Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 hour ago, rbrdmkr said:

I agree with Popeye the finish gets a silver like finish in the sole and leading edge that adds to the character of the irons like an old Belgium Browning over under, love that look with all the performance of like new grooves. I would like to add it has been fun reading everyone’s posts about the new iron designs love to catch up on the Maltby buzz here. Happy New year!

Hey we have something in common ! Maltby and old Brownings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I just did at the UPS store 

I just priced it on ups.com.  10 lbs, 42x6x4, no insurance or extras, for retail purchase at a UPS Store in  a random NYC zip to a residential address in Beverly Hills 90210. 🙂

$31.xx

I’ll try a screenshot.

B307FC90-A16B-47D1-B2AC-146F9C0836AB.jpeg

• Sad 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

That's a Near Virgin head. You're good to go. 

Haven’t had one of those since Ely Callaway was making wine. Lol

• Haha 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

12 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

An email reply from Britt on early TS3 TS4 Testing. Although he has no final versions on hand he may have them in 2 months. So there is a really good... but not in stone...chance I'll be able to do an early review/comparison of some sorts. 

As excited as he is about the new heads he is hesitant as he can't have me test pre production pieces. He was even balking on that release of photos he dropped. 

Regardless I'm very hopeful to have something for you guys to chew on in a few months. I'll certainly check back in with him in a month or two.

Stand-By to Stand-By

Assume Britt peaks in on this thread periodically.  But if not, relay to him how much the Maltby clan appreciates teaser drops.  Really waiting for the release of the Max wedges.  Hoping the 6 - 8 weeks timeframe holds;  I'm good with April.  A 58/8 1.05 has my name on it.  What's the skinny with being able to get your hands on one for some prelim evaluation?  Standing by.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

4 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Assume Britt peaks in on this thread periodically.  But if not, relay to him how much the Maltby clan appreciates teaser drops.  Really waiting for the release of the Max wedges.  Hoping the 6 - 8 weeks timeframe holds;  I'm good with April.  A 58/8 1.05 has my name on it.  What's the skinny with being able to get your hands on one for some prelim evaluation?  Standing by.  

Actually he says he does not check on forums or social media posts aside from thier own forum. 

As for the Max wedges I'll grab them as soon as they show up.

I'll do direct comparison between the Max, TSW and the old M Series +. Might be time for some actual videos. 

• Like 3

The KE4 Tour+ irons are all back in stock.  I was thinking they were going to discontinue these, but glad that they didn't.    A really good choice for those looking for a non spring face design, that is really forgiving overall and one of the most forgiving towards the toe that I've ever tested.  They have the really long C-dimension...and Britt said that these actually have a COG that is a hair on the toe side of center.

They also have the ability to go several grams lighter than standard, because of the weight screw.  A nice option for well over "standard" length builds.

Maltby KE4 Tour + Iron Heads (golfworks.com)

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 3:39 PM, Popeye64 said:

An email reply from Britt on early TS3 TS4 Testing. Although he has no final versions on hand he may have them in 2 months. So there is a really good... but not in stone...chance I'll be able to do an early review/comparison of some sorts. 

As excited as he is about the new heads he is hesitant as he can't have me test pre production pieces. He was even balking on that release of photos he dropped. 

Regardless I'm very hopeful to have something for you guys to chew on in a few months. I'll certainly check back in with him in a month or two.

Stand-By to Stand-By

Excited to here your thoughts (whenever they are shared).  Britt's 'leaked' pics and mention of a "Pro" driver have locked me in for a complete bag of Maltby in the coming year(s).  Really like their products and derived great joy from building clubs in my garage over the last 2yrs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

On 1/3/2022 at 3:39 PM, Popeye64 said:

Stand-By to Stand-By

Two things (three things). 1) Thank you for reaching out to him.  2) Tell Britt no damage done from an early pre-production photo, quite the opposite. 3) In a response to me on his forum he alludes to “possibly another in the works”. My question was around why the TS4 given the TS1. He said the demand is there and maybe even another.  Want to track that mystery statement down?  ( If you are interested)

thanks again

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, Popeye64 said:

Interesting video that Features a TE head. 

Let's not start a crazy pured vs non pured discussion...  but I thought it was cool they used a TE head. 

The TEs were my first forged irons, they were sturdy.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

17 hours ago, Mrtkopa said:

Two things (three things). 1) Thank you for reaching out to him.  2) Tell Britt no damage done from an early pre-production photo, quite the opposite. 3) In a response to me on his forum he alludes to “possibly another in the works”. My question was around why the TS4 given the TS1. He said the demand is there and maybe even another.  Want to track that mystery statement down?  ( If you are interested)

thanks again

Britt has something up his sleeve on the construction technique for the TS4. I'm not sure what they have come up with but it's not injected. 

They may have realized they want to expand of this new method. 

They have pushed the envelope over the years and have rarely if ever gotten credit for the milestones. 

As for why on the TS4. A ton of guys want a solid forged 'blade' iron that only Maltby does. Looks nasty but its easy to hit... Ala MMB-17. Not everyone embraces the hollow blade designs. 

When I chat with him down the road I'll ask. In the spring I hope to take a road trip to head quarters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I see the KE Max according to Britt will be pretty strongly lofted. I just snagged some Takomo 101 irons off eBay for basically free.    

They have moved to lower lofts on all their irons, outside of the designs that have been around for a long time, like the TE/DBM irons.

Basically all their stock specs work off a 44/45* "Pw" now

3 hours ago, Cwebb said:

They have moved to lower lofts on all their irons, outside of the designs that have been around for a long time, like the TE/DBM irons.

Basically all their stock specs work off a 44/45* "Pw" now

For sure. But with respect to other brands today most irons are coming in at 30* or less for a 7 iron. As far as I know only the TS2 comes in that loft. 

I still would like to see Maltby do a Cast , polymer injected iron to go after the Sub70 699 , Takomo 101 or Hayward irons . I get the TS2 is basically it but I feel like cheap cast version could really grow Maltby 

Edited by TallGuy90
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mrtkopa said:

Is it possible the TS4 comes in at $15 per head cheaper than a TS1?  Maybe around the $35/ head range? I am guessing the TS1 is a multi-step assembly process.  Might the TS4 be a simpler and cheaper process?

That's a good point.  I think both the TS3 and TS4 could possibly be at a lower price point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrtkopa said:

Is it possible the TS4 comes in at $15 per head cheaper than a TS1?  Maybe around the $35/ head range? I am guessing the TS1 is a multi-step assembly process.  Might the TS4 be a simpler and cheaper process?

I just don't see those heads coming in at that price point. 

Raw material costs have gone way up. Shipping costs have quadrupled. Supply chain, work force nightmares to boot. 

I would expect these no less than $40/. Just look at where the TSW heads are. $41 and $44(DRM). Being forged without the cavity and filling should of course have them cheaper than the TS-1, 2 but not by a lot. Not in this market. Also they being a true forged design. Won't be a low cost head. 

Plus Britt was talking about some new kind of process with the TS4 in its make up. No telling if that's read as being expensive to make. 

Either way when you finish building your set of clubs you are still way, way under an OEM cost. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mako J said:

Hey Popeye,

Any word on if the 3,4 may also offer the DRM finish?

Also, how’s the DRM finish wearing on your wedges? Willing to share any photos? 

I love the look of my DBM and PTM irons as they wear.

It's been a while since I asked if that DRM was going to be used. Last answer was , they were testing to see if it can be done. No guarantees when or if it will make it on any iron serie. The various Carbon steel formulas all act differently to the process. 

I'm still away for another 10 days but I'll post up how the DRM wedges looks when I get back. No crazy oxidation or signs of wear to date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I just don't see those heads coming in at that price point. 

Raw material costs have gone way up. Shipping costs have quadrupled. Supply chain, work force nightmares to boot. 

I would expect these no less than $40/. Just look at where the TSW heads are. $41 and $44(DRM). Being forged without the cavity and filling should of course have them cheaper than the TS-1, 2 but not by a lot. Not in this market. Also they being a true forged design. Won't be a low cost head. 

Plus Britt was talking about some new kind of process with the TS4 in its make up. No telling if that's read as being expensive to make. 

Either way when you finish building your set of clubs you are still way, way under an OEM cost. 

When I finish building my set, I am not only way under the OEM price, I have the shaft I want and clubs I would not trade for an OEM set even if offered a straight up trade. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1