2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Your Pet Peeves on the Course

1. Maintenance crew is doing something noisy, and then just before you execute your shot, they decide to stop what they are doing.

2. Group behind you starts firing into green the very second your first foot walks off the putting surface.

3. Ranger warns you of slow play because you have fallen a hole behind, yet you are ahead of their stated pace of play.

I'm sure we could start a book with this topic.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides slow play, my next biggest peeve is:

When someone else picks up my ball to identify it, especially when it's in the fairway! Then again, someone has hit my ball out of my own fairway before, which is even worse.

2. Group behind you starts firing into green the very second your first foot walks off the putting surface.

Was playing with a guy once who quite literally got his hair parted (a brush cut no more than an inch long!) by one of these impatient golfers (and we were scampering off the green very quickly)

people on the 9th or 18th green that park their carts on the cart path right next to the green and decide to putt away or take stuff out of their bag while I'm waiting to hit into the green. C'mon, drive the cart out of the way so I can hit and then you can count how many balls you have left in your bag since you lost 15 on that hole

I play with some folks that like to congregate around the pin when I'm chipping onto the green. They like to stand 10' away, left, right or even right in back of the pin on my line. Wait until I "skull" one right through their legs.... :smilie_ping:

The other is walking in my line of sight when I'm putting or chipping onto the green. Fer pete's sake, at least have the courtesy to stand still when someone is shooting!

1) Superintendent. Mainly with not marking things, or marking them incorrectly.

2) Course Designers. Making stupid silly holes. See the attached image, it’s yardage is only 300, but is an almost impossible hole. You must drive the ball to a landing area (Green oval) 20 yards wide by 10 yards deep otherwise you have no shot at the green. Oh and the fairway is firm so you don’t know how far it will roll. With the simple removal of one tree (red circle) this hole would still be hard, but would become fair. Oh and back to the superintendent’s point, there is no information given of how far that landing area is.

3) Other people. Playing the wrong ball. Look at the ball and insure that it is yours before hitting it.

Not an unusual one in my case.

Blokes who drive it 200 yards but insist on waiting from 250+ out in the fairway.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

1. People who are playing slow, acknowledge that they're playing slow, yet refuse to let you play through. There's quite a few older people at my country club, and this happens a lot more than it should.

2. People that take 15 practice swings, then duff the ball 10 yards. I don't mean people that have one bad shot either, I mean the ones that do this almost every shot.

3. Hard greens. If a ball bounces up 6 feet in the air after it hits a green and doesn't leave a mark, that's probably a good sign that you should stop waiting on the rain and spend a little money on water for the greens.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

1) Playing behind a 3 ball. 2 in a cart. 1 miles behind. Usually the buggy races around because they take so many shots and the guy really far behind is actually the better player.

2) Slow play. Slow enough isn't that bad but like stupidly slow as in leaving trolleys 10 yards behind for every shot, leaving clubs, etc. behind and making the other players in the group wait while they run back 400 yards and nearly get hit by people teeing off. Today some 10 year old girls were playing and when I was about to swing on 18 I hear them laugh as the ball is hit 5 yards away from me!! WTF!

3) People not raking bunkers. Today I was in a bunker, the person behind me had raked everything, except their sand divot...I was in it!!!

4) Adults blaming juniors for everything that happens at a club...oh the pitchmarks aren't being repaired, you play with the people that say this, repair yours and 3 other marks and they don't!

5) Not marking the ball with a tee to identify it or lift clean and place

6) People that talk about how they Shudda Cudda Wudda been off 6 after the medal last week because they missed too many 10 ft putts for par!

- Pitch Marks - Repair the one you made and one more. If everyone does this.............

- People that b**** about someone stepping in their through line - I understand what it is, I really do...but if you put as much energy into making your putt as you do into worrying about your come-backer, you wouldn't have a come-backer to begin with.

- OB On the Course - Buy more land or make it a par 4.

- Backspin - I just produce too much with wedges....it's a personal thing.

- Carts - Bring back the caddie programs!!!

- False Fronts - See backspin...

- People that mark their ball on the green with a tee - Look, no offense, but either put a penny down or putt it out. I don't want to look at a tee stickin out of the ground worrying about hitting it.

- My friend asking me on the first tee EVERY TIME WE PLAY, "Do you have any extra long tees?" - "No, but I have these." "Can I Have one?" "They're $1.00 inside, they had lots of bags left." - well that's what I'd like to say.

- Courses that don't let you know the greens are going to be/have just been aerated. I understand it has to be done and I'm all for that. I'm not asking for a discount. I AM asking that you let me know you just did it.

- Courses that send groups off 10 when we've just gone out (we're fast...3 of us play 9 holes in 1+45 on a pretty regular basis...3 - 3.5 hr rounds isn't uncommon) and we have to wait on the 10th tee because the guys inside will do nothing about it.

- "Minimum charges" to use a credit card - Have you read your agreement with Visa? Master Card? AMEX? Discover? THAT ISN'T ALLOWED!!! If I want to buy a $.30 pack of chewing gum and use a visa card, you can't make me spend $10 to use a credit card. They'll yank your account and you'll be back to cash, check or money order.

- "Mandatory Carts until ____" When it isn't posted on the course's website or disclosed when you make the tee time - Bait and switch. Either disclose it on the website under "rates", or when I call and ask for a 1:00 tee time on Saturday just say "it is mandatory carts until 2:00". How much easier is that than pissing off 24 golfers (yes, that's 6 tee times) that wanted to walk. Walk we did....right down the road to your competition.

....not many though :smilie_ping:

-mini

1. people who take practice swings after they hit, as to try to see what they did wrong/

2. starters that put a single between two foursomes. (this happened to me today. I was the single. I waited on every shot and was hit into on the blind tee shots. I left after six holes).

3. The guy who says "Nice Hit". It's called a shot!

TM M3
TM Tour Preferred CB/MC
TM Rossa Daytona

my only complaint is people who b**** about how long it takes to play a round .. if you want a n answer see how long it takes a pro to play a round and score like they do.. takes time to read putts and decide on a club

Next time the guys in front of me are playing for their house payment I'll consider that.

-mini

My personal pet peeve is/are what I call "Tee Snobs". These are individuals who refuse to play anything but the tips, despite the fact that they can't break 90, and their ego will also usually prevent them from letting anyone play through, despite that fact that they have to look for lost balls on just about every other hole. I'm of the opinion that people playing inappropriate tees is one of the biggest sources of slow play ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Actually one thing i hate more than slow play, is playing partners complaining about slow play. Stay thinking in the positive, review the yardage book. Talk to your friend about the news weather sports etc. Keep your mind off of the slow play. Secondly take an extra look when you're on the green, pace off a yardage, rather than using the book. Walk up the hill to get visual confirmation of what lies ahead.

People that throw their clubs backwards or sideways. Clubs should always be thrown towards your next shot.

Just kidding, I'm not advocating club throwing in any direction. One of my true pet peeves is people who make a putt, then don't go pick their ball out of the hole when there's other people still left to putt out. I don't care what the actual volume of the hole is, there's only room in the hole for one ball at a time!

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

Actually one thing i hate more than slow play, is playing partners complaining about slow play. Stay thinking in the positive, review the yardage book. Talk to your friend about the news weather sports etc. Keep your mind off of the slow play. Secondly take an extra look when you're on the green, pace off a yardage, rather than using the book. Walk up the hill to get visual confirmation of what lies ahead.

Yeah, that's a pain in the a** too. My Mother In Law and I play very fast.....very fast (at least I think so), but when it's slow she does nothing but want to b**** about it and at times we've skipped around. We are on 2, we'll skip to 5, play 5-18 and then come back to play 3&4. Nothing pisses me off more than that....I don't take part in that anymore.

-mini

Pitch Marks-it only takes .34 seconds to repair 3 or 4

Dumb Rednecks/hicks- they drink WAAAY too much, golf is a game where balence is essential and most of these idiots don't have any to begin with.

non-competitive slow rounds- I'm a tournament player so being more meticulous in competition doesn't bother me, but for christsake a sunday afternoon round isn't for the Open.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

definitely people who realize that they are playing slow and continously look back at you but don't let you go through.

when I'm playing with strangers and after every lag putt that hit the three footer back to me. I like to practice those for peet's sake.

people who take ridiculous amounts mulligans

sandbaggers

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

Actually one thing i hate more than slow play, is playing partners complaining about slow play.

Man am I glad that someone brought this up. I played recently with a "friend of a friend" who played holes 3-17 absolutely LIVID at the slow(ish) play of the group ahead of us. We were a 3-some, they were a 4-some and the course was decently busy. There was never much room in front of them, and we were never held up what I would consider to be an unreasonable amount of time.

The funny part was, he totally wrecked his own game by walking around bitter all day. He's usually a good golfer, I'd say a low-80's type player, but on this day, he was shanking his drives all over the place, playing out of other hole's fairways, and couldn't hole a putt outside of about 2 feet. (not that I took ANY joy at all in watching him implode like that....hehehe) --but his miserable attitude (which only got worse the poorer he played) also had the effect of ruining a good day that me and my buddy should have been having.

My biggest pet peeve are the guys like "billhager". I'll tell you what buddy, make the tour and I will gladly let you take all the time in the world, but until then, get up and hit the damn ball. Guess what, I read all my putts from several different angles, take 30 or so seconds to visualize a shot and get comfortable over the ball and I can still walk 18 in under 3 hours, given I'm not held up. What I can't stand are the weekend hacks that that see the almighty tour pro do this and that and try to mimic their manerisms and their excuse is, well the tour pro's do it, so I will too. Well guess what, I don't feel like playing 5 or 6 hour rounds so you can challenge breaking 90.