2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 minute ago, blarkin97 said:

Cool that is pretty much what I did last time so I just need to make sure to seat the ferrule into the hosel a bit more

Ferrule will only slide on as far as the shaft is inserted into the hosel bore. Once you insert the shaft into the hosel bore give the butt of the shaft some taps on steel plate or something solid. You'll feel and hear when the shaft is seated and will not go any further.

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

5 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC, 19*, ProjectX HZRDUS Yellow 60 6.0 @  42"

7 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC Hyway 21*, Aldila RIP beta, 70S, @  42" 

Irons: Maltby TS1 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105S, 7i 37"

Wedges: GW - TBD, SW - Maltby TSW Forged 54.10 bent 56.12, DG S300

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 4 - 33"

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Arccos accross the board.

Instagram: @buckeyegolf

9 hours ago, blarkin97 said:

@Popeye64 Putting some new shafts in my PTM Blacks.  Do I have to use the collared ferrule?  It says that is the ferrule to use but I have read about the ferrules pushing up because of the collar and I had some issues with that myself the first time I built them up

Can I just get a regular ferrule and the epoxy will fill in any gaps?  I don't have the tools to do any ferrule turning either though

What shaft are you installing?

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

5 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

Definitely going to build the rest of these clubs. Really, really impressed after hitting 75 balls with the 7i today!  Need to tidy the ferrule but that always takes a backseat to getting a freshly built club in play.

PXL_20220224_225454127.jpg.499551aaf77e9bc5669959202325c94c.jpgPXL_20220224_225625216.jpg.7244a26f3b92f8feb43f21c0db9e948b.jpgPXL_20220224_225558228.jpg.17e42cea2d64a486f22f143e520b585b.jpg

I always try to get the ferrule tidy before putting on the grip.too easy to ignore once the grip is on!

Always hard for me to ignore. I'm picky about ferrules. Only problem is I don't work at the golf shop anymore so I need to see if they'll let me sneak back and turn it myself real quick 😉

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Has anyone ever been fitted for Maltby clubs by a Club Champion or a top 100 fitter and had that same fitter do the build?

Was just reading the Maltby forum where someone had Club Champion perform a shaft fitting for some TS1s using an OEM head as a proxy.

Apparently, the customer bought the shafts through CC and had them do the build.

Any of you guys have a KE4 ST-Fd 5w head lying around. This is the deep faced version.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

6 minutes ago, ode said:

I've got the 3w and its staying put.  I think I tried to sell it.on here years ago and glad there were no takers.  I didn't realize they made a 5w in the deep face version.

I had one and sold it and have a 3w as well. I posted on the GW forum and have a lead but I doubt there is a deal to be made there.

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

I had one and sold it and have a 3w as well. I posted on the GW forum and have a lead but I doubt there is a deal to be made there.

Good luck man.....I'll be on the lookout.  I have both the 3w and 5w in the STf model which are super deep for a non  "d" model, with that 🤢🤮crown design.  I would be playing them now but looking down at it makes me want to🤔🤢🤮!

Edited by ode

1 minute ago, ode said:

Good luck man.....I'll be on the lookout.  I have both the 3w and 5w in the STf model which are super deep for a non  "d" model, with that 🤢🤮crown design.  I would be playing them now but looking down at it makes me want to🤔🤢🤮!

GW makes some ugly stuff sometimes and that was one of them. I have the hybrids of the same generation and figured might as well get the 5w to match.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

First round with the Maltbys at TPC Harding Park this weekend!  Can't wait!

PXL_20220305_065831427.jpg

Looks good man basically what I play when I play minimalist golf loft wise. My clubs are entirely different because I play vintage sticks and do not carry more than a 56* wedge, But the Maltbys look good. Harding Park man I am jealous I have always wanted to play there

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

56* I think would be a good loft to carry for a single specialty wedge, I have another Edison wedge at 55* but I'm trying this setup for now because I'm comfortable with partial swings with the 50* GW and like having a high lofted wedge for bunkers and around the green. I haven't missed the SW yet but it would be easy to swap in if I decide it makes more sense. Going to stick with max 8 clubs. 

• Like 2

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

interesting to see the Edison wedge in your bag.   I have been thinking of replicating that design with a Maltby wedge, perhaps with the new Maxx,   just pull the weights out and add the same amount higher up the head with tape.    I think the 3 weights are about 21 gram total so that fairly close to the extra amount Terry Koehler says he moves up higher.

I might also drill some holes in an old wedge, but i think 20g is a lot of drillin!

• Like 1

More testing is needed. Unfortunately I hit the newly built clubs like dog crap today. Not sure if it was just mental from coming off a night of little sleep, but I just kept hitting the irons off the toe, again and again. Just not used to swinging such light clubs. I was hitting the 7i pure on the range which convinced me these 95S shafts would work fine, but in practice...

I won't yank the shafts yet but if I play again and get similar results they will have to go and I'll get some heavier steel shafts in. Just can't afford the heavy weight players graphite shafts at $60+ per.  On a good note I love how the iron heads set up and they are quite forgiving, but when you nearly miss the grooves out on the toe there's only so much they can help you out. 

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I'm looking for a new set of irons to either move away from or have an alternative to my F9 OL that I currently game. I'm debating these two options and would like any feedback, especially if someone has tried both. I'm an ok ball striker and usually score in the 80's when my swing is in shape. Swing speed is definitely average (driver: 90-95). I've played graphite shafts before in a set of Ping Rapture (stock Ping shaft) and wasn't enamored with them. I've hit the RT shafts I'm considering below, but not enough to know how well I'll get on with them long term. I could always use the extra few yards they should give me however. I'm only looking at 7-P/G as I currently play a strong lofted 7 in the OL irons and my next club up is a 24' hybrid. Gapping works well, so not looking at any mid irons at this point.

Option 1:

PXG 0211DC - Elevate MP95-R (7-G)

Maltby TSW 53

Callaway MD PM 56

Option 2:

TS2 - RT95 (7-P)

Maltby TSW 50 (bent to 49)

Maltby TSW 52 (bent to 53)

Callaway MD PM 56

I am concerned with the 30' 7 iron in the TS2 that may leave too much of a gap between my 5h and the 7i. So I might add the 6i and just play it at 7i length or standard 6i length. I've never had a 6i I've gotten along with over 20+ years, so I'm a little gun shy. Even when I could hit my Maxfli Rev B 3i, the 6i still eluded me. Must be psychological. So any input or comparison between the PXG and Maltby would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

More testing is needed. Unfortunately I hit the newly built clubs like dog crap today. Not sure if it was just mental from coming off a night of little sleep, but I just kept hitting the irons off the toe, again and again. Just not used to swinging such light clubs. I was hitting the 7i pure on the range which convinced me these 95S shafts would work fine, but in practice...

I won't yank the shafts yet but if I play again and get similar results they will have to go and I'll get some heavier steel shafts in. Just can't afford the heavy weight players graphite shafts at $60+ per.  On a good note I love how the iron heads set up and they are quite forgiving, but when you nearly miss the grooves out on the toe there's only so much they can help you out. 

What shafts did you use?

3 minutes ago, taki27 said:

What shafts did you use?

Aldila NV 95S graphite shafts.

Previous shafts I've been comfortable with include DG 120 S300, TT Elevate Tour 115 and Precision Rifle Flighted 6.0.  I have also played X100s and DG S300s in the past but gravitated to the slightly lighter stiff flex shafts.  Was looking to try these out to see if I could gain a little speed while still having control, and take some stress off my body.

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

8 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

I'm looking for a new set of irons to either move away from or have an alternative to my F9 OL that I currently game. I'm debating these two options and would like any feedback, especially if someone has tried both. I'm an ok ball striker and usually score in the 80's when my swing is in shape. Swing speed is definitely average (driver: 90-95). I've played graphite shafts before in a set of Ping Rapture (stock Ping shaft) and wasn't enamored with them. I've hit the RT shafts I'm considering below, but not enough to know how well I'll get on with them long term. I could always use the extra few yards they should give me however. I'm only looking at 7-P/G as I currently play a strong lofted 7 in the OL irons and my next club up is a 24' hybrid. Gapping works well, so not looking at any mid irons at this point.

Option 1:

PXG 0211DC - Elevate MP95-R (7-G)

Maltby TSW 53

Callaway MD PM 56

Option 2:

TS2 - RT95 (7-P)

Maltby TSW 50 (bent to 49)

Maltby TSW 52 (bent to 53)

Callaway MD PM 56

I am concerned with the 30' 7 iron in the TS2 that may leave too much of a gap between my 5h and the 7i. So I might add the 6i and just play it at 7i length or standard 6i length. I've never had a 6i I've gotten along with over 20+ years, so I'm a little gun shy. Even when I could hit my Maxfli Rev B 3i, the 6i still eluded me. Must be psychological. So any input or comparison between the PXG and Maltby would be appreciated.

I’m assuming when you say RT 95 that’s the Rapid Taper 95? There will be a 105 weight shaft coming in the rapid taper lineup. 

if you’ve never got along with a 6 iron, why not a 6 hybrid or a 5 hybrid at a shorter length (heavier)?

Edited by Colej

20 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’m assuming when you say RT 95 that’s the Rapid Taper 95? There will be a 105 weight shaft coming in the rapid taper lineup. 

if you’ve never got along with a 6 iron, why not a 6 hybrid or a 5 hybrid at a shorter length (heavier)?

Could go with a 6h, but as of now, there's not much of a gap between my 5h and 7i. I'll add something to the bag if I go with the TS2 and there's noticeable need.

The current shafts in my OL are 95g, so I think the RT95 would be ok. I don't want to go heavier and lose anything.

8 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

Aldila NV 95S graphite shafts.

Previous shafts I've been comfortable with include DG 120 S300, TT Elevate Tour 115 and Precision Rifle Flighted 6.0.  I have also played X100s and DG S300s in the past but gravitated to the slightly lighter stiff flex shafts.  Was looking to try these out to see if I could gain a little speed while still having control, and take some stress off my body.

I switched from heavier steels to the Maltby Pro Graphites (with MMB17) a few years ago.  I had a significant transition period where I was shanking and hitting the ball horribly.  The test club seemed great but when I went to the full set it just took me a while to get the new feeling/tempo of the lighter clubs down.  I would just take them to the driving range a few days in a row to get the feel for them.  After I got use to them I tried an old steel club and hit that like crap, I'm just not good enough to deal with large swing weight transitions.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Could go with a 6h, but as of now, there's not much of a gap between my 5h and 7i. I'll add something to the bag if I go with the TS2 and there's noticeable need.

The current shafts in my OL are 95g, so I think the RT95 would be ok. I don't want to go heavier and lose anything.

10 hours ago, Gdashoff said:

I switched from heavier steels to the Maltby Pro Graphites (with MMB17) a few years ago.  I had a significant transition period where I was shanking and hitting the ball horribly.  The test club seemed great but when I went to the full set it just took me a while to get the new feeling/tempo of the lighter clubs down.  I would just take them to the driving range a few days in a row to get the feel for them.  After I got use to them I tried an old steel club and hit that like crap, I'm just not good enough to deal with large swing weight transitions.  

I've taken an idea from Dave Tutelman when I initially reduced shaft weight.  His idea was to take one-third of the weight reduction and add it to the clubhead.  When I dropped from DGS to NV105, I bumped my target swingweight 3-4 points.

Ive found it to work fairly well.

I'm now at the point where I'm going lighter (swingweight), so I'm peeling some of the lead tape off some of my clubs.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors