Maltby TS2

Popeye64

10 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Ha!  I'm all about "mindless" golf with no-brainer clubs.  With that endorsement, figured it was time to place the order for a 58* Max.  Done.  Get one built for when the cold weather and snow finally ends.  Sometime in June.  

👍…The worst Michigan spring in 30 years….tempted to move south!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* @ 18* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

14 hours ago, Paintman said:

The Star wrap grip feels like a 1980s Golf Pride wrap. Someone on this forum recommended them and I'm glad I tried them out. Firm. Not slippery.

...better than PURE wraps & great value since PURE raised their prices. Ugh. Also check out their Sidewinder as well, that is AMAZING as well.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 4/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, Mako J said:

Anybody get some on course time with the Max wedges yet?

I’m thinking 54 in the 1.05 since I don’t manipulate the face much and typically use it for 3/4 to full swings and bump and runs around the green. I’ve got a TSW and while I love it around the green, I’m not confident enough with it on full swings as I’m too steep and it’ll dig on me.

I’m then thinking 56 in the .90, bent to 58+. Hopefully the .90 will still allow for some face opening and the additional bounce should help my usual fat miss. 

My course is usually firm and tight. What do you guys think? 

I dunno, firm and tight, you want less bounce unless you have a steep AoA & really need bounce, don't know your swing. Perhaps stick with the stock 1.05 8* bounce for the 58*  otherwise you're up to a 14* bounce if you bend the 56* to 58* in the .90....jus sayin'

My issue is that I like to open say a 56* for lofted shots so I prefer a 10* or less bounce. Right now I am using a Cleveland Full Face 56* 10* bounce and, IME, it's too much bounce on firm lies. As such I have to play that shot on the toe to avoid fatting it. I may have to consider other wedges that offer less bounce on opening... sigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

29 minutes ago, terry55 said:

Popeye: Can you find out what is changing in the TS-1?  I can't imagine what it would be or why

I'll see if I can dig around. I had not seen that mentioned yet or heard anything. Last I spoke with Britt we talked about the new designs but he didn't mention anything about the TS-1. Frankly I'm not sure how they could improve it. 

• Like 1

Popeye: This is what Britt said: "We do have a re-design of the TS1 coming, the TS1-IM, that may arrive sooner, but still has a ways to go.  The re-design involves some minor changes to some aspects of the shape and cosmetics. "

I can't understand the reason. I am sure there is a cosmetic idea they like but what would drive the cost and effort?  Just a curiosity and trying to understand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terry55 said:

Popeye: This is what Britt said: "We do have a re-design of the TS1 coming, the TS1-IM, that may arrive sooner, but still has a ways to go.  The re-design involves some minor changes to some aspects of the shape and cosmetics. "

I can't understand the reason. I am sure there is a cosmetic idea they like but what would drive the cost and effort?  Just a curiosity and trying to understand.

Whatever it is would likely be associated with costs. The tooling may be close to worn out and they’re trying to find ways to save money? Just a guess on my part?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terry55 said:

I do find it interesting to do minor changes to an extremely successful model. That I don't believe anyone is complaining about. 

My guess is that the initial forging molds are wearing out. That would allow him to make minor changes that they either didn't like or a way to improve. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, games said:

The Score shafts are a Uniflex that can be trimmed to regular or stiff.

I suspect they’re replica blanks of the Memphis 10 from the original Big Bertha.  Which would make them perfectly fine for 65% to 75% of golfers.

I have a Callaway X18 pro irons that are some of my favorite to swing. The use a uniflex but it’s step less

34 minutes ago, games said:

The Score shafts are a Uniflex that can be trimmed to regular or stiff.

I suspect they’re replica blanks of the Memphis 10 from the original Big Bertha.  Which would make them perfectly fine for 65% to 75% of golfers.

I did some digging a few months ago and the Score Shafts look to be the same as the old Dynalite 109 according to this post. 

Which was a good shaft that True Temper replaced with the Dynamic Gold 105 as their lighter weight steel shaft. 

It might also be the True Temper Multi-Step light although the listed length and weight is slightly different but the MPF is identical and pictures look the same, both have the same slightly strange step pattern. 

• Like 1

Ordered up a sti2 7i head and .355 s300. Have been wanting to try a game improvement iron for a while now. Hoping it may help my game some. I got some of those brass shims, what's the best way to go about installing them?

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

22 minutes ago, Bobb3rdown said:

Ordered up a sti2 7i head and .355 s300. Have been wanting to try a game improvement iron for a while now. Hoping it may help my game some. I got some of those brass shims, what's the best way to go about installing them?

I’m extra careful about working with those shims. I’ll rough up both sides of the shim with scotch brite pad. Role the shaft in epoxy and slide ferrule on. Dry fit the shaft into the head. Then pull back out and roll the shaft in epoxy. Install shim over the the tip of the shaft (if you have the shaft flowed or pured make sure you’re lining it up prior to inserting with the shim). You can swab the inside of the head with epoxy or try to lightly roll the tip in epoxy with the shim on (can be a little tricky like this) then insert into the head. It can be a little tight, you may need to drive the shaft into the head by driving the butt of the shaft onto concrete or a hard wood block. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Do you really need a Wedge shaft. I have been debating changing out my wedges for some of the new max wedges. Kirkland is a good value but I would need to regrip and extend them adding another 20-30 bucks to the price. I do prefer a heavier shaft in the short irons. 

Check out the weight of the max wedge heads, with your added club length. These may feel very heavy. 

weights can be pulled from the heads but not sure you’ll be keen on that appearance? 

Edited by Colej

7 hours ago, Bobb3rdown said:

Really nothing to it, I’ve done dozens of them with really no extra prep other than to make sure plenty of epoxy is between the splines of the shim.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Popeye: This is what Britt said. Can you translate what he is saying and why they wanted to do this? Less offset and wider sole delivers what benefit? The gapping I get, it is a bit funky now, but the tungsten inside the head is interesting. So what they might end up with is a TS1, a TS1-IM, and a TS4. It is all so interesting and curious to me. I am curious on your thoughts.

"We are working on a new version of the TS1, called the TS1-IM.  It is designed with a little less offset, a little wider sole, slightly different loft gapping in the shorter irons and has the proprietary injected material in all the irons through the GW.  It also has tungsten weighting inside the head.  We also changed the look on the back just a little.  You will definitely recognize it as a TS-1, but with these slight changes."

1 hour ago, terry55 said:

Popeye: This is what Britt said. Can you translate what he is saying and why they wanted to do this? Less offset and wider sole delivers what benefit? The gapping I get, it is a bit funky now, but the tungsten inside the head is interesting. So what they might end up with is a TS1, a TS1-IM, and a TS4. It is all so interesting and curious to me. I am curious on your thoughts.

"We are working on a new version of the TS1, called the TS1-IM.  It is designed with a little less offset, a little wider sole, slightly different loft gapping in the shorter irons and has the proprietary injected material in all the irons through the GW.  It also has tungsten weighting inside the head.  We also changed the look on the back just a little.  You will definitely recognize it as a TS-1, but with these slight changes."

Normally less offset is something the better platters are looking for. But his wording of a little less offset might mean just minor tweaks.  But widening the sole helps the high handicappers. The Tungsten in the head helps move the CG to just where they want it so that's another nod to more help. The TS-1 PW and GW are solid so now they all will have the goo. 

From what I'm reading it s a friendlier version of the TS-1. 

Gap wise 8-GW on the TS-1 is 4.5°. So maybe they will make it 4°?? I'm  not sure. I haven't spoken with him in a few months now. 

The TS-1s are going on year 3 I believe so maybe they are just doing a bit of a refresh while the molds are being reworked anyways. 

TS-1s are in my bag and with the setup I have now it's now going away anytime soon. Only thing that could sway me is a TS3... but then I'll buy the TS4s as well. 

• Like 2

The hollow bodied TS1's have tungsten toe weighting.  Would stand to reason a hollow PW & GW would also incorporate the tungsten plug to maintain a consistent feel.  Curious if the slightly wider soles is applicable to all the heads or just the "new" PW & GW.  Tweaking sole width could be a means to enhance playability (lower the VCOG, bump the MPF).  IDK.  Think we can look to the Max wedge for styling clues to the back appearance.  The colored "badge" will disappear.  

Still good to go with my TS1's.  No issue gaping with the current loft spread.  Doubtful I'd switch to the IM's absent a compelling justification. 

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

11 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

The hollow bodied TS1's have tungsten toe weighting.  Would stand to reason a hollow PW & GW would also incorporate the tungsten plug to maintain a consistent feel.  Curious if the slightly wider soles is applicable to all the heads or just the "new" PW & GW.  Tweaking sole width could be a means to enhance playability (lower the VCOG, bump the MPF).  IDK.  Think we can look to the Max wedge for styling clues to the back appearance.  The colored "badge" will disappear.  

Still good to go with my TS1's.  No issue gaping with the current loft spread.  Doubtful I'd switch to the IM's absent a compelling justification. 

Hi @Fellaheen51 Are you in the Lansing area by chance? I see the MSU profile…I’ve been eyeing the TS1s since last season but can’t pull the trigger without hitting them. It also doesn’t help that golfworks doesn’t have the shaft I would want last time I called them. 
I’ve asked in this thread and Britt on their forum about any way to hit some locally with no luck.