Denver Golf Trip in July -- Course List Inside!

jdawgttu

Hey all,

My buddies and I are taking our annual golf trip to Denver this year. We are planning on playing three days ( thurs - Sat). Below are the courses we are interested in, however we can only pick three out of the four. Help!

Fossil Trace

Arrowhead

The Ridge and Castle Pines

Beardance

Which would you ax and why? Should we consider others? We will be staying in DT Denver so looking at less than 1 hr travel if possible.

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good options. Red Hawk Ridge in Castle Rock is a nice one as well - about 40 min from downtown.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I'd get rid of Arrowhead. Views are spectacular but the golf is just meh (in my opinion).

I'd even replace Fossil Trace with a different course unless you guys are die hard Engh fans. Depending on where you're staying you could play Green Valley Ranch or Riverdale Dunes.

Heck, since you're here in July you could head up and play one of the mountain courses.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I'd get rid of Arrowhead. Views are spectacular but the golf is just meh (in my opinion).

I'd even replace Fossil Trace with a different course unless you guys are die hard Engh fans. Depending on where you're staying you could play Green Valley Ranch or Riverdale Dunes.

Heck, since you're here in July you could head up and play one of the mountain courses.

Fossil Trace was my first thought in dropping. Do you have a mountain course you'd suggest?

I played Fossil Trace and Common Ground last year, and I played Bear Dance and Redlands Mesa (probably a bit far for you) two years ago. They're all great, but Fossil Trace was my favorite of the bunch, with Bear Dance a close second. I plan on playing Arrowhead and couple others on my next visit in the fall.

I'm still looking for my hook up to play Colorado Golf Club...

I played Fossil Trace and Common Ground last year, and I played Bear Dance and Redlands Mesa (probably a bit far for you) two years ago. They're all great, but Fossil Trace was my favorite of the bunch, with Bear Dance a close second. I plan on playing Arrowhead and couple others on my next visit in the fall.

I'm still looking for my hook up to play Colorado Golf Club...

I keep going back and forth with FT...might just have to try and squeeze her in.

The Ridge at Castle Pines and Bear Dance are both for sures. I would play Fossil Trace as it's unique and a cool Denver course. You wouldn't want to play it more than once but I do think that playing it once is great. Arrowhead has some spectacular views but the course and golf experience itself are not very good. I would suggest playing Fossil Trace and then before or after, drive out to Red Rocks and you will get some of the same vibes you would at Arrowhead and you don't have to waste a round on it.

Good luck and have fun!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

The Ridge at Castle Pines and Bear Dance are both for sures. I would play Fossil Trace as it's unique and a cool Denver course. You wouldn't want to play it more than once but I do think that playing it once is great. Arrowhead has some spectacular views but the course and golf experience itself are not very good. I would suggest playing Fossil Trace and then before or after, drive out to Red Rocks and you will get some of the same vibes you would at Arrowhead and you don't have to waste a round on it.

Good luck and have fun!

Between Red Hawk Ridge and Castle Pines North...which would you choose?

Drop Arrowhead for sure.

Some others to consider ...

CommonGrounds

Fox Hollow

Walnut Creek

Red Hawk Ridge (although the conditions at CP North are usually better IMO)

Green Valley Ranch

Murphy Creek

I like Fossil Trace. I also like Bear Dance. I'd personally pick a few others on the list above over Ridge at CP North. Any on the list would be as close as (if not closer) than CP North. Bear Dance will be your longest drive from downtown.

drn92

Drop Arrowhead for sure.

Some others to consider ...

CommonGrounds

Fox Hollow

Walnut Creek

Red Hawk Ridge (although the conditions at CP North are usually better IMO)

Green Valley Ranch

Murphy Creek

I like Fossil Trace. I also like Bear Dance. I'd personally pick a few others on the list above over Ridge at CP North. Any on the list would be as close as (if not closer) than CP North. Bear Dance will be your longest drive from downtown.

drn92

Thanks for the list! I'll check them out for sure!

I share the same sentiment as others of dropping Arrowhead. I think your choices of Bear Dance, Fossil Trace and the Ridge at CP are great. I play most of my golf at Green Valley Ranch, and I would play your choices over GVR. While the golf may be better at GVR (not sure I can really make that argument, but I haven't played enough at the others), it doesn't have the scenery of the other three.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Good luck and have fun!

Between Red Hawk Ridge and Castle Pines North...which would you choose?

I would stick with Ridge at CPN. Just a better course with better Colorado feel. Front nine is good, back nine is really good.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I share the same sentiment as others of dropping Arrowhead. I think your choices of Bear Dance, Fossil Trace and the Ridge at CP are great. I play most of my golf at Green Valley Ranch, and I would play your choices over GVR. While the golf may be better at GVR (not sure I can really make that argument, but I haven't played enough at the others), it doesn't have the scenery of the other three.

Hmmm, not a lot of love for Arrowhead lol.

We are definitely gonna play Bear Dance.

I've played Arrowhead a handful of times, primarily for company tourneys, and have enjoyed it, but I don't think it's worth the cost. It has some really pretty holes, but for me, I find the course gimmicky, for lack of a better term. There are some questionable hole layouts, and some where you don't have a good idea of what to hit unless you're familiar with the course.

Edel E-1

Ok, so here are the courses were playing. All tee times have been booked.

Arrowhead - I realize most said to skip, but my group loved the look and layout of the course more so over Fossil Trace. Looking forward to it!

Bear Dance - I am really excited about this one. Course looks awesome. Tons of great reviews as well.

Ridge @ CP - This one made the '17 - '18 Golf Digest best courses in Colorado. Can't wait.

Thanks to all who chimed in! Would be happy to post updates/pics if anyone is interested.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on local bars/breweries and or restaurants, those are welcomed as well!

Thanks!

Great Divide, Wynkoop, and Denver Beer Co are good brewery options in the downtown area. Snooze / Denver Buscuit Company are musts for breakfast/brunch. Steuben's is a must for lunch/dinner. View House is a good spot for drinks/food. And be sure to stop by Little Man Ice Cream.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on local bars/breweries and or restaurants, those are welcomed as well!

Thanks!

Great Divide, Wynkoop, and Denver Beer Co are good brewery options in the downtown area. Snooze / Denver Buscuit Company are musts for breakfast/brunch. Steuben's is a must for lunch/dinner. View House is a good spot for drinks/food. And be sure to stop by Little Man Ice Cream.

Sweet! Thanks!

Tons of great places downtown. It really depends on how much you're looking to spend. If you're looking for a nice dinner, the list is huge, but Larimer Square is a great concentration of solid restaurants. I'd argue yelp is fairly accurate overall for places to eat, so it can be a great help to you.

If you like cocktails, check out Union Lodge No. 1 at least for one drink. It's a bit pricey, but the drinks are awesome, and it's cool to watch them make them, so grab a seat at the bar.

And the RiNo district north of downtown has some cool breweries and restaurants. Same with the Highlands on the other side of I-25. You really can't go wrong.

Edel E-1

Tons of great places downtown. It really depends on how much you're looking to spend. If you're looking for a nice dinner, the list is huge, but Larimer Square is a great concentration of solid restaurants. I'd argue yelp is fairly accurate overall for places to eat, so it can be a great help to you.

If you like cocktails, check out Union Lodge No. 1 at least for one drink. It's a bit pricey, but the drinks are awesome, and it's cool to watch them make them, so grab a seat at the bar.

And the RiNo district north of downtown has some cool breweries and restaurants. Same with the Highlands on the other side of I-25. You really can't go wrong.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you do decide to play Arrowhead (Yes, it's one of those courses everyone should play once but only if you can get a deal) make sure you do so after 10:00 a.m. The early morning winds (which occur just about every day in the summer) are nasty and I mean nasty nasty. At about 10:00 they magically disappear and their green fees usually reflect it.

Got back from our trip on Sunday. Had an absolute blast!

I arrived early wednesday and had breakfast at Denver Diner downtown. Met up with my buddies shortly after and headed to Golden for the Coors tour. Afterwards walked around and stopped in a couple neat tap houses then proceeded towards RiNo district I believe. Stopped at Epic Brewery and Ratio. Both very cool spots. Ended up eating at The Populist after.

Thursday was our first 18. Played Arrowhead. Amazing views! Pro shop said that it was the most photographed course in the nation next to Pebble Beach. That's nuts, but I believe it. Now, would I play it again? Ummm probably not. Very expensive, but its a must play for a first time goer. Fairways were in perfect condition. Greens were recently punched and lightning fast! Just impossible at times, definitely made the round interesting. Headed back downtown and ate at La Loma. Great mexican food.

Friday we played Bear Dance. Awesome course, pricey but worth it for sure. Our group loves mountain golf and this course didn't disappoint. Perfect conditions. Would play again without hesitation. After the round we headed back to DT, grabbed a quick bite, then walked to Coors field for the Rockies game.

Saturday we played The Ridge at Castle Pines North. My favorite of the three. It checked all the boxes. Perfect conditions, challenging, beautiful setting and views, etc. Loved it. Highest green fee, but again, worth every penny. After the round we headed back and caught another Rockies game.

Great trip all in all. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with recommendations!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear your trip went well.. We are doing something very similar in a few weeks in August but locking down times has become hard. We want to play 36 on Thursday and 18 on Friday (Saturday we are white water rafting and ATVing). The problem is, Bear Dance is mostly booked in the morning so we can only play 18 there... Thursday, there are outings at Fossil Trace and Castle Pines. So we can't play 36. So I guess I need some of the GolfWRXers opinions...

We are staying in a house in LoHi (near coors field). Here is the direction I am heading:

Thursday @ 8am - Fossil Trace

Thursday Afternoon (1:30?) - Common Ground (looks like the house is kind of right in between FT and Common Ground)

Friday @ Noon - Bear Dance

We are going to a concert at Red Rocks Thursday night so we didn't want a super early tee time Friday Am... I'm sure Thursday will be a really long day/night so we will want to sleep in a little and move slower in the morning. I have the times booked at FT and BD right now as placeholders. We can't play 36 at Fossil Trace because there is an afternoon outing. We also can't play 36 at Bear Dance on Friday do timing issue with their tee sheet

Does this plan sound realistic? I'm not sure how bad midday traffic is Thursday in Denver going from FT to Common Ground.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Glad your trip went well!

SilverBullets - I don't quite get the allure of Common Ground, but to each their own. If it were me, I'd suggest playing GVR over CG any day of the week. They just held the Colorado Open there, and the course is in fantastic shape. It's maybe 10 minutes further than CG from Fossil Trace. I'd throw Riverdale Dunes in the mix too.

Edel E-1

Glad to hear your trip went well.. We are doing something very similar in a few weeks in August but locking down times has become hard. We want to play 36 on Thursday and 18 on Friday (Saturday we are white water rafting and ATVing). The problem is, Bear Dance is mostly booked in the morning so we can only play 18 there... Thursday, there are outings at Fossil Trace and Castle Pines. So we can't play 36. So I guess I need some of the GolfWRXers opinions...

We are staying in a house in LoHi (near coors field). Here is the direction I am heading:

Thursday Afternoon (1:30?) - Common Ground (looks like the house is kind of right in between FT and Common Ground)

We are going to a concert at Red Rocks Thursday night so we didn't want a super early tee time Friday Am... I'm sure Thursday will be a really long day/night so we will want to sleep in a little and move slower in the morning. I have the times booked at FT and BD right now as placeholders. We can't play 36 at Fossil Trace because there is an afternoon outing. We also can't play 36 at Bear Dance on Friday do timing issue with their tee sheet

Does this plan sound realistic? I'm not sure how bad midday traffic is Thursday in Denver going from FT to Common Ground.

Mid-day traffic won't be an issue getting from FT to CG, but that's a fair bit of driving especially if you need to get back to LoHi to shower up before heading out to Red Rocks. You're going to get stuck in end of day traffic coming back from CG to LoHi, however. No easy answer for that.

I'd suggest either play FT and another course on the west side, or play CG and/or courses on the east side of town. A combo of FT + Fox Hollow (Meadow and Canyon 9s) would be super easy. Or, maybe CG and Murphy Creek or Green Valley Ranch. Could try to get in 36 at Riverdale Dunes, too, and the traffic would be a little better coming back into town, but if you can stay on the west side of town traffic will be better.

I live in Denver. PM me with questions.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

Unless you really want to play CommonGround, I would recommend the Fossil Trace - Fox Hollow combo. Those are close together and I like the grill at Fox Hollow for a quick bite. I also prefer both over most of the courses on the east side of town.

If you want to play CommonGround (which is a very nice and fun course), I would combine it with a course out east, with Green Valley, Murphy Creek, or Riverdale Dunes as the top three choices.

You could also do the Bear Dance, Red Hawk, Castle Pines North (2 of three) on Thursday since all are south of town and then pick up any other course on Friday.

Enjoy your trip. Courses are in pretty good shape last time I played.

drn92

awesome I will take a look at these suggestions. I only had Commonground on there because on my list of courses to play (which admittedly wasn't a overly well researched list as I kind of assumed we would be able to get on 3 of our top 5 on the list.. we apparently can't due to various tournaments and outings).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5