2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2018 USWO

KBong

Enjoyed the golf but it appeared there was only about 200 people watching it live. Not a great turnout at Shoal Creek?

^^^^^ This.

The gallery/crowd numbers were sad. Empty bleachers everywhere, a handful of people clapping here and there. Surprising. Mrs. Lewis needs to figure out how to get more people to pay to show up (and watch on tv) if she wants to have similar purses to the men's open.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Danielle moved up three spots on the Rolex rankings, and is now within 2 spots of Michelle. It'll be interesting to see if she can catch her, and secure the final spot on the US International Crown team.

2) I was expecting a little more from Emma Talley, given that she is quite familiar with Shoal Creek.

3) Overall I thought it was an excellent tournament. The course played like an Open course, with punishing rough, and tough greens. Had it been drier, and the greens firmer, I could have seen the scores being 5 to 10 shots worse.

1) You can be if Danielle is getting close to Michelle, that Whan will change the UL cut-off date so that Wiezy makes the team. :taunt:

2) Good point....I forgot that Emma had a home course advantage.

3) Yes, it would have been nice to watch a harder/firmer and more difficult Shoal Creek....bit apart from Ariya and HJK....most other pros had their hands full.

Enjoyed the golf but it appeared there was only about 200 people watching it live. Not a great turnout at Shoal Creek?

^^^^^ This.

The gallery/crowd numbers were sad. Empty bleachers everywhere, a handful of people clapping here and there. Surprising. Mrs. Lewis needs to figure out how to get more people to pay to show up (and watch on tv) if she wants to have similar purses to the men's open.

In recent years, the USWO hasn't been well attended....the exception was the 2015 USWO in Lancaster....the galleries there were truly amazing in size....IMO....Lancaster should be the permanent home of the USWO...lol.

Praise aside, Ariya really needs to revisit the driver, or at least the 3 wood. Hitting 2 iron is fine if it's a fairway finder. However, it's apparent it's not the magic club we all thought it to be. If one is going to be in the rough, may as well be 30 yards further up.

In the rough and in play is much better than 30 yards ahead and in the trees, water, or OB. Her 3 wood today on 10 was pushed into the water and her 3 wood on 18 at the ANA 2 years ago was a snap hook into the water.

Whether it was nerves or being tired, her swing was a little off so it was a smart move to abandon the 3 wood late in her round and in the play-off. Sure, she didn't hit many fairways but she was in play.

I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but Ariya may have a slight conditioning issue. The humidity was much worse than the announcers gave it credit for. Even living in this area, I find my swing is not near as good in that type of weather (due to fatigue).

Praise aside, Ariya really needs to revisit the driver, or at least the 3 wood. Hitting 2 iron is fine if it's a fairway finder. However, it's apparent it's not the magic club we all thought it to be. If one is going to be in the rough, may as well be 30 yards further up.

In the rough and in play is much better than 30 yards ahead and in the trees, water, or OB. Her 3 wood today on 10 was pushed into the water and her 3 wood on 18 at the ANA 2 years ago was a snap hook into the water.

Whether it was nerves or being tired, her swing was a little off so it was a smart move to abandon the 3 wood late in her round and in the play-off. Sure, she didn't hit many fairways but she was in play.

I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but Ariya may have a slight conditioning issue. The humidity was much worse than the announcers gave it credit for. Even living in this area, I find my swing is not near as good in that type of weather (due to fatigue).

The black long-sleeve under the black short-sleeve made it worse. It was apparent just a few holes into her round. She always wears black on Sunday but she might want to re-think when it's hot.

The black long-sleeve under the black short-sleeve made it worse. It was apparent just a few holes into her round. She always wears black on Sunday but she might want to re-think when it's hot.

Dark colors do not matter when wearing moisture management garments like she was.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3) Yes, it would have been nice to watch a harder/firmer and more difficult Shoal Creek....bit apart from Ariya and HJK....most other pros had their hands full.

I'm not completely convinced a drier course would have played harder. Did you see some of those drives hit and basically stop? Drier conditions would have firmed up the greens, but the fairways would have given more rollout. It may have been a wash for shots in the fairway. Of course the Bermuda rough would have still gobbled up balls, and hitting greens with little spin from the rough would have been extremely difficult.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Obviously no one can appreciate the heat and humidity the athletes endure whether it be golf, tennis, soccer, football, etc on TV.

In 1997, in late August.....my wife and I played golf on the RTJ on Cambrian Ridge and Magnolia....it was so freakin hot and humid and we were in a golf cart.....after talking to a local ......he suggested to just go beaching for our last 2 days in Bama......best recommendation...we headed to the Gulf Shores for 2 days.....I loved the white sand beaches, food, etc down there. We also went to that huge shopping outlet in Foley in the evening.

I loved the "Redneck Riviera"....great value for money spent.

Not sure that was much of a factor, seeing that she's from Thailand.

I still don't see her blogging pics from the gym...it was hot yesterday I was dying on the back 9. Totally did not want to be anywhere buy cold shower and on the couch.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Holy cow, she is just 22 years old, isn't all this criticism of her as a "mental midget" etc. a bit over the top? Personally, I don't know too many "mental midgets" who come back from blowing a 7 stroke lead with 9 holes left, bogey the final two, watch their steely opponent drain a 30 foot putt on the first of two aggregate playoff holes, hit her next tee shot into the second cut----and then win the US Women's Open. Gimme some of that brain.

Sure she will grow and get better mentally and then watch out.

Did you watch her post rd interview?

http://www.lpga.com/videos/ariya-jutanugarn-winners-press-conference-at-the-2018-us-womens-open

Yes Ariya is young, but I don't think other young pros who have won before 20 like Lydia, Brooke, Lexi, Creamer, Jin Young Ko, In Gee Chun, Minjee, etc would have admitted how unsure and scared they were playing in the final rd.

If they were scared...they likely would have just kept it to themselves.

Vision 54 & Gilchrist really have to get in Ariya's head that she's a premier/elite LPGA pro with a HUGE amount of talent who can play confidently and beat all of her competitors on any given day.

It is more an issue of not being acclimated to the whether than conditioning. We just got our first taste of Summer in South Florida this past weekend. High Humidity and heat. I was on the course with my kid who has no problem playing and walking 18 holes. We were in the cart yesterday for 18 holes. The first 18 he was fine. The second 18 he was miserable, tired, grumpy, and it was all due to not being acclimated to the weather. It takes about a week or so to get used to it again.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Don't think that has anything to do with playing in the bowl of soup they played in this weekend. Saturday and Sunday were one of the hottest humidity days of the year and that course sits between mountain ridges with thousands of trees = no wind. Humidity and high temperatures are completely different animals.

Dark colors do not matter when wearing moisture management garments like she was.

Being from Thailand, I'm sure she's played in comparable or higher heat / humidity. There is about a 3 month window (Nov - Jan) where the weather in Thailand is fairly comfortable. Other times it's hot and very humid, with the worst coming in April.

Did Juli have a brain cramp yesterday? I could have sworn that she said that the LPGA is playing courses in the 6700 to 6800 yard range? Seriously? It's bad enough that the tour moves the tees up on several holes on the weekend without adjusting the official yardage. No need to exaggerate the distances unless she was specifically talking about the USWO.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Buck did mention what many of us here have said numerous times, watching the women play is an excellent teaching tool for us mere mortals. Yes, it's cool to watch DJ pound a drive 300+, but most of us will learn more about tempo, swing mechanics, and course management from watching the women.

He's absolutely right. No one wants to believe it though. I try to have similar tempo, but the gorilla keeps coming out. Whenever they take a fairway wood off the deck for example, I pay close attention. I would kill to be able to wield a fairway wood as well as these ladies do.

Second hardest shot in golf IMO is a 3W off the deck (elevated long iron from a tight lie would be #2, but not many such beasts in the modern bags these days) where you have to carry hazards. Especially difficult for those short in stature. You have to be both very smooth and generate significant clubhead speed to be effective and consistent. Agree it is the most impressive shot the lady pros hit regularly.

Gotta ask...what do you consider the hardest?

With the win, Ariya became only the 6th player to win both the U.S. Girl's Junior and USWO championships. Inbee was the last double winner.

Is it my imagination, or did Ariya's preshot routine become short and shorter yesterday? She's normally a pretty quick player, but it seemed like she was rushing shots late in the round and in the playoff. Her bunker shot on the final hole was really quick. I have the tournament on my DVR, and I'm going to try to time some shots tonight.

Buck did mention what many of us here have said numerous times, watching the women play is an excellent teaching tool for us mere mortals. Yes, it's cool to watch DJ pound a drive 300+, but most of us will learn more about tempo, swing mechanics, and course management from watching the women.

He's absolutely right. No one wants to believe it though. I try to have similar tempo, but the gorilla keeps coming out. Whenever they take a fairway wood off the deck for example, I pay close attention. I would kill to be able to wield a fairway wood as well as these ladies do.

Second hardest shot in golf IMO is a 3W off the deck (elevated long iron from a tight lie would be #2, but not many such beasts in the modern bags these days) where you have to carry hazards. Especially difficult for those short in stature. You have to be both very smooth and generate significant clubhead speed to be effective and consistent. Agree it is the most impressive shot the lady pros hit regularly.

Long bunker shot where you can't run it in. Probably 40 - 70 yards where you have to carry the green. Requires that perfect pick off the sand surface with a lob or sand wedge. Explosion requires PW or 9i, but you may not hold the green or cover all the carry. No choices and ultimate precision with lots of risk equals really hard.

Long bunker shot where you can't run it in. Probably 40 - 70 yards where you have to carry the green. Requires that perfect pick off the sand surface with a lob or sand wedge. Explosion requires PW or 9i, but you may not hold the green or cover all the carry. No choices and ultimate precision with lots of risk equals really hard.

Add a hazard behind the green, and it's white knuckle time.

Is it my imagination, or did Ariya's preshot routine become short and shorter yesterday? She's normally a pretty quick player, but it seemed like she was rushing shots late in the round and in the playoff. Her bunker shot on the final hole was really quick. I have the tournament on my DVR, and I'm going to try to time some shots tonight.

Agree with this. Caught the broadcast team by surprise a couple times. They weren't ready for such quick play. A couple of OBE comments.

Add a hazard behind the green, and it's white knuckle time.

Yep. Big time pucker factor.

Well that win will have done more for her career than winning by a load of strokes. Nearly collapsed, found something deep inside and got herself over the line.

I'm not so sure about that. On the one hand, beating back adversity proves to the player that they can hang in there when they're game goes south. Ariya has now won three of her last three playoffs.

On the other hand, a runaway win could have gone a long way in convincing her that she's an elite player capable of stomping the competition, and that keeping the foot on the gas when in the lead is a better option than playing it safe.

Agree with this. Caught the broadcast team by surprise a couple times. They weren't ready for such quick play. A couple of OBE comments.

I seem to recall that when Ariya basically threw away the win in Thailand in 2013 by tripling the 18th that she had rushed her final shots. At the time I put a lot of blame on the caddie for not slowing her down. Also, he should have never let her hit a club on the 2nd shot that would bring the bunker into play. If you recall, her 2nd shot plugged into the face of the fairway bunker in the landing area.

Did Juli have a brain cramp yesterday? I could have sworn that she said that the LPGA is playing courses in the 6700 to 6800 yard range? Seriously? It's bad enough that the tour moves the tees up on several holes on the weekend without adjusting the official yardage. No need to exaggerate the distances unless she was specifically talking about the USWO.

I've seen it time and time again.

It can be common to see 6500-6600 yards posted on lpga.com or the course's website...only to attend events and see the course is playing 150-200 yards shorter on any given day.

At the 2015 CP CWO...the 14th hole plays 380 yards from the blacks and often played there for the CWO....on Sunday the tee was set at around 285 yards to make the green driveable....why?....it served no purpose....the green had no real hazards surrounding it to make it a risk/reward...the hole was never meant to play that way...it was STUPID for Golf Canada to set it up that way.

I seem to recall that when Ariya basically threw away the win in Thailand in 2013 by tripling the 18th that she had rushed her final shots. At the time I put a lot of blame on the caddie for not slowing her down. Also, he should have never let her hit a club on the 2nd shot that would bring the bunker into play. If you recall, her 2nd shot plugged into the face of the fairway bunker in the landing area.

Zinger made a big deal the day before about how important it is to slow... everything... down when you get into the final rounds of a tournament. The most prevalent tendency is to get too quick. Quick walking, quick decisions, and quick swings. Not necessarily what you want.

But keep in mind she is probably the fastest player on tour, faster than even Charley Hull.

I'm not so sure about that. On the one hand, beating back adversity proves to the player that they can hang in there when they're game goes south. Ariya has now won three of her last three playoffs.

On the other hand, a runaway win could have gone a long way in convincing her that she's an elite player capable of stomping the competition, and that keeping the foot on the gas when in the lead is a better option than playing it safe.

I agree....I think what happened on Sunday won't make any difference to Ariya in the future.

But if she lost.....it might have scarred her pretty bad.

Listening to her press conference and her inability to hit a driver every now and then tells me she'll always have some self doubt...it's in her DNA.

If anyone knows much about Brittany Lang.....I also think she's not an overly confident player...she has a ton of natural physical ability but can't pull the trigger on a shot or putt without brother Luke's endorsement.