2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 hour ago, BlackDots said:

Yeah, I know it's a club head speed issue.  I hit beautiful straight or baby draw shots with the Maxfli's, and huge 20 yard hooks with anything game improvement I've tried, and they don't carry a club distance farther if at all....  

I guess I'm after something game improvement with no offset and a narrow sole?

If you're catching crazy draws with GI irons, I understand. I sampled some irons a while back at Golf Galaxy, and the guy insisted I try the Callaway Rouge Pro (IIRC). Thing was a rocket. Which I don't really need. But even if I were chasing distance, I couldn't play them without messing with my swing. I play a nice consistent draw. So offset isn't my friend. 

With that being said, something in the KE4 lineup could serve you well. Maybe even the Max. Which would definitely help in the distance department. Then play around with the toe weighting to tame the ball flight. 

I'd echo what was posted earlier. Order a model or two in a 6 or 7 iron from Golf Works. And just try them out. The expense is minimal, and you can just complete the set whenever you land on a preferred model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlackDots said:

Hey guys, I'm a super short hitting 15.  I play Maxfli Revolution Black Dot, 6 iron is my 150-ish carry club with regular shafts.  I'm a shallow picker so too much sole is hard for me.

I've like Maltby wedges, and game a TE forged gap wedge.  I should probably play a game improvement iron, but can't wrap my head around the top line or offset. 

I'm looking for something with more pop, but don't want to break the bank. 

I don't know if a full set of TE's would be a big enough game changing leap, but I really like the visual of the black metals.... 

The TS-2's seem like a logical move but are probably the top of my price range....

The KE4 tours seem on paper to be where I should land, but they look "clunky" to me, visually, and I worry the size will be too big for my eye.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

I would say that no club is going to be a "game changing leap" compared to your Maxfli Revolution Blacks which are a good design, unless you're evaluating it only by the distance that you hit the stamped club number.   The first question to consider.....is hitting a club marked with a "7" the same distance that you hit your current "6", because it has a lower loft, likely to improve your scores?

You could certainly find some noticeable improvements in playability, but not likely a "big leap".

With you being a sweeper, the first thing I always look at, is the height of the sweet-spot or what we call the Actual Vertical COG.  In general, higher is more difficult to hit,... lower makes the club easier to hit and more forgiving in the vertical aspect of impact.

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very thoughtful comments cwebb I always find it interesting when players including me compare irons on say a par three, “ what did you use there i7, i6 and so on”. For example I have blended two unlikely bedfellows DBM G-8 with TS2’s 7- 4 W/RT shafts some of which colej built for me , thanks for hooking me up Cole I love them, anyway I am hitting my scoring irons so well that having the TS2 lofts weakened  to match has been worth the effort. The other option would be to carry two eight irons DBM38* TS2 34* when I use my DBM’s I have had to mentally get over the fact the lofts are weak (traditional) and not try to over swing them to keep up with more modern (jacked) lofted clubs. The new Max irons might have super powers but the DBM/TE’s have I believe the lowest center of gravity of the current Maltby offerings. When I hit a DBM a little thin they still launch nicely. The nice thing about my current kit is that when I update the scoring side of my bag the TS2 side can be adjusted to match!

Edited by rbrdmkr
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, rbrdmkr said:

when I use my DBM’s I have had to mentally get over the fact the lofts are weak (traditional) and not try to over swing them to keep up with more modern (jacked) lofted clubs.

You should try hitting a set with a 52* PW.  That will really frost your cake.  🙂

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

32 minutes ago, rbrdmkr said:

Very thoughtful comments cwebb I always find it interesting when players including me compare irons on say a par three, “ what did you use there i7, i6 and so on”. For example I have blended two unlikely bedfellows DBM G-8 with TS2’s 7- 4 W/RT shafts some of which colej built for me , thanks for hooking me up Cole I love them, anyway I am hitting my scoring irons so well that having the TS2 lofts weakened  to match has been worth the effort. The other option would be to carry two eight irons DBM38* TS2 34* when I use my DBM’s I have had to mentally get over the fact the lofts are weak (traditional) and not try to over swing them to keep up with more modern (jacked) lofted clubs. The new Max irons might have super powers but the DBM/TE’s have I believe the lowest center of gravity of the current Maltby offerings. When I hit a DBM a little thin they still launch nicely. The nice thing about my current kit is that when I update the scoring side of my bag the TS2 side can be adjusted to match!

The other consideration is that since you're hitting your scoring irons so well, why not consider adding some more irons in your set with that head design?  In other words, if you hit a DBM 8i really well, why wouldn't you hit the 7i, etc well?

The Maltby TE/DMB design is one of the best of all time for accurate distance control, in a profile that is easier to hit than they look

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

The other consideration is that since you're hitting your scoring irons so well, why not consider adding some more irons in your set with that head design?  In other words, if you hit a DBM 8i really well, why wouldn't you hit the 7i, etc well?

The Maltby TE/DMB design is one of the best of all time for accurate distance control, in a profile that is easier to hit than they look

This makes the pending TS3 and TS4 even more intriguing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I still maintain that if most players could have a custom set with only the actual lofts stamped somewhere on them, it would help their game

I agree, it would help their game.

But, they'd never buy it.  The general golf public is far too invested in how far they hit their irons.  Or, more accurately, how far they think they hit their irons.  😉

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I do have a full 4-7 DBM set, and also play G- 6 PTM on occasion. Playing a split set for now is working out very well, the TS2 feel is like no other and really enjoy gaming them on the top end. The DBM 7 and up begin to look a bit small at address so they do not instill confidence for me, that said the thick top line of the TS2 irons has also taken some getting used to. If I were dipping my toe into the Maltby line for the first time and looking for game improvement on the affordable end the STi2 line has worked well for me in the past. 

I played a somewhat local links style course yesterday and got paired up with two strangers. On the third hole, par 3, one of the guys I was paired with noticed my TS1 irons in my bag and commented that he had been considering them and he couldn't get over how good and compact they look in person. He was playing Srixon 745 irons and they were the same size behind the ball. I let him hit one on the hole and he loved the feeling and the ball flight that he got. I might have converted him. 

On another note, the wind really picked up on some of the holes and it was incredibly easy to keep the ball flight low when needed. They are incredibly easy to hit.

I've been working on some swing changes to turn through the ball better and Popeye is correct in that these irons shine when you give them just a bit more and are aggressive through the ball. 

90E3094F-1E0C-463A-B9AA-065267529202.png

I do have a full 4-7 DBM set, and also play G- 6 PTM on occasion. Playing a split set for now is working out very well, the TS2 feel is like no other and really enjoy gaming them on the top end. The DBM 7 and up begin to look a bit small at address so they do not instill confidence for me, that said the thick top line of the TS2 irons has also taken some getting used to. If I were dipping my toe into the Maltby line for the first time and looking for game improvement on the affordable end the STi2 line has worked well for me in the past. 

New RT review on YouTube 

On 7/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, Cwebb said:

I would say that no club is going to be a "game changing leap" compared to your Maxfli Revolution Blacks which are a good design, unless you're evaluating it only by the distance that you hit the stamped club number.   The first question to consider.....is hitting a club marked with a "7" the same distance that you hit your current "6", because it has a lower loft, likely to improve your scores?

You could certainly find some noticeable improvements in playability, but not likely a "big leap".

With you being a sweeper, the first thing I always look at, is the height of the sweet-spot or what we call the Actual Vertical COG.  In general, higher is more difficult to hit,... lower makes the club easier to hit and more forgiving in the vertical aspect of impact.

That's what I'm thinking, now, actually.  Chasing a mythical 10 more yards, but at the same time liking my shot shape and results with what I've got.

Silly game....  lol.

5 hours ago, BlackDots said:

That's what I'm thinking, now, actually.  Chasing a mythical 10 more yards, but at the same time liking my shot shape and results with what I've got.

Silly game....  lol.

I would have your lofts and lies checked on those Maxfli Revolutions.  They are one of softest irons of all time and can move easier than many soft forged sets

Shot one of my best rounds of the year with my traditional lofts, just had to club up on some shots. I would like to put some comments out there concerning my recent experience with RT shafts, I feel fortunate to have acquired some unpainted shafts to play as they are my preferred color, that said I did buy a silver painted with the red stripes off eBay $20 l love the look even more than the black sooo cool. If you want a chance to try at a discount before taking the plunge check it out, the shafts that are available are very limited. Since using the new shafts my iron play has been erratic with some unwanted dispersion this party due to an increase in shaft weight, but as of today that has all gone away and I am enjoying the superb feel of these premium shafts. Negative for me is no distance gains, but as a slower swing speed player those gains would have been less anyway.

Edited by rbrdmkr

Ok, we on this forum and Hackers can read between the lines but anyone buying off the website cannot know they will not be able to buy a matching shaft if they like the current/old design, at risk of upsetting Popeye I think this last Xcaliber sale has been misleading. I have no agenda just a consumer with limited resources and desire to chase innovation if it improves my game.

16 minutes ago, rbrdmkr said:

Ok, we on this forum and Hackers can read between the lines but anyone buying off the website cannot know they will not be able to buy a matching shaft if they like the current/old design, at risk of upsetting Popeye I think this last Xcaliber sale has been misleading. I have no agenda just a consumer with limited resources and desire to chase innovation if it improves my game.

When a company has a sale (like xcaliber did) they’re liquidating stock. Not sure how you could expect to buy something at that price point and then expect the company to produce a matching shaft the next cycle?

You lucked out getting those chrome ion shafts at the price you did… whoever sold those to you LOST money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbrdmkr said:

There are plenty of the silver shafts available in a lot of weights. If you want to expand your set go ahead and buy them. 

Most people did not like the previous cosmetics and it was keeping people from buying actually This setup is subdued and widely accepted. 

Edited by Popeye64

So lets get back to club heads. 

The KE4 Max. A post a few days ago had stuck with me on a sweeper and a too wide of a sole. The KE4 Max while not huge could qualify as a larger sole. If you get lazy with your swing and don't strike the ball with fwd shaft lean then the sole can certainly come into play in a negative way. Sole first before ball will give a numb feeling. But yet it will still give an ok result. Just not a crisp ball flight. But you still find the target-ish

Take the TS1. The sole is fairly narrow so that I don't have to consider fwd shaft lean. I know the narrow and radiused sole will cut through the turf and give me crips contact. 

Certain players will certainly have to consider sole first contact. A sizeable consideration. 

Today I played a brand new to me golf course in Mass called Bridgewater Country Club. A beautiful layout with water on many holes. With impeccable and fast greens. They were like glass. 

The KE4s were solely responsible for a 74 with far too many three puts. A slight shaft lean Fwd and a smooth yet slightly aggressive swing yielded incredible results. I had three kick in birdies. I only missed a hand full of greens and those were mostly due to misplayed yardage. I got into the back collar, dead over the flag twice. Two times I came up short on par 3s.  Both wrong yardage choices on very well struck shots. Wasn't the irons fault. 

Again as I've stated the distance control is superior. 

What topped off this mornings round is I SMOKED my brother. So.... a very easy to play yet precise iron makes for some easy scoring. He called my round today.. Truly Boring. Fairways and greens. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The KE4 Max. A post a few days ago had stuck with me on a sweeper and a too wide of a sole. The KE4 Max while not huge could qualify as a larger sole. If you get lazy with your swing and don't strike the ball with fwd shaft lean then the sole can certainly come into play in a negative way. Sole first before ball will give a numb feeling. But yet it will still give an ok result. Just not a crisp ball flight. But you still find the target-ish

Take the TS1. The sole is fairly narrow so that I don't have to consider fwd shaft lean. I know the narrow and radiused sole will cut through the turf and give me crips contact. 

Certain players will certainly have to consider sole first contact. A sizeable consideration. 

Today I played a brand new to me golf course in Mass called Bridgewater Country Club. A beautiful layout with water on many holes. With impeccable and fast greens. They were like glass. 

The KE4s were solely responsible for a 74 with far too many three puts. A slight shaft lean Fwd and a smooth yet slightly aggressive swing yielded incredible results. I had three kick in birdies. I only missed a hand full of greens and those were mostly due to misplayed yardage. I got into the back collar, dead over the flag twice. Two times I came up short on par 3s.  Both wrong yardage choices on very well struck shots. Wasn't the irons fault. 

What topped off this mornings round is I SMOKED my brother. So.... a very easy to play yet precise iron makes for some easy scoring. He called my round today.. Truly Boring. Fairways and greens. 

I really think a KE4 Max 7i will be making it into the stable for testing. Just too inexpensive to not try out. 

It's funny you mention how he said your round was boring. I shot 4 under in my league last week (9 holes, 1 eagle and 3 birdies). It was a solid round, but also kind of boring outside of the eagle. The course is pretty short. And I drove the ball well. So it was a lot of wedges. Great score. But nothing too exciting from a shot to shot perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

I’m one that the max just weren’t better then the TS2, especially in the short irons. I don’t hit down a whole lot with my irons anyways so the TS2 just are better for me. 

11 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’m one that the max just weren’t better then the TS2, especially in the short irons. I don’t hit down a whole lot with my irons anyways so the TS2 just are better for me. 

Well I'm totally opposite. I hit down in a big way. I can lay a beaver pelt with the best of them. 

I never embraced the scoring clubs on the TS2s. Had them paired with the MMB-17 and then the TS-1. Maybe I never gave them a long enough run. As with this set I wasn't sure I was going to play the GW-8. But they have been great. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Well I'm totally opposite. I hit down in a big way. I can lay a beaver pelt with the best of them. 

I never embraced the scoring clubs on the TS2s. Had them paired with the MMB-17 and then the TS-1. Maybe I never gave them a long enough run. As with this set I wasn't sure I was going to play the GW-8. But they have been great. 

I can hit the max pretty damn good until I get to the scoring irons, then I go to h3ll 😂 

• Like 1