Trump, well stopping short of anything political, I'm a strong believer that our human principals in life are what defines us as humans, and whether you are right or wrong, they are what defines you. So, I would say hold true to those principals, as what other peoples opinion of right or wrong, is entirely irrelevant to those held principals.

A round of Golf can never be allowed to influence those principals. However, you wouldn't want to ruin your travel partners desire to Play Trump Links either, so obviously that is the delicate issue. But no harm in them going off to play Trump Links and you and the other travel partner go off and play Cruden.

I do agree that Montrose and Monifieth Medal are worth the trip, in fact I enjoy Monifieth more than Panmure for some reason and yet they are located on the same piece of land and are very similar of nature. Maybe Monifieth has been allowed in my psyche to fit my eye better, who knows.

And just to throw another in the mix, I would suggest Fraserburgh GC, I've only played there once, but for the money, it's a cracker, and the welcome I had there was superb. Really good track.

They are good points but I wouldn't want to miss out on a world class course because of my principles (if I had any) ;-)

I tend to agree with the post made by TheCraw, the majority of people in the area, from what I have heard, are very happy with the investment by Trump and what it brings to the local economy and the documentary from one side only.

Don't play all the great courses in the area, you'll want to come back once Jack is finished with the Ury Estate. Something very special indeed. I've seen the land first hand.

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/uryestate/

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

They are good points but I wouldn't want to miss out on a world class course because of my principles (if I had any) ;-)

I tend to agree with the post made by TheCraw, the majority of people in the area, from what I have heard, are very happy with the investment by Trump and what it brings to the local economy and the documentary from one side only.

Then I would respect that view too. If your principles on this matter are not as strong as the OP, then of course Trump Links would be a serious consideration. However, if an individuals principles are strong then the issue of World Class Golf Course may be of less relevance, and should be given equal respect.

On the issue of the locals in the area, I do agree with the Craw, who I have often shared much common ground in the past, but I would add to that, just because the majority of people in the area MAY be reasonably happy and satisfied with what the Course has brought to the area, that should not be at the expense of the minority who's lives may have been destroyed or very least detrimentally affected, and that should not be understated just because they are in the minority, they're still human beings too.

Then I would respect that view too. If your principles on this matter are not as strong as the OP, then of course Trump Links would be a serious consideration. However, if an individuals principles are strong then the issue of World Class Golf Course may be of less relevance, and should be given equal respect.

On the issue of the locals in the area, I do agree with the Craw, who I have often shared much common ground in the past, but I would add to that, just because the majority of people in the area MAY be reasonably happy and satisfied with what the Course has brought to the area, that should not be at the expense of the minority who's lives may have been destroyed or very least detrimentally affected, and that should not be understated just because they are in the minority, they're still human beings too.

I think it is easy to get carried away by 'topical' principles though and many of the things we use could be linked to people or ideas we don't like. Look at the current annoyance with FB and Google with them showing images or videos linked to child abuse or terrorism. It would be easy to avoid these as well but they are pretty useful so we would suffer ourselves.

I just think it is best to leave politics and things like that out of these decisions and look only at the course itself.

I agree that everyone is different though and for some, they would maybe regret going one way or the other.

I think it is easy to get carried away by 'topical' principles though and many of the things we use could be linked to people or ideas we don't like. Look at the current annoyance with FB and Google with them showing images or videos linked to child abuse or terrorism. It would be easy to avoid these as well but they are pretty useful so we would suffer ourselves.

I just think it is best to leave politics and things like that out of these decisions and look only at the course itself.

I agree that everyone is different though and for some, they would maybe regret going one way or the other.

And you have every right to keep politics out these decisions, you are not wrong, because if that stance is right for you, then you are 100% correct, but just as much as others may hold stronger principles and feel it's just too much for them swallow. They are absolutely right too, and no-one should endeavour to influence that persons ideals.

Personally, I am strong believer that if somebody's principles are very strong, even though they may or may not agree with my own, then they have every right to exercise those principles in any way they see fit, and that they should never be compromised for a game of golf. There are plenty of world class golf courses in Scotland alone, with absolutely no recourse on ever feeling short-changed. And I would entirely support the principles of the OP if he decided that playing at Trump Links was below the level of importance to his own personal principles. On the other hand, I would equally support you, if you decided that they were not. :taunt:

And you have every right to keep politics out these decisions, you are not wrong, because if that stance is right for you, then you are 100% correct, but just as much as others may hold stronger principles and feel it's just too much for them swallow. They are absolutely right too, and no-one should endeavour to influence that persons ideals.

Personally, I am strong believer that if somebody's principles are very strong, even though they may or may not agree with my own, then they have every right to exercise those principles in any way they see fit, and that they should never be compromised for a game of golf. There are plenty of world class golf courses in Scotland alone, with absolutely no recourse on ever feeling short-changed. And I would entirely support the principles of the OP if he decided that playing at Trump Links was below the level of importance to his own personal principles. On the other hand, I would equally support you, if you decided that they were not. :taunt:

I do agree with you and if it would bug someone then they are best to go with their gut feelings.

The trouble with some things these days though is that the principles of many minority groups actually dictate the way things are run for the vast majority. Organizations are just too afraid to tell them to p**s off and get a life.

I remember when young some of my friends wouldn't buy records or listen to bands that were against their football team or supported their rival team but I just thought that was stupid and listened to the music I liked regardless. That is my view with most things, rightly or wrongly.

Yes well, I understand where you're coming from, even if I think there is a world of difference between football team allegiances and the buying of a bands' records, and the minority that we're talking about here are ones that may have had their whole lives destroyed, had livelihoods taken away after generations of their families in the area, some have been harassed and bullied by the Police and Security staff with no provocation etc etc . So, maybe the issue of a bands' football team allegiances, are not quite in the same ball park for some people , but I understand your point.

Yes well, I understand where you're coming from, even if I think there is a world of difference between football team allegiances and the buying of a bands' records, and the minority that we're talking about here are ones that may have had their whole lives destroyed, had livelihoods taken away after generations of their families in the area, some have been harassed and bullied by the Police and Security staff with no provocation etc etc . So, maybe the issue of a bands' football team allegiances, are not quite in the same ball park for some people , but I understand your point.

Things like that have always happened though, maybe with compulsory purchases when the government builds new roads or railways or if a group of gypsies decide to set up home on some peoples land and many will be disrupted and even had their life made hell. I am not saying it is right either.

Remember as well, many people have been murdered because of their team allegiances so for some it can be very serious indeed whereas the people near the course were offered a substantial amount of compensation.

I'll buck the trend here and say I was left rather flat and disappointed with Castle Stuart. I think the finishing holes just didn't cut the mustard for me. The holes on the Moray Firth are absolutely stunning, beautiful golf holes and stunning location.

I just feel that once you climbed up that monstrous hill to the closing holes it turned into a St Andrews Bay cliff top course.

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

I'll buck the trend here and say I was left rather flat and disappointed with Castle Stuart. I think the finishing holes just didn't cut the mustard for me. The holes on the Moray Firth are absolutely stunning, beautiful golf holes and stunning location.

I just feel that once you climbed up that monstrous hill to the closing holes it turned into a St Andrews Bay cliff top course.

I still really like the back nine on Castle Stuart but the last couple of holes are tough but not great.

Everyone is different about courses and one I go against the normal view with is Crail. I just don't like it at all. There are a few decent holes but I would be delighted if I never had to play it again.

So last year we did the St Andrews and Muirfield trips Which was fantastic.

This year we are flying into Aberdeen.

We are doing the following:

1) Panmure

2) Carnoustie Championship staying two nights at the hotel at Carnoustie

3) Murcar Links

4) Royal Aberdeen

5) Cruden Bay or Trump Links.

All have played Cruden and loved it. 2 of us want to do Cruden the other 2 Trump. But after watching "You've been trumped", it sickens 2 of us to give that club any money after watching what they did and are still doing to their neighbours.

We are doing the Heathlands next year, any other suggestions near Aberdeen or within 1:30 someone would recommend???

Regards

Andre

Castle Stuart is 100 miles and 2 and a half hours from Aberdeen.

Instead If you have time to add a round you should head to Fraserburgh. You won't regret it. 7th oldest golf club in the world. It's a fabulous links 45 miles and 60 mins from Aberdeen and it will cost you a pittance to play. At least as much fun as Cruden Bay. Were it not so isolated in the very northeast tip of Grampian it would be much more highly appreciated and rated.

http://www.fraserbur...ll_gallery.html

Regrading the choice between Cruden Bay and Trump:

I played both on my last trip to Scotland three years ago. I had played Cruden Bay once before. If I was going back to the Aberdeen Area, I would definitely play Cruden Bay again and skip Trump. But, I can say that because I have played Trump. I do think it is a course worth playing once.

My problem with Trump is that I felt like I had played the course before. I have played a lot of golf in Arizona. Trump reminded me of the desert links courses--the dunes in Scotland have grass instead of cactus, but the over all feel was similar. The dunes at Trump are spectacular, but the sea really doesn't figure in play. Only one hole (the par three 3rd) comes close to the water. The views at trump are of dunes land, with peak views of the water on some holes. At Cruden Bay, the water is an integral part of the course.

If you are going to Scotland to experience true links golf, then Cruden Bay is the way to go. If you want to experience a modern update of links golf, then try Trump. It might be worth it just to have the comparison. My group has debated the relative merits of both courses on many occasions and it has provided a good topic of discussion over many drams of scotch.

Nairn is a must! And Royal Dornoch is not far away either. Boat of Garten is a fascinating course and you also have Kinguisse where Harry Vardon was a member i believe.

There are loads of small local 9 hole courses too which are extremely enjoyable and cheap.

Nairn is a must! And Royal Dornoch is not far away either. Boat of Garten is a fascinating course and you also have Kinguisse where Harry Vardon was a member i believe.

There are loads of small local 9 hole courses too which are extremely enjoyable and cheap.

I know this is a small country but Nairn is 2 hours from Aberdeen and it's 3 hours to Dornoch.

I know this is a small country but Nairn is 2 hours from Aberdeen and it's 3 hours to Dornoch.

It is a really nice drive though and not a problem if only playing one round.

My friends and I would sometimes drive up to Boat of Garten, play 2 rounds then head home in the one day. 5-6hr total driving for us.

Not ideal I know but would even be worth it to stay overnight in Nairn or Inverness. The courses are well worth the trip.

Not played Fraserburgh but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Nairn is the most overrated golf course I've played. Nice location, decent greens but so uninspiring and disappointing. Can't figure out why it gets rated so highly by some. Like the course itself I left dealing flat.

Aberdeen area, for a contrast look at Newmacher, tough inland track usually in great condition.

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

Nairn is the most overrated golf course I've played. Nice location, decent greens but so uninspiring and disappointing. Can't figure out why it gets rated so highly by some. Like the course itself I left dealing flat.

Aberdeen area, for a contrast look at Newmacher, tough inland track usually in great condition.

I don't mind Nairn West but if the greens weren't as good it doesn't really have a lot else and not one I would rush to play myself for the money. Nairn Dunbar has more character for me and is pretty tough in a wind.

I agree on Newmacher, great course with some tight holes through the trees and well designed doglegs and nice use of water hazards. Quite a tough track though but well worth the visit.

I have never played the newer Swailend course though so don't know what that is like.

Yes Nairn is marmite, and I've had many a lively debate over it.

Even though I enjoyed it because the greens were the best I have ever played on I was surprised at the reputation it had because there are not many memorable holes and only the couple of holes that hill that change it up a bit.

I prefer Nairn Dunbar and my favoirite course is Moray Old. I remember playing three rounds in one day for £18!!! It was back around the late 80's when I was 20 years old.

We had a few great golfing holidays based at Rothes with some friends and loved the courses in the Moray region.