2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

In my opinion, MOI is overrated for irons.  A longer "C-dimension" or horizontal COG contributes more to making an iron easier to hit than a higher MOI does.

Agreed.  A higher MOI will really only benefit a player that is all over the clubface with their impact.  The closer you hit toward the sweet spot, the less important it is.

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

In my opinion, MOI is overrated for irons.  A longer "C-dimension" or horizontal COG contributes more to making an iron easier to hit than a higher MOI does.

Agreed.  A higher MOI will really only benefit a player that is all over the clubface with their impact.  The closer you hit toward the sweet spot, the less important it is.

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

It sounds like the designs with lower AVCOG's don't fit you as well, so you just need to try something a little higher,.... but not too high, as in near the center of the ball or higher, which will generally make an iron more difficult to hit in the vertical aspect of impact.

The MMB irons have a C-dimension at 1.391".  The Ke4 Max are at 1.659", which is as long as you will find for that profile and face length.  In other words, they have a lot of area to work with across the face....and they have an AVCOG at .758", which is "mid" within the optimal zone below the center of the ball and not likely to be too low.

I'd try the Max first.  Then go from there

Curious how MOI and C-Dim are related.  Since MOI is 'resistance to twisting' wouldn't a high MOI design naturally have a large C-Dim, and vice versa?  Or does the MOI calculated by Maltby rely more strongly on other parameters, and C-Dim becomes less impactful to the calc?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

12 minutes ago, Klubster said:

Of course if we could all hit close to the sweet spot consistently then SGI irons wouldn't exist lol. Seriously though I do think you may only need so much MOI in an iron before there's a diminishing return. Sometimes I think the MPF prioritizes CoG a bit too much, but I might feel differently if I had more trouble elevating my iron shots.

5 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Curious how MOI and C-Dim are related.  Since MOI is 'resistance to twisting' wouldn't a high MOI design naturally have a large C-Dim, and vice versa?  Or does the MOI calculated by Maltby rely more strongly on other parameters, and C-Dim becomes less impactful to the calc?

My understanding is that a high MOI has the weight of the head distributed toward the heel and toe to resist twisting while a lower MOI has more weight behind the sweet spot.  The C dim is related to how far toward the toe the COG is located.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

They're actually not as closely related as you might think, at first.  Here's an interesting example from Ye Olde Days, from Macgregor; the famous CF4000.  Rather high MOI for a blade, but note that very low C Dimension:

image.png.d919a5a63fd6c866ef1e7c06bd503788.png

MOI is generally heel/toe weighting, to prevent twisting on mishit contact.  Add a longer hosel and you'll get something like what you see above.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Crazy question....is anyone using the TS1-IM 3I as a "driving iron"?  I know there is the KE4 FDI but I've historically struggled with large club heads with offset.  Never been a fan of the bulky driving irons and figured the TS1-IM may be forgiving enough.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

After 4+ years of playing the OG TS-1's, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to move on.  I've continued to get older (closing in on 73), the mishits seem to be more frequent, the current shafts are becoming problematic.  Time to MAX out.  Before jumping in totally, have a 7 iron in the cart, ready to order, for a quick evaluation.  With a Kuro Kage A flex shaft.  Seems to check the boxes for a LW iron shaft (but at 73g uncut, not excessively so), mid-trajectory, at a reasonable price point.  Anyone have experience with the KK shaft?  Doesn't seem to get mentioned much in these friendly confines.  The comments about MPF shafts playing stiff to flex makes me nervous. TIA for opinions.  

Plus a 54* Max 1.05 wedge to finally do away with the TSW 54* that I've never gotten along with the entire time it's been in the bag.  Already have a 58* 1.05 that plays quite nicely, so anticipating more of the same.  And a PTM-4 putter that I've been eyeballing forever.  After several years of the same, time for some new "feels".  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

10 minutes ago, PPhil said:

@NRJyzr here’s a few pics of one.  found this 2i at st vinnies a few weeks ago for a couple bucks.  What a relic! Saucy top line

IMG_2188.png

IMG_2186.jpeg

They're dangerous things.  Almost broke both my wrists when I tried hitting a golf ball with a 7i once and the club head dead stopped in terra firma.  MPF of -341 for a reason.  They were lookers though: 

6A4F90C4-F914-4329-96FC-144B6A7E1B7C_1_105_c.jpeg.1281256556709264b72786885ebf184e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

28 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

They're dangerous things.  Almost broke both my wrists when I tried hitting a golf ball with a 7i once and the club head dead stopped in terra firma.  MPF of -341 for a reason.  They were lookers though: 

6A4F90C4-F914-4329-96FC-144B6A7E1B7C_1_105_c.jpeg.1281256556709264b72786885ebf184e.jpeg

I started playing and learning golf in early to mid 80's on my father's 1960's-1970's Walter Haigen blades!  My first set of my own irons was Spaulding Executives box set!   How much easier the Spaulding were to hit than the Haigs.  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

They're actually not as closely related as you might think, at first.  Here's an interesting example from Ye Olde Days, from Macgregor; the famous CF4000.  Rather high MOI for a blade, but note that very low C Dimension:

image.png.d919a5a63fd6c866ef1e7c06bd503788.png

MOI is generally heel/toe weighting, to prevent twisting on mishit contact.  Add a longer hosel and you'll get something like what you see above.

Impossible to hit the CG without getting a little shanky...

3 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Impossible to hit the CG without getting a little shanky...

It's close, but the CDim is measured at the sole (I know that you know this; it's more a general added comment 😉). 

As high as that CG is, there's a little room there.  Emphasis on "little"    😁

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It's close, but the CDim is measured at the sole (I know that you know this; it's more a general added comment 😉). 

As high as that CG is, there's a little room there.  Emphasis on "little"    😁

That certainly helps. I just worry when I am counting on the ball not compressing much to mitigate a shank. I’ve hit shots where just a tiny bit of the ball flattens onto the hosel. Weirdest ball flight. It can make you a little nervous on the next swing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

That certainly helps. I just worry when I am counting on the ball not compressing much to mitigate a shank. I’ve hit shots where just a tiny bit of the ball flattens onto the hosel. Weirdest ball flight. It can make you a little nervous on the next swing.

I know this feeling a little too well.  My primary miss is heel side, there are far too many instances in my memory of seeing the ball mark with a hint of touching the hosel.  

Cringing at my keyboard thinking about it.  LOL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, achappy said:

Crazy question....is anyone using the TS1-IM 3I as a "driving iron"?  I know there is the KE4 FDI but I've historically struggled with large club heads with offset.  Never been a fan of the bulky driving irons and figured the TS1-IM may be forgiving enough.

It’s not crazy, I’ll probably build one when I get bored this summer.  It’s a high launch low spin rocket of clubhead

3 hours ago, achappy said:

I am also interested in this question as I have been wondering about doing the same thing. Titleist is billing T200 UDIs and Taylor Made is doing the same with P790s this year—just noting because those felt similar to the TS1 IMs in my experience trying stuff. The TS3 4 iron is also 22* and you could bend that to 20*. 

I play TS3s and am wondering about building out some kind of 19-21* iron. I like my 20* hybrid but it has a tendency to go left too often when squared up. Also would prefer something I can control the trajectory on for that slot in my bag. 

39 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I know this feeling a little too well.  My primary miss is heel side, there are far too many instances in my memory of seeing the ball mark with a hint of touching the hosel.  

Cringing at my keyboard thinking about it.  LOL

The heel hit has been my miss lately. I've always missed towards the toe, but every time I make an improvement I then go too far the other way. I much prefer the toe strikes lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KCEE said:

The heel hit has been my miss lately. I've always missed towards the toe, but every time I make an improvement I then go too far the other way. I much prefer the toe strikes lol

Funny, I'm the opposite.  I've long missed heel, wished it was otherwise and when it showed up for a while, I found I hated it.  LOL

I find it easier to make adjustments to avoid the occasional hoselus lateralus than to deal with toe hits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

Picked up my irons last night.   TS-3 4-5, TS-4 6-GW.  Recoil Dart V 105 F4 shafts with tour velvet +4 grips.  Going to try to get to the range for a bit today if I can. 

20240425_161941.jpg

20240425_161950.jpg

20240425_162419.jpg

20240425_162429.jpg

This is excellent.  Thanks for posting pics. I was thinking about adding the TS3 4-5 to my TS4 set. The TS4 4 iron is a little more intimidating than I prefer.

4 hours ago, Gdashoff said:

The Ke4 max 4i is also a fantastic driving iron. I had the Ke4 FDI but couldn't stand how chunky it looked. The way they hid the back weight on the max make them look much slimmer.

Definitely considering that too! I hit a KE4 Max 7i and was impressed by how slim that looked. Just stuck deciding between shafts and heads for this slot in my bag. 

A couple questions about C-dim & actual vcog - 

1) The charts always show the numbers for a 6i. Do the numbers stay pretty much the same throughout the irons?

2) If, for example for the TS1 IM, the actual vcog is .788 & the C-dim is 1.462, if I were to measure (approximately) 1 1/2” from the center of the hosel & 3/4” up from the sole & put a dot at that intersection, would that be the COG of the iron, (unshafted head would balance on a pen at that point) & would that be the perfect impact point?

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined