2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Local fittings - philly

cma8516

I realize this is more of a course/travel section but since im looking for local specific information I hope this is ok to post here...

I am looking into finally getting a full fitting for my full time iron set. plan to stash my current set at my in-laws in Florida for when I visit -- I have always just gone with straight OTR sets. Im curious if anyone has any good spots to get a fitting done around Philly. I work in Delaware around Newark so if there's any places near here that's an option as well.

Curious if anyone has experience with Club Champion in philly (bala cynwyd).

The golf galaxy I go to usually has a lot of nice guys there but I just don't know they really have as much variety in shaft options for testing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did an iron and putter fitting at CC in philly and had a positive experience. They have anything you could want to try and do a good job zoning in on what works best. Just be careful as it can get pricey and if you want to avoid certain brands just let them know up front, otherwise you may end up with something super expensive and exotic simply because it gives you the numbers. They appeared very flexible and accommodating to whatever your preferences/restrictions may be.

That said ordering custom built sets through them will quickly get out of hand so don't be afraid of taking your spec sheet and ordering elsewhere if price is a factor.

I did mine this past winter and so far I have seen great results from the fitting. Gained almost a whole club in irons and putting is much improved from where I was the past few seasons.

I've also heard good things about getting fit through Izett. I decided on CC over Izett simply due to the larger options they offered over Izett.

I did an iron and putter fitting at CC in philly and had a positive experience. They have anything you could want to try and do a good job zoning in on what works best. Just be careful as it can get pricey and if you want to avoid certain brands just let them know up front, otherwise you may end up with something super expensive and exotic simply because it gives you the numbers. They appeared very flexible and accommodating to whatever your preferences/restrictions may be.

That said ordering custom built sets through them will quickly get out of hand so don't be afraid of taking your spec sheet and ordering elsewhere if price is a factor.

I did mine this past winter and so far I have seen great results from the fitting. Gained almost a whole club in irons and putting is much improved from where I was the past few seasons.

I've also heard good things about getting fit through Izett. I decided on CC over Izett simply due to the larger options they offered over Izett.

thanks for the feedback -- happy to hear that. Curious if you did try to price out your order through another place vs CC after you got your spec sheet??

I'm not looking to get into something super exotic -- I play AP2s right now.

Been fitted at CC. You can request any combo and they will oblige but I read in some other threads that they seem to gravitate toward certain brands and I ended up getting recommended similar brands than others.

That being said, they are full of knowledge and will let you try anything.

They do charge top dollar if you order from them.

Also use trackman but are inside, if being outside matters to you.

I work near White Clay and occasionally they'll put on outdoor fitting events. Did a trackman TM event there this year. Maybe give them a call and see what's coming up?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

thanks for the feedback -- happy to hear that. Curious if you did try to price out your order through another place vs CC after you got your spec sheet??

I'm not looking to get into something super exotic -- I play AP2s right now.

I knew the entire time I was going to use the spec sheet to order elsewhere either new or used with retrofitting. That's why I told them to avoid PXG, epoc, etc and stick with the major brands.

Ended up retrofitting some Jpx 900 tours with the shafts I was fitted into that I bought here off BST. Worked out great. Saved about $1200 from what CC would charge me.

However I did get the putter (Seemore ptm1) through them as it was actually cheaper than everywhere else by about $30, which was odd but I wasn't going to argue.

Sorry to be "that guy", but I had a terrible experience at CC Philly.

I am a 9 handicap, been playing for over 20 years, and decided to replace my 12+ year old irons and get my first ever real fitting. My fitter seemed pretty disinterested in my fitting. His attention was more to the bay next to me where another fitter was working with someone they both knew, or to his phone. He acted very smug and was dismissive when I asked him questions. Not once did I ever say anything impolite, disrespectful, or even remotely offensive. There was no reason for his attitude, with the exception that he was having a very bad day and took it out on me. And I paid for this! Not a great first fitting experience.

He had me try probably 5 different shafts and maybe 6 different heads until he decided what was best for me according to his numbers. I asked him if I could hit the Srixon 765, and he said "You won't be able to hit that". When I commented that I didn't like it when I looked down at the Cally Apex and could see the back of the club at address, his comment was "It's a good thing you don't hit with the back of the club". Now I get humor but this was not humor, just an a-hole comment and he continued to look at his phone. And I agree with another poster that he seemed to steer you in a particular direction, even though I told him I wasn't crazy about how the club looked at address that he was trying to push.

I did make the mistake of asking if I was doing something wrong with my setup in relation to the monitor, because I was getting really goofy numbers from their launch monitor. I usually hit my irons very straight or with a slight draw, but even with my own club his LM was saying I was hitting it pretty severely OTT and with a decent fade. I basically got dismissed and then preached to about how good their equipment is and that the readings were accurate. I showed the results to my instructor (with whom I use Trackman so I have a good idea of my numbers) and he was astonished and couldn't believe they were my numbers. His immediate thought was there was something wrong with the monitor. I felt pretty good hitting that day so I don't think it was my swing, but you never know.

I couldn't wait to get out of there, and at the end (under an hour including 10 minutes of pre-fitting question/answer session and his time to put together his quote) he gave me a quote for irons 4-GW for Mizuno 900 forged with Aerotech steelfiber 110s for $2300, then acted insulted when I didn't buy them on the spot when I said I would think about it. I was quickly shown the door by him thereafter. I had no interest in engaging him and letting him or his manager know about my dissatisfaction. I just wanted out of there.

Again, my apologies for being "that guy". I see others here had good experiences, and hope you do as well if you decide to go. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Your experience completely matched mine as well. It was very disappointing.

Sorry to be "that guy", but I had a terrible experience at CC Philly.

I am a 9 handicap, been playing for over 20 years, and decided to replace my 12+ year old irons and get my first ever real fitting. My fitter seemed pretty disinterested in my fitting. His attention was more to the bay next to me where another fitter was working with someone they both knew, or to his phone. He acted very smug and was dismissive when I asked him questions. Not once did I ever say anything impolite, disrespectful, or even remotely offensive. There was no reason for his attitude, with the exception that he was having a very bad day and took it out on me. And I paid for this! Not a great first fitting experience.

He had me try probably 5 different shafts and maybe 6 different heads until he decided what was best for me according to his numbers. I asked him if I could hit the Srixon 765, and he said "You won't be able to hit that". When I commented that I didn't like it when I looked down at the Cally Apex and could see the back of the club at address, his comment was "It's a good thing you don't hit with the back of the club". Now I get humor but this was not humor, just an a-hole comment and he continued to look at his phone. And I agree with another poster that he seemed to steer you in a particular direction, even though I told him I wasn't crazy about how the club looked at address that he was trying to push.

I did make the mistake of asking if I was doing something wrong with my setup in relation to the monitor, because I was getting really goofy numbers from their launch monitor. I usually hit my irons very straight or with a slight draw, but even with my own club his LM was saying I was hitting it pretty severely OTT and with a decent fade. I basically got dismissed and then preached to about how good their equipment is and that the readings were accurate. I showed the results to my instructor (with whom I use Trackman so I have a good idea of my numbers) and he was astonished and couldn't believe they were my numbers. His immediate thought was there was something wrong with the monitor. I felt pretty good hitting that day so I don't think it was my swing, but you never know.

I couldn't wait to get out of there, and at the end (under an hour including 10 minutes of pre-fitting question/answer session and his time to put together his quote) he gave me a quote for irons 4-GW for Mizuno 900 forged with Aerotech steelfiber 110s for $2300, then acted insulted when I didn't buy them on the spot when I said I would think about it. I was quickly shown the door by him thereafter. I had no interest in engaging him and letting him or his manager know about my dissatisfaction. I just wanted out of there.

Again, my apologies for being "that guy". I see others here had good experiences, and hope you do as well if you decide to go. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Was it Apex or JPX 900 Forged? I know they use one head first to find shaft, so it sounds like that was his starting point?

We started with the JPX 900 forged head and fitted for the shaft first, which makes perfect sense to me; I understand we keep one variable constant to start. For some reason I just wasn't crazy about the look at address, as much as I tried to convince myself.

I walked in there with an open mind. The only thing I told him was I wanted to eliminate PXG as I didn't want to spend that much. I had no idea what shaft or if I would still fit into a stiff shaft, since my driver swing speed is borderline 100-105 for stiff, and I am not as young or as in shape as I used to be!

My instructor thought his shaft recommendation could be a good fit just based off of what he has seen from me prior, but would not recommend anything without a proper fitting.

I took a flyer and purchased a used set of Srixon 745 with the Steelfiber i110 shaft, and had my pro adjust them for me. I love the setup, was considerably cheaper, and hit them well. They are much better than my old set. I will play them for a few years and seek another fitting then, but rest assured I will not go back to CC.

Not sure if you're up for a weekend trip into NYC, but there's True Spec. In addition, because it's nice out they do indoor (at Golf & Body NYC( and outdoor (at Trump Ferry Point) fittings. I'm splitting up a full big fitting between Tuesday and Wednesday, and can report back to you on my thoughts/customer service impression.

However, I will tell you that I'm going into the fitting and communicating my desire to be fit for Miura CB-57s, unless something else offers a clear performance edge (excluding PXG, because $$$).

I would echo the bad experience at cc with one fitter in particular. Steve is terrible. Jim is great. I would encourage you to email Jim, explain the situation, and ask for a refit or refund.

That's the guy I had, Steve. I am so put off by the experience I don't want to waste my time and get aggravated explaining it and asking for a refit or refund. I just wrote it off and moved on. It's unfortunate, because while I am not vengeful I will say to anyone who asks that I did not have a good experience there and would never go back. No need to go into details when asked as that itself says enough. There were at least 5 guys at my club who wanted to hear about my experience before going there themselves, and are now looking elsewhere. If Jim is great, I feel sorry for him because that facility is losing business because of Steve.

I realize this is more of a course/travel section but since im looking for local specific information I hope this is ok to post here...

I am looking into finally getting a full fitting for my full time iron set. plan to stash my current set at my in-laws in Florida for when I visit -- I have always just gone with straight OTR sets. Im curious if anyone has any good spots to get a fitting done around Philly. I work in Delaware around Newark so if there's any places near here that's an option as well.

The golf galaxy I go to usually has a lot of nice guys there but I just don't know they really have as much variety in shaft options for testing.

As I previously mentioned, I just had my full bag fitting with True Spec Golf at Golf & Body NYC (right in the heart of midtown Manhattan). In short, the experience was incredible. I broke up the fitting into 2 days--irons/wedges and woods--and the 2 fitters I worked with were incredibly responsive and respectful of my questions, explained all of the data points and what they were looking to achieve, and welcomed my input throughout the process (goals, feel, preferences). Despite going into the fitting expecting to leave with Miura CB-57s, I ultimately decided to instead go with Srixon Z 765s (Endo forged, same ball data, considerable savings).

Brief overview of the iron fitting, True Spec uses the GC Quad and we quickly took some data with my current gamer. After discussing my goals and reviewing my swing speed, we immediately started testing various head combinations with stiff and extra stiff shafts to discover the ideal combination. In the end, my fitter suggested the Srixons, Titleist AP2s, and TM P770s with the Nippon Modus, KBS CTaper, or Project X LZs. I was not pressured to make any decisions on the spot and within a couple hours I had a complete copy of the GC Quad data for every club and combination I hit. Only further highlighting the experience, when I returned the next day for my woods fitting, my fitter was kind enough to answer some follow up questions and offered (and even suggested) some other clubs I did not think to try the day before. Despite trying some new stuff (in particular, the Miura CB 1008s), it confirmed that I would really enjoy the Srixons.

If you can swing it, either day trip or make a weekend/mini vacation. If you can, maybe even send your wife off to SoJo Spa or some other place for the day so you can enjoy the fitting before taking her out to dinner and drinks.

As I previously mentioned, I just had my full bag fitting with True Spec Golf at Golf & Body NYC (right in the heart of midtown Manhattan). In short, the experience was incredible. I broke up the fitting into 2 days--irons/wedges and woods--and the 2 fitters I worked with were incredibly responsive and respectful of my questions, explained all of the data points and what they were looking to achieve, and welcomed my input throughout the process (goals, feel, preferences). Despite going into the fitting expecting to leave with Miura CB-57s, I ultimately decided to instead go with Srixon Z 765s (Endo forged, same ball data, considerable savings).

Brief overview of the iron fitting, True Spec uses the GC Quad and we quickly took some data with my current gamer. After discussing my goals and reviewing my swing speed, we immediately started testing various head combinations with stiff and extra stiff shafts to discover the ideal combination. In the end, my fitter suggested the Srixons, Titleist AP2s, and TM P770s with the Nippon Modus, KBS CTaper, or Project X LZs. I was not pressured to make any decisions on the spot and within a couple hours I had a complete copy of the GC Quad data for every club and combination I hit. Only further highlighting the experience, when I returned the next day for my woods fitting, my fitter was kind enough to answer some follow up questions and offered (and even suggested) some other clubs I did not think to try the day before. Despite trying some new stuff (in particular, the Miura CB 1008s), it confirmed that I would really enjoy the Srixons.

If you can swing it, either day trip or make a weekend/mini vacation. If you can, maybe even send your wife off to SoJo Spa or some other place for the day so you can enjoy the fitting before taking her out to dinner and drinks.

Thanks for the feedback. I also heard good things about them from someone else on here, but opted for CC since it was closer/easier. Won't make that mistake again.

Congrats on the Srixons. You'll love them!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at getting into another fitting for my driver. Curious to see if any has experienced both Club Champion and Izett? If so would any share their feelings on which one they would prefer? I have been to Club Champion about 5 or 6 years ago for a driver fitting. Good experience, however I don’t fully like their philosophy of getting the most launch and most carry. My driver I was fitted for, I hit extremely high and have noticed I don’t get that much roll. I do like CC selection of different brands to hit and test. I know a couple guys that have gone to Izett, I play with them and I like their ball flight a lot better. It looks a little lower and seems to jump off the face faster and get out quicker. A lot of the guys I know that have gone to Izett were fitted for XStiff shafts even though their swing speeds were right around 100. The thing that I don’t like about Izett, from what I have been told is he doesn’t have much of a selection to test out. If I am paying $600 + for a driver I want to test the shaft and head combined before the purchase.

Any insight on the 2 fitters would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

• 3 months later...

I've gone to both and didn't like my club champion experience. I felt like I was getting pushed to something I couldn't see the positives in. When I went to izett they don't carry all the heads and he doesn't have every shaft under the sun but what you do get is actual numbers like cc and then you hit them outside to see how the ball actually flies.

• 2 weeks later...

CC is having a sale now on fittings. In Philly, ask for Jim. I have never been pressured to buy after a session.

Tensei 1K Black S shaft TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

2nd swing golf opened up down near wilmington for anyone close to the border. i stopped in to check it out and they basically have a tour quality fitting setup. trackman on every hitting bay and a camera system for fittings (i forget what they called it). can stick any head on any shaft -- saw plenty of high end shafts (hzrdus, AD DIs, etc) that you would see in CC. not sure if they'd get into carrying the more high end exotic iron heads for fittings. the main fitter used to work at another store in the area then spent some time working for callaway -- he knows his stuff for sure. i am planning to check out some drivers as spring comes closer. on top of being able to order anything new -------my god do they have a ton of clubs in their vault that you can find some good deals on.