2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Love that Kombi, DC.

I could see it with the TM slant neck that I'm rocking.

Have you seen the odyssey 7S? The regular 7 is a putter I’ve always like the looks of, but rolled it a few times and didn’t work out. That was the standard double bend. They now make it with the TM slant neck and they can be counterbalance. It is somewhat similar to the SI I turned you on to, but less fugly. Think I may pick one up and send the SI to continental (thanks DC)

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

So I bought the Kombi as a 34" with intention of putting an extension in the shaft. Is there any reason putting a new Super Stroke Countercore grip in it - and rather than putting it on completely leaving it an inch short of on - wouldnt work? Rather than putting on the extension I was thinking that the end of the countercore weight might do the same thing for only an inch. IMO the grips themselves probably would do the trick on their own but with the weight too - seems like it might work.

Got home today to check out some roof repair that was done. Guys not only showed up on time but they were gone and cleaned up by the time I got home - perfect work.

Naturally as I went out back to check things out I noticed the heat pump had crapped out. This is shaping up to be an expensive week.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

New Hive event 2018 - Push Cart Endurance Test Gmen vs 827. First day in the 80s with 90+ humidity.

No problem

Sure on that?

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

So I bought the Kombi as a 34" with intention of putting an extension in the shaft. Is there any reason putting a new Super Stroke Countercore grip in it - and rather than putting it on completely leaving it an inch short of on - wouldnt work? Rather than putting on the extension I was thinking that the end of the countercore weight might do the same thing for only an inch. IMO the grips themselves probably would do the trick on their own but with the weight too - seems like it might work.

Got home today to check out some roof repair that was done. Guys not only showed up on time but they were gone and cleaned up by the time I got home - perfect work.

Naturally as I went out back to check things out I noticed the heat pump had crapped out. This is shaping up to be an expensive week.

A) the insert itself has the foam around the end to keep it from rattling. I’m not sure what it’s OD is, but if it’s not squished pretty well, it will rattle. I added an insert to a putter and it rattled because it ended up not being seated far enough down the original shaft. Also, this would be the “anchor” of the extension since the insert is smaller than the ID of the shaft. It would probably still have a lot of play in that last inch.

B) the only thing that holds the countercore in is soft plastic threads. The female portion of the threads is glued to the end of the grip. Mine has worked itself loose just from normal use. I don’t think it would be strong enough to essentially act as another anchor point of the extension.

C) I unsuccessfully installed a SS about an inch short of it fully seating. Thought I wouldn’t mind, played it once and cut it off. They are ridgid, but still very noticeable any time you grab the end of the putter.

D) do you want the kombi to be CB or just heavy in the grip? If you want CB, you may want to buy a new shaft and go 36+ inches to get the performance. Kombi is a standard double bend? Those are cheap on eBay.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Love that Kombi, DC.

I could see it with the TM slant neck that I'm rocking.

Have you seen the odyssey 7S? The regular 7 is a putter I’ve always like the looks of, but rolled it a few times and didn’t work out. That was the standard double bend. They now make it with the TM slant neck and they can be counterbalance. It is somewhat similar to the SI I turned you on to, but less fugly. Think I may pick one up and send the SI to continental (thanks DC)

the odyssey putters this year, you can get pretty much any head/shaft type combo.

There's a big article at the site that shall not be named from mid January about how you can get 32 putters this year.

They're nice looking but I'm still pretty happy with ugly ghost spider.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did you guys see the Callaway/Titleist twitter war?

Yesterday, I was looking for a headcover for my hybrid and discovered I had a entire box of brand new lamkin grips I totally forgot I had. LOL. But, the grips on the JPX-900's I got this winter are in good shape, so no biggie.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did you guys see the Callaway/Titleist twitter war?

Yesterday, I was looking for a headcover for my hybrid and discovered I had a entire box of brand new lamkin grips I totally forgot I had. LOL. But, the grips on the JPX-900's I got this winter are in good shape, so no biggie.

Great stuff. ProV kick that POS's Word not allowed. Hey, language. My kids read this stuff. Then they already know.

And Callaway is really arguing that loft doesn't matter? They claim to have adjusted the CG so much that a 3 iron now plays to the same launch and distance specs as a 4 iron. That seems hard to believe. This is how they argue the new lofts don't matter in their distance claims.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Are the grips you found ilines, city? I want to buy them from you if they are. I love those grips, and they've stopped making them.

whatever they are, I'm probably keeping them.

I don't need grips now, but I will next spring. I regrip almost every year, so I probably bought these when I saw cheap grips.

Also, I don't think they are iLines.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Thanks for checking. I definitely try to stock up on grips I like when I see them on sale. I neglected to do so last time I saw the i-lines go on sale. Turns out they were closing them out for good. Bummer.

The garage was popping off last night. I had a quick refresher on what the next piece is for me, and then cleared the stage for 2MT's lesson. It was cool to observe, and see what they were working on. I was taking mental notes, so I could type them out to share with 2MT after. The guy works harder on his game than anybody else on here, so I'm excited to see how he progresses. I think it's going to be the kind of thing that helps him break through from a good 4-5 down into the lower single digits.

Thanks for checking. I definitely try to stock up on grips I like when I see them on sale. I neglected to do so last time I saw the i-lines go on sale. Turns out they were closing them out for good. Bummer.

The garage was popping off last night. I had a quick refresher on what the next piece is for me, and then cleared the stage for 2MT's lesson. It was cool to observe, and see what they were working on. I was taking mental notes, so I could type them out to share with 2MT after. The guy works harder on his game than anybody else on here, so I'm excited to see how he progresses. I think it's going to be the kind of thing that helps him break through from a good 4-5 down into the lower single digits.

Those TV guys work hard. They will make a more formidable opponent the next time we versus them. PQ and Fabb (little to no work on the game) vs City and 2MT (callused hands-llevel effort). In the words of Bruce Buffer - It's time!

Just found the old order. They're REL ACE or whatever.

Those should be perfect for Fabb. They're designed for folks with arthritis.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Those TV guys work hard. They will make a more formidable opponent the next time we versus them. PQ and Fabb (little to no work on the game) vs City and 2MT (callused hands-llevel effort). In the words of Bruce Buffer - It's time!

They do work hard, but don't get it twisted - we've got more cans of this in stock

giphy.gif

Question for the group: What are the absolute roughest grips you can get. I'm talking cords on cords.

I had the Pure DTX on my driver and it was really good, but want to know if there's something better. I'm trying to get to a place where I don't need a glove if I don't want to wear one.

I want calluses to pick.

Question for the group: What are the absolute roughest grips you can get. I'm talking cords on cords.

I had the Pure DTX on my driver and it was really good, but want to know if there's something better. I'm trying to get to a place where I don't need a glove if I don't want to wear one.

I want calluses to pick.

Easy. Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. Great grips. Very rough, and you can sandpaper the cord a bit to make them even more "grabby." They need to be cleaned often, otherwise they won't last long before getting slick (the cord soaks up oils and whatnot).

Cameron Newport, 34"

I want calluses to pick.

Lamkin Crossline Cord. There's not a more densely corded grip available. An all time favorite of mine. I've still got some stashed. If you've got time, bring a club Saturday, and we can stop by my house to toss one on there for you to try.

2420oy.jpg

I want calluses to pick.

Easy. Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. Great grips. Very rough, and you can sandpaper the cord a bit to make them even more "grabby." They need to be cleaned often, otherwise they won't last long before getting slick (the cord soaks up oils and whatnot).

that's the one thing I don't want to have to do. Cleaning grips often is a non-starter. That probably happens with every corded grip though.

I want calluses to pick.

that's the one thing I don't want to have to do. Cleaning grips often is a non-starter. That probably happens with every corded grip though.

Yes. It will. Just wipe it down with a wet towel after you play, and wash as-needed. Should be fine. They are expensive, so if you don't take care of them and need to change them a lot, it's, well, costly. All full cord grips are about $10/grip.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I want calluses to pick.

Maybe PQ is just oily. I always found cord grips to last longer than just about anything. Didn't find myself having to clean them more than any other grips.

Fabb is he using your buddy to take lessons. How much is the LM helping in this process?

Yeah, my buddy came down and we did the lesson at my house actually.

The Trackman was there mainly just to monitor where the ball flight started, and the effects swing changes were having on it. It's not like my buddy was over there studying the Trackman numbers looking for the answer. For a reference, he had 2MT hitting some normal shots to get a baseline at the start of the lesson and watch his swing. 2MT was aiming where directly down range was considered to be, and every single shot was 40 yards left of center line. He finished the lesson up hitting balls with a segmented type swing drill, and every single ball was flying right down the center line.

After observing last night, I'll double down on my appreciation of his blend of using the tech for feedback, as opposed to some kind of diagnostic tool with all the answers. He actually didn't take videos of 2MT's "before" swing and show them to him, because he keyed in on how 2MT can get kind of mental micro-dissecting himself.

City you only regrip once a year as much as you play. I do it three times a year and you play as much as me.

With all the laying up to 150 you do, I'd think you'd only have to replace your 5 iron grip.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You should try the Lamkin Grip Wipes if you don’t want to clean them often. One wipe should do a couple grips. They smell like they’ve got rubbing alcohol in them. That’s what we used to clean the oil off of our bowling balls back when they were urethane and not resin. I got a pack of the wipes a couple years back when they were blowing out The I Lines.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I had the GP Z Grip cord for a long time. Hard to think there's a rougher grip out there.

I like the Lamkin UTX cords espcially when they are $3 a piece or so. I regrip twice a year so it does cut down on the cost a bit.

Second the recommendation on the Lamkin Gripes, I buy them off Amazon and they are pretty cheap.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash