Lots of good golf in the bay area.

San Francisco: Harding Park and Presidio are must plays, so is Half Moon Bay

South Bay: Cinnabar, Coyote Creek, Eagle Ridge

East Bay: Bridges, Wente, Poppy Ridge (NCGA), Callippe

North Bay: Stonetree, Hiddenbrooke

Get yourself a NCGA card at GolfMart.com

Play on weekdays at a discount using Golfnow.com

Good luck and score well!

LOTS of coursesin the Bay Area. Golf here is very different from the rest of the country though, wel mid-west and east coast. Private clubs are generally not an option for the average golfer. You'll find the uper eschelons of society there. Executives, doctors, etc....

That said the public courses are generally good, and they are plentiful. Rounds can get long, weekend mid-days, but thati s the case anywhere.

The BIG bonus for Bay are Golf, you can golf 12 months a YEAR! Yes, 12 MONTHS! Can't beat that!!!

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

Snagy, do you know what part of the Bay you might settle in?? There's a ton of great courses, but if you know the general area (the City, East Bay, towards San Jose, etc) you can get dialed in here to some courses close.

I spent a couple of years in San Ramon (East Bay) and kept my card at The Bridges. A few course I played often and liked were Poppy Ridge, Roddy Ranch, Shadow Lakes and Chardonnay.

Good luck,

Woo

Snagy, do you know what part of the Bay you might settle in?? There's a ton of great courses, but if you know the general area (the City, East Bay, towards San Jose, etc) you can get dialed in here to some courses close.

I spent a couple of years in San Ramon (East Bay) and kept my card at The Bridges. A few course I played often and liked were Poppy Ridge, Roddy Ranch, Shadow Lakes and Chardonnay.

Good luck,

Woo

Oddly, I've lived in the Bay Area (I've since moved), but have never played The Bridges.

How does it play? My dad played two weeks ago and said it was brutal.

Good luck,

Woo

Oddly, I've lived in the Bay Area (I've since moved), but have never played The Bridges.

Yeah, it's brutal. I only played it 5 or 6 times.....Johnny Miller courses just wear me out. The Bridges is cut in through a bunch of ravines......not much is level, blind shots, slick greens, etc. Beautiful setting and course, but just a ball eater for me.

Woo

Good luck,

Woo

Yeah, it's brutal. I only played it 5 or 6 times.....Johnny Miller courses just wear me out. The Bridges is cut in through a bunch of ravines......not much is level, blind shots, slick greens, etc. Beautiful setting and course, but just a ball eater for me.

Woo

My dad played with a couple of 8 handicaps and he said one guy lost 13 balls. Bayonet is the hardest course I've played, but this sounds pretty rough too.

I've played Blackhorse......they'e pretty similar, right??

Where else did you play when you lived down there?? Ever play Roddy Ranch over in Brentwood?? Love that course!!

Woo

I would say they're similar.

Never been to Roddy Ranch. I wanted to get out there.

We lived in Concord, so I played a lot out of Oakhurst in Clayton.

Ya'll have me stoked about the move...My handi is 8, and The Bridges sounds a lot like the 2 main courses I play here in Houston at Wildcat Golf Club...Blind shots and ball eaters, until you play them enough...golfnow.com looks a lot like pgatour18.com which we have here...I'm pretty sure they're related sites...Anyway, thanks again for ya'lls input...

Ya'll have me stoked about the move...My handi is 8, and The Bridges sounds a lot like the 2 main courses I play here in Houston at Wildcat Golf Club...Blind shots and ball eaters, until you play them enough...golfnow.com looks a lot like pgatour18.com which we have here...I'm pretty sure they're related sites...Anyway, thanks again for ya'lls input...

Snagy,

Since you seem to delicately indicate you support THE OSU, I thought I should let you know we just had a chance to get to know Ohio St alum and LPGA player Lisa Fernandes this year at the Safeway Classic in Portland.....fantastic person and flat out bombs the ball. Has conditional status this year, but hopefully she gains her full card for 2008.

Woo

Ya'll have me stoked about the move...My handi is 8, and The Bridges sounds a lot like the 2 main courses I play here in Houston at Wildcat Golf Club...Blind shots and ball eaters, until you play them enough...golfnow.com looks a lot like pga18.com which we have here...I'm pretty sure they're related sites...Anyway, thanks again for ya'lls input...

Snagy,

Since you seem to delicately indicate you support THE OSU, I thought I should let you know we just had a chance to get to know Ohio St alum and LPGA player Lisa Fernandes this year at the Safeway Classic in Portland.....fantastic person and flat out bombs the ball. Has conditional status this year, but hopefully she gains her full card for 2008.

Woo

Buckeyes are nothing but class acts...Unlike people from the school up north...LOL...What benefits does the NCGA card provide?

Ya'll have me stoked about the move...My handi is 8, and The Bridges sounds a lot like the 2 main courses I play here in Houston at Wildcat Golf Club...Blind shots and ball eaters, until you play them enough...golfnow.com looks a lot like pga18.com which we have here...I'm pretty sure they're related sites...Anyway, thanks again for ya'lls input...

Snagy,

Woo

Buckeyes are nothing but class acts...Unlike people from the school up north...LOL...What benefits does the NCGA card provide?

A handicap and discounts at Poppy is what I used it for :p

• 6 months later...
Snagy, I know I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but it looks like you did make the move to S.F. How do you like our courses? Have you played many?

I've played a few of them...Harding, Presidio, the Bridges, Chardonnay, Coyote Creek, the Metropolitan and Tilden...The last 2 were just OK, the others decent or a little above...I'm just hoping the rain will eventually stop so I can stop hitting long irons into greens...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I am a newbie still at golf and I shoot probably around 100 or so....

what courses would ya'll recommend in the bay area (preferably closer to south bay) for a person like me? I am looking for a combination of good course along with a good price. I don't know if I'm good enough to dish out a lot to play on a premier course....

thanks!

[quote name='Iverson411' post='1910200' date='Aug 23 2009, 11:42 PM']I am a newbie still at golf and I shoot probably around 100 or so....

what courses would ya'll recommend in the bay area (preferably closer to south bay) for a person like me? I am looking for a combination of good course along with a good price. I don't know if I'm good enough to dish out a lot to play on a premier course....

thanks![/quote]
Poplar Creek, Palo Alto Muni, Sunnyvale Muni, San Jose Muni, Santa Teresa are the first that come to mind. Good courses? Eh. Santa Teresa in San Jose I recall as the standout from this group.

IMO santa clara golf and tennis is a miserable place to play golf

not so much because the course is bad, but they send groups off way too close together and the play out there is TRAGICALLY slow

I have had to walk off that course after the first 9 holes took approx 3.5 hours, I was literally having to wait 10-15 minutes on each tee with multiple groups backed up on each teebox

when I walked to the second tee, there was a group teeing off, and two groups behind them, then my group. it looked like some sort of meeting out there with all those golfers in one place

i agree, santa clara is amazingly slow. even with a 630am tee time a 5 hr round is unavoidable. plus it's quality has gone done in recent years. out of the cheaper munis in the south bay santa teresa is probably my favorite, plus their nine hole short course is pretty fun. fwiw, i usually try to head out to the east bay and play those munis with monarch bay, metro, and tilden being those that i frequent the most.