53 Precisions

Hit a holy grail find last week on the yard or actually a Hogan Holy Grail find. Found the following

Set of 53 Precisions missing the 8 iron and wedge but had the leather grips in great shape. Not beat up at all mostly only surface rust--- Rest of the story later

Partial set of 68 Bounce Sole Plus 1--- 6 thru 9 iron and the 2 iron

White Cameo 9 iron and Equalizer Apex pro shafts pristine shape

Sorta modern but worth mentioning TM R-11 driver sorta rough TM stiff shaft-- this will also play into the story later

Wilson JP II 55* SW-- Lots of offset but this is in the story later too

The week before I had found a Tommy Armour IM-5 PGA Ironmaster putter I think may be a late 50s model. Now it was bent in the neck and I needed to work on it--- Yep I worked on it and it will also be featured in the story later.

I was so excited on finding the Precisions I almost wet my pants. Now on the yard they do sort the bins and put all the clubs aside for me and the boss to look at. I put a $20 bounty for anyone finding the 8 iron and PW and a $10 bounty on the other stuff so trust me those guys look really good. No dice on these bins but they may come in on another bin I hope but do not really think so

Also found a full matching set of left handed Hogan Radials woods and all full set nothing missing. Ended up giving them to my buddy Bear's son that we call Balls because he is a lefty. In that haul I also found a later model Bulls Eye and I think it went with that set so I gave him that too!! All of the haul total at scrap prices was around $5

I ended up sending a PM to Teevons and HAB on the find--- I had not really had time to work with them until Friday night. Tim and I thought I may have found a Ladies set until I did further examination. The shafts were the same TT shafts as what was in my 53 Mac Toski irons and the same length too. Did the coke soak thing and they cleaned up nice

Typical Stu fashion I decided to play a really mixed bag Saturday morning and decided to do an all junkpile find. Threw the 53s in with the 8 iron out of the 68s and the Cameo Equalizer. I had took the Armour putter and bent it back to fit my eye and weighted it up with 8 grams of lead tape. The grip was iffy so I wrapped the grip with black athletic tape threw it in the bag too. Put the JP in which turned out to be a mistake too much offset on this one for me. I threw the R-11 in too never having hit one but did throw one of my adjusting wrenches too. Threw in a V-Steel 5 wood I found a couple of weeks ago and had a all Junk Pile Refugee bag

Kinda a screw ball round and could have really been good if I had made some wiser club selection decisions before I hit the first tee. That R-11 the shaft was too stiff and I hit some bad drives in fact went to the 5 wood and 2 iron off the tee after several bad drives. The JP had too much offset and I ended up hitting 2 Senior Hosel shots with it which I tend to do with too much offset. Man those Precision irons are the cat's meow. Smooth as silk and accurate too they are keepers!! The Cameo Equalizer what a wedge! In fact it will be in the bag of Macs when I play them again. The old Armour putter man oh man I bent it back correctly and love my custom grip. It helped that the greens were really rolling well. Ended up with an 82 from the senior tees in the wind on a difficult course played at 6900 sea level. I really was impressed since I had not played in 2 weeks or even picked up a club except in the shop. I wanted to play those Hogans and told my wife I did not care if I did not break 100 I was going to have fun and play them!!! I have not had that much fun in a while what a blast

I know before I catch some flack about pics my link up thing is still not working so I do the best I can. I have also sent a PM to Tim this morning and will try to buy a 8 iron from him. He wanted to know if I wanted to sell the Precisions but I think they are keepers

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

American Golf Pickers at work.

Nice find, especially the 53 Precision. I wonder how many sets from the 53 had survived through the time.

Well they are the Holy Grail of the Hogan world according to the Hoganistas on here. Probably more than we think but remember they never made as many of them as the mass produced clubs these days. Golf was not as popular then and you did not have free advertising like WRX then or other internet forums. WRX is an advanced version of word of mouth good or bad. It is weird what will turn up at any time in the thrifts and estate sales etc. I just happen to be lucky in the fact I work for a metal recycling company and find stuff

BIGSTU, Pics?

my link from the phone is messed up so I cant post pics

guess what stu- I so happen to have a 53 percesion 8 iron in my hoard. its not in the greatest shape but if you want it -its yours for just shipping. I agree the cameo eq is one heck of a wedge.

Man thanks I will PM you with my address-- I am gaming these so they do not have to be pristine

Nice find, especially the 53 Precision. I wonder how many sets from the 53 had survived through the time.

Well they are the Holy Grail of the Hogan world according to the Hoganistas on here. Probably more than we think but remember they never made as many of them as the mass produced clubs these days. Golf was not as popular then and you did not have free advertising like WRX then or other internet forums. WRX is an advanced version of word of mouth good or bad. It is weird what will turn up at any time in the thrifts and estate sales etc. I just happen to be lucky in the fact I work for a metal recycling company and find stuff

Sad if one could find these in the recycling business. We are tossing away our family heritage.

I'm glade my kids want some used golf set from their old man when I don't need one day.

Sad if one could find these in the recycling business. We are tossing away our family heritage.

I'm glade my kids want some used golf set from their old man when I don't need one day.

I know you are sorta new in this neck of the woods so you have more than likely never read some of the stuff I have found over the years on the junkpile. Some of the stuff 3 complete sets of Izett woods in pristine shape 2 Scotty putters--- numerous Bulls Eye putters--- Numerous Spalding TP Mills putters. Just a few examples and do not be mislead it is not every day or every week-- Sometimes it may be a month and then I hit the jackpot for 3 or 4 days straight--- Now days there are not many of us old classic club hoes left and most folks do not want a club if it is over 6 months old--- That last haul I found a R-11 driver which in our eyes is not that old maybe 2 or 3 years if that. I do not really sell anything most of the time I give it away or trade it. If you would see the violence at the metal shredder you would understand my train of thought. I just can not stand to see any classic club which I consider a work of art go to the shredder and become a KIA or HyundaI a month from now. Folks at work think I am nuts-- I remember when I found those Percisions I said "HOLY SHEITE" One of the guys said he did not understand WHY I got worked up over some old rusty golf clubs. Like I stated I played the whole round with clubs that came straight from the scrap pile. I got a good laugh as my buddy Bear said I probably shot as good with them as most guys did with 2K worth of stuff. I figured it up at current scrap price I think I had less in that bag of clubs than most guys had in 1 maybe 2 Pro V balls. Of course my buddy Bear is the same way he is a club ho. One week he found a full set of Spalding Department store irons in pristine shape at Goodwill 2 thru PW-- I think he gave $10 total put them in his bag that Saturday with his modern woods and shot 74 from the senior tees. I will give him his props he is one hell of a ball striker period and can hit any kind of iron

You found a set of '53 Precisions on a "junk" pile? I think you need to rename it to "Treasure Mountain".

What a find, even without the 8i.

Gotta 8 iron coming courtesy of the one and only Super Dan

I know you are sorta new in this neck of the woods so you have more than likely never read some of the stuff I have found over the years on the junkpile. Some of the stuff 3 complete sets of Izett woods in pristine shape 2 Scotty putters--- numerous Bulls Eye putters--- Numerous Spalding TP Mills putters. Just a few examples and do not be mislead it is not every day or every week-- Sometimes it may be a month and then I hit the jackpot for 3 or 4 days straight--- Now days there are not many of us old classic club hoes left and most folks do not want a club if it is over 6 months old--- That last haul I found a R-11 driver which in our eyes is not that old maybe 2 or 3 years if that. I do not really sell anything most of the time I give it away or trade it. If you would see the violence at the metal shredder you would understand my train of thought. I just can not stand to see any classic club which I consider a work of art go to the shredder and become a KIA or HyundaI a month from now. Folks at work think I am nuts-- I remember when I found those Percisions I said "HOLY SHEITE" One of the guys said he did not understand WHY I got worked up over some old rusty golf clubs. Like I stated I played the whole round with clubs that came straight from the scrap pile. I got a good laugh as my buddy Bear said I probably shot as good with them as most guys did with 2K worth of stuff. I figured it up at current scrap price I think I had less in that bag of clubs than most guys had in 1 maybe 2 Pro V balls. Of course my buddy Bear is the same way he is a club ho. One week he found a full set of Spalding Department store irons in pristine shape at Goodwill 2 thru PW-- I think he gave $10 total put them in his bag that Saturday with his modern woods and shot 74 from the senior tees. I will give him his props he is one hell of a ball striker period and can hit any kind of iron

Fortunate, we have people like you to rescue the classic golf clubs. Me too, gave away some of the old and not too old stuff to friends in need. Youngsters don't want old classic golf clubs. They don't even keep golf clubs a couple of years old. And, of course they all play ProV1. Kind of the trend when their old man flip the bills.

Stu-

Does anyone have photos comparing the two years?

'53 vs. '54 Hogan Precision irons?

There are no 53 Precisions, first ones made were experimental 54, then destroyed, Middle of 54 was when they were sent out to public, long hosel with crescents

The ones destroyed were boxed grooves , when they were made initially the boxed grooves or outside lines were not uniform, Hogan said they looked like sh.., thats why the ones that made it out to public did not have boxed grooves, The Macgregor irons he played have boxed grooves so probably was why his first irons had them

here is 7,8,9 Macgregor Ben Hogan personal irons I just sold at show that show the boxed grooves on his macgregor irons

Also pic of First precision with boxed groove,

notice how in the last photo the second to bottom scoring line goes past the boxed groove?probably one of the reasons why he said trash them

Tim-

"There are no 53 Precisions, first ones made were experimental 54, then destroyed, Middle of 54 was when they were sent out to public, long hosel with crescents."

That was my understanding as well

In 1953, Ben Hogan used those MacGregor Ben Hogan Personal Model irons you feature in your photos-

Each "Personal Model" iron having loads of lead tape on the back pad.

Thanks again for the clarification, as well as your exceptional photos. That style "Personal Model" stamp is my favorite.

Note- Ben Hogan's actual 1953 MacGregor "Signature" Personal Model iron set sold at auction in recent years for around $42,000, right?

So i take it mine are 1954 because they look exactly like the one in your middle photo. I got mislead I guess from reading on here and I know Eilidon's friend goes by the screen name 53 Precision. Mine do not look as good as the one you posted but then again I am playing mine. Super Dan graciously sent me the 8 iron to match and I got it today. They are going front line again Saturday along with the Cameo Equalizer. As good as I hit the Cameo if I continue to hit it as well as I do it will be in the bag even with Macgregors. Absolutely can not get over how smooth those irons hit stock and to boot 64 years old!!

Edit-- Personally I never liked boxed grooves even on Macgregors I always liked the diamonds on the sides. That was why I never was a big fan of the 985s or what I call a remake set which were the Macgregor Tours

Stu-

Does anyone have photos comparing the two years?

'53 vs. '54 Hogan Precision irons?

There are no 53 Precisions, first ones made were experimental 54, then destroyed, Middle of 54 was when they were sent out to public, long hosel with crescents

The ones destroyed were boxed grooves , when they were made initially the boxed grooves or outside lines were not uniform, Hogan said they looked like sh.., thats why the ones that made it out to public did not have boxed grooves, The Macgregor irons he played have boxed grooves so probably was why his first irons had them

here is 7,8,9 Macgregor Ben Hogan personal irons I just sold at show that show the boxed grooves on his macgregor irons

Also pic of First precision with boxed groove

Beauties !

Can' take my eyes off them. The personal model was in one of Ben Hogan's video on Youtube, I was looking for the similar irons for the longest time. Long hosel and ferrule, and also long original grips.

Fortunate, we have people like you to rescue the classic golf clubs. Me too, gave away some of the old and not too old stuff to friends in need. Youngsters don't want old classic golf clubs. They don't even keep golf clubs a couple of years old. And, of course they all play ProV1. Kind of the trend when their old man flip the bills.

Ran into the exact thing you are talking about when I ran the golf shop. I have seen Dads bring kids in wanting an used set maybe cut down. I have seen kids turn their noses up at a set of irons in good shape maybe 3 years old or so. Now when I was a kid I was fortunate enough that my Dad was a pro and ran a course so I had access to top notch equipment. I can remember my old man selling used equipment to Dads for their kids and the kids were thrilled to have say a set of Wilson Staff irons 2 or 3 years old. He always made sure that kids on the golf teams had good balls to play at no cost. Now days I can play top notch equipment if I want but I like the old stuff

a sea change--- in the 70-80's lots of good ams and pros had old equipment, if it was MacGregor, Spalding, Citation, and the Staffs. Old R-90s and of course the 40-50s persimmon.

Now it's a throw away culture, 1 year with the Epic GBB and M1/M2 and done. Gotta get the Rogue Epic, M3/M4.

I just picked up some forged Mizuno Mx 25s in VG shape as they feel much better than the newer JPX hot metals. But I will have to explain why I'm using those OLD, technologically inferior 10 yr old MXs. UGH.

a sea change--- in the 70-80's lots of good ams and pros had old equipment, if it was MacGregor, Spalding, Citation, and the Staffs. Old R-90s and of course the 40-50s persimmon.

Now it's a throw away culture, 1 year with the Epic GBB and M1/M2 and done. Gotta get the Rogue Epic, M3/M4.

I just picked up some forged Mizuno Mx 25s in VG shape as they feel much better than the newer JPX hot metals. But I will have to explain why I'm using those OLD, technologically inferior 10 yr old MXs. UGH.

Back in the 70s in my area the Holy Grail clubs were 53 Top Flites or 50s era Macgregor irons with mostly 50s era Mac woods and of course 58 Wilson Staff wedges. Now a lot of the club pro players either played VIPs or Wilson Staff. But it depends on the area. The better players in the Eastern half of the state played Hogan. They had a saying "down east" as we used to say "Eastern NC is Hogan and Ford country". Our course had a lot of hustlers and was the hub for golf gambling. I know the pros from up North used to stop by after spending the winter in Florida Most of those guys were either Mac guys and Wilson Staff--- One pro when he was on his summer job in Michigan was a Spalding staffer and in his winter job in Florida was a Wilson Staffer but when the money was on the line he played a set of 53 Top Flites. I can remember one pro from Texas started the whole "bastardized Mac" thing with a set of Apex shafts in VIP irons. That was the rage in Piedmont NC for a while. I know Mitchell has told me that it was a big thing around the Raleigh Durham area in those days too. It is hard to explain to folks now days about playing clubs 10 20 or 30 years old. Heck I remember guys talking about my VIPs like man I hit a 8 iron there (TM RAC) and you hit a 6 iron. Who cares? Hell I was 6 ft from the pin. I can care less about the number on the bottom of the club just the result and if I am putting for birdie or not.

I can tell you a good story. I went to a private Christian school for a couple of years. My homeroom and science teacher was a golfer. He stopped by one day and talked to my old man. A couple of days later my old man told me you are playing 18 with your science teacher tomorrow. He showed up and I said utt ohhh> He had a set of 53 Top Flites and Mac driver and 3 wood. Putted with a beat to hell and back Cash In. Had some kind of rusty beat to crap sand wedge. He could play shot 66 on a par 70 course. Said he was a little rusty. Had all that stuff in a white canvas bag which was a Spalding like a Jones canvas today. My old man asked that night how did he play? I told him 66 my old man laughed. Yep he was a player back in the day had played on the TCU golf team. My old man said he would more than likely could have played the tour but the big man upstairs had a bigger calling for him. Now at the time he was not that old really except to me I was 14 and he was like 25 or 26. Yep when I saw his sticks I knew he had been a player. Funny thing he never attempted to coach the golf team did not want to. Said he had other stuff to do like his family and studies The man was one of the smartest people I ever have known held several degrees in chemistry and Biology and held a Master's in theology and was an ordained minister. He was the type that enjoyed and thrived on learning. I remember one time at school they were doing a fun thing about good qualities of the facility. Some of the girls wanted a certain teacher's long dark hair. A lot wanted to have Mr Sid's brain I told them to heck with his brain I wanted his golf swing and golf game!!

Stu-

Judging from your story, your TCU friend/student/ teacher/minister/player was most likely using a "beat to crap" sand wedge made by Spalding (who made excellent wedges as well). (Dynamiter SW?)

After all, Andy North won two US Opens (Cherry Hills and Oakland Hills) using a Spalding Cash-In putter.

Thanks Rex you jogged my memory in fact it was a Dynamiter

Tim-

From Gil Capps book, "The Magnificent Masters"-

On page 60 it states that Nicklaus was "loaned" an original Wilson R-90 sand wedge from Jupiter Hills head pro Phil Greenwald. It further explains-

"The club was from the mid-1930s, just a few years after they were mass marketed from Gene Sarazen's invention. Instead of grooves, the worn face was hand-punched with dots--186 of them aligned in eleven vertical rows.

"The ones with the dots sold for $5, those with lines $6," said Nicklaus. He loved the club and took it home.

So...It's possible both Trevino and Nicklaus used Wilson dot-punched faced Sand Wedges to win majors in the '70s.

I'm pretty sure Trevino used a dot punched face Helen Hicks model.

Of course, Lee became a big DynaPower SW man later in his career.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Wow hold on on sec!

Teevons were those Mac Hogan Personal Models actually part of one of his long lost sets, that have been cleaned up by someone later? Or did Mac actually release a "Personal Model" Ben Hogan Iron at some point? I thought they only had store-line stuff with Mr. Hogan's name.

To my limited understanding a few players did have "personal irons" release early on like Byron Nelson or later like Mike Souchak, but whether they actually used the exact model is up for debate.

However, we know Mr. Hogan used the "concentrated weight" design at least from 1948 onward up until 53, so what's the story behind those 3 clubs?

Also, can you recall what the rec number was?

I am trying to form a comprehensive picture of the iron models that Mr. Hogan used. So far have seen models with no rec number as well as the famous 1622 and now famous 1037. A 3852 and a 585, that apparently bare his name but not sure if he ever actually used them. The iron in the photo is a little too shiny for me to make it out clearly even when I zoom in on my devise.

Thanks for this awesome thread, Stu. Super happy you found the early precisions. On the hunt for a 54 set or an equivalent 3.5 long hosel experimental set myself, too. Although even if one pops up right now, probably could not afford it, but will keep saving up. Glad you were able to complete the set with that 8. Hope you can find an equalizer and exploder for the set too at some point to really round it out!