2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Monterey Trip Questions (and report to come!)

newg33b

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll be playing PB this Sunday. We have reservations to eat at The Bench after the round. Any opinions on whether I should switch that to The Tap Room? Which is a better post-round experience?

Eat at the Bench and have a drink at the Tap Room. Or the other way around.

I agree with this idea. We didn't eat at the Bench, but it has a really nice view overlooking the 18th green. It might be nice to grab a drink there post round and then go up to the Tap Room for food afterwards. We really enjoyed the Tap Room both times we ate there

Our food experiences:

I'll add to this to just offer some color about our food experiences. In Santa Cruz, we ate at a small gastropub called West End Tap & Kitchen and had lunch at Pasatiempo during our round. They had burger dogs, which were burger patties shaped into hot dogs and served in hot dog buns, which were great and different. I would recommend both. In Monterey we ate lunch every day on the course since our late morning/early afternoon rounds overlapped with lunch. We ate dinner at Old Fisherman's Grotto one night, which definitely had a touristy feel to it on Old Fisherman's Wharf. The clam chowder was very nice but not my #1 favorite (I'm from New England and a chowder snob) but the service was oddly abrupt. They really wanted to turn over tables. Nice but probably not my first choice with all of Monterey's food options. The next night after Poppy Hills we went to Clint Eastwood's old place, the Hog's Breath Inn in Carmel, which was also nice if perhaps a touch overpriced. The day of our Spanish Bay round we followed suggestions and grabbed a drink at the patio at Sticks, which is the restaurant attached to the Spanish Bay pro shop. It has a lovely set of fire pits and a tremendous view of the 1st hole and the ocean. Then we retreated in for dinner, which was nice. I would recommend doing this if playing at Spanish Bay. The last two nights we opted for the Tap Room both nights and loved it. Very cool golf memorabilia and the food is what I would describe as upscale/refined grill type food. We split a Kobe burger which was fabulous along with Ribeye chili and potato skins which were all great. The last night we got a 1/2 portion of the sundae which was still massive and definitely enough for 2. As you can see we stuck more to the low profile grill/pub type locations. I can't speak to other fancier restaurants around the Pebble Beach property but I'm sure others might chime in with their experiences. We also found on the recommendation of a couple posters here that the Spyglass Grill, the restaurant associated with Spyglass that also functions as the turn stand, is a great spot for breakfast in the mornings.

If you want to eat at a Clint Eastwood restaurant then I would suggest Mission Ranch in Carmel. You can sit outside on the large deck and have drinks or food. The food is good and not that expensive and if Clint is in town he may pop in although in the 12 years that my wife and I have gone to Mission Ranch we've only seen him once.

If you like golf memorabilia then check out Golf Links To The Past next to the putting green. Here's a picture that's really rare, it's all of the Masters badges from 1962 to the present.

I'm at that geeked up stage - cleaned out the bag and clubs a couple of times already, put my mark on a dozen balls, got the golf duds ready to pack etc. It's been a while since I've been this excited over a round of golf.

New33b- Old Fishermans Grotto is one of my go-to places in Monterey. I'm not much of a clam chowder fan, but if I pick out the clams it's excellent potato soup. I go there for the Hangar Steak and grilled artichoke.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I'm at that geeked up stage - cleaned out the bag and clubs a couple of times already, put my mark on a dozen balls, got the golf duds ready to pack etc. It's been a while since I've been this excited over a round of golf.

New33b- Old Fishermans Grotto is one of my go-to places in Monterey. I'm not much of a clam chowder fan, but if I pick out the clams it's excellent potato soup. I go there for the Hangar Steak and grilled artichoke.

Definitely agree that the food itself was solid. Maybe we just had an off night from our server. Still enjoyed the experience. For me the planning and build up to the trip is part of the fun since it definitely adds to the excitement. Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Alright, here I'll try as previously promised to rank the five courses we played.

5. Poppy Hills GC

One of the five courses had to come in 5th, and it just happens that Poppy Hills was probably the least "spectacular" of the five that we played. That still means it's an awesome golf course that I would play any time at the NCGA rate. I really enjoyed the rugged look and the more natural feel of the course. The style felt a bit like Bandon Trails to me which is one of my favorite golf courses I've ever played. It has lots of challenge off the tee, which made pulling clubs difficult and the firm and fast turf is unlike any of the other courses we played on the trip. Thinking about how your ball will move after landing changes the way I'm used to playing. As I mentioned in my larger course review, if you're coming here PLEASE take the time to get an NCGA membership as it will more than pay for itself with just one round at Poppy.

4. The Links at Spanish Bay

The differences between SB and Poppy for me are actually not really big in terms of my enjoyment. I think what pushed Spanish Bay over the edge for me is that it enjoys a tremendous piece of property on the Pacific. In spite of the fact that there are a couple quirky holes out there (looking at you #10) and the holes that hop over environmentally sensitive areas aren't my favorite style, it's tough to beat the location and the panoramic ocean views you're afforded for most of the front nine and 14-18 on the back nine. I wish I got a better read on the green speeds the day I played there since it felt like I putted the worst of any of the five rounds we played. Some of the greens have big undulations and low spots that effectively make them play smaller than they are. It is definitely a sneaky difficult course with all the junk along most of the holes, especially if you're spraying the ball a bit as I was when we played SB. Still a really enjoyable course that is tough when windy like the day we played it.

3. Spyglass Hill GC

Spyglass Hill is a great golf course and just loses out to my #2 course on the list because I enjoyed the inland holes more on #2 than I did on Spyglass. The start to Spyglass, 1-5 that bring you down to the ocean featuring one of the coolest greens I've ever played on 4, is awesome. 6-18 is still really solid and enjoyable with some really cool holes, but for some reason it didn't feel as unique and different to me as some of the other courses we played on the trip while we were up in the trees. Yes the Monterey pines are beautiful and there isn't what I would call a weak hole out there and I still enjoyed the woodsy holes immensely, but it wasn't as different and special for me as the #2 course on the list for the majority of the time you're out there. I would definitely play it again though, and you'd better bring your game here with the uphill approaches and tough holes like 16. It's also one of the coolest names for a golf course I've encountered.

2. Pasatiempo Golf Club

Pasatiempo was the first Alister Mackenzie course I've played and it left me with a profound respect for players that have success on the greens of his other courses. If only I could be so lucky to play some of his other more famous layouts in my life! Pasatiempo's greens and bunkers are as artful and fun to play as I have found on a golf course. I think I three putted the first three greens I played due to a lack of speed and undulation understanding. And it didn't matter because it was so cool to look at and to play! The course really makes you think about where to miss and position your ball due to the greens. Being out of position will definitely cost you shots here since you may have chips that are insanely quick, running away from you, and give you no chance to get close to the hole. The par 3's were uniformly great and offered five different shots to test your ball striking. It is short but packed full of challenge. I would love to play this course all the time if I had the opportunity. I definitely recommend making the stop in Santa Cruz to play Pasatiempo. A trip down to Monterey wouldn't be complete without it.

1. Pebble Beach Golf Links

It shouldn't really be surprising that Pebble is #1 here, but it is my favorite nonetheless. As I said in my larger course review, it is my favorite golf course I've ever played and offers the best combination of fun, different shots, history, insanely gorgeous views, and a special experience that I have encountered. I wholeheartedly recommend walking the course and taking a caddie if that is in your budget. It is the very definition of a bucket list course for me. The start in the shopping village that the Lodge has is nerve-wracking. The anticipation of the march to the Pacific while playing 1-3 makes the introduction to Pebble that much better. And then the holes along the water, 4-10, are without a doubt the best 7 hole stretch of golf at any course I've played. 6-8 is probably as close to playing Amen corner as I'll get. And what makes Pebble so nice for me is that it finishes on the water too! Making your way back to Stillwater Cove for 17-18 adds to the unique feel of the course and walking down 18 with the sun shining and the water gleaming to your left is unforgettable. In my opinion it should be on every serious golfer's bucket list. I only hope that I am fortunate enough to make it back there in the future.

Cue discussion and reactions! But these were my thoughts on the courses. I tend to value courses based on the experience as a whole of playing there. That doesn't mean I care about the clubhouse or something like that, but factors like conditioning, well-designed holes that ask for fun shots, the scenery and setting, and memorability all go into my thought process.

Alright, here I'll try as previously promised to rank the five courses we played.

5. Poppy Hills GC

One of the five courses had to come in 5th, and it just happens that Poppy Hills was probably the least "spectacular" of the five that we played. That still means it's an awesome golf course that I would play any time at the NCGA rate. I really enjoyed the rugged look and the more natural feel of the course. The style felt a bit like Bandon Trails to me which is one of my favorite golf courses I've ever played. It has lots of challenge off the tee, which made pulling clubs difficult and the firm and fast turf is unlike any of the other courses we played on the trip. Thinking about how your ball will move after landing changes the way I'm used to playing. As I mentioned in my larger course review, if you're coming here PLEASE take the time to get an NCGA membership as it will more than pay for itself with just one round at Poppy.

4. The Links at Spanish Bay

The differences between SB and Poppy for me are actually not really big in terms of my enjoyment. I think what pushed Spanish Bay over the edge for me is that it enjoys a tremendous piece of property on the Pacific. In spite of the fact that there are a couple quirky holes out there (looking at you #10) and the holes that hop over environmentally sensitive areas aren't my favorite style, it's tough to beat the location and the panoramic ocean views you're afforded for most of the front nine and 14-18 on the back nine. I wish I got a better read on the green speeds the day I played there since it felt like I putted the worst of any of the five rounds we played. Some of the greens have big undulations and low spots that effectively make them play smaller than they are. It is definitely a sneaky difficult course with all the junk along most of the holes, especially if you're spraying the ball a bit as I was when we played SB. Still a really enjoyable course that is tough when windy like the day we played it.

3. Spyglass Hill GC

Spyglass Hill is a great golf course and just loses out to my #2 course on the list because I enjoyed the inland holes more on #2 than I did on Spyglass. The start to Spyglass, 1-5 that bring you down to the ocean featuring one of the coolest greens I've ever played on 4, is awesome. 6-18 is still really solid and enjoyable with some really cool holes, but for some reason it didn't feel as unique and different to me as some of the other courses we played on the trip while we were up in the trees. Yes the Monterey pines are beautiful and there isn't what I would call a weak hole out there and I still enjoyed the woodsy holes immensely, but it wasn't as different and special for me as the #2 course on the list for the majority of the time you're out there. I would definitely play it again though, and you'd better bring your game here with the uphill approaches and tough holes like 16. It's also one of the coolest names for a golf course I've encountered.

2. Pasatiempo Golf Club

Pasatiempo was the first Alister Mackenzie course I've played and it left me with a profound respect for players that have success on the greens of his other courses. If only I could be so lucky to play some of his other more famous layouts in my life! Pasatiempo's greens and bunkers are as artful and fun to play as I have found on a golf course. I think I three putted the first three greens I played due to a lack of speed and undulation understanding. And it didn't matter because it was so cool to look at and to play! The course really makes you think about where to miss and position your ball due to the greens. Being out of position will definitely cost you shots here since you may have chips that are insanely quick, running away from you, and give you no chance to get close to the hole. The par 3's were uniformly great and offered five different shots to test your ball striking. It is short but packed full of challenge. I would love to play this course all the time if I had the opportunity. I definitely recommend making the stop in Santa Cruz to play Pasatiempo. A trip down to Monterey wouldn't be complete without it.

1. Pebble Beach Golf Links

It shouldn't really be surprising that Pebble is #1 here, but it is my favorite nonetheless. As I said in my larger course review, it is my favorite golf course I've ever played and offers the best combination of fun, different shots, history, insanely gorgeous views, and a special experience that I have encountered. I wholeheartedly recommend walking the course and taking a caddie if that is in your budget. It is the very definition of a bucket list course for me. The start in the shopping village that the Lodge has is nerve-wracking. The anticipation of the march to the Pacific while playing 1-3 makes the introduction to Pebble that much better. And then the holes along the water, 4-10, are without a doubt the best 7 hole stretch of golf at any course I've played. 6-8 is probably as close to playing Amen corner as I'll get. And what makes Pebble so nice for me is that it finishes on the water too! Making your way back to Stillwater Cove for 17-18 adds to the unique feel of the course and walking down 18 with the sun shining and the water gleaming to your left is unforgettable. In my opinion it should be on every serious golfer's bucket list. I only hope that I am fortunate enough to make it back there in the future.

Cue discussion and reactions! But these were my thoughts on the courses. I tend to value courses based on the experience as a whole of playing there. That doesn't mean I care about the clubhouse or something like that, but factors like conditioning, well-designed holes that ask for fun shots, the scenery and setting, and memorability all go into my thought process.

Have those four lined up for my trip in September. Also playing Pacific Grove and Bayonet. Thanks for the write ups!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5