2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

3 clubs and a putter tournament format

Our monthly mga tournament is 3 clubs and a putter format. It's coming up on 7/22. 100% handicap stroke play from the ladies (red) tees. I just played a little recon practice round and feel pretty comfortable with my 3 club selection. Also got to play a couple holes with an upcoming junior player and a semi famous wrxer who I just met not too long ago. He needs to sign up for the tournament if you're reading this bram!

I went with my trusty 4h - 200yd average but it's known to go 185 and sometimes 215, 7i ~ 150 yes 150, and a 56*. I'm having all kinds of trouble with the 56 around the greens and in the bunkers. I usually hit 60* anywhere inside 80yds. (But I did stop at the chipping green after round and feeling more comfortable with a ways to go still).

Here's the scorecard, sorry for my random notes. Pin was in position 2 and actual yardages to pin are at the bottom for the par3's. Wind direction and strength changes our course drastically so day of is going to make a huge impact.

f0b30f776aeaeac863d8b8d213a16309.jpg

Anybody that has played in a tournament like this, how do the events typically score? Do people go really low, close to par or is it just a really rough day? How do you think the scores compare to regular handicapped stroke play tournaments?

Any other suggestions from someone whose played this format? It's my first time but I'm pretty confident I'm going to take 1st and hopefully a skin or 3.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore those par 3 yardages completely. Looking from a golf perspective, bogeys are common on par 3s when you have the correct club, so I don't think you stand to gain much or anything against the field by taking a par 3 club. Being able to somewhat reliably have realistic chances to GIR the rest of the course is huge, and scrambling is equally huge. Plus since you're Texan I assume the punch shot is an option with that 7.

I also don't see why you want a 56. If you're looking at going 4i-56 on those 285ish holes, why not just go 7-7? Two immensely reliable clubs you really don't have to manipulate. Also back to the texan thing, grip down on that hybrid and roll it up 100 yards to the green.

I haven't played a 3 club tournament, but I've played 7s-only a few times with friends, and it always comes down to being smarter than everyone else by playing within yourself, fairways and greens, and shots around the green. Only acknowledge the existence of flags from 30+ yards to know which side of the green to aim at (hint, the other one). Same for yardage manipulation--front pin at 115? Just 3/4 your 7. Don't try to fade it off your front foot with a half-swing-knock-down.. no. Take 10 yards off and make a long lag putt or easy chip. Trying to manipulate shots and hit awkward stuff pretty much always ends up with "dude I almost had that" and now you're short sided in a bunker. Play to safe misses and get up and down.

Ignore those par 3 yardages completely. Looking from a golf perspective, bogeys are common on par 3s when you have the correct club, so I don't think you stand to gain much or anything against the field by taking a par 3 club. Being able to somewhat reliably have realistic chances to GIR the rest of the course is huge, and scrambling is equally huge. Plus since you're Texan I assume the punch shot is an option with that 7.

I also don't see why you want a 56. If you're looking at going 4i-56 on those 285ish holes, why not just go 7-7? Two immensely reliable clubs you really don't have to manipulate. Also back to the texan thing, grip down on that hybrid and roll it up 100 yards to the green.

I haven't played a 3 club tournament, but I've played 7s-only a few times with friends, and it always comes down to being smarter than everyone else by playing within yourself, fairways and greens, and shots around the green. Only acknowledge the existence of flags from 30+ yards to know which side of the green to aim at (hint, the other one). Same for yardage manipulation--front pin at 115? Just 3/4 your 7. Don't try to fade it off your front foot with a half-swing-knock-down.. no. Take 10 yards off and make a long lag putt or easy chip. Trying to manipulate shots and hit awkward stuff pretty much always ends up with "dude I almost had that" and now you're short sided in a bunker. Play to safe misses and get up and down.

The course has tons of water hazards, narrow fairways, and bunkers galore. What do you suggest to get out of the sand if not a 56*? I tried hitting some really choked down 7's and they ended up being shanks, don't have that down yet. When I got by myself on the back, I did hit 2 balls off the tee. 1 7i and other with hybrid. I'm going to get a couple more of these rounds together before the tournament. Being the smarter player is awesome advice! That's the key!

The course has tons of water hazards, narrow fairways, and bunkers galore. What do you suggest to get out of the sand if not a 56*? I tried hitting some really choked down 7's and they ended up being shanks, don't have that down yet. When I got by myself on the back, I did hit 2 balls off the tee. 1 7i and other with hybrid. I'm going to get a couple more of these rounds together before the tournament. Being the smarter player is awesome advice! That's the key!

You said "I'm having all kinds of trouble with the 56 around the greens and in the bunkers" so I assumed you were hitting your 60 out of them. If not, what do you normally hit from a greenside bunker? Its going to be whatever the shortest club you have is, but most of your greenside shots will likely be from the grass. You'll need a sand save or two but don't want to get away from your gameplan of getting close and playing smart/controlled just to force a certain club into your bag.

4hybrid. Great choice. 7i. Yes. But go 60* that club will be used a ton. It's the money club

Choke down on the 7i. Punch it!

I tried punching it a couple times today. 1 flew the green and one went pin high 120. Anything shorter than that and its shank city!

I ditched the 56 s grind for my 52* f grind. Much better. Practiced on the front yesterday and shot 1 over. Played the back today and shot 2 over with a birdie. Greens were punched 2 weeks ago. Filled in nicely but haven't mowed lately due to all the rain. Should be rolling nicely come Saturday when it's game time!

Pedowd, I signed up for that tourney but unfortunately I will be out of town Saturday and can't play anymore. I was looking at playing with a 4i, 8i and a 60. I'm with you on the 56 though. They way the course sets up, you almost have to have the 56 or 52 in the bag. I think I would be able to control distance with my 52 from decent range by choking down and taking 3/4 swings and such, but its around the green I would miss my 60. Just would have to open it up and practice bunker with it.

Notes about the course for some responding. Like Pedowd said, lots of water (17 of 18 holes, 10 greens with water on one side or more), fairly narrow, and only one green that isn't fully protected in front with bunkers (it has one on the right side but that's it).

Some additional notes that will help as well. Every green is raised. Most at least 4 feet, some more, one par 3 that is maybe 15 feet or slightly more. I used to primarily bump and run with a 56 but have switched to my 60 because you really need to elevate it some. Greens are faster than many of the courses around (in my opinion) so I even now use my 60 to bump and run (I know amateurish but it works for me). Also, some of the yardages are deceiving. Such as 10 and 11. By just yardage, you would think to just hit your 4i and wedge but there is water in the way of doing that on both. 10 you run out of fairway and 11 is a slight dogleg left around water.

I'll be out there tomorrow Pedowd if you want to meet up. Playing with a few other guys but feel free to join up.

No worries. I couldn't find anything searching either. I looked at my approach shots and where I wanted to be positioned. It worked out in practice but couldn't execute in the tournament. Watching playing partners take 4 strokes to get out of the sand didn't help my concentration either lol.

How long is the course playing? How tough is it? You comfortable out of bunkers with your 58*? I'd lean towards 7i as it's better out of rough and different lies but can leave you hitting 3 (or 4) into greens.

Thanks, the course is pretty open, a little bit of water & woods, bunkers around most greens. I typically use my 58 from the sand. A few par 4's play 360-400, so 7-7 will likely come up short, but my thoughts are try to get somewhere near the green in regulation & have a chance of up & down for par. I expect to make a lot of bogeys, hopefully some pars & not many "others." I'm guessing some of the guys will make some strange decisions & hope I can do well by not being too stupid.

We had a 8 cap last year shoot 76 w four sticks

I'd go w driver, 5h, 8 iron and 54*

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo