Best place to live, work and golf?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State income taxes by state.

Β 

I can't imagine having to add California's 7-8% to the federal taxes!

Β 

http://www.tax-rates...me-tax-by-state

Β 

Texas = 0 State Income Tax

Β 

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Ya you need that to make up for paying a shedload more in property taxes ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |Β  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

True but if the house is 50% less your not paying more, just a high rate. Dollars would be pretty even assuming your in a much cheaper house vs bigger house for a better price.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

My tax burden was higher in FL (0 state taxes) than AZ with a similar house price.

Β 

Property tax is basically nonexistent in Arizona. I was shocked when I started researching it. For perspective... in Ohio the income tax was roughly the same as Arizona (within 1% I believe).

Β 

Property tax on my home in Columbus, in a community with average property tax for the city, was $4700 annually. In Phoenix, I'm paying around $2200 annually... Our house in Phoenix was 3 times more than our house in Columbus (not because Phoenix is more expensive, just because we bought a bigger house, nicer house in a cool area... we upgraded). I was shell shocked. A house in Columbus, valued at what this house in Phoenix is, would be around $13000 a year in property tax. That's $900 a month.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GWΒ 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

My tax burden was higher in FL (0 state taxes) than AZ with a similar house price.

Β 

Property tax is basically nonexistent in Arizona. I was shocked when I started researching it. For perspective... in Ohio the income tax was roughly the same as Arizona (within 1% I believe).

Β 

Property tax on my home in Columbus, in a community with average property tax for the city, was $4700 annually. In Phoenix, I'm paying around $2200 annually... Our house in Phoenix was 3 times more than our house in Columbus (not because Phoenix is more expensive, just because we bought a bigger house, nicer house in a cool area... we upgraded). I was shell shocked. A house in Columbus, valued at what this house in Phoenix is, would be around $13000 a year in property tax. That's $900 a month.

Β 

$13k a year is a tad bit more than $900 a month. Just wanted to point that out and was immediately reminded of this movie scene when I read that.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5ΒΊ D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5ΒΊ Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21ΒΊ Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52ΒΊ & 58ΒΊ Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Β 

Depends on the state, for sure.

Β 

I own properties in Texas and Minnesota. Minnesota has about a 7% income tax - Texas has none. Property tax in both states very similar. Minnesota has no sales tax on food, but taxes on other stuff like auto and boat registration/ licenses is much higher in MN. Gasoline prices considerably higher in MN. House prices in MN ridiculously higher - by 50%.

Β 

Here's 2014 Zillow average house prices per square foot - Texas rules - California 250% higher - So a $1 million home in California costs $400 thousand in Texas)

Β 

https://www.discover...e-is-your-state

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

The best place to live and work play golf is New Zealand.

Β 

I wouldn't be surprised. :)

Β 

Beautiful place, but - I would think that finding a job you want, particularly if you are a foreigner wanting to immigrate, might be just a little bit difficult.

Β 

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Β 

Β 

I own properties in Texas and Minnesota. Minnesota has about a 7% income tax - Texas has none. Property tax in both states very similar. Minnesota has no sales tax on food, but taxes on other stuff like auto and boat registration/ licenses is much higher in MN. Gasoline prices considerably higher in MN. House prices in MN ridiculously higher - by 50%.

Β 

Here's 2014 Zillow average house prices per square foot - Texas rules - California 250% higher - So a $1 million home in California costs $400 thousand in Texas)

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Don't disagree, but on average you don't get compensated as well in Texas as California and not to disparage the great nation of Texas, but more of that square footage in the listings used for the data is likely in areas you'd really rather not live, than in California. It is an interesting pros v cons for all these places to live that's for sure :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |Β  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

With all due respect,duffer, are you wrx censorship police?

Β 

No respect in that question even if you preface it.

Β 

We should all be the "censorship police" that's the definition of a community. If you don't like it there are a ton of other golf forums. It's a "free world" you can choose to abide by someone else's membership agreement. You're the one that clicked on the box that said you had read and can abide by it.

Β 

Do you happen to kick spencer's butt(e) where you live? Do you play golf in the shadows or at a country club?

Β 

Β 

Β 

$13k a year is a tad bit more than $900 a month. Just wanted to point that out and was immediately reminded of this movie scene when I read that. [media=]

[/media]

Β 

Β 

haha yeah im an IT guy....

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Texsport

Β 

Don't disagree, but on average you don't get compensated as well in Texas as California and not to disparage the great nation of Texas, but more of that square footage in the listings used for the data is likely in areas you'd really rather not live, than in California. It is an interesting pros v cons for all these places to live that's for sure :)

Β 

However, overall quality of life in TX is better than one in CA, where you have to pay plenty of sunshine tax. Also, the income level in TX is not 50% or less of the one in CA.

Β 

I wish I knew this fact when I was in 20s and 30s.

I transplanted from Columbus, OH to Portland, OR in 2006. If you have good rain gear, there is nowhere better in my mind to be. There is a thriving and growing economy and golf galore. Weather is never (hardly ever) below freezing or above 95deg f. If you add some bounce to your wedges, you may not notice the difference...

Β 

Plus with all the tax talk everyone on the thread is spouting, you can always live in SW Washington (where there's no state income tax) and shop in Oregon (where there's no sales tax)

Β 

People here would be mad at me for suggesting another Californian keep driving up the house prices with their all cash bids on mansions with the profits from the sale of their 400sq foot house in California... but I digress... :-)

Sandhills of North Carolina are pretty nice. Lots of top notch golf courses with 30 courses in 20 minutes distance. Great place to raise a family with the safest place to live in North Carlina. 1 hour from raleigh, 2 hours fro the mountains and 2 hours from the ocean.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-north-carolina/

BIgger job markets would be Charlotte which is a really clean bank city, and Raleigh/Durham which is great as well.

You said east coast not preferable but consider North Atlanta area. Great schools and many golf course options. I live in Milton/Alpharetta area and a Club Corp member. Many courses close by with great options for year round play. High tech businesses moving into our area, been in IT for 25+ years.

Β 

Agreed. I live in Roswell and there are tons of great courses all over the area.

Take a look at Western PA.

Β 

My wife and I are considering moving there in a few years (Pittsburgh area).

Β 

Cost of living much cheaper than where we are now (Boston).

Β 

Weather isn't any worse and there is much more public golf available.

Β 

so much good golf in Pittsburgh! Chartiers CC, Nevillewood CC, St Clair CC, and of course the big dogs like Fox Chapel and Oakmont. But it snows!

Pretty hard to beat Scottsdale during the winter months.

Β 

Scottsdale is awesome in the fall/winter/early spring.... how do you manage in the summer thought?

Honestly, mid -July to mid-September kinda sucks but nothing compared to winter in the NE or Midwest which is a soul crushing, never ending, nightmare (to me :) ). May/June is my favorite time of the year. I walk and carry bag all year round without any issue whatsoever. Sometimes I play early in the summer and sometimes in the afternoon.

Β 

Scottsdale is awesome in the fall/winter/early spring.... how do you manage in the summer thought?

Honestly, mid -July to mid-September kinda sucks but nothing compared to winter in the NE or Midwest which is a soul crushing, never ending, nightmare (to me :) ). May/June is my favorite time of the year. I walk and carry bag all year round without any issue whatsoever. Sometimes I play early in the summer and sometimes in the afternoon.

Β 

Pretty much this. May was by far and away the best month I have been here for. Early June was really nice as well. This is my first summer here after moving from the MW. I have zero interest in going back to the Midwest after living here (and it's mid summer and I'm still saying that). In the 9+ months that I have been here, there has been ideal weather for 8 of them. Mid June until now it has been pretty brutal... but it's still easy to play golf. Tee off at 7am and get done before noon and it's no problem at all. People have this belief that it's above 100* in Phoenix permanently (not true) and that's above 100* every minute of the summer (not true). It's 85 when you tee off at 7 am and hasn't hit 100* yet by the time you finish. Just get out of dodge from about Noon till 5pm and it's over.

Β 

As they say, you don't have to shovel the sun. It's 'Winter' in phoenix right now and I am still golfing, hiking, and taking 20 mile bike rides. You just adjust your schedule a little. As opposed to the Midwest where you really just can't do any of that (yes you can golf in 40* but let's be real.. it sucks and it never feels like 'real' golf). Plus, even when it's hot and the weather is 'bad', there is something about looking out the window and seeing blue skies all day long instead of that grey in the Midwest.

Β 

Β 

Pretty much this. May was by far and away the best month I have been here for. Early June was really nice as well. This is my first summer here after moving from the MW. I have zero interest in going back to the Midwest after living here (and it's mid summer and I'm still saying that). In the 9+ months that I have been here, there has been ideal weather for 8 of them. Mid June until now it has been pretty brutal... but it's still easy to play golf. Tee off at 7am and get done before noon and it's no problem at all. People have this belief that it's above 100* in Phoenix permanently (not true) and that's above 100* every minute of the summer (not true). It's 85 when you tee off at 7 am and hasn't hit 100* yet by the time you finish. Just get out of dodge from about Noon till 5pm and it's over.

Β 

As they say, you don't have to shovel the sun. It's 'Winter' in phoenix right now and I am still golfing, hiking, and taking 20 mile bike rides. You just adjust your schedule a little. As opposed to the Midwest where you really just can't do any of that (yes you can golf in 40* but let's be real.. it sucks and it never feels like 'real' golf). Plus, even when it's hot and the weather is 'bad', there is something about looking out the window and seeing blue skies all day long instead of that grey in the Midwest.

Β 

I was in Scottsdale for business in March and played at We Ko Pa the first in the morning. It was cold in mid 30s. Everyone in my some was out-of-towner and was not prepared for the temperature.

Β 

Anyways, it was beautiful all around. I thought to myself that I could live in PHX metro area. Clean air & blue sky.