2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

club specs and set-ups of jack, gary and lee??

jmvargas

considering they are all now well into their 70s but still play occasionally iwould be very interested in knowing their club specs and set-ups..

anyone know this?

sori for double post..

PS: am turning 72 next month and have already changed to L flex in my longer clubs and even have a ladies 9 wood which i have added some lead tape to as it was too light but is now my reliable 140-150yd club..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering they are all now well into their 70s but still play occasionally iwould be very interested in knowing their club specs and set-ups..

anyone know this?

sori for double post..

PS: am turning 72 next month and have already changed to L flex in my longer clubs and even have a ladies 9 wood which i have added some lead tape to as it was too light but is now my reliable 140-150yd club..

I'm about the same age but in much worse shape. :)

To me, shaft flex does not change as much as we age. I'd say just step them down a step and play on. I recently played a fellow, also our age, who was unknowingly playing an x flex and forcing it to work. Great shape for a man my age. I told him about his shaft flex and he was way way surprised. He had bought it for the looks. Next time I met him on the fairway he showed me his driver, now fitted with a softer shaft. Shot length was reasonably the same add 10 yards or a bit more, but much more predictable as to direction and less taxing on the body. He thanked me.

Do the same for all woods and irons. The change is not necessarily visible but it can be felt. Just don't go overboard about getting softer. You get used to a feel and change always comes slowly even if the body demands it. Time will tell if you did the right thing, but you really need to give it a fair chance. Me, I try clubs over at least a six month period, which might explain my growing inventory.

Shambles

although i did change to A and L flex in my longer clubs i think going lighter rather than softer is the way to go as we age..

my A and L flex shafts are all in the 40-50 gm range and in the D5 swing weight range which feels just right so far..

my iron shafts are in the 60-65gm range which also works ok but my wedges are steel shafted..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

As we age our SS slows and yes we have to make changes. Now I am 10 years behind you guys but I have already seen the changes for me with age. 2 years ago I was still swinging the old UST Pro Force 65 Golds in most of my fairways and had a one of a kind Creation Tour Only Stiff in my driver. I was having problems getting them through. I had also noticed it gradually playing my stiff 7.0 Brunswicks in my VIPs and the Pro Pel 2s in my FCs. I ended up re shafting the VIPs with S-300 High Launch Shafts soft tipped 1x. Ended up going to the Diamana R -60 shafts in the metal woods. On the vintage side of things I ended up with a set of Mac Toski irons do not know what shafts are in them but I hit them good. Went into the Penna stash and found one with an R shaft that I hit good. Yep we evolve with age and we need to get our equipment in line with our swing. It was hard for me mental wise after all of these years hitting really stiff shafts to go to the R type but now I do not see it as a problem

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

although i did change to A and L flex in my longer clubs i think going lighter rather than softer is the way to go as we age..

my A and L flex shafts are all in the 40-50 gm range and in the D5 swing weight range which feels just right so far..

my iron shafts are in the 60-65gm range which also works ok but my wedges are steel shafted..

I see in your signature that you have a V-Steel 9 wood which is a rare bird in itself. I also have one that I call "Little Chicago" because that is where the generous Wrx member that gave it to me is from. It is not in the front line bag now but it is always at ready reserve along with my V-Steel 7 wood

I see in your signature that you have a V-Steel 9 wood which is a rare bird in itself. I also have one that I call "Little Chicago" because that is where the generous Wrx member that gave it to me is from. It is not in the front line bag now but it is always at ready reserve along with my V-Steel 7 wood

yes although it is actually my back-up 9 wood nowadays and it is also L flex..

the mizuno intage 9 wood is a bit more reliable for now..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

oooh, V-steel 9w! I've only seen the 2005 edition of the 9w.

I'd quite like to get my hands on an original V-steel 9w, as I have the T/S, 4w, and 7w.

The 7w is just a great club.

not sure of the year model but my V-steel 9wood has the original MAS2 engineered for V-steel ultralite L flex shaft..

will not be surprised if they only made the 9wood in L flex...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I'd quite like to get my hands on an original V-steel 9w, as I have the T/S, 4w, and 7w.

not sure of the year model but my V-steel 9wood has the original MAS2 engineered for V-steel ultralite L flex shaft..

I stopped caring about such a long time ago. About the time I learned to change shafts. These days my only concern is what shafts are available and if I can afford them plus grips. Even that level can add up to a fair bit of change, so I do a hefty amount of thinking before acting.

Shambles

Worth checking the specs on the 9 before you go chasing it. Loft creep on fws can be even worse than in irons. I've got a set of original Steelhead fws, 3, 5, 7 and 9 - and every single club goes further than a well struck 3 iron, which makes me think that at least 2 out of that set of 4 clubs is really redundant.

Worth checking the specs on the 9 before you go chasing it. Loft creep on fws can be even worse than in irons. I've got a set of original Steelhead fws, 3, 5, 7 and 9 - and every single club goes further than a well struck 3 iron, which makes me think that at least 2 out of that set of 4 clubs is really redundant.

Fair enough, though for me the 7w fills a nice gap between 4w and 3i. It's the same loft as my 3i (or stronger if I'm player an older iron set), but with the longer shaft it goes further. It was a hard gap to fill, so I'm really happy with the club.

The 9w would probably not see that much course time, but I think it would be a useful club for winter golf, when the long irons are so much harder to hit.

my V-steel 9wood has a marked loft of 24*..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

The 9w (shafted GD YS-6+) has become my favorite club in the bag. Versatile from 150 -165 ('ish) depending on ball position in stance and how gripped. Great club for an old guy golfer, as I don't carry an iron below a 6. Gives me a nice high ball flight that I wasn't getting out of a 23* hybrid. Plus, stupid easy to hit straight. Bought it cheaply last fall, nobody bid on it because it had a L flex shaft. Strange. So easy to reshaft, either straight in (.350) or shimmed.

Also have a V-steel 3W and 5W (Grafalloy Epic and Grafalloy PL Platinum respectively) that are utilized. Although the 5W typically is not in the bag unless I'm playing a shorter course. Feel that I'm sacrificing some distance when hitting the 5w. Compared to the 3 that I hit rather well, all things considered.

Always on the lookout for a fresh 4w and 7w, if for no other reason than rounding out the V-steel family. Could easily go 4w, 7w, 9w to cover all fairway distance contingencies. Had a T/S for a hot minute, but to difficult for me to get the ball in the air wth my SS. I drank the Kool-Aid after reading the "Band of Brothers" thread. The V-Steels are a solid fairway lineup. Probably to "new" to be considered a classic. But they will stand the test of time and 20 years from now will be so labeled just like the classic Cally metals.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

i have a 16.5* 4wood and a 17* 4wood which is 1/2" shorter and i play them as my 3 and 5wood substitutes..

both are really reliable with the 17* about 5-10 yards shorter..

they also have the more modern larger clubheads and although i like my v-steel 9wood the mizuno has the larger clubhead which is visually a bit more appealing to m eye..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

i have a 16.5* 4wood and a 17* 4wood which is 1/2" shorter and i play them as my 3 and 5wood substitutes..

they also have the more modern larger clubheads and although i like my v-steel 9wood the mizuno has the larger clubhead which is visually a bit more appealing to m eye..

Interesting. I wouldn't carry two long clubs that are that close in yardage. That strikes me as being redundant. I want 15-20 yards gap in my long clubs, but then I generally carry a short set most of the time.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

If I recall, the loft gaps between the 5-7-9 was only 2*. Probably better off skipping the 7 and going 3-5-9, for better gapping

Interesting. I wouldn't carry two long clubs that are that close in yardage. That strikes me as being redundant. I want 15-20 yards gap in my long clubs, but then I generally carry a short set most of the time.

that would be correct in most instances..

with my present distance limitations however i find i need my long clubs to be as reliable and as long as possible to enable me to reach the longer holes which for me is any hole more than 370 yds nowadays..

the 16.5* is my 2nd longest club for 170-180yds and the 17* is very reliable at around 160yds+ and also with a higher trajectory..

i can also choke the 17* anytime i need to while the 16.5* is normally hit full bore..

btw i also had the v-steel 5 and 7 woods and i believe the gaps were 3*...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

If I recall, the loft gaps between the 5-7-9 was only 2*. Probably better off skipping the 7 and going 3-5-9, for better gapping

With the original V-steels, the lofts went:

T/S: 13*

3w: 15*

4w: 16.5*

5w: 18*

7w: 21*

9w: 24*

However, the 2005(?) edition of the V-steel featured a 22* 9w.

i had all these V-steels at one time...still have the club head for the 15* 3 wood and of course the 9 wood..

btw was there ever a V-steel driver?

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

i had all these V-steels at one time...still have the club head for the 15* 3 wood and of course the 9 wood..

btw was there ever a V-steel driver?

No, I'm pretty sure there wasn't, but the sole design has some similarities with the 500 series of drivers (such such as the 510, 540, and 580). There were many versions of there drivers, and I don't much about them, but the 510 I tried in a second hand shop felt pretty good and not unlike a V-steel.

nice discussions here but does anyone have any answers to my original question?

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

The old Mizuno TO woods of my youth had a 15* three wood and the four and five were 18* and 22* respectively. Strengthening of lofts here as well, but three wood hasn't changed as this makes sense for most people getting the ball up off the ground.

Old Taylor Made brassie and spoon! Brilliant. 12* and 13*. Still great clubs.

They made them in both regular and stiff. If I remember correctly my 7 wood came with a stiff when I got it new around 05 or so. I ended up cracking the tip in that shaft and put a UST Pro Force Gold 65 in it. When the gracious fellow WRXer sent me the 9 wood it had a stock TM regular in it. I put a Pro Force Gold in it too. In fact that 9 wood shaft resides in my running partner's V-Steel 7 wood. You can see both of them residing in my bag when I posted my WITB some years ago

Nope the 9 wood was 24* the 7 wood was 21 and the 5 wood was 18

Nope the 9 wood was 24* the 7 wood was 21 and the 5 wood was 18

Really? May have been a release for the Japanese market then, because the TM site shows the 2005 V-steel had the 9w at 22*:

https://taylormadego...rways_2005.html

The 7w was also 20* in the 2005 release, as opposed to 21* in the original, and there was no 4w.

The 2008 V-steel lineup went back to a 21* 7w, but didn't feature a 9w, at least not in Japan according to the Japanese TM website.

The lofts I posted above were for the Original V-steel, which are down as a 2003 release according to the Japanese TM website.

Edit:

I found a pic of the 22* 9w from the 2005 V-steel lineup. NOTE, these are not the original (and best IMHO) V-steels.

http://shop.golfdigest.co.jp/used/f/dmg_5000777366