Maltby TS2

Popeye64

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

In my un ending putter quest a forgotten build rose to the top.

Over the winter I built up a PTM-1 head with an RTI 105 shaft. The PTM-1 has a post neck so the .370 shaft doesn't readily fit. A piece of aluminum stock drilled out made for my adapter. Not as clean as I would have liked but it was just an experiment. 

Grip is an Golf Pride Tour SNSR. Built to 35". 

Between my Bettinardi, TM Spider and the three Maltby mallets I have one problem continued. I struggled to get a pure roll. Ball at times would jump up off the face and bounce of skid. Nothing seemed to cure it.  

In my pile of clubs my stepson asked what the hell this was. I had forgotten it was made. 

I brought it out on the Muni we play at and instantly had one of my best putter days ever. The ball leaves the face with authority. The roll is so pure I needed to back of on effort.  The sound off the Japanese forged steel is the sound of a well struck forged head. Though its muted, the contact feels soft and quick but distinct. Like a forged iron, that almost felt as if you didn't hit it.  

Today I brought it out to an Elite course that eats my lunch on the greens. Again I had an amazing day putting. Only 1 3 putt on a championship level course. 

A playing partner after three holes remarked on how the ball was rolling off my putter. He checked out the putter and asked for one to be built. 

My putter quest has ended for good. On a very Un likely champion. 

20220525_163122.jpg

20220525_163108.jpg

20220525_163101.jpg

20220525_163056.jpg

I've been eyeing that putter for a while, what is the toe hang like? My current putter, that I love, hangs at about 5-5.5 if it was on a clock face. I don't need a putter but I'm starting to want one lol. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iamlowsound said:

I've been eyeing that putter for a while, what is the toe hang like? My current putter, that I love, hangs at about 5-5.5 if it was on a clock face. I don't need a putter but I'm starting to want one lol. 

I would say 5 - 530. 

I don't know what it is about the combination but when I had a steel shaft in this head it was never this good for me. 20220527_113309.jpg.a026409425f882581ac8cad0e28e9a5d.jpg20220527_113253.jpg.10ea8dc6e3f779a0cfae5e077f49d25a.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, Popeye64 said:

Over the winter I built up a PTM-1 head with an RTI 105 shaft. The PTM-1 has a post neck so the .370 shaft doesn't readily fit. A piece of aluminum stock drilled out made for my adapter. Not as clean as I would have liked but it was just an experiment. 

Between my Bettinardi, TM Spider and the three Maltby mallets I have one problem continued. I struggled to get a pure roll. Ball at times would jump up off the face and bounce of skid. Nothing seemed to cure it.  

In my pile of clubs my stepson asked what the hell this was. I had forgotten it was made. 

I brought it out on the Muni we play at and instantly had one of my best putter days ever. The ball leaves the face with authority. The roll is so pure I needed to back of on effort.  The sound off the Japanese forged steel is the sound of a well struck forged head. Though its muted, the contact feels soft and quick but distinct. Like a forged iron, that almost felt as if you didn't hit it.  

Today I brought it out to an Elite course that eats my lunch on the greens. Again I had an amazing day putting. Only 1 3 putt on a championship level course. 

A playing partner after three holes remarked on how the ball was rolling off my putter. He checked out the putter and asked for one to be built. 

20220525_163122.jpg

20220525_163108.jpg

20220525_163101.jpg

20220525_163056.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, Popeye64 said:

20220525_163122.jpg

20220525_163108.jpg

20220525_163101.jpg

20220525_163056.jpg

I love this putter and it has been my #1 for the last 4 years.  One of the best GolfWorks has ever done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’ve got two rounds under my belt with the KE4 max. So far I’m liking them. I was in the TS2 and I’m about a club longer with the max. The max are stronger lofted but they launch higher then the TS2 does. 

The sole seems to have more of a curve to it from toe to heel (creating more of a low point) making it easier for a sweeper like me to pick the ball up in tight lies. But at the same time more bounce front to back might cause more skull type hits I seem to struggle with playing my current PTM gamers. Any thoughts are welcome.

• Like 2

On the way home from the range and my initial thoughts... the KE4 Max Might be the longest and straightest iron I've ever had. I'll shift through the data but I think it's a Good  club longer.  But that also carries with it a fairly high flight. The range had an unusual headwind today that was fairly strong. The KE4 didn't seem to care.

Once I sort through the data I'll explain a little more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rbrdmkr said:

The sole seems to have more of a curve to it from toe to heel (creating more of a low point) making it easier for a sweeper like me to pick the ball up in tight lies. But at the same time more bounce front to back might cause more skull type hits I seem to struggle with playing my current PTM gamers. Any thoughts are welcome.

I’m a sweeper as well. I don’t take much of divot at all. I found no unusual low face contact due to the design of the head. I think with relief on the backside of the trailing edge, that helps immensely with the playability. I almost think that that small low point on the sole it helps sort of give you a rail or centering point to pure the contact instead of a big bulbous sole that just glances the ground and bounces along the turf. If that all makes sense 😂 

• Like 1

Interesting, great stuff. What happened with a few of the STI swings? Some in the 70's mph range. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, gioreeko said:

Interesting, great stuff. What happened with a few of the STI swings? Some in the 70's mph range. 

The Mevo isn't the best monitor for consistency. Most of how I view a combination is in feel and flight. The quality of the flight, also how far to the eye they are going.

The Mevo is just a back up. It does great for averaging. 

This is a tough time of year to collect data as it's all outside. 

So it's more by feel and eye. 

The Sti2 tells me all I need to know by eye and in my hands. 

Could I play the Sti2? Sure I could. But I'm just not a fan. 

Also.. hitting nasty range balls tells me a lot about a club. Hitting premium balls on course, any club feels good. Hitting range rocks tells me a better story on an iron. 

So very long answer to a quick question. 

• Like 1

Couldn’t resist. Ordered a KE4 MAX 4 iron with a Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic 95 stiff shaft, which were just marked down. I prefer set 4 irons with forgiving designs over utility irons and this Maltby looks good, definitely worth trying. Right now I have a Srixon ZX4 with a PX LZ 5.5 in that spot. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Couldn’t resist. Ordered a KE4 MAX 4 iron with a Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic 95 stiff shaft, which were just marked down. I prefer set 4 irons with forgiving designs over utility irons and this Maltby looks good, definitely worth trying. Right now I have a Srixon ZX4 with a PX LZ 5.5 in that spot. 

I was just thinking about that. Very interested in your results.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Thanks for all the great info. I might be overthinking things but what taper tip shaft should I use if I want to build a KE4 Max 6 iron to replace my 5 iron?

I have a 26* 5 iron and wanted to experiment with a KE4 Max 6 iron (same loft) built to 5 iron length. I was originally thinking I'd just get the 5 iron shaft but then realized the 6 iron head is heavier and I'd inadvertently be soft stepping that shaft in the 6 iron head. So I should just use the 6 iron shaft, right 🤷‍♂️?

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

13 minutes ago, CUBuffaloes said:

Thanks for all the great info. I might be overthinking things but what taper tip shaft should I use if I want to build a KE4 Max 6 iron to replace my 5 iron?

I have a 26* 5 iron and wanted to experiment with a KE4 Max 6 iron (same loft) built to 5 iron length. I was originally thinking I'd just get the 5 iron shaft but then realized the 6 iron head is heavier and I'd inadvertently be soft stepping that shaft in the 6 iron head. So I should just use the 6 iron shaft, right 🤷‍♂️?

That seems the way to go. 6 iron shaft at 1/2 over standard length. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 5/31/2022 at 1:47 PM, Popeye64 said:

On the way home from the range and my initial thoughts... the KE4 Max Might be the longest and straightest iron I've ever had. I'll shift through the data but I think it's a Good  club longer.  But that also carries with it a fairly high flight. The range had an unusual headwind today that was fairly strong. The KE4 didn't seem to care.

Once I sort through the data I'll explain a little more

Thanks for all the info on these... I'm a big maltby fan.  Any thoughts on how the offset looks on the Max?  Considering making the switch out of my srixon z745 irons as I do not play enough to be sacrificing some new tech.  Just worried too much offset will put me off.  Planning on ordering a Max 5 iron to give it a look. 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

2 hours ago, theglide said:

Thanks for all the info on these... I'm a big maltby fan.  Any thoughts on how the offset looks on the Max?  Considering making the switch out of my srixon z745 irons as I do not play enough to be sacrificing some new tech.  Just worried too much offset will put me off.  Planning on ordering a Max 5 iron to give it a look. 

Offset and top line for me are things that disappear as soon as I hit a few balls. I know for some people it takes iron designs right out of thier thoughts on purchases. 

In the past a big offset turned into a hook machine for me. I vould hit some monster sweeping hooks. But it's not great for control. 

The Maltby version of an offset for me does not influence ball flight. Thier offset is early in the heel and comes out to the leading edge quickly. 

As it applies to the Ke4 Max... all it does is go straight. 

In these photos the TS2 is in the middle of both. The thinner top line is the TS1. Thick Ke4 Max. I gave two views and comparisons. 

20220601_191634.jpg

20220601_191610.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Well... on the web site the Ts2 and the Ke4 Max 7 irons are the same loft. You would never know it though. The Ke4 Max is a monster. 

Right from the first swing it just flew different. High and carried forever. What was very surprising was how straight they flew. Nearly every ball was dead online... Another shock is how great they feel. If I didn't know it was cast they could pass the feel off as a forged iron.  

It's that extra long "C-dimension" or horizontal COG.  One of things that often gets missed in Ralph Maltby's design principles, is that a longer COG location tends to create a more "stable" iron head in motion.  In other words, it's more stable in it's rotation during a swing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Received my set of Max heads over the weekend. Pulled them out of the box last night and they are...gorgeous. Almost identical in size to my current gamers (Cleveland CBX). I was thinking before I unboxed them that I have too many sets of irons and I screwed up buying them...might just sell them. After opening the box, no way. Will pair them with a set Rapid Tapers I have in the closet that have just been waiting for such an opportunity.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 8:43 PM, Popeye64 said:

Well... on the web site the Ts2 and the Ke4 Max 7 irons are the same loft. You would never know it though. The Ke4 Max is a monster. 

Right from the first swing it just flew different. High and carried forever. What was very surprising was how straight they flew. Nearly every ball was dead online... Another shock is how great they feel. If I didn't know it was cast they could pass the feel off as a forged iron.  

I hit a ton of clubs this session and need to redo the test without the head wind. Was gusting 15-20 right in the face. Even with the wind they flew just as they should. Overall I'm extremely impressed. Even an out on the toe hit was forgiven. I knew exactly where it was hit as well. 

In the test was the Sti2 and the Ts2. For what it is the Sti2 did ok. Distance was there but they felt harsh in comparison. Flight is just ok. I'm not sure I would ever play them soley based on feel. But for the money spent they do what they should. 

The TS2 was no surprise. It performed just as I have come to expect. They are in the top of my bag and will probably stay there for a while. 

With the added distance I saw I'm not sure I could fit the Ke4 Max into the top of the bag. I would have to fill the entire bag with the Ke4 Max. I'll build up the entire set and put them in play at some point and get an all around assessment. TS1/Ts2 make up right now is just working too well. You can see from the data that the Ke4 was just measurably better. To the eye and in the numbers. 

The next test may be indoors to get rid of the elements. 

As an added bonus I tested the new Rti105 R flex TS2 7i.  It actually eclipsed the 105 S in flight and length. Plus its dispersion is even better. Was quite a shock. 

As a side note on the Ke4 Max. The sole was the worse of the three after the session. No deep gouges but definitely had the most scratches. The TS2 looked untouched. STI2 was in the middle to top. 

ke4.png

Sti2.png

Ts2.png

TS2 R.png

20220531_203928.jpg

20220531_203718.jpg

20220531_203655.jpg

The one thing that I noticed was the spin rates for the TS2 were very inconsistent. Is it the club or the strike. That seems to be the one thing I’ve noticed with the hollow bodied clubs I have hit. 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* @ 18* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

5 minutes ago, Sparty4202 said:

The one thing that I noticed was the spin rates for the TS2 were very inconsistent. Is it the club or the strike. That seems to be the one thing I’ve noticed with the hollow bodied clubs I have hit. 

It's the monitor. The Mevo is just adequate to give basic numbers. I can hit 5 nearly identical balls and the numbers spit back can be erratic. 

Collecting data on a Trackman of a full blown Flightscope Sim shows consistent spin. 

You have to take all data with a grain of salt. I mean... a Mevo is this tiny little box that's only capable of so much. 

I'll take this even further. Using range ball makes data collection even harder. 

Edited by Popeye64
  • Like 2

I'm trying to figure out why the KE4 Max irons go so far. 

I had the 7 iron in play today and it still has the RTI 105 S shaft. Built to standard length. No added weight. Loft is dead on spec. 

Yet I can play this as a legitimate 180 yard club. No crazy swing, just solid contact and a good move through the ball. It's a nice high flight and lands as it should without any crazy run out. 

On the second hole I dropped a ball at 184. Hit it to within 9 feet almost hole high. Played it in a couple of scenarios. Up hill to an elevated green. Into a serious head wind. The club just performed and played extremely well. 

Plus the ever present great feel was always there. A pured ball feels amazing. Low on the face doesn't feel great of course but it's not punishing. 

I wouldn't call this a hot face because I hit three balls from the fairway on a par 5 and they all landed within 6 feet of each other. I've found some hot faced irons to be seriously inconsistent. I'm kind of baffled why these are going so well. 

I still have not built up the entire set yet. Too much testing going on right now. 

But I'm really interested in seeing how the entire set plays and what I'll have for distance gaps. 

I can see this club appealing to a huge audience. 

I did have along the TS2 7 iron and twice hit it back to back. Both times the KE4 was a good half club longer. Still not sure why. Maybe it's the launch and spin??? 

I'm headed back to work and these clubs certainly have me intrigued. So no more time with them for two weeks. Not a head I would normally consider playing, but it certainly has my attention. 

20220606_100555.jpg

Screenshot_20220606-102320_Golfshot.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm trying to figure out why the KE4 Max irons go so far. 

I did have along the TS2 7 iron and twice hit it back to back. Both times the KE4 was a good half club longer. Still not sure why. Maybe it's the launch and spin??? 

This reminds me of something I've seen with my irons.

In 2011, I was playing Mizuno MS-11s.  I hit them quite high, with quite a bit of spin, to the point I'd get destroyed playing into the wind.  Had to club up more than anyone else I knew, for softer breezes than I would have thought.

Found myself randomly hitting a set of Ping Eye2+ at 2nd Swing.  Hit them with quite a bit less spin than my Mizuno set; 7500rpm for the Mizuno, 6000 for the Ping, both for 6 irons.  Bought the Pings just for that reason, committed to them for a year.

When I got the Pings on course, I was worried, as I was hitting them even higher than my Mizunos; I hadn't paid attention to the launch angle.  But, as it happens, that lower spin took care of my wind issues.  And, I found the higher launch with less spin gave me a distance jump, about a club at the top end of the bag.  

Apparently, it was similar to a simplistic look at driver fitting.  Drop the spin, hit it higher, gain distance.  Maybe that's what you're seeing with the KE4 Max?  <shrug>

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors