2018 USWO

KBong

We also saw Brooke, and she was awesome, very approachable and happy to sign. My wife told her she wanted Brittany’s autograph too which made Brooke laugh so I have a really good photo of that interaction.

I saw quite a few people ask Brittany for autographs and pic at Kia, she has become a celebrity caddie. We have Bones and Fluff , and how we have Brit

Minjee Lee. Man oh man. Ok I don’t know if it was because it was the Open but that girl does NOT interact with fans. In fact, after her second round my wife was coming back from getting food and I was literally the only fan waiting. She was the last signature we needed and I asked her to sign. She said she needed to sign her scorecard and couldn’t stop. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed. I was the ONLY fan there, so we were very confused how signing one flag would delay, there was no one else around lol. Well, whatever if she doesn’t want to I get it, she’s not obligated of course. So we never asked again, but after her 3rd and 4th rounds, we actually saw her duck under the ropes to avoid the autograph crowds and run up to the clubhouse. She actually ducked everyone. It was surprising to us because she always seemed pleasant in TV interviews and we liked her to that point.

Don't take it personally, I saw Minjee dodged the whole autograph line at Kia too. So I guess it really depends on her mood that day. :dntknw:

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also saw Brooke, and she was awesome, very approachable and happy to sign. My wife told her she wanted Brittany’s autograph too which made Brooke laugh so I have a really good photo of that interaction.

I saw quite a few people ask Brittany for autographs and pic at Kia, she has become a celebrity caddie. We have Bones and Fluff , and how we have Brit

Minjee Lee. Man oh man. Ok I don’t know if it was because it was the Open but that girl does NOT interact with fans. In fact, after her second round my wife was coming back from getting food and I was literally the only fan waiting. She was the last signature we needed and I asked her to sign. She said she needed to sign her scorecard and couldn’t stop. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed. I was the ONLY fan there, so we were very confused how signing one flag would delay, there was no one else around lol. Well, whatever if she doesn’t want to I get it, she’s not obligated of course. So we never asked again, but after her 3rd and 4th rounds, we actually saw her duck under the ropes to avoid the autograph crowds and run up to the clubhouse. She actually ducked everyone. It was surprising to us because she always seemed pleasant in TV interviews and we liked her to that point.

Don't take it personally, I saw Minjee dodged the whole autograph line at Kia too. So I guess it really depends on her mood that day. :dntknw:

Oh no, not taking it personally at all. I was laughing as I typed so it was more funny than anything. Sure, we were hopeful but she's there to golf; doesn't owe us a thing. But man is she nimble coming off that 18th green!

...and we did get Brittany's autograph too. Sad to hear about their grandfather.

Thanks for the great write-up! 'No idea what was going on with Minjee. I saw her interacting with fans and signing autographs after her 2nd round at the Volvik last year. I believe she's rather shy, but does make an effort to interact. Keep in mind that Minjee was disqualified last year at Kingsmill after failing to sign her scorecard at the end of the 3rd round, so perhaps she's implemented a "no autographs" rule until she has finished in the scoring tent. That mistake cost her close to $80,000, as she was -9 at the time.

Lydia does seem like she's in a different world out there sometimes. I love it. A bad round doesn't seem to get her too down. 'Same with In Gee.

Just curious but is it consensus that Lydia was kind of raised in a Tiger-esque way to be the "next big thing" or is she just naturally fit to play the part?

Her interviews have always seemed so...."put together" and polished that I've always come away thinking, she must've been trained to handle media!

Well, she's been playing competitive golf since she was in her single digits, so she's kind of grown up in the spotlight. That includes interactions with the media. I got the impression that she loved to play, so even though there may have been pressure to excel, she wanted to be out there practicing.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

When she and Charley Hull play in the same group, Charley gets put on the clock.

When she practices her long clubs, Lexi stops and watches.

Her short game is so good, she'd purposely miss the green, when she needs a par.

When she is in contention, Tiger Woods tells people he identifies himself as Thai.

She is just as likely to blow away the field, as to blow a 7 shots lead.

She is , the most exciting player in women's golf.

"I don't always carry a driver, but when I do....... someday, the world will be mine"

I’ve read the forums here for over two years and signed up today to post on my first experience at a tournament.

1) Inky seemed, well, sad unfortunately. No idea if that was due to play or something else, but we affectionately dubbed her “Pouty” instead of Inky after that. Hope nothing was going on with her, she was still pretty cool.

2) Minjee Lee. Man oh man. Ok I don’t know if it was because it was the Open but that girl does NOT interact with fans.

3) We got a photo with In Gee after she finished and we have to give her credit for that, she stuck around and talked to the Dumbos (I guess we are too…?) despite being visibly tired.

Obviously....late to post.

OP...glad you had a good time at your 1st tournament.

1) I've said it for a long time....IMO....IK Kim doesn't look happy at the course.....I think she'd rather be doing something else....she has many other interests....but she knows it's an easy way for her to make money....Inky seems like a gal who could live on $50k/year and be very very happy.

2) I'm not surprised about your observation about Minjee. I first saw it at the 2016 KPMG. I was chatting with a Korean lady by the fence at the putting green on Wednesday. Minjee came out of the clubhouse and to her bag near the fence....the Korean lady wanted her autograph...I said just ask her and especially in Korean...she did ask....but Minjee replied that she had to practice....95% of other LPGA pros would have signed it.

Supposedly her brother is more outgoing than Minjee.....that's why I like Su Oh more....Su seems more engaging.

3) I don't think In Gee would ever snub a Flying Dumbo.....In Gee is pure class and knows some of these Flying Dumbo's have flown in from Korea to watch her play. I chatted with 4 Flying Dumbo's from Seoul at the KPMG....they were a good chat even though their English was marginal at best....a 5th Flying Dumbo from San Diego was acting as an interpreter....lol.

Ah great! I had wanted to reply to this great post too, but was worried I'd missed the chance.

First off, thank you WestTex, that was an awesome post! Loved to hear so much first hand details. Total pleasure to read.

To KBong's points:

1) Yes, this is sometimes really noticeable on screen. Inky just does not seem a happy warrior out there. I don't know just why. She's my absolute favorite, I'm always hoping she'll be happy.

2) I did find this surprising. Both your stories are disappointing, not sure what to think... I always picture Minjee as a sweetheart from what's seen. Agree Su's totally likeable. They're great as Team Australia.

3) Yeah, huge part of why In Gee is so great!

I'll add a 4) WestTex's account of Kerr and "walk with me" was totally interesting. What is the real story on her? She has the most infamous reputation, almost to villain levels sometimes, and I know I've been mad at her in the past. But then there's things like this, and things I've read like she can be very nice.

Anyway, so many positive and funny observations in that post... Lexi having heart, poor Lucy getting tiger mom-ed, Lydia being nice, the Kordas, stealth Inbee, Rocky River of all places (I'm right next door), and people being interested enough to attend but not knowing who Ariya is... So great, thank you!

1) Yes, this is sometimes really noticeable on screen. Inky just does not seem a happy warrior out there. I don't know just why. She's my absolute favorite, I'm always hoping she'll be happy.

2) I did find this surprising. Both your stories are disappointing, not sure what to think... I always picture Minjee as a sweetheart from what's seen. Agree Su's totally likeable. They're great as Team Australia.

I'll add a 4) WestTex's account of Kerr and "walk with me" was totally interesting. What is the real story on her? She has the most infamous reputation, almost to villain levels sometimes, and I know I've been mad at her in the past. But then there's things like this, and things I've read like she can be very nice.

Lexi having heart, poor Lucy getting tiger mom-ed,

1) I just think it's a grind for Inky on tour....it's a job for the pros.....for many....it's all they know....Inky seems to have a lot of interests outside of golf....I think not winning the 2012 KNC took a toll on her mentally....her recent good play seems to have rejuvenated her to play more often...previously..... she seems like a P/T pro. I first noticed IK's unhappiness back in 2012...when fans asked to take a picture with her...she wasn't smiling.

I also think she keeps to herself....I just looked at her IG account....no selfies with her hanging out with other pros...but she's not alone...some other pros just keep to themselves too.....not everyone needs a bundle of friends and that's ok.

2) Yes, based on what I saw on TV...I would have thought Minjee to be really engaging...Minjee's not rude or anything...she just doesn't seem to like the attention.

I also thought Shanshan would be really super fan friendly based on TV and interviews....again..not that she's rude or anything...but not as fan friendly as I would have thought when I have seen her at events.

Lexi is so friendly to her fans....super serious inside the ropes....but really approachable....I've yet to see her refuse an autograph or selfie with a fan during a practice rd or well before or at the end of competitive play.

I'm not so sure Lucy Li is "Tiger Mom'd"...if the OP said mom was berating her at Chipotle...then yes....I think Lucy was tired and disappointed she played poorly....there are huge expectations on her and she likely has high expectations of herself.

She can't be that talented at such a young age if she didn't like to play golf and having to be pushed by her parents to improve.

Kerr has a bad reputation with many incidents from fans on her poor behavior....just played last week with some guys who witnessed her poor actions at an event.

Yes, all pros will have their good moments too.

But Kerr doesn't put on a fake persona that she's Mrs. Cotton Candy....I think she knows she a b*tch and doesn't try to hide it.

Lexi having heart, poor Lucy getting tiger mom-ed,

1) I just think it's a grind for Inky on tour....it's a job for the pros.....for many....it's all they know....Inky seems to have a lot of interests outside of golf....I think not winning the 2012 KNC took a toll on her mentally....her recent good play seems to have rejuvenated her to play more often...previously..... she seems like a P/T pro. I first noticed IK's unhappiness back in 2012...when fans asked to take a picture with her...she wasn't smiling.

I also think she keeps to herself....I just looked at her IG account....no selfies with her hanging out with other pros...but she's not alone...some other pros just keep to themselves too.....not everyone needs a bundle of friends and that's ok.

2) Yes, based on what I saw on TV...I would have thought Minjee to be really engaging...Minjee's not rude or anything...she just doesn't seem to like the attention.

I also thought Shanshan would be really super fan friendly based on TV and interviews....again..not that she's rude or anything...but not as fan friendly as I would have thought when I have seen her at events.

Lexi is so friendly to her fans....super serious inside the ropes....but really approachable....I've yet to see her refuse an autograph or selfie with a fan during a practice rd or well before or at the end of competitive play.

I'm not so sure Lucy Li is "Tiger Mom'd"...if the OP said mom was berating her at Chipotle...then yes....I think Lucy was tired and disappointed she played poorly....there are huge expectations on her and she likely has high expectations of herself.

She can't be that talented at such a young age if she didn't like to play golf and having to be pushed by her parents to improve.

Kerr has a bad reputation with many incidents from fans on her poor behavior....just played last week with some guys who witnessed her poor actions at an event.

Yes, all pros will have their good moments too.

But Kerr doesn't put on a fake persona that she's Mrs. Cotton Candy....I think she knows she a b*tch and doesn't try to hide it.

Thank you both for your kind words - and everyone else who appreciated the long post! I really enjoyed the event and enjoyed writing what we witnessed just as much. I thought it might be too much to read, but there was so much going on over the four or five days.

So yes, Inky: one of our favorites too, especially after hearing about her previous struggle (ok, one putt) and getting her clubs stolen. She was not rude, just seemed sad. We still like her a lot and it was just one of those moments where you want to buy her a drink and let her vent. My wife commented on how daunting it must be to practice, play, repeat, so much on tour.

Minjee, we still like her, it was just surprising and slightly disappointing. But like I said earlier, she doesn't owe us a thing, and I think you're right that maybe she just doesn't like the attention. My wife follows a lot of them on Instagram and Minjee is not at all putting herself out there, so maybe she's just private to some extent. We get it, it's just you have to remind yourself we watch these ladies play weekly and you feel you know them, but to them you're just another weirdo in the crowd.

Ok Lucy Li being Tiger Mom'd. LOL, I'm certainly not saying she definitely was, it was more a somewhat humorous guess based on my wife's background and a light-hearted comment. Sorry if I mislead. Honestly what was likely happening is that Lucy was disappointed in her play (as you said KBong), and her family was trying to cheer her up and offer advice. At least that's what we were hoping, as we can see it going both ways. We compared this sight to Wie and Ko, and how their parents handle thier kids' progression. So much can be said about how young many of these girls still are, and how much pressure must be on many of them. If I were a 1/4 as good as Lucy, I'd be pretty darn happy. She seemed more upbeat when the final round finished and was smiling and joking with her family so we had to assume she was just sulking a little that night. We got her autograph and a fist-bump from her on the final day, she's cool.

Kerr's behavior, yes, I think that pretty much nailed it when KBong said she doesn't put up a front. She was basically to the point when my wife interacted with her, and there was no underlying anger or unpleasantness. However I have to credit my wife, she has an incredibly disarming personality and seems to make friends with anyone. When we're paired up with strangers on the course, she's the star. But I think that has more to do with most guys assuming she's not going to be too good or taking the "I'll give her a few tips approach," only to be shocked by how good she is for a weekend hack. Sorry, I digress.

The Flying Dumbos are pretty cool. One of them was kind enough to take our photo with In Gee. I do remember a conversation (I believe it was) her coach was having on 17 on the final day with a female from the USGA. Don't know who she was (edit, read this in KBong's post in the Meijer thread - 'Kylie Pratt...short blonde hair gal that's not hard to pick out of the crowd following In Gee' - may have been her), but the part of the conversation I caught was he said she just needed a mentor, someone to guide her off the course as well and help her emotionally. So once again we're reminded that there is so much going on we don't think about sometimes, and that even someone like In Gee, who seems so calm and collected needs to work on it. She's only, what, 23 going on 24?

Thanks again everyone, I really enjoy the LPGA so I'm always up for a discussion, you have all been a wealth of info. We're planning on hitting the KPMG for next year's trip! Hello to Ohio Mellow!

The Flying Dumbos are pretty cool. One of them was kind enough to take our photo with In Gee. I do remember a conversation (I believe it was) her coach was having on 17 on the final day with a female from the USGA. Don't know who she was (edit, read this in KBong's post in the Meijer thread - 'Kylie Pratt...short blonde hair gal that's not hard to pick out of the crowd following In Gee' - may have been her), but the part of the conversation I caught was he said she just needed a mentor, someone to guide her off the course as well and help her emotionally. So once again we're reminded that there is so much going on we don't think about sometimes, and that even someone like In Gee, who seems so calm and collected needs to work on it. She's only, what, 23 going on 24?

That my friend was The Good Doctor....Dr. Won Park...he's In Gee's coach....I was LMAO at the 2016 KPMG watching In Gee's mom holding up an umbrella to protect The Good Doctor from the sun.

Although The Good Doctor and Kylie do chat often.....I doubt that woman chatting with The Good Doctor was Kylie...unless Kylie is quitting as In Gee's road manager. Kylie is responsible to take care of In Gee needs (outside the ropes) while on tour..unless they are chatting about the attributes required to find In Gee a new road manager.

I think The Good Doctor wants to find someone to watch over In Gee when she goes home (Orlando???) so she's not goofing off....if The Good Doctor had it his way....In Gee would be practicing 18 hours a day.....The Good Doctor owns a Korean Golf Academy (robot factory) back in S. Korea...so he can't always watch over In Gee unless he sets up 12 cameras in her house and puts a GPS anklet on her. :taunt:

I think In Gee needs a young & rich Flying Dumbo to occupy her time when she's not on tour.

Darn. I'm a rich Flying Dumbo, but I've got way too many miles on the ol odometer.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

• 1 month later...

I didn't feel like starting a new thread so I will just throw it in here. Is anyone watching the US Women's Amateur, it's actually some pretty good stuff, real high quality shot making, but they did have lots of rain so the greens are very receptive and probably are helping a lot. As a Canadian, Ive been leaning this way watching her all season but I'm now ready to name Jaclyn Lee Canada's 2nd best female Golfer, too bad she still has another year of school left :taunt:

Yeah, solid play. The soft conditions combined with the "tee-like" Zoysia grass are definitely giving them the green light.