2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade Burner

» SuperFast Technology reduces total club weight to 299 grams from average of 320 and promotes faster swing speed for added drive-crushing distance

» Advanced bullet-shaped clubhead incorporates far-back CG location to launch the ball high and super-deep

» Massive 460 cc clubhead combined with TaylorMade's Inverted Cone Technology produces an extremely-high eMOI* that exceeds 5800 (USGA conforming)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to like this driver and have tried both the V1 and V2 TP's with several different shafts and just can't hit either them for my life! I went up 2 degrees on loft and still couldn't get a launch that was high enough for me. I have the SuperQuad in the bag now bent open 2* and it is a cannon and I also think I am in the minority on loving the SuperQuad judging from most posts that I have read. Just goes to show you how important it is to have equipment for your swing!

CP

I decided to go shopping to replace my 9 years old driver. I had it when I was 14y/o but stopped playing until this summer (I'm now 22y/o). Never hit balls like this, it felt so easy. I tried the Burner along with the G5, the SQ Sumo, the Big Bertha 460 and the HiBORE XL. The Burner was the one I hit more consistently with a lot more distance on miss-hits and same distance as the others on perfect hits. I've played about 10 rounds with it and I'm still very satisfied. I've learned to shape my shots and been hitting more fairways every round. I'm a 12 handicapper by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Burner 9.5 degree for a little over a month and like it a lot. I am hitting more fairways. Although the Taylormade marketing material tries to sell it for the long distance, personally, I am most impressed with it's forgiveness. For me, a slow easy swing is all it takes. Mis-hits are on the edge of the fairway or just off the fairway versus in the trees or hazard. One comment - the face is slightly closed on the non-TP version (1 degree for the 9.5). Since my previous driver was neutral, at first I was hitting it to far left some of the time. I finally adjusted by standing slightly further from the ball by an inch or two, and taking care to have my weight balanced and not too far back on the heels.

I just got it a few days ago... I did a demo of a few weeks ago and didn't like it, but someone had it at the range and I gave it one more shot.. I notice if I left the face open a bit the ball will stay straight.. then it was on. bombing it down the middle.. the ball feels like it barely on the club face and its down the fairway..

I'm a beliver!!!

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 10.5 with NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

i ordered a 9.5. tp burner with a graphaloy blus s shaft.... guy in shop instead ordered the normal burner, was very pissed, but its only 1 deg closed... i found that really trying to hit it hard it came out really high with lots of spin and alought the distance was still a good cary it was like a s/w... so then i decided to literally swing it with nothing behind it, and TTHHAACCKK.... ball just came out of the face with no spin what so ever, and just kept going, then i decided wo put it out the toe a bit, again TTHHAACCKK again a lo spin rocket with a draw, over and over again, i could not belive it, when really trying to pump this driver i found it reallt bad, but to granny it this thing went for miles, perfect, really wanted the tp model but this model has really impresed me....

Just got mine last week. I LOVE the head, but am a bit unsure of the shaft. It tends to be a bit inconsistent, but I want to give it more time. All-in-all, a great driver. I found it to be a bit whippy if I really swung at it, but with a nice, solid swing, it just goes. Might consider an Aldila NVS 65-S, but still want to give the stock shaft a chance.

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Burner HT, regular flex shaft for two weeks now. I have NEVER hit so many fairways. The trajectory is high, as advertised, and the closed face does promote a draw - which I was worried about since when I'm rushing the swing I tend to hook. Maybe its the little extra shaft length, but I do find myself swinging much smoother with this club than other drivers I've had - maybe its because it is so light? Whatever the reason, I aim down the right side and the ball ends up in the middle or left side of the fairway. Unbelievably easy to control - so far. However, I am cautious having experienced the "Honeymoon" effect with other new clubs.

Distance is equal to, or maybe even a bit longerer than my 580XD. I find the "feel" great, and can tell when its hit "on the screws."

Aesthetically I liked the shape when I first saw it, and am liking it more and more with every fairway I hit. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked one up today from Costco ($240!) w/Stiff shaft. I'm an 8 hcp with avg. driver carry of 260. My trajectory is high and I draw it. My misses are hooks.

HATED this club. Strong draw-to-hook on every shoot. Hit 8 straight out of 40 on the driving range. Drew another 10 very nicely. The rest? Ballooned or hooked or pushed. Got my three wood out (a 13.5 degree, so more like a 2 wood) to check that it wasn't my swing....nailed it straight every time.

- The face appears (and is) REALLY closed at address.

- HIGH ball flight

So, this baby could be great from some players, but not me ;). Thank God for the no-fault full refund Costco return policy

If you got the 9.5 loft Burner like me, the face is one degree closed. That is not nearly enough to cause a hook unless you hook also with a neutral face. A one degree closed face will move the ball no more than 5-10 yards left on a 250 yard drive. I was on the range today, on the way home from work, just hitting a full bucket with my clubs from wedges to driver. I was reminded once again, for this club at least, you have got to swing slow and easy both takeaway and transition. If you do that, the club just goes, even directly into the wind as it was tonight at the range.

If you need to swing hard due to your own personal tempo, then a different driver may be right for you. Perhaps something heavier or stiffer or shorter. With the Burner, it is very easy to allow your arms to outrace your body and when that happens, the face will be dead left and you will hit it dead left. But again, this is due to length and weight and your own swing tempo, not the one degree closed face.

I put an Aldila NV 75-X in mine and I can hit this thing SO well now. I tried the TP model, but I like to hit the ball hard and the open face caused a bit more of a fade than I wanted, but I couldn't be any happier with my D-Dog now.

Instagram account

• 1 month later...
How can you tell between the version 1 and version 2?

are you saying how can i you tell the difference between the TP and non-TP??? the TP is open and a smaller head which allows more workability and is primarilymade for players with high swing speeds while the non-TP model is closed and has a larger head for a slight draw bias and maximum forgiveness.

Instagram account

are you saying how can i you tell the difference between the TP and non-TP??? the TP is open and a smaller head which allows more workability and is primarilymade for players with high swing speeds while the non-TP model is closed and has a larger head for a slight draw bias and maximum forgiveness.

Pretty sure he means the difference between Version 1 and Version 2 of the Burner TP heads, Version 1 is tour orientated and very low spin apparently. 2 might be tour as well but higher spinning.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I personally thought retail burner had a much hotter face than TP. I tried TP for a brief period and found it to be not as solid in terms of feel on good hits as retail burner. Anyone else with similar experience ?

Aldilla NV is a great shaft and helped bring the high flight down. I tried to like the TP but finally gave up may it was the Mamiya shaft .

Pretty sure he means the difference between Version 1 and Version 2 of the Burner TP heads, Version 1 is tour orientated and very low spin apparently. 2 might be tour as well but higher spinning.

Yes thanks.

Sorry I didn't mention TP version 1 vs TP version 2.

• 1 month later...

Love it! Gave it a four though because the 50 gr. stock shaft isn't that great but not that bad. Tried the nike sumo, cobra f, was gonna get the g10 but went back and demo'd again and decided on the burner. Same dispurtion but about 7 yrds longer, so i decided to go with the burner. awsome sound! very forgiving, a little to closed but manageable. i don't try to work it so that didn't really matter to me. all in all not a bad club :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the burner is a good club. I came from a hibore XL. Both clubs are very easy to hit well. I hit the ball long and fairly straight with the burner. i find myself wanting to go back to the hibore. I dont feel the solidness I like in the burner., partially due to the fact that i find the shaft whippy. I dont know if its too long for me to like, but its light and long and its not my thing. Im going to try putting a proforce v2 on it...

so to make it short, i would definitely recommend the club, but i would recommend looking into a different shaft..

• 1 month later...