2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

The "hot spot flier" appears to be a spin related phenomenon.  If your spin production is in the proper range such that this can be created, the vertical gear effect from hitting a bit above the CG will create lower spin, and that "OMG where did that come from" shot, which has given us the Legend that is the hot spot.

WRX's own bladehunter, who is a pretty low handicap and higher swingspeed guy, has reported seeing this himself, with his i500s if memory serves.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, deepred said:

The one criticism I have read for the STi2 irons and it’s been mentioned more than once is the odd flyer like shot. A shot that flys much further than usual, for no apparent reason.

I used to have fliers with my old clubs too… it usually was from finally compressing the ball and striking it in the middle of the face 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AutomationGolfer said:

I used to have fliers with my old clubs too… it usually was from finally compressing the ball and striking it in the middle of the face 😂

We all have that type of flyer all too often.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Since winter is hanging on I figured I would do some putter trials. 

I was really struggling when the Pro saw me putt. I Had no idea where the ball was going. He said.. what's with all the hip action? .. I said.... WHAT?? NO IDEA I WAS MOVING MY HIPS.

Well I kept my hips still and was rolling the ball better than I had in a long time.

So in the mean time I had acquired a TM spider and a Bettinardi Queen B 12. Figuring of course a new putter would help. I put them against my PTM-5. The PTM-5 has a Rapid Taper 95 in it and has been my gamer.  With Putting miraculously fixed I need to settle on a putter. 

On a 7' putting mat I rolled putts from 2' on out to 6'. Swapping in the three putters I had hoped a clear favorite would arise. But honestly since all three are such great putters it was a dead heat.. and I mean it was an easy three way tie. All three putters holed almost everything. 

They all felt different and have different balance. My PTM-5 setup is the heaviest with some weight added to the grip. The other two have standard unweighted grips.. both putters are near identical in weight. 

So what it came down to was feel. The TM spider had a bit of a click as the ball left the face. A pleasing sound and felt fairly well. 

The Bettinardi #12 had more or a whack to it. Felt like a more solid putter but not a harsh feeling. 

The PTM-5 had a muted sound and a soft feel coming off the face. Over all my favorite of the three in the feel and sound faze. But it was close. 

As for alignment the Spider has a long thin like. Bettinardi #12 has a short line that is well contrasted against the gorgeous copper finsh. The alignment of the PTM-5 is less pronounced and subtly built into the head. But even though its subtle it is good size and easy to use. It was a close call between the Spider and the PTM-5. But I just kept finding my way back to the PTM-5.

All three can certainly find its way into my bag. There was no difference in performance of getting the ball into the hole. They all did it just as well. The decision as which one I liked best was more of a personal choice based on feel and sound. 

But just know the Maltby putter head gives up NOTHING to some heavy hitters in the putting game. My choice if I had to choose just one is the PTM-5.

20220209_163243.jpg

20220209_163238.jpg

20220209_163252.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, deepred said:

The one criticism I have read for the STi2 irons and it’s been mentioned more than once is the odd flyer like shot. A shot that flys much further than usual, for no apparent reason.

I played the STi2’s for half a season before switching to TS-1’s. I never saw any random fliers to speak of. Ironically, I switched to them as a way of escaping the fliers I was getting with my strong lofted Mizuno Hot Metals. As far as value goes, you can’t beat the STi2. They are as forgiving as anything out there and feel very solid for a cast club. 

My only criticism and one that I never see mentioned in reviews on GW is that the finish is not very durable. I play 2-3 times per week. After a few months the chrome started wearing off the back of the clubs significantly. It didn’t affect playability obviously but after a while it started to get to me. During the same time I took serious lessons and dropped my handicap to single figures. So I decided to sell the heads and upgrade to TS-1s. I tested the TS-2 as well. Imo, the upgrade in feel, durability, and marginal performance is well worth the price tag of the TS line over the STi2. However for $22 per head, the STi2 isn’t exactly “wasted money.”

Thinking about changing out of the TSW wedges for the Max Milled. I play out of lush northeast conditions and feel like I’m giving up a bit of playability there. The sole design and effective bounce of the Max Milled wedges look like they’re perfect. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AutomationGolfer said:

Took the STI2s out on the range yesterday. They felt really good. I had the TS1s early on when I first started golfing a year ago (just loved the looks of them and bought them without much knowledge of blades vs. Gi) and they don’t feel that nice when you strike one in the middle but they have a really nice solid feel when you strike one well. I was getting good height on my shots and loved the look down at the club. Not too much top line and not too much offset either but still enough that I feel comfortable as a low 90s shooter. 

After going through buying different clubs and experimenting with one length irons, I realized that spending a whole bunch of money on new clubs wasn’t going to do anything for my game. I just wanted something brand new that I could call mine and honestly these are perfect for that. For $260 with taxes and shipping included, I don’t think I could have done better. 

907BB048-A758-43E1-86B8-CD8091C65930.jpeg

5E40E698-C04B-49D0-85E5-412DE2B768A9.jpeg

The sti2s are the best heads money can buy. Match them up with the correct shaft, length etc.., they are money.

I have a set with the maltby pro series shaft and they be the most forgiving set I've ever had.

You'll be breaking 90 real soon😁

• Like 1

15 hcp

15 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The PTM-5 has a Rapid Taper 95 in it and has been my gamer. 

How did you setup the rapid taper for use in the PTM-5? Did you tip trim at all? What kind of adapter did you use? 

Just wondering. Looking for a shaft change to spice up my current setup. Sorry if this has been answered already. 

15 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I was really struggling when the Pro saw me putt. I Had no idea where the ball was going. He said.. what's with all the hip action? .. I said.... WHAT?? NO IDEA I WAS MOVING MY HIPS.

Well I kept my hips still and was rolling the ball better than I had in a long time.

So in the mean time I had acquired a TM spider and a Bettinardi Queen B 12. Figuring of course a new putter would help. I put them against my PTM-5. The PTM-5 has a Rapid Taper 95 in it and has been my gamer.  With Putting miraculously fixed I need to settle on a putter. 

On a 7' putting mat I rolled putts from 2' on out to 6'. Swapping in the three putters I had hoped a clear favorite would arise. But honestly since all three are such great putters it was a dead heat.. and I mean it was an easy three way tie. All three putters holed almost everything. 

They all felt different and have different balance. My PTM-5 setup is the heaviest with some weight added to the grip. The other two have standard unweighted grips.. both putters are near identical in weight. 

So what it came down to was feel. The TM spider had a bit of a click as the ball left the face. A pleasing sound and felt fairly well. 

The Bettinardi #12 had more or a whack to it. Felt like a more solid putter but not a harsh feeling. 

The PTM-5 had a muted sound and a soft feel coming off the face. Over all my favorite of the three in the feel and sound faze. But it was close. 

As for alignment the Spider has a long thin like. Bettinardi #12 has a short line that is well contrasted against the gorgeous copper finsh. The alignment of the PTM-5 is less pronounced and subtly built into the head. But even though its subtle it is good size and easy to use. It was a close call between the Spider and the PTM-5. But I just kept finding my way back to the PTM-5.

All three can certainly find its way into my bag. There was no difference in performance of getting the ball into the hole. They all did it just as well. The decision as which one I liked best was more of a personal choice based on feel and sound. 

But just know the Maltby putter head gives up NOTHING to some heavy hitters in the putting game. My choice if I had to choose just one is the PTM-5.

20220209_163243.jpg

20220209_163238.jpg

20220209_163252.jpg

What you gave up on your Moment XI?  🙂

17 minutes ago, Rodrig13 said:

How did you setup the rapid taper for use in the PTM-5? Did you tip trim at all? What kind of adapter did you use? 

Just wondering. Looking for a shaft change to spice up my current setup. Sorry if this has been answered already. 

It was initially an experiment but I actually love the feel. I tip trimmed to just abiut the end of the parallel section. Them butt trimmed to length. 

The adapter is a Carbon steel adapter from Golfworks. The putters are .370 tip and since I was so close to the parallel section a bit of extra sanding was needed. 

Over all its a fantastic combo.

29 minutes ago, Taylormadegack said:

What you gave up on your Moment XI?  🙂

You know I'm a tinkerer, and I was struggling a bit with putting.Putting.. which wound up being all me. 

When the PTM-5 came out its a more my style putter. So the XI was in and out of the bag. Its was near 50 50 till I just went full time PTM-5. 

I do have a pair of these XI heads. One of them I may experiment with hydro dipping. 

But I still love the XI. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

20220209_163243.jpg

20220209_163238.jpg

20220209_163252.jpg

Popeye64, I have appreciated your posts, and your "allegiance" to Maltby ever since I joined this forum.  It led me to buy multiple times from them, and I have been super happy with my purchases and results.

I do have one possibly weird question about the putters, specifically the Maltby that you tested.  How are they for picking up the ball when you miss??  I have a "fang" putter that picks up the ball with ease so that I don't have to bend over, or I can pick up a playing partner's ball and "hand" it to them.  I realize that this cannot be done with the Spider putters, but how is the Maltby for it?

Keep the great posts coming! 

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

59 minutes ago, Eric49er said:

Popeye64, I have appreciated your posts, and your "allegiance" to Maltby ever since I joined this forum.  It led me to buy multiple times from them, and I have been super happy with my purchases and results.

I do have one possibly weird question about the putters, specifically the Maltby that you tested.  How are they for picking up the ball when you miss??  I have a "fang" putter that picks up the ball with ease so that I don't have to bend over, or I can pick up a playing partner's ball and "hand" it to them.  I realize that this cannot be done with the Spider putters, but how is the Maltby for it?

Although I don't do it that much you could with the PTM-5. It's shallow enough on the back end and has a little 'help' keeping the ball on the back of the face. The Fang is super convenient for scooping up a ball though. 

About Maltby. Early on when I fell in love with this game I was an equipment junkie. Problem was gear was so expensive. I'm not even sure how I stumbled upon Maltby. I think the first time I tried some repair work I may have found thier catalog.  When I realized I could build whole sets of clubs for 1/3 the price... yet give nothing away in performance I was hooked. I routinely test Maltby heads against various OEM heads so I know from experience what works and what doesn't. Sure there is some great gear out there from OEMs but I just can't stomach full retail. 

I have enough connections so that what OEM stuff I do aquire is at or below wholesale. 

Since I go through stretches where I will do shaft fittings I do have a Callaway Epic Max LS and a brand new TM Stealth plus. Because some guys just have to have OEM which is fine. But I like to know how they will perform with each shaft. 

4 hours ago, Eric49er said:

I have both the black and orange Moment putters and when I miss a put (which is most of them :)) I just use my foot to slide the ball on the back of the putter. Works pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Mako J said:

KE4 Max on the site. More photos and lots of details. I wonder what club is being shown at address….

The 6 iron head is in their pics.  Looks a lot more "players iron" from the address view, than I had assumed.

Interesting head design.  Sounds like it will be one of, if not the most forgiving iron towards the toe, that's ever been designed.  It has a huge 1.7" C-dimension or horizontal COG location, which positions it .096" on the toe side of center. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

The 6 iron head is in their pics.  Looks a lot more "players iron" from the address view, than I had assumed.

Interesting head design.  Sounds like it will be one of, if not the most forgiving iron towards the toe, that's ever been designed.  It has a huge 1.7" C-dimension or horizontal COG location, which positions it .096" on the toe side of center. 

Envisioning 4,5,6 all 2* weak with TS3 7-G. 

Amazing that you don’t see the back of that 6 iron at address 

On 2/10/2022 at 7:25 PM, Taylormadegack said:

I have both the black and orange Moment putters and when I miss a put (which is most of them :)) I just use my foot to slide the ball on the back of the putter. Works pretty good. 

I kick the ball just into the green side rough and slide the back of my Moment XII under it.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 2/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, Cwebb said:

Looking at the specs the sole width is .740, which is not wide, but there appears to be a lot of mass out by the toe, but above the sole, that juts out from the cavity.  Maybe the best.of both worlds without having a super wide sole but still having the mass out by the toe will lead to these being super forgiving, especially on the toe.  And I like that the adjustable weight is on the toe and hidden. 

These have some serious potential!

Screenshot_20220209-180310.png.233704e364be29008ad5780c3fda7e11.png

MA0337specs.jpg.ed17e29e1a966100a1e150c2f930e413.jpg

Edited by ode
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, Mako J said:

Envisioning 4,5,6 all 2* weak with TS3 7-G. 

Amazing that you don’t see the back of that 6 iron at address 

Why would you see the back of the 6i at address?...been playing some clunky wide sole irons off and on for years and you gotta get down pretty low in loft as well as uber wide sole for it to start to stick out!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ode said:

Why would you see the back of the 6i at address?...been playing some clunky wide sole irons off and on for years and you gotta get down pretty low in loft as well as uber wide sole for it to start to stick out!

Agree. A review of the M890 mentioned being able to see it on the 6 iron and when I look down at mine and WTF did that guy see? And even if you could what odds, it's not like you're staring at it for a couple of minutes while at address.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Agree. A review of the M890 mentioned being able to see it on the 6 iron and when I look down at mine and WTF did that guy see? And even if you could what odds, it's not like you're staring at it for a couple of minutes while at address.

It can depend on how much or how little shaft lean we have at address.  A little more forward shaft lean will expose more of the back of the cavity/sole

I can deal with a little of the “chassis”showing at address, but of course a lot of folks cannot. Similar to top line thickness and offset. 

I’m simply impressed with all that’s going on back there and you can’t see it. Very clean. 

Considering I can’t seem to get off of the toe, could be a great option. I’ve never played cast clubs though. Wonder how they’ll compare in feel to TS1, DBM, and PTM?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mako J said:

I can deal with a little of the “chassis”showing at address, but of course a lot of folks cannot. Similar to top line thickness and offset. 

I’m simply impressed with all that’s going on back there and you can’t see it. Very clean. 

Considering I can’t seem to get off of the toe, could be a great option. I’ve never played cast clubs though. Wonder how they’ll compare in feel to TS1, DBM, and PTM?

Nice thing about GW is you are able to build a test club and experiment!

If feel is going to be a determining factor and you've always played forged it's gonna be a rough transition.....but if you can get over it, you'll have a LOT more at your disposal for options.  At least you are willing to consider it👍

• Like 2