Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I'm about to order my first Maltby iron heads to sample a couple clubs.  Looking to build a set for myself and my dad.  At first I was set on the TS1 for myself, but after experimenting with more forgiving clubs lately the KE4 Max looks intriguing.  I'm a single digit player that is moving away from players irons to something more forgiving.  My dad's swing speed has really fallen off lately due to age, was thinking the KE4 Max with some light graphite senior shafts would fit him well. 

Thinking about trying the TS1 / KE4 Max / DBM forged for my demo builds.  Also thanks to Popeye for posting all these reviews on the thread for the Maltby clubs.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bvmagic said:

I'm about to order my first Maltby iron heads to sample a couple clubs.  Looking to build a set for myself and my dad.  At first I was set on the TS1 for myself, but after experimenting with more forgiving clubs lately the KE4 Max looks intriguing.  I'm a single digit player that is moving away from players irons to something more forgiving.  My dad's swing speed has really fallen off lately due to age, was thinking the KE4 Max with some light graphite senior shafts would fit him well. 

Thinking about trying the TS1 / KE4 Max / DBM forged for my demo builds.  Also thanks to Popeye for posting all these reviews on the thread for the Maltby clubs.   

The TS2 is also a really good head. If I were wanting the feel of a forged club with ample amounts of forgiveness, I’d look no further. 

the Max are great heads but if you’re a player and want to be able to shape shots, the max may not be the avenue you want to go down? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colej said:

The TS2 is also a really good head. If I were wanting the feel of a forged club with ample amounts of forgiveness, I’d look no further. 

the Max are great heads but if you’re a player and want to be able to shape shots, the max may not be the avenue you want to go down? 

Back when I played more I liked to shape shots, but after trying some Ping G15s on the course I kind of liked the point and shoot feeling of a straight flight that was forgiving on misses.  My usual set is Mizuno mp-69.  May consider the TS2 instead of the DBM forged.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bvmagic said:

Back when I played more I liked to shape shots, but after trying some Ping G15s on the course I kind of liked the point and shoot feeling of a straight flight that was forgiving on misses.  My usual set is Mizuno mp-69.  May consider the TS2 instead of the DBM forged.  

They have TS3 coming too that could be a great option.  I am holding out for them I think but the new KE4 are intriguing for the higher end of the bag 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blarkin97 said:

They have TS3 coming too that could be a great option.  I am holding out for them I think but the new KE4 are intriguing for the higher end of the bag 

Yep, I saw the TS3 / TS4 is scheduled to be released later this year in earlier posts.  If the TS3 were out now that would probably kick the TS1 out of my testing rotation.  For now will just work with what is available to see how they play.  

Hey everyone!

Anyone have any info on the Rapport shafts? I am thinking about going that route with the KE4 MAX irons, but just trying to get some feedback on them...

Basically, are their flexes true???

I was also thinking about the Maltby MPF Pro irons and noticed those run a little more stiff to their flex... anyone have anything to say about those as well?

Thank you!

I play the MPF shafts in my hybrids, S Flex,  they are superb. As I play the Aldila NV in one form or another in my woods, they are a pretty seamless transition. I have a TE 7 iron with a Graffalloy Pro Launch Red and the MPF feels a bit stiffer in the mid section and equally tip stiff to me.

• Like 3

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

3 hours ago, Rockaroo81 said:

Hey everyone!

Anyone have any info on the Rapport shafts? I am thinking about going that route with the KE4 MAX irons, but just trying to get some feedback on them...

I was also thinking about the Maltby MPF Pro irons and noticed those run a little more stiff to their flex... anyone have anything to say about those as well?

Thank you!

The Maltby pro series does play stiff to flex.  I’d go one less flex then you’d normally play. I can’t comment on the Rapport shafts as I have no experience, with those. 

The reason I’m selling my DBM heads is I reshafted one of my KE4 Tour+ heads with an Apollo Spectre Light shaft. It’s an impressive value shaft. Feel, weight and performance are very similar to DG105 parallel tip. Of the 7 shafts, 5 weighed within one gram, the other two were way out of spec. I will put the heavy shaft in a sandwedge and the light in the 5 iron. If needed I can add a heavier weight to the Tour +

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 6/1/2022 at 4:06 PM, Bobb3rdown said:

I was just thinking about that. Very interested in your results.

Here she is. KE4 Max 4 iron, Paderson 95g Kinetix Ballistic shaft hard-stepped once.

Hit about 20 shots at the range, some with my teaching pro watching. The report so far is this is an impressive golf club in performance, sound and feel, and the shaft is not to be underestimated for what it contributes. (There is a stable snap to the Paderson shaft.) I enjoyed the first 20 shots so much I think I should hit it again to make sure I wasn’t imagining how easy it was to take a stock 80 percent swing and hit soaring 4 irons or flighted low stingers. Toe hits are not even a sin. I can’t speak for a full set (at this point) but in the long-iron replacement category, the KE4 MAX is headed for stardom. $30 for the cutting edge head, $50 for the premium shaft, $8 grip. Heckuva golf club. 

5BEAC5F5-D95B-4248-8F36-7298C73A34DC.jpeg.cb226bce04128f34c0658d61e9dfe08a.jpegD4D788B1-42E0-45D7-BDC3-7E5660E410C2.jpeg.4347fc2242ddb79713081cdef592c93a.jpegAE7BA7DC-9C22-42BD-9F97-26C842306205.jpeg.7e0976abbb8886f0508f4c1f41512d91.jpeg

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

6 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Here she is. KE4 Max 4 iron, Paderson 95g Kinetix Ballistic shaft hard-stepped once.

Hit about 20 shots at the range, some with my teaching pro watching. The report so far is this is an impressive golf club in performance, sound and feel, and the shaft is not to be underestimated for what it contributes. (There is a stable snap to the Paderson shaft.) I enjoyed the first 20 shots so much I think I should hit it again to make sure I wasn’t imagining how easy it was to take a stock 80 percent swing and hit soaring 4 irons or flighted low stingers. Toe hits are not even a sin. I can’t speak for a full set (at this point) but in the long-iron replacement category, the KE4 MAX is headed for stardom. $30 for the cutting edge head, $50 for the premium shaft, $8 grip. Heckuva golf club. 

5BEAC5F5-D95B-4248-8F36-7298C73A34DC.jpeg.cb226bce04128f34c0658d61e9dfe08a.jpegD4D788B1-42E0-45D7-BDC3-7E5660E410C2.jpeg.4347fc2242ddb79713081cdef592c93a.jpegAE7BA7DC-9C22-42BD-9F97-26C842306205.jpeg.7e0976abbb8886f0508f4c1f41512d91.jpeg

Nice write up. I've hit the Golfworks only Paderson iron but not that one. I was a fan of that shaft But found it too low spin. Went a mile though. 

I think a lot of people are gonna be shocked with this head. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Was that club adjusted for more loft?  The offset looks lower than what the specs state, at .180" for the 4 iron.

Are you thinking about replacing all your 'longer' irons with these?

Edited by Cwebb

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

$30 for the cutting edge head, $50 for the premium shaft

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the Paderson Ballistic for $50?  I admit I haven't shopped around for them, but I've only seen them listed for more...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

22 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the Paderson Ballistic for $50?  I admit I haven't shopped around for them, but I've only seen them listed for more...

Screenshot_20220609-151855_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

56 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Yes, great question. Surprised me too. I was really looking at the head primarily and potentially a PX Catalyst or other graphite shaft, and I saw the Ballistic at a reduced price. I would have gotten the 4 iron shaft but they were already out — that’s the only reason I hard-stepped it, the 5 iron was the shaft I could get! So why not. Experience has taught me a single soft or hard step is not a big deal. In this case, I would do a set that way.

I hope you try one if you can. It’s tight but not boardy. Definitely delivers in terms of staying home through the release, feels easy to generate speed. Trajectory can be high or as piercing as you want it and I like that attribute. Had always wanted to try a Paderson because they are designed a little differently. I’m not sure this shaft is still being made or whether they have something similar. But they are quality. 

I can say this head is going to draw fans with any shaft. It is sleeker than my Srixon ZX4 and is somehow even easier to hit. I might try the next KE4 MAX head in the cheapest decent 95-100g graphite I can find and see if I notice a difference. I think I might. The Paderson has its own feel for sure, but not in any way punishing. It might be low spin. Was outside, no monitor. But on the ones hit high they were not running.

The KE4 MAX is very long, and it’s an easy long. Maltby did a great job on this design. Much prefer this kind of club over a traditional long iron and, in terms of shooting at flags, over a hybrid. 

4 irons - KE4 MAX left, Srixon ZX4

A5263A33-CD35-49A0-9F63-F0F20B855B59.jpeg.945c80304720aab37c45946f732f55e9.jpeg

Soles: Srixon on top

63E5E770-962D-47F1-9D0A-FAD261ED88A4.jpeg.fc1c62bed797177fc9894469d08e526a.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Was that club adjusted for more loft?  The offset looks lower than what the specs state, at .180" for the 4 iron.

Are you thinking about replacing all your 'longer' irons with these?

Standard 4 iron loft.

I’m the worst player for noticing offset unless it is extreme. I even like a little offset framing of the ball. Old school. Didn’t notice this one at all. It sets up nice. As for others, I don’t know yet. Could the 5 iron be next? Let’s see how the 4 does on the course and decide. I’m always looking for more consistency from 190 and out and these clubs can hit those numbers for me no problem. 

What length did you build it to?

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

On 6/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, Mako J said:

Hey @Popeye64 - how would you rank the following based on feel?

TS1

TS2

DBM

PTM black

KE4 Max

I've only hit the TS1 out of those, currently game a full 4-gw set, and the only irons I've hit that feel better are forged Mizunos. They are marshmallow soft in the sweet spot. They do launch high and spin lots so that might not fit your game but I was looking for the spin so it was welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobb3rdown said:

What length did you build it to?

It is 38.5 with the grip on, probably 1/8 inch shorter with no grip.

The other shaft that is intriguing is the new Rapport Blue graphite iron shaft. I did not know Rapport Golf is now owned and its shafts are made by VA Composites but that is a strong indication these will perform well, with nice control. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Rockaroo81 said:

Hey everyone!

Thank you!

I just put one of the stiff MPF Pro iron shafts into a driving iron and it's fantastic and really smooth feeling. To me it doesn't seem to be stiff to flex just really nice. I like it so much that now I'm thinking about putting them in them in my TS1 irons. Maybe I'll wait and put them in the TS4 when they come out. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I didn't play TS-1, I would play KE4 Tour. I built a 4 iron KE4 and a 2 iron in KE4 Tour. They are so nice to hit. The KE4 line of clubs simply feel great to hit.

I don't need (at least I don't think I need) as much forgiveness as the KE4 delivers, but I would play them in a heartbeat.  I don't feel that way about the TS-2 for some reason. I can't tell you why, but for me the TS-1 is so much more fun than the TS-2. If I were to jump to a bigger top line, then I would jump to the KE4. 

Now when the TS-4 arrives.......

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Looking forward to building out the full KE4 set this week. 

Should be interesting cataloging the distances for the set. This might be the new champion for performance/cost ratio. 

Already have an order for a full build with the KE4 Max heads 

As you already know, we will want a full report. KE4 Max vs the TS-1 vs your TS-2. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bvmagic said:

In the below comparison pic, TS2 is an 8 iron, while the rest are 7 irons.  

792090809_PXL_20220618_1241455232.jpg.2bc57e329a93c5801fd59ed0ce63aa2d.jpg

It looks like you are using different shafts…wondering what your thoughts are on comparing heads with different shafts. 

also I am curious to hear more of your experience performance wise with all the heads against each other. 

11 hours ago, bvmagic said:

After 2 range sessions, so far I am leaning towards either KE4 Max or TS2.  TS2 sounds amazing when struck well, but its hard to ignore the extra forgiveness of the KE4 Max.  For these heads being rated game improvement clubs they certainly do not appear that way at address.  I used to play Mizuno MP69's and recently wanted something more forgiving as I do not practice like I used to.  TS1 is the club I would have picked based on just looking at the pictures on golfworks website.  However now that I have seen KE4 Max / TS2 / DBM next to each other in person, they all look good to me at address.  The thinner topline of the TS1 makes the club appear longer heel to toe for me compared to the TS2.  I think the TS2 frames the ball the best for my eye at address.  DBM is also a great feeling forged iron, but I saw some shots that tended to spin / curve more compared to the other irons.  I know the lofts are weaker, but it still did look like the ball went really high with these irons.  Will still put the clubs through a couple more range sessions to determine what fits me best.  

In the below comparison pic, TS2 is an 8 iron, while the rest are 7 irons.  

792090809_PXL_20220618_1241455232.jpg.2bc57e329a93c5801fd59ed0ce63aa2d.jpg

Very interesting how the top line width affects the impression of the blade length.

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock