2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Trip Planning finer details

When should you start booking tee times for courses? Will be going in August so I assume busy. And are these paid at the course?

I plan to go ahead and book townhouse in St. Andrews. Will be left with flight and car rental to set up.

Playing:

Prestwick

Royal Troon

Turnberry

Carnoustie

Castle Course

Kingsbarns

And leaving 3 open days to 48 ballot for the Old Course. Maybe play the New Course and Western Gailes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start booking tee times now. I went in April (not prime season) and had tee times booked in October (waited till we had Old Course Tee time) and courses were probably 40% booked.

All tee times are pre-paid.

Skip the Castle course.

And you probably don't have to leave open days. Book golf every day and then if you get on through the ballot, the courses will move your times around.

Consider a three day Links ticket to play New, Jubilee, and Caste with potential replays.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

We're staying in St Andrews for 7 nights (next August) and already have booked tee times at Carnoustie and Kingsbarns.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Start booking tee times now. I went in April (not prime season) and had tee times booked in October (waited till we had Old Course Tee time) and courses were probably 40% booked.

Skip the Castle course.

And you probably don't have to leave open days. Book golf every day and then if you get on through the ballot, the courses will move your times around.

Consider a three day Links ticket to play New, Jubilee, and Caste with potential replays.

You think Carnoustie and Kingsbarns would move tee times around? Even to different days than booked? I will be in St. Andrews Sun-Friday. So I could ballot 5 days in a row if need be? Even on the two days I have Carnoustie and Kingsbarns booked?

Also, I am not interested in Castle Course much. Other guy in group is. I would much rather play New and Jubilee.

We're staying in St Andrews for 7 nights (next August) and already have booked tee times at Carnoustie and Kingsbarns.

August is when we are going. I better get on it then. I think this August will be more popular than most since you would have to wait until after July if you are playing Carnoustie.

Skip the Castle course.

You think Carnoustie and Kingsbarns would move tee times around? Even to different days than booked? I will be in St. Andrews Sun-Friday. So I could ballot 5 days in a row if need be? Even on the two days I have Carnoustie and Kingsbarns booked?

Also, I am not interested in Castle Course much. Other guy in group is. I would much rather play New and Jubilee.

When I was there in April, we switched our tee time at Kingsbarn to a different day because we entered the lottery for Old Course (Got to play it two days in a row). I would suggest talking to the folks at Carnoustie and Kingsbarn when you book and ask them if they are flexible. From what I understand, this is a common occurrence for them because so many people enter the daily ballot.

The New Course and Jubilee are terrific. I actually think the New is a great introduction to Links golf. If you can, play it first.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Prestwick is a blast, but it's a long drive from St. Andrews - probably at least 2 1/2 hours each way.

Don't know about Carnoustie, but Kingsbarns has been pretty good about moving times around for people trying to play The Old Course. They seem to understand they aren't the primary draw in the area.

Break up the trip. 3 days in Troon area and 6 in St. Andrews. I would only do ballot when staying in that are. Would they move tee times to different days?

Prestwick is a blast, but it's a long drive from St. Andrews - probably at least 2 1/2 hours each way.

Don't know about Carnoustie, but Kingsbarns has been pretty good about moving times around for people trying to play The Old Course. They seem to understand they aren't the primary draw in the area.

Break up the trip. 3 days in Troon area and 6 in St. Andrews. I would only do ballot when staying in that are. Would they move tee times to different days?

Agree. I didn’t really mean to only single out Prestwick as a long drive, as all the Ayrshire courses are also a long way from St Andrews. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to spend at least 5-6 hours a day on the road for 3 days of a short 7 day stay.

What time is usually good for tee times over there? Do you want to get out by 8 AM to play and have rest of day for whatever else or another 18? Or getting the 9-10 am after long nights at the bar? I guess our group is diverse there.

We played in the afternoon each day so we could get up and walk around, have some breakfast. Dinner and Drinks after the rounds. Most of the pubs stop serving food around 8, so be done before 7. We also played in the afternoon because we drank each night till pretty late.

For late night food, check out the Whey Pat's Haggis Nachos!!!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

• 2 weeks later...

Skip the Castle course.

Play the New Course or Elie, not Castle. As far as Carnoustie and Kingsbarns, they are hard to move, Carnoustie much harder than Kingsbarns. Best advice: book Carnoustie now, and play it on Sunday, because the Old Course isn't open Sunday so there's no chance of needing a bump. But get on it, because everyone knows that trick. Kingsbarns will accommodate if they can if you need to switch.

You can't drive to the West Coast 3 days. Do 3 days in the West. We stayed a mile from Troon..... http://www.southbeac...each.co.uk/ If you are willing to do 1 drive go to North Berwick. This year we stayed in Troon, St Andrews and Edinburgh for North Berwick, Muirfiled and Gullane

Doing 2 nights in the West. 3 rounds of golf there at Turnberry, Western Gailes, and Dundonald Links. Then after 3rd round head to St. Andrews for 7 nights.

It is often observed that Americans look at a map of Scotland and imagine a course 100 miles away as being a quick hour and a half on the Interstate each way, easy drive before and after a round of golf. I know from my times visiting Scotland, England and Wales that my USA-based mental map of what is an easy day trip does not apply.

It is often observed that Americans look at a map of Scotland and imagine a course 100 miles away as being a quick hour and a half on the Interstate each way, easy drive before and after a round of golf. I know from my times visiting Scotland, England and Wales that my USA-based mental map of what is an easy day trip does not apply.

I'm starting to get a sense of that just looking at photographs/scenery/roads and plotting out options for getting out and seeing things in various areas we will be in addition to the golf. Trying to pay attention to the cautions about how much time it actually takes to get places. And in some areas we will be traveling through we won't want to be in a hurry - lots to see.

I'm starting to get a sense of that just looking at photographs/scenery/roads and plotting out options for getting out and seeing things in various areas we will be in addition to the golf. Trying to pay attention to the cautions about how much time it actually takes to get places. And in some areas we will be traveling through we won't want to be in a hurry - lots to see.

Not to mention that driving a vehicle on the other side of the road takes a great deal of mental energy. Driving over the Tay Road Bridge in a rain storm was no fun!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

When we first thought about doing a trip to the Balvenie Distillery on an off day, from St Andrews they told us its @ 110 miles - and to plan on 3+ hours each way.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

If by really high you mean coach for around $1,500-2,000 that's about the norm for summer peak season USA-UK travel. Wait until Labor Day and some flights under $1,500 will start to appear.

In my experience the best deals have mostly popped up around 6-9 months prior to the trip. Not when they first go on sale 11 months out but not at the last minute either. For September trips to England a couple times a good fare popped right around Christmas Day of all things.

For international travel 4 - 6 months out generally gets you best deals.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

I booked flights within 3 days of finding out for our trip next June, so about 8 months out. Needed 4 tickets and no way was I going to wait around for a "deal" for several months. Based on my notes from looking during winter last year, i.e. maybe buying in January for June, I am really happy with the prices we got and that worry was checked off. FYI, ours were $1082 each inclusive of all taxes and fees Minneapolis to Amsterdam to Edinburgh (KLM). Certain days of the week did make a difference. Had our lodging sorted out within a few days of that, and again, nice to have it done and out of the way and found some unique and great deals for 11 of our 13 nights. Like to have those things covered early, but had done a lot of lodging research waiting for the lottery results and last winter when still kind of dreaming about going vs. actually deciding.

I'm headed over in August 2018 and managed to get a Norwegian Air flight out of Newburgh, NY to Edinburgh for $620. By far the cheapest I've seen (by like $500,) Yes, its not a brand name airline by I read some reviews and it seems fine.

Wow, that’s a great find! Out of 10 UK trips I’ve only been under $900 once and that was years ago.

How many connections does that flight make?