2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Your Pet Peeves on the Course

My biggest pet peeve are the guys like "billhager". I'll tell you what buddy, make the tour and I will gladly let you take all the time in the world, but until then, get up and hit the damn ball. Guess what, I read all my putts from several different angles, take 30 or so seconds to visualize a shot and get comfortable over the ball and I can still walk 18 in under 3 hours, given I'm not held up. What I can't stand are the weekend hacks that that see the almighty tour pro do this and that and try to mimic their manerisms and their excuse is, well the tour pro's do it, so I will too. Well guess what, I don't feel like playing 5 or 6 hour rounds so you can challenge breaking 90.

To put things in perspective, you can take your time when you are over your shot but there are ways to speed up like -

Walk to your ball, decide on yardage and club selection EVEN WHEN ITS NOT your turn to play. (Provided you are not in your partner's line of fire)

Likewise for putting. Don't start readling lines from every friggin angle when its YOUR turn to putt.

You wanna play like a pro I have nothing against it BUT I'm pretty sure not everyone here is one so you better know when to speed things up.

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the guy you get paired up with that is always telling you how great your shot was when you are playing like sH*%!! I actually told a guy today, "Look let me just be happy with my own misery. It might not seem like it, but I am playing like s*** today, I just short sided my self with an impossible up and down from 85 yards out, last thing I need it for you to tell me "great shot".... it was a horrible shot and horrible execution. I suck today and I know it, and nothing you tell me is going to convince me otherwise."

"Let me just be happy with my own misery!" I need to get this tattooed somewhere. lol

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[quote name='bazinky' timestamp='1185553985' post='654615']
My personal pet peeve is/are what I call "Tee Snobs". These are individuals who refuse to play anything but the tips, despite the fact that they can't break 90, and their ego will also usually prevent them from letting anyone play through, despite that fact that they have to look for lost balls on just about every other hole. I'm of the opinion that people playing inappropriate tees is one of the biggest sources of slow play ...
[/quote]

This is sooooo true! :angry22: It drives me crazy to see these people that are playing from the tips who have no business being there. With all of these courses being built now with "forced carries" and over 7000 yards, there is no reason for them to play from there. There should be a sign on every course that says "If you cannot carry your ball over 250 yards, then you CANNOT play from the tips!" Nothing aggravates me more than watching guys play from there, hitting it barely 200 yards, and spending half of their day looking for their ball somewhere else other than the fairway! Just like the sign that is posted at Bethpage Black:

"Warning: The black course is an extremely difficult course when we recommend only for highly skilled golfers."

Something like this should be posted at every golf course. But in this day and age of entitlement, we all think that since we paid our money so we can do whatever we want and there is nothing you can do to stop me.
"I wanna get the entire golf experience ... from the back tees." Really buddy ... you should be playing from the REDS! You would have a much better time, trust me. When I happen to get paired up with someone at the first tee as a walk on, and they ask me what tees are you going to play from .... I say "whatever tees you guys want to, in the essence of speeding up play." I have even played from the Reds before when I got paired with 3 women. They though it was funny but hey .... I have no ego ... I don't care what people think. I am out there to have fun and not take the game or the people I am playing with so serious.
Seriously ... that is why there are sometimes 4-5 sets of tees!! They are there for a reason. Be honest with yourself and rate your game. Are you really good enough to play from the back or does your Ego not let you??
Just my rant for the day! Hit 'em long and straight folks .... from the correct set of tees! :cheesy:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

I cannot stand walking up to mark my ball on the green and seeing a nice huge tobacco spit wad anywhere near my ball. It's kind of gross. I chew tobacco, so I am not going to preach about that, but please for the love of the game do not spit that stuff on the greens.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

>Getting behind a small tournament of two or three foursomes (Ladies Day, Senior Club, SIRs, etc.) as a single or a two-some. They play very slowly since the results mean something to them. The rub is that nobody, absolutely nobody, is invited to play through no matter the gap between groups. The course is theirs in their opinion. It probably wouldn't matter anyway since you'd be stuck in the middle of the groups. It is like being trapped on the highway with 18-wheelers side-by-side slowly traveling the same speed.

>Inconsiderate behaviors of not repairing ball marks on greens, not replacing divots, no attempt at all to rake traps. To he|| with the following group or anyone else on the course for that matter. Maybe it is a reflection of what our society has become.

>Having a hole open ahead and not inviting the following faster player(s) to play through. Sorry OP, but it doesn't matter if your group is on pace...an open hole should be an automatic invitation.

>The pro giving a playing lesson and the student is playing multiple practice shots while holding up those behind. A pro should know better. The pro is charging by the hour and the student wants to get his/her money's worth but it is annoying.

>You are the first person or group on the course and come around to #10 only to find the starter has allowed groups out on the back. There is a backup on #10. Your three hour round now becomes a five hour round.

>You get to a early hole on the front only to find that someone who had started on the back cut over, got in front of you, and is holding the course up with slow and poor play.

>Someone violently and aggressively accuses you of hitting into them when you intentionally laid-up short of a green protected by a trap in front. (I started a thread on this). To be fair, this has only happened once in 50 years so it doesn't really qualify as a pet peeve.

These things only happen occasionally (except for the course damage) so I don't mean to sound like the grumpy old man that I am. Most rounds are quite enjoyable.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

+1 on people saying, "nice shot" when you hit a bad one. In addition, when someone else talks to my ball, especially, on the green.

Biggest pet peeves are guys who lie about their scores, and when good players give themselves short putts.

Things I hate about myself on the course: 1) I can get pissed and lose my temper. I know it's no fun to play with "that guy." (Only happened twice this season in 80 rounds) 2) sometimes when I'm over the ball, my mind wanders from the shot at hand, to worrying about players behind my group. I'm curious if this happens to anyone else?

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1185468171' post='653198']Was playing with a guy once who quite literally got his hair parted (a brush cut no more than an inch long!) by one of these impatient golfers (and we were scampering off the green very quickly)
[/quote]

This is what happens when ones biggest pet peeve is "slow play"

They guy who gets behind you and tries to physically alter your stance and grip.... while you're taking a piss in the woods.

I can feel his dog breath on my shoulder right now.

I think I need to find a a different course

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1383465209' post='8095008']
They guy who gets behind you and tries to physically alter your stance and grip.... while you're taking a piss in the woods.

I can feel his dog breath on my shoulder right now.

I think I need to find a a different course
[/quote]

Now, that is funny!! :cheesy:

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

- I hate when people want to talk about non golf things the entire round. I don't mind a little banter in the middle of the round, but I want to stay focused on golf. My dad is good at this. He'll bring up his work or politics and my anger rises as do my scores.

- As mentioned before the people who refuse to let you play through. I walk as a single during the week in the summer and I run into a ton of people like this.

- Carts. Hate 'em. Probably because I caddy though.

- When someones shadow is in the middle of my line or over the hole. I try to ignore it, but it always gets to me.

- The Mr. and Mrs. Havercamp's of real world. I love that you're still playing as an older couple, but come on..

Got paired up with a nice couple today, the chick was a ton of fun and didn't care what she shot but was athletic so she could keep up for sure. But every shot I hot to her was a good shot. Just because I hit the bell 250 IT'S NOT GOOD IF IT'S IN THE BUNKER!

Can't be too mad though, she was super nice, super fun and super HOT! So cute when she called the bunkers "sand dunes" lol

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[quote name='ND2005' timestamp='1384095532' post='8127210']
[quote name='11under' timestamp='1384064029' post='8126384']
People that think they have reinvented the golf swing and try to teach you everything they know while you are playing a round of golf.
[/quote]

This. Anyone who tries to give me unsolicited swing advice on a golf course.
[/quote]
Just as bad is when someone tries to read your putt and tells you what they see.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

we have a big issue here lately with peoples kids not being shown proper ways to act on the links. From leaving giant foot deep holes in the bunkers to my favorite let them run around the green and smash your wedge you left on the fringe into the ground. Im all for getting kids into the game but if you bring em out there. Make it about them and teaching not your game and letting em run wild.

• 3 weeks later...

Played as a single today and had a twosome catch me as I was waiting for the foursome in front. I asked them if they would like to join me and they said, "were not going anywhere that's ok". So after the front 9 another single caught them and said, "mind if I join you?" . They told him, "why don't you join the other single ahead of us. Cool right?

So as we are standing on 18 tee box, the same foursome was in the fairway and my and the other single were chatting about other local courses and as soon as the foursome got their carts moving towards the green, the twosome who didn't want to play with us tell us to stop talking and "TEE OFF ALREADY!" Now mind you we were talking for only 10-15 seconds after the other carts had left the fairway and we were well under the 4 hour marker for the round. I asked the gentlemen, "you got a hot date?" He snapped back, "while we're young sonny!"

So lets just say I took FOREVER to line up my put while he was waiting in the fairway behind us. Guy was such a dI&^head!

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

People that spit sunflower seed shells all over the greens drive me crazy.

People that park their cart and step onto the green (referring to lazy people and not the people with legitimate hdcp needs).

Guys who are sitting in the cart and aren't ready to hit when it's their turn.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

A new twist on an old pet peeve.

Course was crowded and backed up on the #1 tee. Bunch of guys standing around. My group is on the tee waiting for the fairway to clear.

This jacka** who looks like a walking golfsmith catalog walks up to my bag, loudly says to the crowd "I just wanna see what the fellow lefty is playing" and then proceeds to start going through my bag. I look at him, dumbfounded, as he starts taking the headcovers off my clubs. He starts trying to ask me questions about my equipment. I think my grunted one word answers finally got the point through to him.

WTF?