53 Precisions

Equalizer-

Somewhere among these postings.

Charley Penna caddied for Byron Nelson, and has posted a photo of the exhibition.

Charley also posted exactly what clubs Byron Nelson used then.

You can look for the recently posted MacGregor Tommy Armour Ben Hogan Model Persimmon wood sets.

..and the MacGregor Ben Hogan "Personal Model" irons he used in 1953.

Am not sure one would call either these woods or irons "store line" models.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey rex,

Thanks for the tip. Managed to find the post you mentioned. So the equipment for Mr. Nelson is cleared up now. Just don't know model specifics like "recorded", 3852MS, Personal Model, etc. But for all intents and purposes the big questions of Mr. Nelson's set have been answered for me, now thanks to Mr. Penna.

As for the Mac Hogan equipment. Reading the Kaplan book, you are right there was the Tommy Armour "H" Model. However, that explains the fact that we know Mr. Hogan had a pro only wood. I am still just confused about the irons. Since the personal models like the recently sold 53's were his "personal" model, I would assume he had access to the finest custom sets. So needless to say the model was not reserved just for store line. I was actually wondering more along the lines of if teevon's short irons were from one of Mr. Hogan's actual sets, or was his personal model available to the public through pro shop custom orders?

All the versions of the "concentrated weight" design I have seen even in Kaplan are all store line with the shamrock stamp. Plus that seems to be the consensus on many of the older threads here, so I was excited to know if the 7,8,9 irons were evidence that Mac did at some point launch a pro only H model iron based on his personal model for purchase by the public. Perhaps if they did it was through their custom department and a special order only type thing? Either that or maybe they were from the custom department and somebody asked for an exact replica of Mr. Hogan's irons? Or could they really just have been his? So many other possibilities as . Was hoping there could be more light shed on this by teevons is all.

Also, it's actually the 53 auction along with the accompanying 1037 1 iron and 3852 1 iron that went before that got me intrigued in the first place.

Not to mention the other personal model set that went in auction with the unmatching rec 585 #5 iron and the the Ben Hogan Tourney Irons that looked rechromed and a bit suspicious. Looked like Armour irons just Ben Hogan stamped into the top instead of "Tommy Armour Silver Scot". Realize Mr. Nelson has a similar thing with the 3852MS, so not outside the realm of possibility that starting from lets say about 1947 Mr. Hogan had pro-line irons released by Mac, but I don't know that for sure, so just trying to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Thanks as always rex you have helped me so much. Always appreciate your time.

• 2 months later...

Gents,

Picked up a 2-9 set of 1954 boxed-groove Precisions a few years back - serial number E311M on the ferrules. These were gamed back in the day at both Shady Oaks and River Crest Country Clubs in Fort Worth, TX (based on the original owner's shaft labels still on the TT Rocket shafts).

After a bit of research, it turns out the original owner, a Mr. L. F. Peterson, was a well-known and well-to-do oil man: https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/items/show/93934 To this day, Texas A&M University maintains the L. F. Peterson ʼ36 Endowed Chair in Petroleum Engineering in the Harold Vance Department of Petroleum Engineering, College of Engineering.

Given his status and club memberships, one can only assume he encountered Mr. Hogan every now and again. Now that's provenance.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

teevons,

Thank you for the background - both on the serial number and Hogan's oil well connection. Have you seen the E-prefixed serial number on boxed-groove Precisions before now? As you've noted elsewhere on the forum, the boxed grooves were the earliest production version although very few hit the streets. It could be this E311M serial number (as opposed to "Experimental" or "X") was the final boxed-groove variant put into play before the decision to eliminate boxed grooves entirely.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

Notice the E in serial number designating experimental, usually the boxed grooves are stamped experimental on ferrule, some I have seen just have an X stamped on ferrule

teevons,

Have you seen the E-prefixed serial number on boxed-groove Precisions before now? As you've noted elsewhere on the forum, the boxed grooves were the earliest production version although very few hit the streets. It could be this E311M serial number (as opposed to "Experimental" or "X") was the final boxed-groove variant put into play before the decision to eliminate boxed grooves entirely.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

It appears the E-prefixed serial number was also used on early non-box grooved Precision iron production models. Attached images are from a very clean 1954/55 Precision 2-9 iron and 1-4 Precision wood set that sold for $265.00 on the "Bay" within the last three weeks (the listing is still posted in the sold section).

Note the non-box grooved 2 iron face and E311P serial number on the ferrule.

Shade Ruff

Gents,

Picked up a 2-9 set of 1954 boxed-groove Precisions a few years back - serial number E311M on the ferrules. These were gamed back in the day at both Shady Oaks and River Crest Country Clubs in Fort Worth, TX (based on the original owner's shaft labels still on the TT Rocket shafts).

After a bit of research, it turns out the original owner, a Mr. L. F. Peterson, was a well-known and well-to-do oil man: https://library.uta....tems/show/93934 To this day, Texas A&M University maintains the L. F. Peterson ʼ36 Endowed Chair in Petroleum Engineering in the Harold Vance Department of Petroleum Engineering, College of Engineering.

Given his status and club memberships, one can only assume he encountered Mr. Hogan every now and again. Now that's provenance.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

One more thing of note. The green True Temper shaft labels on this very early production Precision set do not indicate shaft flex. They all read "True Temper Rocket." The word "Rocket" is immediately followed by a white, five-pointed star.

Shade Ruff

I thought the star indicated stiff and regular had the 'R'on it? I've had green rocket shafts with both markings. I also have a sand wedge with 2 stars on the shaft band, which feels extremely stiff.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I thought the star indicated stiff and regular had the 'R'on it? I've had green rocket shafts with both markings. I also have a sand wedge with 2 stars on the shaft band, which feels extremely stiff.

baloo,

Thanks for your take - it may well be. At some point, however, True Temper included the letter "S" on its green Rocket label to denote stiff flex. Image is a TT Rocket "S" flex shaft in a '57 Precision 9 iron.

Shade Ruff

baloo,

Thanks for your take - it may well be. At some point, however, True Temper included the letter "S" on its green Rocket label to denote stiff flex. Image is a TT Rocket "S" flex shaft in a '57 Precision 9 iron.

Shade Ruff

I could be wrong and can't seem to find info on it. Would love if someone can clarify.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Notice the E in serial number designating experimental, usually the boxed grooves are stamped experimental on ferrule, some I have seen just have an X stamped on ferrule

teevons,

Have you seen the E-prefixed serial number on boxed-groove Precisions before now? As you've noted elsewhere on the forum, the boxed grooves were the earliest production version although very few hit the streets. It could be this E311M serial number (as opposed to "Experimental" or "X") was the final boxed-groove variant put into play before the decision to eliminate boxed grooves entirely.

Regards,

Shade Ruff

It appears the E-prefixed serial number was also used on early non-box grooved Precision iron production models. Attached images are from a very clean 1954/55 Precision 2-9 iron and 1-4 Precision wood set that sold for $265.00 on the "Bay" within the last three weeks (the listing is still posted in the sold section).

Note the non-box grooved 2 iron face and E311P serial number on the ferrule.

Shade Ruff

Those are exactly like mine

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 2 weeks later...

So i take it mine are 1954 because they look exactly like the one in your middle photo. I got mislead I guess from reading on here and I know Eilidon's friend goes by the screen name 53 Precision. Mine do not look as good as the one you posted but then again I am playing mine. Super Dan graciously sent me the 8 iron to match and I got it today. They are going front line again Saturday along with the Cameo Equalizer. As good as I hit the Cameo if I continue to hit it as well as I do it will be in the bag even with Macgregors. Absolutely can not get over how smooth those irons hit stock and to boot 64 years old!!

Edit-- Personally I never liked boxed grooves even on Macgregors I always liked the diamonds on the sides. That was why I never was a big fan of the 985s or what I call a remake set which were the Macgregor Tours

I go by '53 Precision precisely because of the urban myth they exist. As Teevon explained they do not. Actually the letter Mr. Hogan sent out to announce his company is dated December, 1953 and there is a Hogan Co. ad referring to the first batch of irons from '54 not being up to his standards and thus he ordered their destruction. Some of these made it out of the factory but probably not many.

• 1 month later...

baloo,

Shade Ruff

I could be wrong and can't seem to find info on it. Would love if someone can clarify.

Finally tracked down this information. For the original green rocket shafts:

No star - medium

1 star - stiff

2 stars - extra stiff

I have one sand wedge with 2 stars and it's a pole.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, sambking said:

I just picked up a Ben Hogan Precision 4-iron. It has a 3.5" hosel and knurling rather than the rings at the top of the hosel. What year club would this be?

Thanks for the help!

Sam

1955 or 1956.  What assembly number is on the ferrule?  

Edited by T308